[VIDEOS] Have the PCB decided to move on from Asad Shafiq for good?


Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 61 of 61
  1. #1
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    41,312
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    [VIDEOS] Have the PCB decided to move on from Asad Shafiq for good?

    I find it a bit hypocritical for Azhar Ali to be persisted with whereas Asad Shafiq was dropped for good. At the time Asad Shafiq got dropped in August 2020, since 2017 he had a better average than Asad Shafiq.

  2. #2
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    17,249
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    I find it a bit hypocritical for Azhar Ali to be persisted with whereas Asad Shafiq was dropped for good. At the time Asad Shafiq got dropped in August 2020, since 2017 he had a better average than Asad Shafiq.
    To be honest both shouldve gone at same time

    But the fact is azhar had a better peak than shafiq and had a higher avge than him (avged around 47 once upton
    a time) hence the longer rope Being ex captain also helps
    Last edited by Zaz; 18th January 2022 at 22:09.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London UK
    Runs
    1,251
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azhar Ali and Faheem need to go.Azhar is coming to the end of his career.Need a youngster to open or bat at number 3.Faheem is a mediocre player.Need a good allrounder.PCB should do a talent hunt throughout Pakistan.The best player should be coached at HPC and then inducted into first class teams.The other option is to find the best allrounders in club cricket and develop them.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    8,040
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    azhars time should be up, but in no way are the two comparable, asad got a free ride for nearly 3 years, and failed to bat higher up the order.

    azhar averaged nearly 50 opening, and 40 odd over his last 15 tests, asad was a perenial number 6 and averaged 30 over his last 15 tests.

    however both represent the nadir of talent development in pakistan, and were failures when it came to taking over from misbah and younis.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    772
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    I find it a bit hypocritical for Azhar Ali to be persisted with whereas Asad Shafiq was dropped for good. At the time Asad Shafiq got dropped in August 2020, since 2017 he had a better average than Asad Shafiq.
    "Have the PCB decided to move on from Asad Shafiq for good?"
    --> Inshallah

    Honestly, both should have been dropped. It took numerous failures until finally one of them was dropped. No way Misbah would have dropped both his friends at the same time It also helps that Azhar used to be a top test bat for us and played bigger innings than Shafiq ever did, as well as him being a previous captain as @Zaz pointed out.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    101,802
    Mentioned
    879 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Shafiq main issue is his inconsistency

    128 innings and an average of 38 is not that good. Also 13 ducks!

    Very disappointing!

  7. #7
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Calgary, Canada
    Runs
    2,151
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crazy to think at one point people rated Asad Shafique pretty highly and was even un droppable in many Playing XI, how times have changed.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    7,120
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After being dropped has really slipped under the Radar. Even domestic performance of late haven’t been noteable.


    'If you cant support us when we lose or draw then dont support us when we win"
    Bill Shankly

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    8,281
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    A broken Azhar Ali has still played a few vital knocks in the last few years.

    Asad Shafiq has an inflated average due to scoring 50s and 100s in lost causes.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    2,922
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would've wanted to see Asad Shafiq in the up coming PSL.
    I hope someone looks into the idea and incorporates him. He was not as bad as he had been made to think of.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    21,349
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Both should be gone, but Azhar was better and actually won some games for Pakistan.


    I understand, if not agree with him being picked. Ideally though it should be as an opener


    "Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

  12. #12
    Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    2,325
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justcrazy View Post
    Shafiq main issue is his inconsistency

    128 innings and an average of 38 is not that good. Also 13 ducks!

    Very disappointing!
    Also the fact that he played at no 6 easier position to bat makes it worse compare that to Umar Akmal who averages almost the same in tests outside Asia at a much better strike rate.

    Azhar has been struggling for some time now not sure how many matches heís won but weíve lost all tests in SENA recently with little contribution from Azhar other than slow ducks and slow 10s and 20s.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    4,416
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poor guy only got to play 77 tests. Discarded in his youth without getting enough chances.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Mar 2003
    Runs
    12,343
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shafiq is out because Fawad is a vastly superior option at 5. Azhar should make space to test out someone like saud

  15. #15
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    18,813
    Mentioned
    537 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the arrival of Fawad Alam, there is no room for Asad Shafiq. We probably have seen the last of Shafiq.


    Bangladeshi Man

  16. #16
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    101,802
    Mentioned
    879 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    With the arrival of Fawad Alam, there is no room for Asad Shafiq. We probably have seen the last of Shafiq.
    Saud , Usman Sallahuddin etc also should get in now , so Asad should blame himself , after playing so many Tests , he should have been averaging in the late 40s at least , with 18 hundreds.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No place for him in current team

  18. #18
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    38,025
    Mentioned
    1298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    I suppose Azhar's excuse is unlike Shafiq he bats in the top 3 in a bowler friendly era of Test cricket.

    Azhar should've been farewelled in Pakistan after the 2019 Sri Lanka series.

    The selectors by prolonging Azhar's career have needlessly blocked progression of Saud Shakeel, Usman Salahuddin and Kamran Ghulam for the last 2-3 years.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    108,355
    Mentioned
    678 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Asad became complacent and his failures were tolerated by selectors, thus he never improved. Now his test career is over.

    Azhar should have been given boot after SL or NZ series losses in UAE.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    175,021
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Happy birthday to Asad Shafiq:

    Born: January 28, 1986 (age 36 years), Karachi, Pakistan


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  21. #21
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    175,021
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  22. #22
    Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    5,104
    Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lahore, 10 March 2022: Centuries from Haseebullah and Asad Shafiq led Balochistan to a 105-run win over Southern Punjab in the fifth round match of the Pakistan Cup at the Iqbal Stadium in Faisalabad. In other matches, Sindh and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa won their matches against Central Punjab and Northern, respectively.

    After being put into bat, Balochistan scored 320 for four in 50 overs. Opening batter Haseebullah top-scored with a 134-ball 142, hitting 20 fours and one six. The left-handed batter added 182 runs for the third wicket with Asad Shafiq, who returned undefeated on 101. The right-handed Asad innings included 15 fours and one six that came off 78 balls

  23. #23
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    7,120
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May be he can make a comeback when some of the regulars get injured but for that he has to continue to score a lot of runs. Feels like most of the current players are far ahead of him.


    'If you cant support us when we lose or draw then dont support us when we win"
    Bill Shankly

  24. #24
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    6,412
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's kinda amazing how similar Asad Shafiq and Ajinkya Rahane's numbers are.

    Both average 38. Rahane has played 5 more tests than Shafiq. Both have the same number of hundreds, But Shafiq has two more fifties. Even their strike-rates are very similar.

    And if Pakistan and India are lucky, both will never play another test match for their respective countries again.
    Last edited by RedwoodOriginal; 13th March 2022 at 11:18.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    3,471
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    It's kinda amazing how similar Asad Shafiq and Ajinkya Rahane's numbers are.

    Both average 38. Rahane has played 5 more tests than Shafiq. Both have the same number of hundreds, But Shafiq has two more fifties. Even their strike-rates are very similar.

    And if Pakistan and India are lucky, both will never play another test match for their respective countries again.
    You canít be attacking Asad Shafiq and yet defending Azhar Ali at the same time.

    Because Azhar Ali performed poorly in 2018 and 2019, we only look at his last 2 years from 2020, so letís looks at Asad Shafiqís last 2 years.

    2019 - Averaged 42 and was the 3rd highest run scorer for Pakistan (mostly useless runs that had no impact on the game, a bit like Azhar)

    2020 - Averaged 22, very poor, but he was one innings away from boosting his average from 22 to mid 40ís (like how Azhar did after scoring 141* in England)

    The difference between career averages is a mere 700 runs. Give Asad Shafiq another 20 tests and we may see a couple of more 140 not outs to boost his average to low 40ís, and then we can all start calling him a legend too. 😂


    Bring Back Umar Akmal

  26. #26
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    6,412
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YousafTheBeast View Post
    You canít be attacking Asad Shafiq and yet defending Azhar Ali at the same time.

    Because Azhar Ali performed poorly in 2018 and 2019, we only look at his last 2 years from 2020, so letís looks at Asad Shafiqís last 2 years.

    2019 - Averaged 42 and was the 3rd highest run scorer for Pakistan (mostly useless runs that had no impact on the game, a bit like Azhar)

    2020 - Averaged 22, very poor, but he was one innings away from boosting his average from 22 to mid 40ís (like how Azhar did after scoring 141* in England)

    The difference between career averages is a mere 700 runs. Give Asad Shafiq another 20 tests and we may see a couple of more 140 not outs to boost his average to low 40ís, and then we can all start calling him a legend too. ��
    You're completely out of your mind if you are comparing Azhar Ali to Asad Shafiq. Maybe there was a time when both were at a similar level. But ever since MisYou left Asad has only regressed and rightly been discarded. Azhar despite a couple of bad years has rebounded and been Pakistan's most prolific test batter in the last two years.

    Even at his best Asad never crossed 137 which is just sad for someone who has played over 70 tests. Also can't recall him ever playing a consequential knock like Azhar's 302 or 141. Infact the greatest and only innings he will ever be known for is one that came in a losing cause, which is probably the case for most of the centuries he has scored throughout his career.
    Last edited by RedwoodOriginal; 13th March 2022 at 14:35.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    3,471
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    You're completely out of your mind if you are comparing Azhar Ali to Asad Shafiq. Maybe there was a time when both were at a similar level. But ever since MisYou left Asad has only regressed and rightly been discarded. Azhar despite a couple of bad years has rebounded and been Pakistan's most prolific test batter in the last two years.

    Even at his best Asad never crossed 137 which is just sad for someone who has played over 70 tests. Also can't recall him ever playing a consequential knock like Azhar's 302 or 141. Infact the greatest and only innings he will ever be known for is one that came in a losing cause, which is probably the case for most of the centuries he has scored throughout his career.
    So Azhar Ali is allowed a couple of bad years but Asad Shafiq isnít?

  28. #28
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    6,412
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YousafTheBeast View Post
    So Azhar Ali is allowed a couple of bad years but Asad Shafiq isn’t?
    No. Because unlike Asad Shafiq, Azhar Ali has actually won Pakistan some matches. Even at his worst his average never dropped below 41. Whereas, for Asad, maintaining an average of 40 was a battle, and ultimately a losing one for him.

    There is a reason why Asad is no longer in the team and Azhar is, and doesn't take a genius to figure out why. In fact its actually downright ironic that Misbah: the guy who was one of the biggest reasons why Shafiq played so many tests ended up being the one to discard him before the tour of New Zealand. And no one has bothered to bring him back since which shows exactly how indispensable he was to begin with.
    Last edited by RedwoodOriginal; 13th March 2022 at 15:00.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    3,471
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    No. Because unlike Asad Shafiq, Azhar Ali has actually won Pakistan some matches. Even at his worst his average never dropped below 41. Whereas, for Asad, maintaining an average of 40 was a battle, and ultimately a losing one for him.

    There is a reason why Asad is no longer in the team and Azhar is, and doesn't take a genius to figure out why. In fact its actually downright ironic that Misbah: the guy who was one of the biggest reasons why Shafiq played so many tests ended up being the one to discard him before the tour of New Zealand. And no one has bothered to bring him back since which shows exactly how indispensable he was to begin with.
    Heís only won 4 MOTM awards (one vs Bangladesh) compared to Asad Shafiqís 2 (one in a loss)

    If Asad Shafiq was averaging 43 would you call him a legend?


    Bring Back Umar Akmal

  30. #30
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    6,412
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YousafTheBeast View Post
    He’s only won 4 MOTM awards (one vs Bangladesh) compared to Asad Shafiq’s 2 (one in a loss)

    If Asad Shafiq was averaging 43 would you call him a legend?
    Thanks for proving my point.

    Thing is, I don't deal in hypotheticals like you and so many other fans. I prefer to live in reality, not fantasy.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    3,471
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    Thanks for proving my point.

    Thing is, I don't deal in hypotheticals like you and so many other fans. I prefer to live in reality, not fantasy.
    So, basically Azhar Ali is a legend with an average of 43. And, itís ďhope we donít see Asad Shafiq againĒ, even if he averaged 43.

    The difference in career averages between Azhar and Asad is 700 runs. Ones a legend and the other isnít.


    Bring Back Umar Akmal

  32. #32
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    6,412
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YousafTheBeast View Post
    So, basically Azhar Ali is a legend with an average of 43. And, it’s “hope we don’t see Asad Shafiq again”, even if he averaged 43.

    The difference in career averages between Azhar and Asad is 700 runs. Ones a legend and the other isn’t.
    Does he average 43? How stupid do you have to be to base your entire argument on a make-believe fantasy that exists only in your head?

    Asad Shafiq could never average 43 unless he was batting in a pressure-free No.6 position where all the work would be done by the batsmen before him and he could come in to add some pressure-free runs.

    Unfortunately there is only so long you can spend hiding at No.6 before the responsibility of done the work falls on you and then your mediocrity is exposed.

    Also, if you want to continue debating in B.S hypothetical arguments, don't bother replying at all.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    38,025
    Mentioned
    1298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    I've wanted Azhar to be moved on but he shouldn't be compared to Shafiq.

    Azhar bats at 3 (often coming in early) whereas Shafiq hid away at 6 and rarely made consequential runs.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    3,471
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    Does he average 43? How stupid do you have to be to base your entire argument on a make-believe fantasy that exists only in your head?

    Asad Shafiq could never average 43 unless he was batting in a pressure-free No.6 position where all the work would be done by the batsmen before him and he could come in to add some pressure-free runs.

    Unfortunately there is only so long you can spend hiding at No.6 before the responsibility of done the work falls on you and then your mediocrity is exposed.

    Also, if you want to continue debating in B.S hypothetical arguments, don't bother replying at all.
    No, but the difference is only 700 runs so how is that a freakiní fantasy lol? The fact is heís only 700 runs short of averaging what Azhar averages. Now, if youíre calling one a legend and the other a failure because of a gap of 700 runs then idk what to say.😂

  35. #35
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    6,412
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YousafTheBeast View Post
    No, but the difference is only 700 runs so how is that a freakin’ fantasy lol? The fact is he’s only 700 runs short of averaging what Azhar averages. Now, if you’re calling one a legend and the other a failure because of a gap of 700 runs then idk what to say.��
    The fact that you are basing your entire argument on "just a gap of 700 runs" now shows how truly dim-witted you are.

    Never heard anyone use this as a way of comparing two batters. But then again, considering how desperate you are to make this comparison, I'm not surprised. Especially since any actual barometer of comparing the two i.e. batting average, number of test runs, number of consequential knocks, number of MOM awards has completely abandoned you.

    Even this comparison is an utterly idiotic one considering Shafiq did not score 700 runs in 2019 and 2020 combined. Which means if we brought him into the team today it would take Shafiq 2+ years to get where Azhar is now average-wise.

    You're so over the hill that it's not even funny anymore. And I have no desire to continue indulging you.
    Last edited by RedwoodOriginal; 13th March 2022 at 16:39.

  36. #36
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    3,471
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    The fact that you are basing your entire argument on "just a gap of 700 runs" now shows how truly dim-witted you are.

    Never heard anyone use this as a way of comparing two batters. But then again, considering how desperate you are to make this comparison, I'm not surprised. Especially since any actual barometer of comparing the two i.e. batting average, number of test runs, number of consequential knocks, number of MOM awards has completely abandoned you.

    Even this comparison is an utterly idiotic one considering Shafiq did not score 700 runs in 2019 and 2020 combined. Which means if we brought him into the team today it would take Shafiq 2+ years to get where Azhar is now average-wise.

    You're so over the hill that it's not even funny anymore. And I have no desire to continue indulging you.
    The 700 run argument wouldnít have been used if you hadnít claimed that Azhar Ali is a legend and that averaging low 40ís is ďvery good in this day and ageĒ. Neither are good, one has rightly been dropped and the other keeps hanging on with 1 performance after every 7-8 games. The fact that you seem to be in awe of Azhar Aliís achievement of obtaining 4 MOTM awards in 90+ tests says how low your standards for a legend are. The fact that youíre using Azhar Aliís average (low 40ís) as something to gloat about is laughable. Your argument to defend Azhar is ďbut heís out-scored everyone else in the last 2 yearsĒ yeah well done Asad Shafiq scored more than him from 2018 -2020, didnít matter in the end because he was dropped and rightly so.

  37. #37
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    6,412
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YousafTheBeast View Post
    The 700 run argument wouldn’t have been used if you hadn’t claimed that Azhar Ali is a legend and that averaging low 40’s is “very good in this day and age”. Neither are good, one has rightly been dropped and the other keeps hanging on with 1 performance after every 7-8 games. The fact that you seem to be in awe of Azhar Ali’s achievement of obtaining 4 MOTM awards in 90+ tests says how low your standards for a legend are. The fact that you’re using Azhar Ali’s average (low 40’s) as something to gloat about is laughable. Your argument to defend Azhar is “but he’s out-scored everyone else in the last 2 years” yeah well done Asad Shafiq scored more than him from 2018 -2020, didn’t matter in the end because he was dropped and rightly so.
    The difference between me and you is that unlike you I like to live in the reality.

    You keep comparing Azhar to Mohammad Yousuf and Younis Khan but fact is no Pakistani batter since Misbah has been able to score as many runs as Azhar over such a long period of time while averaging in the 40s throughout. Since Azhar's debut only Cook and the Fab 4 have outscored him. And in the past two years he has found new form and emerged as Pakistan's most prolific batter.

    You should be grateful to have a batter like Azhar Ali in a sea of mediocrity that is Pakistan cricket, instead of being as ungrateful as you are.

    I do consider Azhar Ali to be a modern day legend because despite his limitations he has managed to persevere and succeed in a way that few Pakistani batters in history have been able to. If you have a problem accepting that than that's too bad.

    But don't go around making ludicrous comparisons like that between Azhar and Asad. You're insulting your own intelligence and everyone else's.
    Last edited by RedwoodOriginal; 13th March 2022 at 18:51.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    3,471
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    The difference between me and you is that unlike you I like to live in the reality.

    You keep comparing Azhar to Mohammad Yousuf and Younis Khan but fact is no Pakistani batter since Misbah has been able to score as many runs as Azhar over such a long period of time while averaging in the 40s throughout. Since Azhar's debut only Cook and the Fab 4 have outscored him. And in the past two years he has found new form and emerged as Pakistan's most prolific batter.

    You should be grateful to have a batter like Azhar Ali in a sea of mediocrity that is Pakistan cricket, instead of being as ungrateful as you are.

    I do consider Azhar Ali to be a modern day legend because despite his limitations he has managed to persevere and succeed in a way that few Pakistani batters in history have been able to. If you have a problem accepting that than that's too bad.

    But don't go around making ludicrous comparisons like that between Azhar and Asad. You're insulting your own intelligence and everyone else's.
    But, are you living in reality? Arenít you the one thatís already predicted a certain bowler will be world class based on zero performances on the other thread?

    My issue with Azhar Ali isnít even with his average (which isnít great) but itís his consistency of late. Doing s%#@ all for 4-5 games and then scoring a big hundred to make up for it thus inflating his average.

    Thereís nothing to be grateful for, Iím sure Saud Shakeel and Kamran Ghulam can average low 40ís too if they were given the opportunity.

    Asad Shafiq played what, 72 games without being dropped? That would be considered a success too, no?

    Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq are two players who Pakistan heavily invested in and they failed to pay back. Two failures whoíll be forgotten in the next 10 years.


    Bring Back Umar Akmal

  39. #39
    Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    9,011
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Should not go back to Asad shafiq, instead groom youngsters like Saud Shakeel and Kamran Ghulam

  40. #40
    Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    3,763
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One can only hope that we have seen the last of Asad. Azhar should have been gone too, but we are stuck with him for now.

    Ideally Pakistan needs to have Saud Shakeel, Kamran Ghulam, playing tests. Usman Salahuddin as well as a backup.

  41. #41
    Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    2,325
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone somewhere thought that Asad Shafiq and Shoaib Malik are better test batsmen than Umar Akmal and Fawad Alam that in itself is quite something.


  42. #42
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    6,412
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YousafTheBeast View Post
    But, are you living in reality? Arenít you the one thatís already predicted a certain bowler will be world class based on zero performances on the other thread?

    My issue with Azhar Ali isnít even with his average (which isnít great) but itís his consistency of late. Doing s%#@ all for 4-5 games and then scoring a big hundred to make up for it thus inflating his average.

    Thereís nothing to be grateful for, Iím sure Saud Shakeel and Kamran Ghulam can average low 40ís too if they were given the opportunity.

    Asad Shafiq played what, 72 games without being dropped? That would be considered a success too, no?

    Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq are two players who Pakistan heavily invested in and they failed to pay back. Two failures whoíll be forgotten in the next 10 years.
    As opposed to guys who aren't even doing that? Where does this entitlement come from? Kohli hasn't scored a century for more than 3 years, Babar hasn't scored a test century in 2+ years, Williamson hasn't scored one for more than a year, but how could Azhar Ali possibly score 3 centuries in the same time and inflate his average?

    Your bias towards Azhar is just pathetic and sad. You have no ground to stand on because you know you have no argument based on statistics and numbers. So you keep resorting to different versions of whataboutery.

    Oh and its a little more than 4-5 games and that average is a little more than low 40s. In the past two years he has averaged 48. The second highest for Pakistan behind Fawad Alam. But yeah, keep living in your deluded fantasy where you think players that average 40+ in test cricket over a 10 year career just fall out of trees.

  43. #43
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    6,412
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cric1234 View Post
    Someone somewhere thought that Asad Shafiq and Shoaib Malik are better test batsmen than Umar Akmal and Fawad Alam that in itself is quite something.

    Umar Akmal is a joke and a living, breathing meme...not a test batter.

  44. #44
    Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    108,355
    Mentioned
    678 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    As opposed to guys who aren't even doing that? Where does this entitlement come from? Kohli hasn't scored a century for more than 3 years, Babar hasn't scored a test century in 2+ years, Williamson hasn't scored one for more than a year, but how could Azhar Ali possibly score 3 centuries in the same time and inflate his average?

    Your bias towards Azhar is just pathetic and sad. You have no ground to stand on because you know you have no argument based on statistics and numbers. So you keep resorting to different versions of whataboutery.

    Oh and its a little more than 4-5 games and that average is a little more than low 40s. In the past two years he has averaged 48. The second highest for Pakistan behind Fawad Alam. But yeah, keep living in your deluded fantasy where you think players that average 40+ in test cricket over a 10 year career just fall out of trees.
    You keep on harping on about this 48 average in last 2 years?

    2020

    Vs bangla - 34
    Vs England - 0, 18, 20, 141, 31 ( 4 failures in 5 inns)
    vs NZ - 5, 38, 93, 37 (again 1 good knock in a series)
    vs SA - 51, 31*, 0, 33 (pretty poor series with the bat)
    vs Might Zimbabwe - 126, 17
    vs WI - 17, 23, 0, 22 ( poor series with the bat)
    vs Bangla 0, 24, 56* ( again 1 good knock in a series)

    yet people will hide behind the stats rather then looking at his over poor contributions per most series in those 2 years. Im sure you see his batting in england, SA and WI series as acceptable?

  45. #45
    Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    2,325
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    Umar Akmal is a joke and a living, breathing meme...not a test batter.
    Heís a better test batsman than Azhar and Shafiq thatís what matters the biggest joke are these slow batters putting everyone to sleep on flat wickets batting like there are playing on greentops.


  46. #46
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    6,412
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cric1234 View Post
    He’s a better test batsman than Azhar and Shafiq that’s what matters the biggest joke are these slow batters putting everyone to sleep on flat wickets batting like there are playing on greentops.

    Maybe he was in 2009. But that 13 years ago bro. Time to move on...

  47. #47
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    6,412
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amjid Javed View Post
    You keep on harping on about this 48 average in last 2 years?

    2020

    Vs bangla - 34
    Vs England - 0, 18, 20, 141, 31 ( 4 failures in 5 inns)
    vs NZ - 5, 38, 93, 37 (again 1 good knock in a series)
    vs SA - 51, 31*, 0, 33 (pretty poor series with the bat)
    vs Might Zimbabwe - 126, 17
    vs WI - 17, 23, 0, 22 ( poor series with the bat)
    vs Bangla 0, 24, 56* ( again 1 good knock in a series)

    yet people will hide behind the stats rather then looking at his over poor contributions per most series in those 2 years. Im sure you see his batting in england, SA and WI series as acceptable?
    Keep laughing all you want but fact is you can't find a single Pakistani batter who scored more runs than him during this period. The fact that you are climbing all over him just tells me that you don't really care about successes or failures...you just don't like him.

    Where is the same breakdown for guys like Babar, Abid, Rizwan? I bet you couldn't even find as many successes/good knocks in their breakdown for the last two years which just tells me that you are dictated by your bias towards Azhar rather than any sense of objective analysis. Btw wanna know how many batsmen IN THE WORLD have outscored him during this period? 3. That's right 3....in the entire world.

    I wonder how many failures, poor series all the guys below Joe Root, Rishabh Pant and Azhar Ali must have had. Eagerly looking forward to the innings breakdowns from you.

  48. #48
    Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    108,355
    Mentioned
    678 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    Keep laughing all you want but fact is you can't find a single Pakistani batter who scored more runs than him during this period. The fact that you are climbing all over him just tells me that you don't really care about successes or failures...you just don't like him.

    Where is the same breakdown for guys like Babar, Abid, Rizwan? I bet you couldn't even find as many successes/good knocks in their breakdown for the last two years which just tells me that you are dictated by your bias towards Azhar rather than any sense of objective analysis. Btw wanna know how many batsmen IN THE WORLD have outscored him during this period? 3. That's right 3....in the entire world.

    I wonder how many failures, poor series all the guys below Joe Root, Rishabh Pant and Azhar Ali must have had. Eagerly looking forward to the innings breakdowns from you.
    so again you keep harping on like a broken record about amount of runs. so 1 good inns per series is that of a pakistani legend is it?

    Most quality batsmen score 2 or 3 knocks a series, something Azhar has failed to do in any series in last 2 years. Yet your doing bhangra as you see performing in 1 inns per series to save a place in team as legendary.

    I see you avoided my question about the england, SA and WI series. feel free to respond and then il look at your request and respond.

  49. #49
    Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    108,355
    Mentioned
    678 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    Keep laughing all you want but fact is you can't find a single Pakistani batter who scored more runs than him during this period. The fact that you are climbing all over him just tells me that you don't really care about successes or failures...you just don't like him.

    Where is the same breakdown for guys like Babar, Abid, Rizwan? I bet you couldn't even find as many successes/good knocks in their breakdown for the last two years which just tells me that you are dictated by your bias towards Azhar rather than any sense of objective analysis. Btw wanna know how many batsmen IN THE WORLD have outscored him during this period? 3. That's right 3....in the entire world.

    I wonder how many failures, poor series all the guys below Joe Root, Rishabh Pant and Azhar Ali must have had. Eagerly looking forward to the innings breakdowns from you.
    1) Abid Ali is a tried and test failure and shouldnt even be in the test side, so for you to even bring his name up in comparison is stupid.

    2) Rizwan in 2020 and 2021 - played just 4 tests inns so the sample size is very small so again a stupid comparison to make. How can you gage someones test form on 4 inns in 2 test series?

    No wonder you brought these names up, do you even think before making these pointless comparisons?

  50. #50
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    3,471
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    Keep laughing all you want but fact is you can't find a single Pakistani batter who scored more runs than him during this period. The fact that you are climbing all over him just tells me that you don't really care about successes or failures...you just don't like him.

    Where is the same breakdown for guys like Babar, Abid, Rizwan? I bet you couldn't even find as many successes/good knocks in their breakdown for the last two years which just tells me that you are dictated by your bias towards Azhar rather than any sense of objective analysis. Btw wanna know how many batsmen IN THE WORLD have outscored him during this period? 3. That's right 3....in the entire world.

    I wonder how many failures, poor series all the guys below Joe Root, Rishabh Pant and Azhar Ali must have had. Eagerly looking forward to the innings breakdowns from you.

    Being the best mediocre player out of the rest of the mediocre players doesn’t make you a legend. Azhar is 37, whilst the others are in their 20’s and haven’t yet peaked. So, why should we compare him to the youngsters?

    The problem is no one is calling Rizwan and Babar a legend in test cricket.

    Give some of the other teams a chance to play against Zimbabwe and you’ll see more batsman out scoring him.

    We get it, you’re an Azhar Ali ****** like I’m an Umar Akmal ******, but even I’m willing to criticise UA whereas you’re just throwing your toys out the pram and getting personal just for a mediocre player.


    Bring Back Umar Akmal

  51. #51
    Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    2nd Room on the left
    Runs
    20,748
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It's Hindsight but Asad is a better player of fast bowling and spin than the Fawads and Faheems and Imams

  52. #52
    Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    2nd Room on the left
    Runs
    20,748
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Should be immediately brought back he is a veteran team needs a solid middle order player as Azhar and Fawad will be axed he should play at 5

  53. #53
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    17,249
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kianig89 View Post
    Should be immediately brought back he is a veteran team needs a solid middle order player as Azhar and Fawad will be axed he should play at 5
    Lol No chance We should be looking forward not backwards He wasnt good enough when he was dropped Hes in his mid 30s Hes had his time Move forward

    Time to invest in saud and kamran ghulam

  54. #54
    Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    2,922
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kianig89 View Post
    Should be immediately brought back he is a veteran team needs a solid middle order player as Azhar and Fawad will be axed he should play at 5
    It's sorta too late for him now at the age of 36.
    But yes, we did need another solid batsman in the line up. Our tail started at #6 against Australia.

  55. #55
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    13,654
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kianig89 View Post
    Should be immediately brought back he is a veteran team needs a solid middle order player as Azhar and Fawad will be axed he should play at 5
    Brought back and play till 50 ?

  56. #56
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    8,040
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    please no.. people forget shafiq averaged 30 for years before he was dropped. pak dont need more mental midgets, need to get in someone who is aggressive and can actually win you a game, rather than contribute consistent but eventually meaningless innings.

    ghulam, shakeel, hurraira, haider ali, agha salman, saad khan deserve it more than asad shafiq.

  57. #57
    Debut
    Feb 2021
    Runs
    226
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Villager6964

    I think we should bring back Asad and also keep Fawad in the team.

  58. #58
    Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    2nd Room on the left
    Runs
    20,748
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Highest scorers for Pakistan in Test cricket from March 2018 to March 2020:

    Player Matches Runs Average 100s 50s
    Babar Azam 15 1375 65.47 5 9
    Asad Shafiq 16 979 37.65 1 9
    Azhar Ali 16 790 27.24 2 4
    Haris Sohail 12 643 35.72 2 1
    Shan Masood 8 624 44.57 2 3

    https://propakistani.pk/2022/03/25/t...-shafiq-stats/

    Amazing just amazing the one averaging 27 is persisted with while the others are left in oblivion THats Pakistan cricker for you.


    Quote Originally Posted by Arsal_AK View Post
    If Hafeez can get two hundreds in a game anyone can.

  59. #59
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    175,021
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Done well in Pakistan Cup

    In second semi-final- for Balochistan vs Sindh

    Asad Shafiq batting at number four scored 64 off 69, which included five boundaries.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  60. #60
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    175,021
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Takes a wicket in Pakistan Cup final for Balochistan:



    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  61. #61
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    43,638
    Mentioned
    409 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mohammad Yousuf on Shafiq:

    ďComing to Asad Shafiq, I feel his performances in First-Class are not to the level that is expected; Especially, when you want to make a comeback, you have to play exceptional cricket so that you can displace someone who is already in the side. I still believe that Asad Shafiq has it in him to make a comeback. However, if he is not able to perform well in FC, then its upto the captain, coach and selectors to decide on his inclusion and [this is] not in my domain.Ē

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •