South Africa (296/4) beat India (265/8) by 31 runs after centuries by van der Dussen and Bavuma - Page 3

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    Terrestrial
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India has been pulling off Pakistan style game play for the last few months.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2924 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    South Africa skipper Temba Bavuma expressed happiness after his side defeated India in the first ODI on Wednesday. Bavuma and Rassie van der Dussen's centuries were backed by a spirited bowling performance as South Africa defeated India by 31 runs in the first ODI of the three-match series. "We played close to a perfect game, that's quite hard in 50-over cricket. We can take a lot of confidence. I struggled throughout the innings, Rassie seemed like batting on another wicket. That partnership was the decider. I tried to partner him as much as I could.

"Another good debut for him (Jansen), we feel he can take wickets with the new ball. He's growing from strength to strength and it's nice to see. Aiden is always an option with the ball, especially with the new ball," said Bavuma after the game.

"He's been doing a fantastic job. Andile was good, he understood the situation. He knew what he needed to do. He's a big player within the team. It's good to see him take charge. Spinners have been great. Shamsi - we are trying to use him differently, using him at the death and he's doing it well. Spinners have been good. Nice to have Quinny back, nice to see him smile. He's a big player for me, he's a big player for the team, his energy and his experience helps us a lot," he added.

For India, only Shikhar Dhawan (79), Shardul Thakur (50*), and Virat Kohli(51) got going with the bat, and otherwise, it was a disappointing show.

NDTV

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2924 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    India's stand-in captain KL Rahul conceded that India gave 15-20 runs too much to South Africa in the first ODI against South Africa but rued the lack of partnerships in the middle-order after they fell to a 31-run defeat at the Boland Park in Paarl.

KL Rahul, speaking after the defeat, pointed fingers at the middle-order after they were restricted to 265/8 in their quota of 50 overs. India fell from 138/1 to 199/7 as they suffered a collapse after well-set batters Shikhar Dhawan (79) and Virat Kohli (51) departed in quick succession following a 92-run stand for the 2nd wicket.

Rishabh Pant, who had headed into the ODI series after a hundred in the 3rd Test, and Shreyas Iyer, who returned to the XI failed to get going after which R Ashwin fell cheaply.

Shardul Thakur hit his maiden ODI fifty in a valiant knock towards the end but the asking rate shot up with wickets falling in regular intervals.

KL Rahul conceded that India's middle-order issues have been long-standing and also pointed out the lack of wickets in the middle overs.

India had South Africa reeling at 68/3 but a 204-run stand between centurions Temba Bavuma and Rassie van der Dussen helped them post an above-par total of 296 on a sluggish pitch in Paarl.

"It was a nice game. There's so much to learn. We started off really well, we couldn't get wickets in the middle. We'll look to see how we get wickets in the middle overs and stop the opposition. The middle-order couldn't get going. We were on par for the first 20-25 overs of the game. I thought we would chase it down easily but SA bowled really well and got crucial wickets.

"I didn't bat after the 20th over, I don't know if it changed drastically. Virat and Shikhar told that it was a good wicket to bat on, you just had to spend some time in the middle, unfortunately, we couldn't get the partnership going. They did really well, they put pressure on the bowlers and we couldn't get those wickets in the middle. 290+ was 20 runs extra, but we just needed more partnerships in the middle," Rahul said.

India will look to bounce back when they take on the hosts in the 2nd ODI on Friday in Paarl at the same venue. While the ongoing 3-match series is not part of the ODI Super League, Rahul said the series gives them a great opportunity to work on their shortcomings in the lead up to the next year's World Cup.

"Every game is important for us, we all want to go out there and give our best performances. We haven't played one-day cricket for a while, we have the WC in mind and we want to get the best XI on the park. We'll make mistakes but we'll learn from them," he added

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cri...019-2022-01-19

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Is it true that Kohli was very aloof, dis interested and kept to himself?

Debut
    Mar 2021
    Venue
    The Universe
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Don't think so. I watched some of the match, seemed quite standard, nothing noticeable.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by soso_killer View Post
    Just you buddy. Strange going after a guy that actually maximizes his limited potential instead of going after guys who've either failed for years or aren't even close at maximizing their full potential. Played a top innings today did Bavuma
    Nah it was a dead innings from a dead player.

Debut
    Mar 2021
    Venue
    The Universe
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    Nah it was a dead innings from a dead player.

Definitely just you.

Top player.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He wasn’t sitting with the KL Rahul group. He was with Bumrah and a few others. They were not all sitting together that’s for sure

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Calgary, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing the latter two replies to your post, makes me curious why you would of asked this to begin with?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Just saw the highlights. A very flat performance by India, zero energy in the field. Kohli with his non stop chirping and energy would have ensured that this was not the case. Definately a difference seen with Kohli not captaining India.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Babeikh View Post
    Definitely just you.

Top player.
    He never was and never will be a top player.

He makes the team merely due to SA's racial quota.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MP2011 View Post
    Jadeja is a nothing bat in LoIs, just a pretender.
    Stil better than ashwin who was batting at 7.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RainStopsPlay View Post
    Dhawan is the 2nd best Asian opener after Rohit sharma in ODIs in the last 10 years. Makes batting look so easy.
    Dhawan is good but fakhar has more gears.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thakur can only bat at 7 if they have someone who can smash at 8.

Pant is batting to high at 4.

Debut
    Mar 2021
    Venue
    The Universe
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    He never was and never will be a top player.

He makes the team merely due to SA's racial quota.
    He is a very good batsman

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think golden age of india producing big players 2000-2018 is gone.

I think current lot will struggle.

I feel Indian cricket is on slow gradual decline, they will definitely come back stronger but i think that will happen post 2025.

India at its peak 2011-2021 was once in a life experience.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A fully fit Hardik Pandya is still India's best bet here at no 6.

He is not only a better bowler than trundler Venky Iyer but also a better batsman, fielder and hitter than him. He was missed yesterday.

It is a shame that when he should have been at peak of his powers, he is abandoning the LOI matches for his team.
    Last edited by Ab Fan; 20th January 2022 at 12:26.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarwar89 View Post
    I think golden age of india producing big players 2000-2018 is gone.

I think current lot will struggle.

I feel Indian cricket is on slow gradual decline, they will definitely come back stronger but i think that will happen post 2025.

India at its peak 2011-2021 was once in a life experience.
    2007-11 was even greater peak. Yuvi and Dhoni winning games and chasing totals were normalcy back then.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    Stil better than ashwin who was batting at 7.
    Sure. But that doesn't say much.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Jadeja has improved his batting in last couple of years and his bowling in ODIs is good for home conditions. He averages 33 at home being economical while 40 away in ODIs.

Problem in his case is that he is a poor T20 cricketer but he gets consistent run in that format because they mix formats.

Dhawan and Jadeja are good ODI cricketers but bad T20I cricketers. Same is the case with Shreyas Iyer too.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Jadeja has improved his batting in last couple of years and his bowling in ODIs is good for home conditions. He averages 33 at home being economical while 40 away in ODIs.

Problem in his case is that he is a poor T20 cricketer but he gets consistent run in that format because they mix formats.

Dhawan and Jadeja are good ODI cricketers but bad T20I cricketers. Same is the case with Shreyas Iyer too.
    Even in T20s he gets chances because there is no one who can bat at 7 and bowl 4 overs. Performs in IPL so gets picked.

Its all because of Hardik's injury. Jaddu was dropped in 2017 but brought back due to HP's injury and they haven't developed anyone for the role in both LOI formats.

In future,Abhishek Sharma can be developed. Though he too is opener for Punjab.Everyone lines up to bat top 3 these days

The only disability in life is a bad attitude. -Scott Hamilton