Should the PM step down? Boris Johnson vows to battle on despite 50+ ministerial resignations

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should Boris Johnson resign as UK Prime Minister?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he should

12 100.00%
  • No, he should not

0 0%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Should the PM step down? Boris Johnson vows to battle on despite 50+ ministerial resignations

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has apologised for attending a "bring your own booze" party during the first coronavirus lockdown.

He told MPs the event in the Downing Street garden was "technically within the rules" but he should have realised how it would look to the public.

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer said the PM must now quit over what he called his "ridiculous" lies and excuses.

Mr Johnson is also under pressure from his own MPs over the May 2020 party.

The Commons fell silent at the start of Prime Minister's Questions, as Mr Johnson admitted he had been at the event for about 25 minutes, so that he could "thank groups of staff" for their hard work.

He said: "I believed implicitly that this was a work event."

But he added: "With hindsight I should have sent everyone back inside.

"I should have found some other way to thank them, and I should have recognised that - even if it could have been said technically to fall within the guidance - there would be millions and millions of people who simply would not see it that way."

He sat stony-faced as opposition MPs called for him to quit as prime minister, or for his own MPs to force him out. In all, the PM faced eight calls to stand down during the Commons question session.

Sir Keir Starmer said: "There we have it. After months of deceit and deception, the pathetic spectacle of a man who has run out of road.
    "His defence...that he didn't realise he was at a party is so ridiculous that it's actually offensive to the British public.

"He's finally been forced to admit what everyone knew, that when the whole country was locked down he was hosting boozing parties in Downing Street. Is he now going to do the decent thing and resign?"

Mr Johnson said he understood the "rage" of people who had "made huge sacrifices throughout this pandemic" at the thought "that people in Downing Street were not following those rules".

"I regret the way the event I have described was handled. I bitterly regret it. And wish that we could have done things differently."

But he urged MPs to wait for the outcome of an inquiry by senior civil servant Sue Gray into alleged Covid law-breaking in Downing Street, which he said "will report as soon as possible".

SNP Westminster leader Ian Blackford said that if Mr Johnson had "no sense of shame", then the Tory backbenchers "must act to remove him".

Liberal Democrat leader Sir Ed Davey also called on the PM to resign.

Tweeting after the Mr Johnson's statement, Conservative MP Sir Roger Gale said: "'Bring a bottle' to a 'work event' is a novel idea! Very thin ice indeed."

But fellow Tory backbencher Sir Christopher Chope said it was "monumental relief" that the PM had answered the "basic question" about whether he was at the party or or not.

He told the BBC's Politics Live that the PM was "genuinely sincere" in his apology and he had "realised that he had done the wrong thing".

— — —
    Last edited by James; 7th July 2022 at 12:02.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Where’s the poll?

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Where’s the poll?
    You may need to change to full site view.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I voted Yes by the way…

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - It's very clear that the knives are out and he hasn't done the right thing even once during this mess. He has tried to cowardly weasel his way out of every challenge that has been thrown his way during his leadership and it was only possible because he had a huge majority.

Now the backbenchers are against him, the RW media are against him and it has galvanised a split opposition party to come together and hammer him on an issue that is relatively insignificant but carries huge symbolic and emotional value. The opposition can forever bring up examples of dead grannys and missed funerals and it is the type of issue that even the most non-political people in the country will get behind.

The longer he hangs on the longer that it damages the party. The next GE is around 2 years away and the next leader will want time in the public eye so that they aren't tainted by Bojos legacy. The leader of the Scottish Conservatives knowing that a Scottish election is imminent has openly called for him to resign.

I suspect he will be pushed out soon.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    You may need to change to full site view.
    Dunno how on my phone.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Dunno how on my phone.
    Works on PC! Voted Yes.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Works on PC! Voted Yes.
    Good man.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    853 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If he has any shame he should go tonight.

Scaring others not to see their family while having parties at the same time.

It wont really matter as some other numpty will be placed in charge. UK politics has turned into a joke, a local samosa stall is better run.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What’s happening in the world?

If someone is elected democratically doesn’t matter if it is Modi, Imran, Boris, Trump or Biden, let them at least complete their term.

Every other day some things happens and suddenly people who don’t subscribe to the political philosophy just disrupt everything else with these stupid protests and whining.

The only power the public has in most democratic countries is the power of vote. Just use that and throw the leader out instead on getting a rage on about every damn political thing and picking sides, just suck it up and ride it out.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    If he has any shame he should go tonight.
    He doesn’t. He has no moral compass. He will have to be pushed out.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Local.Dada View Post

If someone is elected democratically doesn’t matter if it is Modi, Imran, Boris, Trump or Biden, let them at least complete their term.

Every other day some things happens and suddenly people who don’t subscribe to the political philosophy just disrupt everything else with these stupid protests and whining.

The only power the public has in most democratic countries is the power of vote. Just use that and throw the leader out instead on getting a rage on about every damn political thing and picking sides, just suck it up and ride it out.
    He was democratically elected MP for Uxbridge.

Tories elected him Leader, not the people. Tories can remove him as Leader.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Local.Dada View Post

I agree that Boris won the election convincingly as the face of the Conservative Party, this is a fact. I also agree that it is usually the voters who get to choose their leaders at set intervals.

But if a leader’s actions in office are so poor that they act as an effective forfeit to the job that the voters hired him to do before his term is completed, then it becomes either his responsibility to do the decent thing and resign, or it will be down to his own parliamentary party to replace him.

Boris has no honour or integrity as a man, so I think it’ll be the latter…

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Boris should resign for such a balatant disregard for the law but he has got away with it before and will do so in the future
    Last edited by transparent opacity; 12th January 2022 at 23:58.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    853 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    Boris should resign for such a balatant disregard for the law but he has got away with it before and will do so in the future

Remember after locking down telling others not to travel, he was on his bike ridning for miles.

The real issue isnt Boris, its the British public who are in some sort of Psychosis .
    Last edited by James; 13th January 2022 at 00:03.

Debut
    Oct 2019
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scottish Conservative leader Douglas Ross has said Boris Johnson's position as Prime minister "is no longer tenable".

Mr Ross said Mr Johnson should resign, telling reporters: "I said yesterday if the Prime Minister attended this gathering, party, event in Downing Street on May 20 then he could not continue as Prime Minister.
    "So regretfully I have to say his position is no longer tenable."

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He was democratically elected MP for Uxbridge.

Tories elected him Leader, not the people. Tories can remove him as Leader.
    I think you need to mention the fact in a GE a leader is not on the ballot; but local MPs are. We do not have the same voting system as USA.

We never vote for a leader to be PM, but our local MO, and the party with most seats, wins.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Remember after locking down telling others not to travel, he was on his bike ridning for miles.

The real issue isnt Boris, its the British public who are in some sort of Psychosis .
    Daily exercise was allowed during lockdown. I rode my bike miles every day.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't Boris should resign. While the country was in lockdown, the government had to continue working. Sure it doesn't look good but if the government were at home and not in office then there'd be more complaints over neglegance and incompetence. Someone had to keep the lights on!

Remember, there were more calls for Blair to resign after Iraq, he still continued as PM.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    853 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Daily exercise was allowed during lockdown. I rode my bike miles every day.
    The government advice was to not to travel outside of your area for excercise. He rode his bike 7 miles away.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    853 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Technics 1210 View Post
    I don't Boris should resign. While the country was in lockdown, the government had to continue working. Sure it doesn't look good but if the government were at home and not in office then there'd be more complaints over neglegance and incompetence. Someone had to keep the lights on!

Remember, there were more calls for Blair to resign after Iraq, he still continued as PM.

Sure but out of respect dont get drunk, eat cheese and have a laugh. If this is work, I want to apply for his job

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sure but out of respect dont get drunk, eat cheese and have a laugh. If this is work, I want to apply for his job
    Booze at work is quite a common theme in UK whether after hours or at lunch.

However what I find intriguing is that this story is well over a year old, why has it come to light now? I think Cummins has a role to play in this for sure.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    853 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

However what I find intriguing is that this story is well over a year old, why has it come to light now? I think Cummins has a role to play in this for sure.
    Sure but we have to look at the circumstances. You know my stance, life has never stopped for me but some were and still are scared they could die at anytime.

The powers that be just want another puppet, a fresh face without criticism to continue their agenda. Come on bro, you are smart enough to know these leaders are just actors, they dont make the real key important decisions.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sure but we have to look at the circumstances. You know my stance, life has never stopped for me but some were and still are scared they could die at anytime.

The powers that be just want another puppet, a fresh face without criticism to continue their agenda. Come on bro, you are smart enough to know these leaders are just actors, they dont make the real key important decisions.
    I don't deny UK leaders are puppets of Zionists, and I have always maintained parliamentary democracy in the UK is a sham. But Boris resigning now will only kick the can down the road.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    The government advice was to not to travel outside of your area for excercise. He rode his bike 7 miles away.
    I just went round in a big circle.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

And other sources in the Cabinet, drip-feeding their press contacts with tidbits. These Tories are all applying leverage, playing their cards to advance.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    853 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I don't deny UK leaders are puppets of Zionists, and I have always maintained parliamentary democracy in the UK is a sham. But Boris resigning now will only kick the can down the road.
    They need to get rid of Boris because booster take up is only around 60%. When public feels those in power arent sticking to rules or not taking it seriously, neither will they.

Get another puppet in like Rishi, he will convince a few more.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There are information leakers within government (possibly mid and senior civil servants within the deep state) who are tired of Boris as PM imo.

Debut
    Aug 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They need to get rid of Boris because booster take up is only around 60%. When public feels those in power arent sticking to rules or not taking it seriously, neither will they.

Get another puppet in like Rishi, he will convince a few more.
    Sunak seems to be the logical choice, but with the conservatives losing trust amongst their supporters, sunak could be a problem to claw back trust specially amongst the large right wing Brexitiers, I reckon Gove will be the next conservative leader.

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kkwc is right they want to get rid of boris so they can continue with this covid scare of lockdowns and vaccinations. Most people are refusing the boosters uptake isn't as high as 1 or 2 . Alongwith omicron threat been overblown which just causes the sniffles people have had enough your more likely to get run over crossing the road than being hospitalised or dying from covid .

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mazkhan View Post
    Kkwc is right they want to get rid of boris so they can continue with this covid scare of lockdowns and vaccinations. Most people are refusing the boosters uptake isn't as high as 1 or 2 . Alongwith omicron threat been overblown which just causes the sniffles people have had enough your more likely to get run over crossing the road than being hospitalised or dying from covid .
    And yet, the hospitals are full of COVID cases and not road accident cases.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A lot of people are being admitted for other things then testing positive for covid whilst they are there & they get stuck in hospital (and included in the “hospitalisation” figures)

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    A lot of people are being admitted for other things then testing positive for covid whilst they are there & they get stuck in hospital (and included in the “hospitalisation” figures)
    Heard a lady on LBC say her husband of fifty years was taken into hospital for an operation, contracted COVID there and died of it.

That’s the trouble with hospitals. Full of sick people.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Surely this is because hospitals have Covid 19 as a priority. There are calls on LBC where cancer patients are told to wait for treatment, people who need emergency operations rescheduled. This Is the reason why hospitals are full of covid cases cos other cases are being told to come back later, or go private.

Ironic with all the vaccine talk and roll out, hospitals are still maxed out with covid patients.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Heard a lady on LBC say her husband of fifty years was taken into hospital for an operation, contracted COVID there and died of it.

That’s the trouble with hospitals. Full of sick people.
    The trouble isn't hospital s full of sick people, after all a hospital is designed to house sick people. The trouble is Covid is contagious and the vaccines do not seem to be working.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manunited18 View Post
    Sunak seems to be the logical choice, but with the conservatives losing trust amongst their supporters, sunak could be a problem to claw back trust specially amongst the large right wing Brexitiers, I reckon Gove will be the next conservative leader.
    Sunak isn't the logical choice for me. Jeremy Hunt on the other hand gets my vote (with Gove as secondary).

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    The trouble isn't hospital s full of sick people, after all a hospital is designed to house sick people. The trouble is Covid is contagious and the vaccines do not seem to be working.
    The idea of hospitals as a vector for communicable disease is not new. Twenty years back, hospital-acquired MRSA was the big fear. I was denied a bed in a hospital after a throat swab. No reason given - I assumed MRSA was in my throat.

Twelve months ago we were losing 2000 people per day to COVID. Now we are losing 200-300 people per day to COVID. Thus suggests that the vaccine rollout has worked. Still a very serious state of affairs, but eventually herd immunity will kick in and this beast will go the way of Spanish Flu.

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me ,sunak or Jeremy hunt with penny mordaunt as a dark horse.

Gove would be an absolute travesty .

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The idea of hospitals as a vector for communicable disease is not new. Twenty years back, hospital-acquired MRSA was the big fear. I was denied a bed in a hospital after a throat swab. No reason given - I assumed MRSA was in my throat.

Twelve months ago we were losing 2000 people per day to COVID. Now we are losing 200-300 people per day to COVID. Thus suggests that the vaccine rollout has worked. Still a very serious state of affairs, but eventually herd immunity will kick in and this beast will go the way of Spanish Flu.
    Well just goes to show NHS has been struggling for decades.

Also 2000 a day deaths due to C19? 60000 deaths in a month amounts to almost 33% of all C19 deaths in the UK since then pandemic started.

Lets face it, the vaccines are not working as expected, but hey, if you had shares in big pharma, then you’d be receiving handsome dividends.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Well just goes to show NHS has been struggling for decades.

Also 2000 a day deaths due to C19? 60000 deaths in a month amounts to almost 33% of all C19 deaths in the UK since then pandemic started.

Lets face it, the vaccines are not working as expected, but hey, if you had shares in big pharma, then you’d be receiving handsome dividends.
    They’d work a lot better if everyone took them.

Anyway.

Word I’m hearing is that the Tories are gearing up for a GE in May 2023.

If they can recover from being 10% down in the polls, which won’t happen while Johnson is is charge.

The Tory members would probably prefer Truss. Who is white. I hope they do choose her, because she is so vacuous that she will lose and the Tories will be out of power for ten years.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    By hook or by crook the Tories are going to be thrown out of government by the voters at the next opportunity whoever they pick imo, they’ve just been in power for too long now and have run out of goodwill, people are sick of them. A lot of voters hate them even more than Labour now, which hasn’t happened for a while.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They’d work a lot better if everyone took them.

Anyway.

Word I’m hearing is that the Tories are gearing up for a GE in May 2023.

If they can recover from being 10% down in the polls, which won’t happen while Johnson is is charge.

The Tory members would probably prefer Truss. Who is white. I hope they do choose her, because she is so vacuous that she will lose and the Tories will be out of power for ten years.
    What do you mean if everyone took them? The majority have. Yet Covid is rampant?

Yesterday you were rooting for Sunak, now you believe Tories want Truss?

I thought you fire-walled from social media? Why the sudden change of opinion?

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    By hook or by crook the Tories are going to be thrown out of government by the voters at the next opportunity whoever they pick imo, they’ve just been in power for too long now and have run out of goodwill, people are sick of them. A lot of voters hate them even more than Labour now, which hasn’t happened for a while.
    They will get a bounce in the polls by electing not-Johnson, but I wonder if it will be enough now. Even if they get back to parity they won’t dare go to the polls until they have to.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    853 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manunited18 View Post
    You maybe right. Gove is a crazy lunatic but tbh they all are clowns/actors who make policies for others and not the people.

The Labour leader would be even worse imo.

Basically this nation is on a slide downwards. Execpt a mess here by 2025 with a economic crash.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sleazeball Tory MP's told us BAME communities weren't taking Covid seriously.

Priti Patel told us to snitch on our neighbours.

They were laughing at us all.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The Labour leader would be even worse imo.

Basically this nation is on a slide downwards. Execpt a mess here by 2025 with a economic crash.
    Surprised by this. I would say that a Labour govt will always be better for the people than Tories.

Brexit is a massive own goal, but is symptomatic of a deeper malaise. It shows a nation profoundly ill at ease with itself and its role in the world.

To fight the malaise we must redefine the nation.

1. PR not FPTP
    2. House of Lords replaced by an elected chamber
    3. Written constitution
    4. Modern bill of rights
    5. Reduce the Royal Family to Norway and Belgium level, purely ceremonial with one residence only. I think King Charles III will start this process anyway.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Downing Street staff have been accused of holding two leaving parties in No 10 on the eve of the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral.

The Telegraph reported the gatherings were made up of about 30 people drinking alcohol and dancing to music until the early hours of 17 April.

Restrictions at the time banned indoor mixing between different households.

No 10 said a leaving speech had been given but would not comment when asked if there had been drinking and dancing.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson was not at either gathering as he was spending the weekend at his country estate, Chequers.

A spokeswoman confirmed Boris Johnson's former director of communications, James Slack, "gave a farewell speech" to thank colleagues ahead of taking up a new role as deputy editor of newspaper The Sun.

Mr Slack has apologised for the "anger and hurt" caused by the leaving event and acknowledged it "should not have happened at the time that it did".

But he said he could not comment further as it had been referred to senior civil servant Sue Gray as part of her investigation into reported parties at Downing Street and Whitehall.

The latest revelation comes as the prime minister faces anger from his own party over attending a drinks gathering in the Downing Street garden during the first lockdown.

Labour's deputy leader, Angela Rayner, said "the buck stops with the PM" over the "culture and behaviours" inside No 10.

Met Police to wait for result of No 10 party probe

According to the Telegraph, Mr Slack's leaving party coincided with another gathering in the No 10 basement for one of the PM's personal photographers.

The reported events were held at a time when the UK was in a period of national mourning, which ran from 9 April to 17 April, following Prince Philip's death.

The Telegraph said staff were sent to a nearby shop with a suitcase, that was brought back "filled with bottles of wine".

During the basement gathering, sources claimed there was a "party atmosphere", with a laptop placed on a photocopier with "music blaring out".

The two parties are then said to have joined together in the No 10 garden and continued past midnight.

At the time, England was under "step two" restrictions that stipulated people could not socialise indoors, except with those from their household or support bubble. People could socialise outdoors in groups of up to six people or two households.

Other restrictions at the time included pubs and restaurants only being allowed to serve customers outside.

A Downing Street spokeswoman said Mr Slack "gave a farewell speech to thank each team for the work they had done to support him, both those who had to be in the office for work and on a screen for those working from home".

But asked about the other party and whether drinking and dancing had taken place, she said No 10 had "nothing further to add".

Ms Rayner said: "The Queen sat alone in mourning like so many did at the time with personal trauma and sacrifice to keep to the rules in the national interest.

"I have no words for the culture and behaviours at No 10 and the buck stops with the PM."

The leader of the Liberal Democrats, Sir Ed Davey, also reiterated calls for the prime minister to resign over the growing list of parties, tweeting: "The Queen sitting alone, mourning the loss of her husband, was the defining image of lockdown.

"Not because she is the Queen, but because she was just another person, mourning alone like too many others.

"Whilst she mourned, No 10 partied."

Fran Hall, from Covid-19 Bereaved Families for Justice, said: "If your neighbours had behaved like this, you'd have been disgusted. For the people running the country to do it and then lie about it shows a complete disdain for the general public."

Quit call made 'with heavy heart'

This latest report adds to the growing list of alleged parties said to have taken place in Downing Street and other government departments during the pandemic.

But Mr Johnson has faced particular criticism after it emerged he had attended one on 20 May 2020 during the first lockdown.

The prime minister apologised on Wednesday in the House of Commons, saying he had joined staff for 25 minutes to thank them for their hard work. But he said he had "believed implicitly that this was a work event".

On Thursday, backbencher Andrew Bridgen became the fifth Conservative MP to publicly say they had submitted a letter of no confidence in Mr Johnson.

He told BBC Newsnight he had submitted the letter with a "heavy heart", believing there was no sign the revelations about parties in Downing Street during lockdown would end soon.

Mr Bridgen, who backed Mr Johnson in the 2019 Conservative leadership contest, said this was "preventing the government from functioning as normal and that's an untenable position".

A minimum of 54 Conservative MPs must send letters to the 1922 committee of backbench MPs in order to trigger a leadership challenge.

Chris Philp, minister for technology and the digital economy, said it was right to wait for the findings of Ms Gray's investigation.

He told Newsnight: "I think the public deserve to have a proper investigation with the full facts."

BBC

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2019
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boris Johnson: Downing Street apologises to the Queen for Number 10 lockdown parties held on eve of Prince Philip's funeral

In fresh claims in the "partygate" crisis, it is alleged that around 30 Downing Street staff drank alcohol into the early hours at two events on 16 April. One attendee is reported to have been sent shopping with a suitcase to fill with bottles of wine.

Number 10 has apologised to the Queen over two parties held in Downing Street on the eve of Prince Philip's funeral.

The prime minister's spokesperson said it was "deeply regrettable that this took place at a time of national mourning".

Asked to respond to the announcement of Downing Street's apology, Buckingham Palace declined to comment.

The events on 16 April 2021 - which according to the original report in The Telegraph included people drinking and dancing to music and one attendee being sent shopping with a suitcase to fill with bottles of wine - occurred the night before the Queen was forced to sit by herself at her husband's funeral at St George's Chapel in Windsor.

Number 10 issue royal apology

"It is deeply regrettable that this took place at a time of national mourning and Number 10 has apologised to the Palace," the PM's spokesperson said.

"You heard from the prime minister this week, he's recognised Number 10 should be held to the highest standards and take responsibility for things we did not get right."

Asked why Number 10 had apologised rather than Mr Johnson himself, the spokesman said: "Well, again, the prime minister said earlier misjudgements have been made and it's right people apologise, as the prime minister did earlier this week.

"It remains the case that I can't prejudge the inquiry, which you know is ongoing, which has been led by Sue Gray, but we acknowledge the significant public anger, it was regrettable this took place at a time of national mourning."

Number 10 said the apology was carried out "through official channels".

Earlier on Friday, the prime minister's former director of communications apologised "unreservedly" for one of the parties which was held to mark his departure from Downing Street.

James Slack said he wanted to "apologise unreservedly for the anger and hurt caused" by the gathering, which is said to have involved 30 Downing Street staff partying into the early hours at Number 10 at a time when indoor mixing was banned.

"This event should not have happened at the time that it did. I am deeply sorry, and take full responsibility," Mr Slack, who last year left Downing Street to become deputy editor-in-chief at The Sun newspaper, said.

PM 'not in Downing Street' on 16 April 2021

Last night Number 10 failed to deny the allegation that advisers and civil servants gathered after work for two separate events on 16 April to mark the departures of Mr Slack and one of the prime minister's personal photographers.

A Number 10 spokesperson told reporters Mr Johnson was not in Downing Street that day. He is said to have been at Chequers in Buckinghamshire - the prime minister's country retreat.

What parties are alleged to have taken place in Downing Street and across Whitehall?

Speaking to Sky News this morning, a minister admitted to being "shocked to read" the reports.

Security minister Damian Hinds said he did not know many details of the alleged events as the story has only just broken, but added: "If the details that are in this story turn out to be true, clearly people are going to form their judgement."

Mr Hinds said "action can be taken" against any individuals found to have committed wrongdoing by senior civil servant Sue Gray, who is carrying out an investigation into parties held in Downing Street and elsewhere across Whitehall will it is believed will include the 16 April events.

But the security minister told Sky News he has confidence in Mr Johnson as Conservative Party leader: "I am entirely behind the prime minister and the government, and I think the leadership that the prime minister has shown, particularly through the coronavirus, has been very strong."

Foreign Secretary Liz Truss later told reporters she supports the prime minister "100%".

Attendee 'sent shopping with suitcase to buy wine'

The two 16 April events were held in two different parts of the Downing Street complex but later joined together in the garden, with around 30 people attending both gatherings combined, it is claimed.

The Telegraph reported that one staff member was said to have acted as a DJ at one of the events, while another who was present is reported to have expressed fears that too much wine was being spilled on a carpet.

One eyewitness noted that a staff member used and broke a child's swing in the garden belonging to Mr Johnson's son, Wilfred.

Who has resigned for breaking COVID rules?

At the time of the newly-alleged parties, the country was in a period of national mourning, and England was still under strict COVID rules that banned socialising with other households indoors unless you had formed a support bubble.

People in England were also prevented from meeting outdoors in groups larger than six, or from more than two households.

Those coronavirus restrictions also limited Prince Philip's funeral to just 30 attendees, as with other services, while only 15 were allowed to gather for wakes.

PM facing growing calls to resign

The fresh claims will further fuel the "partygate" crisis threatening the prime minister's political future as he faces growing calls to resign.

Sir Keir Starmer said the apology "shows just how seriously Boris Johnson has degraded the office of prime minister".

The Labour leader added: "The Conservatives have let Britain down. An apology isn't the only thing the prime minister should be offering the palace today. Boris Johnson should do the decent thing and resign."

Sir Ed Davey, the leader of the Liberal Democrats, called on Mr Johnson to "apologise personally to the Queen", adding: "He should also use that opportunity to officially hand in his resignation."

How has the PM responded to Number 10 party claims?

These comments were echoed by shadow Attorney General Emily Thornberry, who told Sky News: "What we are waiting for is for the prime minister to look into his heart and soul and decide whether or not he has a scrap of human decency in him, because if he does, he will resign.

Labour's deputy leader Angela Rayner wrote on Twitter: "I have no words for the culture & behaviours at number 10 and the buck stops with the PM."

Meanwhile Fran Hall, from COVID-19 Bereaved Families for Justice, said: "The Conservative MPs that are keeping him in power disgrace their country."

Another MP submits letter of no confidence in Mr Johnson

The latest Downing Street parties allegations came as Mr Bridgen became the fifth Conservative MP to publicly announce he had submitted a letter of no confidence in the prime minister on Thursday night, alongside Caroline Nokes, Douglas Ross, Sir Roger Gale and William Wragg.

If a total of 54 Conservative MPs submit letters to head of the 1922 Committee of Conservative backbench MPs Sir Graham Brady, Mr Johnson will be forced to face a confidence vote over his leadership.

What would it take for the PM to be ousted by his own party?

Speaking to Sky News on Friday morning, Sir Roger said the events which reportedly took place on 16 April were "wholly unacceptable and completely insensitive and should never have happened" - but added that he does not hold the PM responsible as he "was not there".

Sir Roger said the allegations "reveal a culture within Downing Street that obviously stems from the top and should not be permitted", adding: "I don't think that the image of the Downing Street branch of the Majestic Wine warehouse is doing us any good at all."

Multiple allegations of COVID rule-breaking in both Downing Street and other government buildings are currently subject to an investigation by Sue Gray, a senior civil servant.

However, she is not expected to report on her findings until next week at the earliest.

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-joh...neral-12515732

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On one hand we have a tennis player about to be deported from a country because he was unvaccinated and allegedly lied on his immigration papers, whereas here we have a PM of a country that brought in a lockdown and then broke his own Government's rules by having a get together in his office's gardens which also involved people bringing their own booze...

What's worse?

I think they both are and I just don't see how BJ can wriggle out of this one.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMMY69 View Post
    On one hand we have a tennis player about to be deported from a country because he was unvaccinated and allegedly lied on his immigration papers, whereas here we have a PM of a country that brought in a lockdown and then broke his own Government's rules by having a get together in his office's gardens which also involved people bringing their own booze...

What's worse?

I think they both are and I just don't see how BJ can wriggle out of this one.
    It’s the same self-entitlement, the same belief they are above the law.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It’s the same self-entitlement, the same belief they are above the law.
    The world has changed.

It seems breaking the laws by some is tolerated.
    I know its a different topic, but these days you can scream at wicket mic and accuse people of cheating without any repercussions if you a politician or a sportsman. Like you say, its the same self-entitlement.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There was more pressure on Blair to resign after the Iraq war fiasco. The situation Boris is in, is a summer picnic compared to Blair!

How many people of the public followed the government advise during lockdown anyway?

So stop being hypocrites.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

How many people of the public followed the government advise during lockdown anyway?
    Me.

My wife, who could not bury her father for months after he died, and then not with a full congregation.

My friend, whose mother died alone and frightened.

Debut
    Aug 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Writings on the wall for Boris, every day new shenanigans are coming out. Can't see how he continues. I feel the longer he stays on the more damage he does to the conservatives. And with sunak seemingly distancing himself from the circus, you feel the candidates who could replace him are positioning themselves to make their move.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There was more pressure on Blair to resign after the Iraq war fiasco. The situation Boris is in, is a summer picnic compared to Blair!

So stop being hypocrites.
    How's your constitution?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    One of the heads of the government's COVID-19 taskforce held an office leaving bash at a time when indoor socialising was banned, it has been revealed.

Kate Josephs, a former director general of the Cabinet Office's COVID taskforce - which drafts coronavirus restrictions and other pandemic policies - said she was "truly sorry" for the gathering on 17 December 2020.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Number 10 has apologised to the Queen over two parties held in Downing Street on the eve of Prince Philip's funeral.

The prime minister's spokesperson said it was "deeply regrettable that this took place at a time of national mourning".

Asked to respond to the announcement of Downing Street's apology, Buckingham Palace declined to comment.

The events on 16 April 2021 - which according to the original report in The Telegraph included people drinking and dancing to music and one attendee being sent shopping with a suitcase to fill with bottles of wine - occurred the night before the Queen was forced to sit by herself at her husband's funeral at St George's Chapel in Windsor.

"It is deeply regrettable that this took place at a time of national mourning and Number 10 has apologised to the Palace," the PM's spokesperson said.

"You heard from the prime minister this week, he's recognised Number 10 should be held to the highest standards and take responsibility for things we did not get right."

Asked why Number 10 had apologised rather than Mr Johnson himself, the spokesman said: "Well, again, the prime minister said earlier misjudgements have been made and it's right people apologise, as the prime minister did earlier this week.

"It remains the case that I can't prejudge the inquiry, which you know is ongoing, which has been led by Sue Gray, but we acknowledge the significant public anger, it was regrettable this took place at a time of national mourning."

Follow latest updates as new party allegations emerge

Number 10 said the apology was carried out "through official channels".

Earlier on Friday, the prime minister's former director of communications James Slack apologised "unreservedly" for one of the parties which was held to mark his departure from Downing Street and is said to have involved 30 Downing Street staff partying into the early hours at Number 10 at a time when indoor mixing was banned.

"This event should not have happened at the time that it did. I am deeply sorry, and take full responsibility," Mr Slack, who last year left Downing Street to become deputy editor-in-chief at The Sun newspaper, said.

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-joh...neral-12515732

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Sir Keir Starmer is turning up the heat on Boris Johnson on Downing Street drinking after new allegations of "wine time Fridays" in Number 10.

In a major speech, the Labour leader will claim the partying allegations of the past few days reveal that the prime minister is guilty of "deceit and deception" and unable to lead.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Liberal Democrats have tabled a motion of no confidence in the Prime Minister.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Liberal Democrats have tabled a motion of no confidence in the Prime Minister.
    Interesting manoeuvre from the Lib Dems. I think it needs Starmer to back it so it puts him in an uncomfortable position but more importantly, it would require Tory MP's who are fearful of their own positions in the next election into a very difficult position.

Given Boris' stubbornness when he survives he will claim it as a victory.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyVenom View Post
    Interesting manoeuvre from the Lib Dems. I think it needs Starmer to back it so it puts him in an uncomfortable position but more importantly, it would require Tory MP's who are fearful of their own positions in the next election into a very difficult position.

Given Boris' stubbornness when he survives he will claim it as a victory.
    With the latest economic figures (UK GDP back at pre pandemic levels), the consensus is that having a wine and cheese party is less important than the economy improving.

I think Boris will survive, as long as the economy does.

LDs have always failed; and are just token representatives looking for recognition by any means necessary.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60014813

Starmer accuses PM of breaking law over No 10 parties

Sir Keir Starmer has accused Boris Johnson of breaking Covid laws with parties held in Downing Street during lockdown.

The Labour leader said the prime minister had "lied" about "industrial scale partying" in No 10.

Six Tory MPs have now called on the PM to resign over gatherings held during restrictions.

But Tory party chairman Oliver Dowden said the PM would take action over the "underlying culture" in Downing Street.

Mr Dowden told the BBC the PM was "committed" to doing this when he responds to an official inquiry on events in government buildings.

The internal investigation, led by senior civil servant Sue Gray, is expected to be published as soon as the coming week.

The Metropolitan Police said it had "ongoing contact with the Cabinet Office" over Ms Gray's inquiry.

However, Sir Keir told the BBC's Sunday Morning programme he did not need to wait for the report to conclude that Mr Johnson broke the rules.

"The facts speak for themselves, and the country has made up its mind," he said, adding it was "blindingly obvious what's happened".

"I think he broke the law, I think he's as good as admitted that he broke the law," he added.

Speaking on the same programme, Mr Dowden said he shared the public's anger, but it was right to wait for Ms Gray to "establish the full facts".

"The task for us now is how we address the underlying culture in Downing Street," he said.

"We need to up our game, and that needs to be addressed, and I know the prime minister is committed to addressing that."

Mr Dowden also appeared on Sky's Trevor Phillips On Sunday where the presenter held back tears recalling his daughter's death during the pandemic.

Phillips said his daughter, who he said was very ill and had isolated for months, collapsed and later died on a weekend in April 2021 when it has emerged parties took place in Downing Street on the eve of Prince Phillip's funeral.

"She had stuck to the spirit and letter of the rules, and there are going to be thousands of people who have that story in their background," he said.

"And, if I may say so, you are in here telling me about a civil servant's inquiry, that will not answer that anger.

"Does the prime minister really understand why people are angry?”

Meanwhile, former minister Tim Loughton has become the sixth Tory MP to call on Mr Johnson to resign, calling his position "untenable".

In a Facebook post, he added the public deserved "clarity, honesty and contrition" instead of "obfuscation, prevarication and evasion".

Pressure on Mr Johnson has been growing since he admitted he attended a gathering in the Downing Street garden on 20 May 2020, during the first Covid lockdown.

As many as 100 people were invited to "socially distanced drinks in the No 10 garden" in an email on behalf of the prime minister's principal private secretary, Martin Reynolds.

On Wednesday, Mr Johnson told MPs he had "believed implicitly" it was a work event, but admitted: "With hindsight, I should have sent everyone back inside".

But Labour has accused Mr Johnson of "holding the British public in contempt", after the Sunday Times reported he had been warned to cancel the event after the email went out.

In response to the report, a No 10 spokesperson said: "It is untrue that the prime minister was warned about the event in advance."

On Friday, Downing Street apologised to the Queen after it emerged two staff parties were held at No 10 on the night before Prince Philip's funeral in April 2021.

Mr Johnson was not at either event but his spokesman said it was "deeply regrettable that this took place at a time of national mourning".

The parties have been added to a growing list of events in government buildings currently being investigated by Ms Gray.

Speaking on Times Radio on Sunday, former Labour PM Tony Blair said he understood why people would feel "enraged" at the party revelations.

"I can also, from the perspective of Downing Street, understand how these things happen," he said. But he added: "You can explain it, but not really excuse it."

During his BBC interview, Sir Keir also said a picture of him drinking beer in an office last spring did not show a breach of Covid rules in place at the time.

The Labour leader said the picture, which first emerged last year, showed him in a constituency office in the run-up to the Hartlepool by-election.

"We were very busy. We were working in the office," he told presenter Sophie Raworth when challenged about the image.

"We stopped for something to eat and then we carried on working. No party, no breach of the rules and absolutely no comparison with the prime minister."

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    The education secretary has defended the prime minister as he said Boris Johnson did not know a Downing Street lockdown event was a party.

Nadhim Zahawi told Sky News' Kay Burley: "It's not true that the prime minister knew about this. He implicitly thought this was a work event."

He said senior civil servant Sue Gray must be allowed to carry out her investigation into the May 2020 party, and several others in Westminster.

The education secretary confirmed Mr Johnson has been questioned by Ms Gray, saying he had "submitted himself to that investigation", which is expected to finish next week.

He added that the PM wishes he could "turn back the clock" and, having lost an uncle to COVID, Mr Zahawi said he shares the public's anger.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    'Naughty' Boris Johnson prompts child's ire

Boris Johnson's acts have incensed many across the country including, it would seem, at least one five-year-old girl.

"He told everybody to stay at home, yeah," video posted on social media shows her saying.

"But, in lockdown the prime minister, Boris Johnson, he just went down to a party.

"So he had to go to the naughty centre and tell everybody that he is sorry for going to a party in lockdown."

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyVenom View Post
    Interesting manoeuvre from the Lib Dems.
    I don't know what Sir Ed's tactic will achieve, given the Tory 79 seat majority plus likely DUP support. Some Tory rebels might want to break ranks but the rest would see which lobby they head into so I see no purpose to this.

It would suit the LDs to have this narrative roll on and on into the May council election main round, when they can expect to clean up.

Johnson is holed below the waterline, Labour are ten points clear in the polls, so there will be a Tory leadership challenge soon enough.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The people only care about money, and the money in their pocket; not some mumbo jumbo wine and cheese party or virus.

Boris has done well; UK economy is ahead of the failed EU economy. It's at pre pandemic level while EU fight s bankruptcy and devaluation.

Until Boris flops on the economy, he will be PM.

Mark my words.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    853 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    'Naughty' Boris Johnson prompts child's ire

Boris Johnson's acts have incensed many across the country including, it would seem, at least one five-year-old girl.

"He told everybody to stay at home, yeah," video posted on social media shows her saying.

"But, in lockdown the prime minister, Boris Johnson, he just went down to a party.

"So he had to go to the naughty centre and tell everybody that he is sorry for going to a party in lockdown."
    This little girl would make a better leader than Boris!

I think Boris might get away with it.

Keir Starmer also broke the rules! All these puppets/actors pretending to be politicians are being exposed.

UK has gone downhill so fast.

Maybe we should end the governments and bring in a new system, democracy is a mere deceptive fantasy here.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Boris Johnson's former chief adviser has said the prime minister knew in advance about a Downing Street drinks party during the first coronavirus lockdown and agreed that it could go ahead.

In an updated post on his Substack page, Dominic Cummings said he raised his concerns about the event in the Number 10 garden in May 2020 directly with the PM and would "swear under oath this is what happened".

"PM was told about the invite, he knew it was a drinks party, he lied to parliament," he wrote on Twitter, posting a link to the latest entry.

Mr Johnson's principal private secretary Martin Reynolds emailed officials with an invite to the event on 20 May, suggesting attendees "BYOB" (bring your own bottle, or booze).

A second Downing Street source has told Sky News they believe the PM was warned about the gathering before it took place.

They have told Sky's political editor Beth Rigby that, per Mr Cummings' blog post, Mr Reynolds was warned about the event after sending out the email invitation, and believes Mr Johnson was informed.

But Downing Street said earlier on Monday it was not true that Mr Johnson was warned about the gathering in advance and repeated the PM's assertion to MPs last week that he "implicitly" believed it was a work event.

Government accused of attacking BBC to distract from 'partygate' ahead of expected licence fee freeze

Sir Keir Starmer says he did nothing wrong after photo emerges of him drinking beer with staff during lockdown

Number 10 has repeated this denial in the wake of Mr Cummings' latest post.

Mr Cummings left Number 10 in November 2020 and has since been a persistent critic of Mr Johnson.

"MPs should focus on the basics," he wrote on his Substack.

"The PM's PPS [principal private secretary] invited people to a drinks party. The PPS was told to cancel the invite by at least two people.

"He checked with the PM whether the party should go ahead. The PM agreed it should.

"They both went to the party. It was actually a drinks party.

"The PM told MPs repeatedly that he had no idea about any parties.

"The events of 20 May alone, never mind the string of other events, mean the PM lied to parliament about parties.

"Not only me but other eyewitnesses who discussed this at the time would swear under oath this is what happened."

SKY

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

UK has gone downhill so fast.

Maybe we should end the governments and bring in a new system, democracy is a mere deceptive fantasy here.
    A strongman like Putin you mean? That’s the way we are headed. Brexit was an opportunity for a power-grab by hard-right oligarchic authoritarianism, and it was taken.

Trouble with your strongman government is that liberal institutions will be eroded or rapidly ended, so you’ll lose freedom of the press, trial by jury, habeus corpus, the right to be different, to marry whom you like, to criticise the state without vanishing forever.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    853 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A strongman like Putin you mean? That’s the way we are headed. Brexit was an opportunity for a power-grab by hard-right oligarchic authoritarianism, and it was taken.

Trouble with your strongman government is that liberal institutions will be eroded or rapidly ended, so you’ll lose freedom of the press, trial by jury, habeus corpus, the right to be different, to marry whom you like, to criticise the state without vanishing forever.
    This is just your poor assumption. At least with Putin you get what you see. Here most are fooled into thinking these leaders have authority and even worse their foriegn policy is just , we are the good guys etc lol.

My personal view would be only indepenent canditates should stand, get rid of these old rubbish party system.

The elected person should be President, get rid of the colonial degenerate Royals too.

He/She can can think pick a team.

Big decisions such as vaccine mandates, lockdown rules, wars, new laws alll be a referendum. All information to come from news agencies which are not funded by big pharma or donors. Get rid of donors, the taxpayer can pay for their elections.

Time to wake up Robert, you have been decieved since you were a child reg democracy, freedom etc.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    This is just your poor assumption. At least with Putin you get what you see. Here most are fooled into thinking these leaders have authority and even worse their foriegn policy is just , we are the good guys etc lol.

My personal view would be only indepenent canditates should stand, get rid of these old rubbish party system.

The elected person should be President, get rid of the colonial degenerate Royals too.

He/She can can think pick a team.

Big decisions such as vaccine mandates, lockdown rules, wars, new laws alll be a referendum. All information to come from news agencies which are not funded by big pharma or donors. Get rid of donors, the taxpayer can pay for their elections.
    The trouble is that the average voter is not very bright or educated and unable to make decisions on complex issues. That’s why we have elected representatives who are supposedly bright and educated enough to make better decisions.

Unfortunately in the UK we have first past the post voting, so a turnip could wear a rosette and get elected in many constituencies,

Time to wake up Robert, you have been decieved since you were a child reg democracy, freedom etc.

Good job I have you then. Wish I was as clever as you to figure these things out @KingKhanWC. You’re so much more intelligent than me.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    853 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The trouble is that the average voter is not very bright or educated and unable to make decisions on complex issues. That’s why we have elected representatives who are supposedly bright and educated enough to make better decisions.

Unfortunately in the UK we have first past the post voting, so a turnip could wear a rosette and get elected in many constituencies,
    Many Turnips have.

I think the younger people are getting wiser. No more BBC propaganda, no more fake history in schools, no more hiding crimes or agendas as information has more freedom now.

Good job I have you then. Wish I was as clever as you to figure these things out @KingKhanWC. You’re so much more intelligent than me.
    Aww Rober thats very kind , im glad i can help. Keep reading, we have much more to learn yet.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How insulting and offensive to label the average voter not very bright and uneducated. Money and food are not complex issues, these are simple issues. Politicians prey on said dumb voters when they want power, create complex issues themselves, and then blame the voters when results do not go their way.

If voters are dumb and uneducated then why offer them the vote under the guise of democracy? FPTP or PR would make no difference if voters are considered uneducated anyway.

That's right democracy is a sham in the West. Might as well opt for a dictatorship! One leader, and no dumb voters or crooked politicians!

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Many Turnips have.

I think the younger people are getting wiser. No more BBC propaganda, no more fake history in schools, no more hiding crimes or agendas as information has more freedom now.
    Spot on. The establishment doesn't like being questioned or exposed. They don't want to promote freedom of thought but rather control the population with their lies and deciet.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Boris Johnson's former chief adviser has said the prime minister knew in advance about a Downing Street drinks party during the first coronavirus lockdown and agreed that it could go ahead, claims that have been confirmed to Sky News by a second source.

In an updated post on his Substack page, Dominic Cummings said he raised his concerns about the event in the Number 10 garden in May 2020 directly with the PM and would "swear under oath this is what happened".

"PM was told about the invite, he knew it was a drinks party, he lied to parliament," he wrote on Twitter, posting a link to the latest entry

Mr Johnson's principal private secretary Martin Reynolds emailed officials with an invite to the event on 20 May, suggesting attendees "BYOB" (bring your own bottle, or booze).

The emergence of this email has provoked anger and led to calls, including from some Conservative MPs, for the PM to resign.

If it is established that Mr Johnson knew in advance about the party and lied to parliament in saying he believed it was a "work event", he would be in much greater danger of being forced out of office.

The 20 May event is the latest in a string of reported gatherings in Downing Street and other government departments during COVID restrictions in 2020 and 2021 that is being investigated.
    '
    Among the latest to make headlines were two parties held in Downing Street on the eve of Prince Phillip's funeral last year.

A second Downing Street source has told Sky's political editor Beth Rigby that the PM was warned about the 20 May gathering before it took place.

But Downing Street said earlier on Monday it was not true that Mr Johnson was warned about it in advance and repeated the PM's assertion to MPs last week that he "implicitly" believed it was a work event.

Number 10 has repeated this denial in the wake of Mr Cummings' latest post.

Mr Cummings left Number 10 in November 2020 and has since been a persistent critic of Mr Johnson.

SKY

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Many Turnips have.

Aww Rober thats very kind , im glad i can help. Keep reading, we have much more to learn yet.
    If we get PR then the turnips won’t get elected as much.

I don’t believe much conspiracy theory. They usually fail because someone will always talk and the conspirators cannot kill everyone who will.

I believe in cocq-up theory.

Bad things don’t usually happen because shadowy bad people are in control.

Bad things usually happen because good people aren’t in enough control. Because procedures are weak. Messages don’t get carried. Somebody doesn’t pick up the phone five minutes before their shift ends. An email is selected by accident. A crucial piece of paper gets filed in the wrong place and mislaid. So bad decisions are made through lack of information and people get hurt.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Spot on. The establishment doesn't like being questioned or exposed. They don't want to promote freedom of thought but rather control the population with their lies and deciet.
    Hence the attack on the BBC which still asks such questions and won’t always toe the government line.

Better to have the news in the hands of billionaires who donate to the Tories and say what they need to get re-elected.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hence the attack on the BBC which still asks such questions and won’t always toe the government line.

Better to have the news in the hands of billionaires who donate to the Tories and say what they need to get re-elected.
    Won't always tow the government line is not the same as never tow the government line. And no, it's not always Tories, Labour are pretty good at the donations game too. Just ask Blair.

BBC is far from being impartial.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Boris Johnson has said "nobody told me" the Number 10 garden party during lockdown was "against the rules".

The prime minister said he "humbly apologises" to people for misjudgements that were made but he would not have gone ahead with the event if he thought it broke the rules.

He said: "I'm saying categorically that nobody told me, nobody said this was something that was against the rules, doing something that wasn't a work event because frankly, I can't imagine why it would have gone ahead or it would have been allowed to go ahead if it was against the rules.

"My memory is going out into the garden for about 25 minutes, which I implicitly thought was a work event, and talking to staff, thanking staff.

"I then went back to my office and continued my work."

"I carry full responsibility for what took place, but nobody said to me that this was an event that is against the rules."

Boris Johnson recalls what he remembers about an alleged party in the Downing Street garden during lockdown.

He added that it is exactly what he has told the inquiry by top civil servant Sue Gray.

Mr Johnson admitted on reflection he "should have looked around and told people to go back indoors" after realising it was not a work event.

Asked about the two parties alleged to have taken place on the eve of Prince Philip's funeral, Mr Johnson looked down and appeared distressed.

"I deeply and bitterly regret that happened, I can only renew my apology to her majesty and to apologise for misjudgments made and for which I take full responsibility," he said.

The PM also said he only saw the email invite for the event from his right-hand man Martin Reynolds the other day, when it was revealed to the media.

SKY

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Dominic Cummings has confirmed to Sky News he will be giving evidence to Sue Gray as part of her investigation into Downing Street parties, after he said he would swear under oath that the Prime Minister lied to Parliament about 20 May 2020