Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Gloucestershire sign Naseem Shah

Gloucestershire Cricket is delighted to announce the signing of Pakistan pace bowler Naseem Shah.

The 18-year-old rising star of the international game will be available to play in all formats of cricket for The Shire for the first few months of the 2022 season, up until the end of the Club's participation in the T20 Vitality Blast tournament group stages.

If Naseem, however, is called up for international duty from June onwards, he will be released back to Pakistan for participation with his national team.

As an exciting talent, Shah has already played in nine Test matches for Pakistan since making his debut against Australia in 2019, aged 16, in a match that saw him claim the wicket of David Warner.

Just a month after making his debut, Shah became the second youngest player in history to take a five-wicket haul in a single innings, with 5/31 against Sri Lanka.

In summer 2020 Shah was then included in Pakistan’s squad for their tour of England. Featuring in the first Test match at Old Trafford, which England won by three wickets, Shah finished on 1/44 with a bowling economy of 2.75 in the first innings, taking the wicket of Ollie Pope in the process, before he dismissed England captain Joe Root in the second innings.

In the third Test match in Southampton, a terrific delivery from Shah had Root caught behind by Mohammad Rizwan.

Shah’s last Test appearance for Pakistan was against New Zealand, in January 2021, and he also featured heavily for Pakistan A during the team’s tour of Sri Lanka in October and November last year.

The right-arm fast bowler played in two Tests and an ODI against Sri Lanka A and finished the tour with standout figures of 5/53, 4/28 and 2/26 from the three fixtures.

Speaking of his delight at signing for Glos, Naseem Shah said: “I’m extremely happy to be joining Gloucestershire and can’t wait to experience playing in English cricket for the first time. I’m excited for what we can achieve as a team next season and will use all my skills to help Gloucestershire challenge for silverware across all formats.”

Shah is the fifth player to sign for The Shire since the end of the 2021 season and he will link up with the playing squad, including fellow new additions Marcus Harris, Ajeet Singh Dale, Paul van Meekeren and Zafar Gohar for pre-season training.

Most recently Shah took part in two tournaments in Pakistan with Southern Punjab; the National T20 Cup competition in October and November as well as the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy in December.

He has also been selected for the Pakistan Test squad for a three-match series against Australia in March.

Steve Snell, Performance Director at Gloucestershire Cricket, said: “Naseem Shah is a fantastic talent and we’re thrilled that he’s decided to come and join us for next season. Naseem will bring further depth to our pace bowling department and will provide exciting competition for places in our seam bowling ranks.

“I have heard fantastic things about Naseem’s attitude and his willingness to stand up in the tough moments in games. I’ve got no doubt that Naseem, with the quality he has, will give us a great chance of achieving success.”

Will Brown, Gloucestershire Cricket Chief Executive, added: “What a way to start 2022; Naseem is an incredibly exciting player to watch and we can’t wait for fans to get a first glimpse of him in action in Bristol at the start of the season.

“It’s a real coup for the Club to secure Naseem and we have every confidence that our talented group of players will be able to compete with the very best in Division One of the County Championship.”

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great news for him and it will be a boost for his career development. I hope the PCB don't unnecessarily call him up for international duty just to have carrying drinks, and let him get the best out of his county spell.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    County cricket works great for non-English cricketers.

This could be the making of Naseem Shah. It's great it's not just a 4-over T20 bash too.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Mar 2021
    Venue
    The Universe
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent news and delighted he will play in the county championship too. Hope he takes this opportunity to learn and develop and yes, agreed with the DeadlyVenom - PCB has a tendency to be petty and could easily call him up with no intention of playing him. Let him have this season. It will do him the world of good and he can earn some good cash too.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just don't call him after couple of 5fers in county this season will make him a great bowler

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is great news in development of Naseem Shah. Many players do not get the opportunity to play in county championships primarily due to national duties. Naseem should look forward to this opportunity and as Pakistan will be primarily be playing home test matches during the summer its best they let Naseem have a full county season and do not recall him.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1076 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Good for him. He will get some good experience and is a great future asset for pakistan.

Was going through another thread of naseem and it was hilarious how his fans defended him as the next best thing. @Mamoon was absolutely right when he pointed out that the kid was being overhyped. He took wicket of joe root and the hype brigade had gone crazy. Later on the hype brigade went quiet and started to bash others...

Hopefully naseem does well in county and is able to develop himself. He is not ready for international cricket as of yet. Spend a few years in domestic and than lets see

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    Good for him. He will get some good experience and is a great future asset for pakistan.

Was going through another thread of naseem and it was hilarious how his fans defended him as the next best thing. @Mamoon was absolutely right when he pointed out that the kid was being overhyped. He took wicket of joe root and the hype brigade had gone crazy. Later on the hype brigade went quiet and started to bash others...

Hopefully naseem does well in county and is able to develop himself. He is not ready for international cricket as of yet. Spend a few years in domestic and than lets see
    He is an asset for sure and the set up will allow him to work with qualified / seasoned coaches. His fans are a bit OTT though, they couldn’t see much difference between his performances and Jofra Archer.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Nobody hyped him as much as he himself:

1. I want to see fear in the batsman's eyes.

2. I don't fear Kohli but I respect him.

And his shenanigans with his age in the 2018-19 period.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post

My replies to those two points:

1. He probably has seen fear in some batsmen's eyes. He was definitely too much to handle for some of the SA U19 players he played against. He's seen that in club cricket as well. That's all he meant, really.

2. If a reporter asks you as an international bowler whether you're afraid of Kohli, should you say "yes, very much" or something along the lines of what Naseem said?

All that said, people certainly expected too much from him and he was inducted into the main team when he wasn't ready. He still isn't ready for test cricket. Hopefully, he continues to learn the art of taking wickets.
    Last edited by Third Man; 11th January 2022 at 19:08.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why should anyone fear Kohli, Root, Smith or Kane.
    They are all batsman, not contract killers.

At the international level no one should be afraid of anyone else, they should respect each other, and that's all.

Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I found him cringe when he was first picked up. A 16-17 year old needs to stay away from giving interviews and social media as much as possible. It was awful by Pak management to send Naseem and Zafar to presser after 2nd test in NZ last year.

Hopefully county will hold him in good stead and will improve. Much better to be spending considerable time there and learn from the professional coaches and senior team mates than playing in meaningless t20 leagues.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    18 year old

Nonetheless, fantastic opportunity for Naseem. I don't think anyone can predict how he'll do out there so it's going to be fascinating to see.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Fantastic opportunity for the young man to improve as a cricketer and gain some useful county experience at a young age.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

On potential he very much could have been the next thing.

Bowling 145+ with that beautiful action and getting natural swing (far more than the likes of Shaheen/ Hasnain/ Rauf had at the beginning) made for some exciting potential.

The double standards of Mamoon were exposed when he continued to call the far more experienced and senior Archer the best in the world while he bowled rubbish all around the world and at a slower pace.

Naseem was held to a much higher standard (in test cricket).

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don’t understand why he’s singled out for his comments, doesn’t this apply to other bowlers?

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1076 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum363 View Post
    On potential he very much could have been the next thing.

Bowling 145+ with that beautiful action and getting natural swing (far more than the likes of Shaheen/ Hasnain/ Rauf had at the beginning) made for some exciting potential.

The double standards of Mamoon were exposed when he continued to call the far more experienced and senior Archer the best in the world while he bowled rubbish all around the world and at a slower pace.

Naseem was held to a much higher standard (in test cricket).
    Brother, potentially every crickter from the ages groups are a good player. However to be good enough for international why not let the bowler prove himself in domestic first.

Naseem still could be the next big thing, but let him first bowl in domestic games and let him learn the line and lengths needed to bowl at.

Even if he makes a return at the age of 23 he could still be the next greatest bowler for us.

Also its not upto pcb to develop but its on naseem himself. How much work he is willing to put in or how good is he.

Archer won england a world cup. He was fast tracked by ECB for nationality and ended up winning a world cup for them and that the first ever. It doesnt matter now what jofra does as he has achieved that status that no other english of the past did.

He suffers from injuries time to time....

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good opportunity for him to improve his cricket.The pitches in England at the start of the season are helpful for fast bowling.I expect him to trouble batsmen provided he bowls the right line and length.

Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really really hope Pakistan don’t call him up for the Australia tour (inshAllah it happens) or for the rescheduled Windies ODIs. The lad needs all the first class cricket he can get, and the quality coaching he can get. The coach there is Dale Benkenstein, who has just joined as head coach.

It’s a great opportunity as well, because they don’t seem to have any other big name bowlers on their squad, thus Nadeem should get good game time. It’ll also be at a decent level I.e. Division 1, given that Gloucester just got promoted from Division 2 last season.

Lastly, it will be a great help for Naseem to have Zafar Gohar around, in terms of Naseem settling in with the rest of the squad.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Could be a turning point in his career. How is he still 18? He was at least 17 in 2018.
    Last edited by BreadPakoda; 12th January 2022 at 03:49.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Brother, potentially every crickter from the ages groups are a good player. However to be good enough for international why not let the bowler prove himself in domestic first.

Naseem still could be the next big thing, but let him first bowl in domestic games and let him learn the line and lengths needed to bowl at.

Even if he makes a return at the age of 23 he could still be the next greatest bowler for us.

Also its not upto pcb to develop but its on naseem himself. How much work he is willing to put in or how good is he.

Archer won england a world cup. He was fast tracked by ECB for nationality and ended up winning a world cup for them and that the first ever. It doesnt matter now what jofra does as he has achieved that status that no other english of the past did.

He suffers from injuries time to time....
    I completely agree with you. But every now and again, aren’t there some young players who make you more excited than others? Naseem shah is the first bowler to give me that feeling since Amir. In terms of batting I would say the same about Haider Ali. Completely agree that this is subjective and not yet based on performance.

I have no idea how their careers will turn out. If I was a betting man, and I looked at the past track record of pakistani youngsters, I would say they will massively under-achieve and have stop start careers. However that doesn’t stop the initial excitement.

With Naseem this feeling was felt by quite a lot who watched him bowl, hence the ‘hype’ that he generated.

Archer did not win England the World Cup, any more than Hassan Ali won us a champions trophy. He performed brilliantly as part of a strong England team. But that, or the fact that he was fast tracked, don’t define his career or put him on a pedestal where he doesn’t get treated like Naseem.

Archer bowled brilliantly in the World Cup + 1 test and was rubbish after that. Naseem had some good performances against minnows and then bowled rubbish after that. Both of them made statements they probably shouldn’t have. Archer also breached protocol and put lives at risk.

But one received constant hate while the other was universally praised and hyped.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2653 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Great news.

He’s probably 21 years old.

He has a lovely action but needs lots of red ball experience to learn what deliveries to bowl in what order. Exactly what Mitchell Starc didn’t get when he was young enough to learn.

I’d prefer for Pakistan to let him play the whole season.

Gloucestershire has a great history of refining Pakistani cricketers - previously they turned Zaheer Abbas from “good” to “exceptional”, and Sadiq Mohammad from “very limited” to “decent”.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    536 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for him. He can get great experience by playing there.

Bangladeshi Man

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for him. Had felt a bit sad about the flak he had received a couple of years back, hopefully this experience marks a turnaround.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    What could help him also is that Zafar Gohar will be there at Gloucestershire too.

Useful for a young man playing County cricket for the first time to have a countryman at the same club.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dildilpak View Post
    Good for him. Had felt a bit sad about the flak he had received a couple of years back, hopefully this experience marks a turnaround.
    People expect miracles from every young Pakistani fast bowlers.There are some exceptional players who start performing from day one but most players need time to develop.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great News.

I hope Mark Thorburn is still the pace bowling coach who will hopefully help Naeem Shah tap on his potential and improve his potency.

Anything away from Waqar Younis's bowling coaching is better.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good news for him, and hopefully in the wake of the Ashes debacle this upcoming County season will start to have its standards raised from this year onwards and will provide a great test & learning experience for young players.