[VIDEOS] "Azhar Ali isn't good enough"


Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 80 of 744
  1. #1
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Parts Unknown
    Runs
    8,403
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    [VIDEOS] "Azhar Ali isn't good enough"

    Maybe its just me but for me the appeal of test cricket has always been the idea of man battling adversity and succeeding only through sheer will, determination and hardwork. You don't necessarily have to even be a good cricketer to succeed at limited-overs cricket, but you have to be a damn good one to succeed at test cricket. Talent matters but guts, determination and character separate the best from the rest.

    It is for this reason that I was always a big fan of limited cricketers who still find ways to be successful. Why I think Faf du Plessis's match-saving 110 against Australia at Adelaide in 2010 is one of the greatest innings every played on a cricket pitch and why I am a massive fan of Dean Elgar and Azhar Ali today.

    But at the same time though I have also accepted that despite being an outstanding cricketer and humble servant who has done great things for Pakistan cricket, Azhar Ali will never get the respect he truly deserves from most Pakistani fans even as he nears 100 tests and continues to stamp his authority at the age of 37...standing at 5th in Pakistan's all-time run-scorer list, seemingly poised to go past Mohammad Yousuf.

    For Pakistani fans it does not matter that he has the highest average against Australia in the world in test cricket during the last decade. A team that has always haunted even the best Pakistani batsmen, and a team against whom only Miandad and Zaheer Abbas have amassed more runs than him at a far inferior average. It does not matter to such fans that he has scored more hundreds than Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman in fewer innings. Or that only Alaister Cook and David Warner have scored more runs than him since his test debut. Either they simply donot know all these things or they choose to ignore them over their personal dislike for the guy.

    His monster run from 2016 or his marquee knocks such as the triple hundred against West Indies, the double ton in Australia or the match-saving 141 in England are never given their due appreciation. And regardless of how he is doing, the conversation generally tends to center around when he is going to be replaced. As if the second coming of Bradman is just waiting in the wings to take his spot.

    For me however, Azhar's lack of flair or limited repertoire of shots have always been what makes him so great. The fact that he is such a limited batter and still manages to be successful. The fact that he finds ways to persevere through tough situations and play crucial knocks that most people don't even notice because of how understated they are. In short, he personifies the very values of character, grit and determination that define great test cricketers.

    After the dismal years he had in 2018 and 2019, even I thought that his career was nearing its end. But such was the man's character and temperament that not only did he come back from that slump but followed it by scoring more runs than anyone in the world in the next two years.

    Yeah, that's right. No one in the world has scored more test runs than Azhar Ali since the start of 2020. And he has done it at an average of 48. The next Pakistani is 150 runs behind him.

    The next conversation from his detractors would inevitably center on how he has dominated Zimbabwe and Bangladesh and Zimbabwe during this time period to pad up his stats. But if you take out his performances against those two teams he still averages 46.

    Even as he smacked Lyon and the Australian pacers around Rawalpindi yesterday and scored the lions-share of runs in his century stand with Babar, it was almost as if he was playing second fiddle because all the crowd was interested in cheering was Babar's name. But that didn't stop Azhar from putting one of the best bowling attacks in the world to the sword. Without his impeccably calculated knock---where he batted patiently for his first hundred runs and then ramped it up to a strike-rate of 80+ for his next 85---Pakistan might not have even reached 450 by the end of the day.

    But ofcourse none of that mattered as one of the first questions in the press conference to him was not a question, but a statement..."have you calculated how damaging you century is to the team?"

    While it is laughable though that a so called journalist thought Azhar's marathon 185 against one of the best bowling attacks in the world...scored at a SR of 51 was damaging to the team cause it certainly isn't the least bit surprising because most Pakistani fans likely hold the same view.

    Azhar's time will eventually come. And it isn't the least bit surprising to imagine that most strike-rate obsessed young Pakistani fans who grew up in the age of Afridi will likely breathe a sigh of relief and be happy. But the small number of others--of which I am a part of---who recognize everything this man has done for Pakistan cricket will know perfectly well who they will be losing.

    So before that moment comes, I would just like to say thank you Azhar Ali...for everything you have done for Pakistan cricket. What certain out of touch fans think about you matters little in the grand scheme of things because when all is said and done, history will remember you as a fighter who always punched above his weight and achieved great things for Pakistan cricket.

    You made me love test cricket even more than I thought I did and for that I will always be grateful to you.
    Last edited by RedwoodOriginal; 6th March 2022 at 10:13.

  2. #2
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    9,880
    Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is walking wicket in any challenging conditions .most of his runs have been meanigless, with no impact, he goes missing on big ocassions, an average palyer at his best.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    97,925
    Mentioned
    8077 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Pakistan is the least talented and skilled cricket nation ever, and that is especially true for our batsmen.

    Azhar is a very good player for our poor standards, but he isnít a top player. Hasnít shaped enough wins against the big teams.

    His runs usually donít come quickly enough to put Pakistan in a commanding position. It is incredible how he looks scratchy and unsettled even after batting for hours. He is always in survival mode and can never dominate.

    The worst moment of his career was against New Zealand in Dubai. Pakistan needed 10 runs with 1 wicket in hand and his strategy was to take 10 singles.

    He didnít have the cojones to back himself and hit a couple of boundaries. In the end, he got out himself by playing defensive shots.

    A batsman who is always in survival mode can never be considered a top player. His presence at the crease is never a threat for the opposition.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    3,801
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    POTW

    Azhar Ali is arguably the greatest test batsmen to represent Pakistan.

    Had it not been for his 141* in 2020, his average would have fallen to 20. Stuff of legends.

    Had it not been for his 126 vs Zimbabwe, his average in 2021 wouldíve dropped down to 35.

    Azhar Ali is about to achieve what no other Pakistani batsman has, 100 test caps whilst averaging a might 42 odd.

    Hail Hail mighty Azhar.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    1,923
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azhar Ali is the perfect example of the modern pakistani test cricketer.

    Place in the team over anything else. Personal milestones over substance. He bats every innings as if heís in a crisis. Whether he walks in at 100-1 or 0-1, heíll play with the same trepidation. The reason why? Itís always a crisis for him as all heís interested in is not getting dropped.

    And lo and behold, when there are real crises, he conveniently gets out very easily. Heís the king of the nothing innings. Whether itís 0 or 100, it never lead to anything.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    97,925
    Mentioned
    8077 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Azhar Ali has mistimed 90% of the deliveries he has faced in his career.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    97,925
    Mentioned
    8077 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Azhar Ali is the perfect example of the modern pakistani test cricketer.

    Place in the team over anything else. Personal milestones over substance. He bats every innings as if heís in a crisis. Whether he walks in at 100-1 or 0-1, heíll play with the same trepidation. The reason why? Itís always a crisis for him as all heís interested in is not getting dropped.

    And lo and behold, when there are real crises, he conveniently gets out very easily. Heís the king of the nothing innings. Whether itís 0 or 100, it never lead to anything.
    This is the perfect description of his career. Iím sorry to say this but Fawad is pretty much in the same category.

    They always make things look difficult.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    https://t.me/pump_upp
    Runs
    1,492
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I truly hope Azhar Ali bats till he's 60 so we see more tributes like these.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    3,801
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Azhar Ali is the perfect example of the modern pakistani test cricketer.

    Place in the team over anything else. Personal milestones over substance. He bats every innings as if heís in a crisis. Whether he walks in at 100-1 or 0-1, heíll play with the same trepidation. The reason why? Itís always a crisis for him as all heís interested in is not getting dropped.

    And lo and behold, when there are real crises, he conveniently gets out very easily. Heís the king of the nothing innings. Whether itís 0 or 100, it never lead to anything.
    This needs to be put into his Wiki page.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    19,411
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This pitch was personally made for Azhar to save his sinking career

  11. #11
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    8,871
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    had a purple patch opening for 2 or 3 years, which is where his defensive batting style is most forgivable. his lack of initiative means even if pak are in a good position at 1 down he'll always give opposition a chance to regroup and get back in.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    1,424
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When reflexes gone azhar ali makes a 100 with ease , you know the pitch is a complete dead road stinker.

    Curator should be ashamed its these pitches that kill off test cricket , if you can't have a sporting wicket and an equal balance between bat and ball, then don't bother with test cricket

  13. #13
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    5,782
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No different to Pujara, only difference is India always have one or two world class or dominating batsmen to balance out his inning. India batting line has been a lot better than Pakistan overall so they won a lot more recently. All batting teams need Azhar and Pujara type batsmen.
    Last edited by PakPremi; 6th March 2022 at 16:53.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    45,411
    Mentioned
    602 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is a boring personality. Proper wannabe.

    Nothing original about him and is now becoming quite big headed as he closes in on 100 Tests. First he overdid the Misbah push up celebration. Then he copies Fawad's cringe horse celebration. Goes off to give an interview about how he 'has been in this position many times before' when asked about nearing a milestone.

    Probably the weakest and most untalented Pakistani batsman to have achieved over 6500 Test runs. Yes he has been good during his career as well but hardly convincing like YK, Moyo and Inzimam were.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    Terrestrial
    Runs
    6,487
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can open Chanderpaul's record and it'll be excellent. But he won't make it to any of the contention for any batter category. Ajju bhai is similar.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    17,972
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Azhar alis had a great career and just what pakistan needed post 2009 Uncontroversial, reliable and gutsy

    However he is well past his peak and at 37 isnt going to get better

    Bearing in mind the future its imperative he is slowly fazed out

  17. #17
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    26,205
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has become old. I think it is time to hang up his boots.

    He used to be quite good during his peak years.


    Bangladeshi Guy

  18. #18
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    8,637
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He has the same mentality as Misbah, his legacy is defined by his ability to play sedately and retain his place in the side even if it's a World Cup semi-final.

    The innings he played is nothing worthy of mention when you consider the rate at which Australia have scored their runs so far:

    Australia have scored on 271 off 71 overs. In contrast Pakistan scored 245 off 90 overs after batting for the whole day on day 1.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    32,351
    Mentioned
    4902 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    Maybe its just me but for me the appeal of test cricket has always been the idea of man battling adversity and succeeding only through sheer will, determination and hardwork. You don't necessarily have to even be a good cricketer to succeed at limited-overs cricket, but you have to be a damn good one to succeed at test cricket. Talent matters but guts, determination and character separate the best from the rest.

    It is for this reason that I was always a big fan of limited cricketers who still find ways to be successful. Why I think Faf du Plessis's match-saving 110 against Australia at Adelaide in 2010 is one of the greatest innings every played on a cricket pitch and why I am a massive fan of Dean Elgar and Azhar Ali today.

    But at the same time though I have also accepted that despite being an outstanding cricketer and humble servant who has done great things for Pakistan cricket, Azhar Ali will never get the respect he truly deserves from most Pakistani fans even as he nears 100 tests and continues to stamp his authority at the age of 37...standing at 5th in Pakistan's all-time run-scorer list, seemingly poised to go past Mohammad Yousuf.

    For Pakistani fans it does not matter that he has the highest average against Australia in the world in test cricket during the last decade. A team that has always haunted even the best Pakistani batsmen, and a team against whom only Miandad and Zaheer Abbas have amassed more runs than him at a far inferior average. It does not matter to such fans that he has scored more hundreds than Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman in fewer innings. Or that only Alaister Cook and David Warner have scored more runs than him since his test debut. Either they simply donot know all these things or they choose to ignore them over their personal dislike for the guy.

    His monster run from 2016 or his marquee knocks such as the triple hundred against West Indies, the double ton in Australia or the match-saving 141 in England are never given their due appreciation. And regardless of how he is doing, the conversation generally tends to center around when he is going to be replaced. As if the second coming of Bradman is just waiting in the wings to take his spot.

    For me however, Azhar's lack of flair or limited repertoire of shots have always been what makes him so great. The fact that he is such a limited batter and still manages to be successful. The fact that he finds ways to persevere through tough situations and play crucial knocks that most people don't even notice because of how understated they are. In short, he personifies the very values of character, grit and determination that define great test cricketers.

    After the dismal years he had in 2018 and 2019, even I thought that his career was nearing its end. But such was the man's character and temperament that not only did he come back from that slump but followed it by scoring more runs than anyone in the world in the next two years.

    Yeah, that's right. No one in the world has scored more test runs than Azhar Ali since the start of 2020. And he has done it at an average of 48. The next Pakistani is 150 runs behind him.

    The next conversation from his detractors would inevitably center on how he has dominated Zimbabwe and Bangladesh and Zimbabwe during this time period to pad up his stats. But if you take out his performances against those two teams he still averages 46.

    Even as he smacked Lyon and the Australian pacers around Rawalpindi yesterday and scored the lions-share of runs in his century stand with Babar, it was almost as if he was playing second fiddle because all the crowd was interested in cheering was Babar's name. But that didn't stop Azhar from putting one of the best bowling attacks in the world to the sword. Without his impeccably calculated knock---where he batted patiently for his first hundred runs and then ramped it up to a strike-rate of 80+ for his next 85---Pakistan might not have even reached 450 by the end of the day.

    But ofcourse none of that mattered as one of the first questions in the press conference to him was not a question, but a statement..."have you calculated how damaging you century is to the team?"

    While it is laughable though that a so called journalist thought Azhar's marathon 185 against one of the best bowling attacks in the world...scored at a SR of 51 was damaging to the team cause it certainly isn't the least bit surprising because most Pakistani fans likely hold the same view.

    Azhar's time will eventually come. And it isn't the least bit surprising to imagine that most strike-rate obsessed young Pakistani fans who grew up in the age of Afridi will likely breathe a sigh of relief and be happy. But the small number of others--of which I am a part of---who recognize everything this man has done for Pakistan cricket will know perfectly well who they will be losing.

    So before that moment comes, I would just like to say thank you Azhar Ali...for everything you have done for Pakistan cricket. What certain out of touch fans think about you matters little in the grand scheme of things because when all is said and done, history will remember you as a fighter who always punched above his weight and achieved great things for Pakistan cricket.

    You made me love test cricket even more than I thought I did and for that I will always be grateful to you.
    POTW @MenInG

    So many cowards posting in this thread, the sort who collapse and give up like a pack of cards when the going gets tough but Azhar is a fighting man. Younis Khan wasnít the most gifted or eye pleasing to watch either especially at the start of his innings but I see similar qualities in Azhar when it comes to his fighting spirit and never say die attitude. Heís not what he was and it takes him a few innings to get his eye in now but he can still produce magic with the bat as we have seen recently against a high quality attack. Itís important to have plenty of youth in a team but itís fine to have 1 of 2 players who have a bit of experience, they add great value in the dressing room and can produce the goods at times as well. He isnít the most gifted and has struggled in LOIís especially but never forget his fighting knock in the Champions Trophy final which took pressure off at the top of the order. If he were no good we wouldnít pay him to come over here time and time again, he has been a great sport in the county championship and in the shorter formats. Top lad.
    Last edited by shaz619; 6th March 2022 at 18:40.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Mar 2009
    Venue
    UK England
    Runs
    3,835
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    POTW @MenInG

    So many cowards posting in this thread, the sort who collapse and give up like a pack of cards when the going gets tough but Azhar is a fighting man. Younis Khan wasnít the most gifted or eye pleasing to watch either especially at the start of his innings but I see similar qualities in Azhar when it comes to his fighting spirit and never say die attitude. Heís not what he was and it takes him a few innings to get his eye in now but he can still produce magic with the bat as we have seen recently against a high quality attack. Itís important to have plenty of youth in a team but itís fine to have 1 of 2 players who have a bit of experience, they add great value in the dressing room and can produce the goods at times as well. He isnít the most gifted and has struggled in LOIís especially but never forget his fighting knock in the Champions Trophy final which took pressure off at the top of the order. If he were no good we wouldnít pay him to come over here time and time again, he has been a great sport in the county championship and in the shorter formats. Top lad.
    What a joke. Younis Khan the test boss man is miles better than Azhar Ali. There is no comparison there.

  21. #21
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    3,185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has been pretty good since the start of 2020.

    averaged 52 in england and 43 in new zealand.

    only struggled in the west indies

  22. #22
    Debut
    Apr 2021
    Runs
    1,301
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He’s a rich man pujara.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Mar 2009
    Venue
    UK England
    Runs
    3,835
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    POTW @MenInG

    So many cowards posting in this thread, the sort who collapse and give up like a pack of cards when the going gets tough but Azhar is a fighting man. Younis Khan wasnít the most gifted or eye pleasing to watch either especially at the start of his innings but I see similar qualities in Azhar when it comes to his fighting spirit and never say die attitude. Heís not what he was and it takes him a few innings to get his eye in now but he can still produce magic with the bat as we have seen recently against a high quality attack. Itís important to have plenty of youth in a team but itís fine to have 1 of 2 players who have a bit of experience, they add great value in the dressing room and can produce the goods at times as well. He isnít the most gifted and has struggled in LOIís especially but never forget his fighting knock in the Champions Trophy final which took pressure off at the top of the order. If he were no good we wouldnít pay him to come over here time and time again, he has been a great sport in the county championship and in the shorter formats. Top lad.

    What a joke. Younis Khan the test batsmen is miles better than Azhar Ali. There is no comparison there.
    No one is denying he might be a nice guy, gritty and put in the hard work. He has been really good in his prime but heís passed it he should hang up the boots.
    Scoring at two runs an over is simply not good enough. Pakistan batted two full days if any other team had done that they wouldíve scored more than 600 runs. Taking singles and batting so slowly it doesnít do anything for your own Cricket, doesnít do anything for the brand of test cricket, Iím surprised people even came To watch day 2 after watching day one. Having one batsmen with this approach sometimes is okay however our top three all bat like this. We need someone who can add a bit Urgency to the innings. Where at any stage did it look like we were wanting to score big and really work towards a win?

    Did Australia at any point look threatened by his batting? At any stage of the game were they worried about azhar Ali? What makes it even worse it is the flattest deck you can get. Itís not about scoring quick however itís about making progress and making good runs at a reasonable rate when considering the conditions. If the ball was swinging and seeming in every direction the it would have been a different matter.

    In reality if you bat for two days then you should only need to back once. 450 runs in 2 days on a road is poor batting. We shouldíve scored 600+ runs declared and not have to bat again with the scoreboard pressure. We may have been able to win the game or had some contest.

    We batted to draw thatís a fact.
    Last edited by adzzy786; 6th March 2022 at 18:53.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    7,980
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DRsohail View Post
    He is walking wicket in any challenging conditions .most of his runs have been meanigless, with no impact, he goes missing on big ocassions, an average palyer at his best.
    This wicket was made for the aging and non-performing cricketers like Azgar and now we're stuck with him for another 2 years and he would not have to score any runs , he is good for another 2 years, great.

    Home conditions are supposed to be the perfect opportunity to give debut to your youngster who have been knocking at the test door and not the "benefit series" for the useless and aged flat track bullies.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    2,822
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azhar has averaged 24 in SENA since Younis retired saved his career with a few scores there and now will play another 20 tests after this hundred.

    Interestingly his supporters never mention his record in SENA and how Pakistan has lost all tests there but as soon he bats on a flat wicket and makes a hundred heís hailed as the next great.

    He will play maybe 120 tests and average 41-42 at a strike rate of 40 compare that to the best Pakistani batsmen then you see how far behind he is.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    7,963
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problem is Azhar is just getting a free ride in the side for at least a couple of years now and has only survived due to his seniority status.

    There's no doubt that Azhar has been a fantastic servant to Pakistan cricket, but time waits for no man and his time is over. Is there really no one in the last 5 or 6 years in the whole domestic setup in Pakistan that hasn't been able to challenge for his position? If that's the case, then there is something really wrong but I don't believe that's true.

    Contrary to some opinion(s), I don't believe that Pakistan is the least talented and or skilled cricket nation ever especially when to comes to our batsmen. History has proven that we have produced our fair share, maybe not as many as the other top teams, but we have produced them. Insha'Allah, we will produce many more in the coming years.

    Pakistan has full capability of getting to the summit of cricket even in Test format but is blighted by the incessant corruption, cronyism, nepotism and sonority worship amongst other things.

    Seniors end up with too much power where they can effectively decide when they want to stop playing for the team despite not performing to standards. We are now seeing this with Azhar where it is hurting the team more than benefitting it.

    Pakistan selectors need to become more decisive if not ruthless when it comes to selecting players and not just picking up free loaders as it means our chances of competing become more diminished. We have seen this with countless overseas tours in the last few years and it has become embarrassing.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    631
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azhar is a fringe Pakistani great should be encouraged by PCB and fans to reach 8K test runs at ~45. The third-best batsmen to have come from Asia below Kohli and Younis in past 22 years, has much better SENA record than Pujara.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Apr 2021
    Runs
    1,301
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Azhar Ali has mistimed 90% of the deliveries he has faced in his career.
    And he still a a rich man Pujara.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    1,923
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    POTW @MenInG

    So many cowards posting in this thread, the sort who collapse and give up like a pack of cards when the going gets tough but Azhar is a fighting man. Younis Khan wasnít the most gifted or eye pleasing to watch either especially at the start of his innings but I see similar qualities in Azhar when it comes to his fighting spirit and never say die attitude. Heís not what he was and it takes him a few innings to get his eye in now but he can still produce magic with the bat as we have seen recently against a high quality attack. Itís important to have plenty of youth in a team but itís fine to have 1 of 2 players who have a bit of experience, they add great value in the dressing room and can produce the goods at times as well. He isnít the most gifted and has struggled in LOIís especially but never forget his fighting knock in the Champions Trophy final which took pressure off at the top of the order. If he were no good we wouldnít pay him to come over here time and time again, he has been a great sport in the county championship and in the shorter formats. Top lad.
    Care to point out his fighting spirit in South Africa 2018? Or the UAE debacle against NZ?

    He displays magnificent fighting spirit when he is in the last chance saloon like the 3rd test vs England 2020. Heís a real fighter when it comes to saving his career. Unfortunately we rarely see it when it comes to saving the team

  30. #30
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    7,963
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd rather the team have success than wallow in individual records and milestones.

    Azhar is only playing for himself.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    97,925
    Mentioned
    8077 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakEngFan View Post
    And he still a a rich man Pujara.
    It is the other way around. Pujara scored three hundreds in Australia to become part of the first Asian team to win in Australia.

    That towers over anything that Azhar has achieved in his career.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Oct 2018
    Runs
    323
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    It is the other way around. Pujara scored three hundreds in Australia to become part of the first Asian team to win in Australia.

    That towers over anything that Azhar has achieved in his career.
    Pujara is ten times the player azhar ali will ever be. Azhar needs to retire asap.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Apr 2021
    Runs
    1,301
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    It is the other way around. Pujara scored three hundreds in Australia to become part of the first Asian team to win in Australia.

    That towers over anything that Azhar has achieved in his career.
    So based on 1 series. Azhar has much better away record then pujara. How can someone take you seriously after saying Ashwin is better then Imran lol. I rest my case.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    32,351
    Mentioned
    4902 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    It is the other way around. Pujara scored three hundreds in Australia to become part of the first Asian team to win in Australia.

    That towers over anything that Azhar has achieved in his career.
    Azhar would have done even better in the same spot as Pujara, cricket is a team sport, itís not Boxing is it

  35. #35
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Parts Unknown
    Runs
    8,403
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    POTW @MenInG

    So many cowards posting in this thread, the sort who collapse and give up like a pack of cards when the going gets tough but Azhar is a fighting man. Younis Khan wasn’t the most gifted or eye pleasing to watch either especially at the start of his innings but I see similar qualities in Azhar when it comes to his fighting spirit and never say die attitude. He’s not what he was and it takes him a few innings to get his eye in now but he can still produce magic with the bat as we have seen recently against a high quality attack. It’s important to have plenty of youth in a team but it’s fine to have 1 of 2 players who have a bit of experience, they add great value in the dressing room and can produce the goods at times as well. He isn’t the most gifted and has struggled in LOI’s especially but never forget his fighting knock in the Champions Trophy final which took pressure off at the top of the order. If he were no good we wouldn’t pay him to come over here time and time again, he has been a great sport in the county championship and in the shorter formats. Top lad.
    Appreciate it buddy. But more than anything I just wanted to express my admiration for one of the most underrated Pakistani batsmen ever. And looking at the comments, everything I wrote has pretty much been reaffirmed because nobody here could care less that he has scored the most test runs since the start of 2020 or dominated against Australia more than any batsman in the past decade. Just goes to show how little numbers matter to alot of fans and how greatly they are guided by their personal likes and dislikes.

    Don't get me wrong, I have my personal likes and dislikes too. But I am not biased enough to completely ignore a player's performance even if I don't like him.

    And couldn't agree more with everything you said. I was a big fan of Younis for similar reasons eventhough I think he was a far more dynamic player than Azhar.

  36. #36
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Parts Unknown
    Runs
    8,403
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    It is the other way around. Pujara scored three hundreds in Australia to become part of the first Asian team to win in Australia.

    That towers over anything that Azhar has achieved in his career.
    Both are comparable numbers-wise. They average roughly the same with about the same number of test caps. Even their averages in SENA are the same.

    But while Pujara had had the comfort of playing in a steady batting line-up for almost his entire career and dominating on home pitches (he has scored more than half of his runs at home) the same has not always been the case for Azhar Ali.

    And while Pujara had that one great series in Australia, Azhar too has done very well in Australia as well and boasts a far higher average there than Pujara.

    Furthermore, he has done significantly better than Pujara in England, West Indies, New Zealand.

    Pujara's performances in Australia during that series were undoubtedly towering, but he also had a bowling attack and a batting line-up that supported him and made his contribution matter. When Azhar hit a double ton in Australia, the bowling attack went on and conceded 600 before the batting unraveled like a pack of cards in one day.

    So the fact that Azhar has comparable stats to Pujara despite playing for Pakistan makes him a better player than Pujara.
    Last edited by RedwoodOriginal; 6th March 2022 at 23:24.

  37. #37
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    43,708
    Mentioned
    535 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Azhar Ali has always batted like this. The onus is on others to make the most of the platform he sets and play their natural games.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Parts Unknown
    Runs
    8,403
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Pakistan is the least talented and skilled cricket nation ever, and that is especially true for our batsmen.

    Azhar is a very good player for our poor standards, but he isnít a top player. Hasnít shaped enough wins against the big teams.

    His runs usually donít come quickly enough to put Pakistan in a commanding position. It is incredible how he looks scratchy and unsettled even after batting for hours. He is always in survival mode and can never dominate.

    The worst moment of his career was against New Zealand in Dubai. Pakistan needed 10 runs with 1 wicket in hand and his strategy was to take 10 singles.

    He didnít have the cojones to back himself and hit a couple of boundaries. In the end, he got out himself by playing defensive shots.

    A batsman who is always in survival mode can never be considered a top player. His presence at the crease is never a threat for the opposition.
    An utterly laughable statement considering Dean Elgar the best test opener in the world in the epitome of a survival mode player and looks uglier at the crease than any No.11 tail-ender.

    But if you start unpacking his numbers you will find out that he is essentially the greatest opener of his generation who has scored more tough runs than pretty much any opener in recent memory.

    How you look while batting matters only to viewers such as yourself who place a high credence on aesthetics. It means absolutely nothing if you are scoring runs.

    Also, I would argue that being a limited player and still finding a way to be successful as guys like Elgar, Azhar and Pujara have through their careers is far more impressive than being gifted and still not dominating enough. Because the simple fact is that there are only a handful of players in world cricket that "dominate" on a regular basis. Most struggle to be successful for sustained periods and fizzle out even if they start well.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    2,822
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    Appreciate it buddy. But more than anything I just wanted to express my admiration for one of the most underrated Pakistani batsmen ever. And looking at the comments, everything I wrote has pretty much been reaffirmed because nobody here could care less that he has scored the most test runs since the start of 2020 or dominated against Australia more than any batsman in the past decade. Just goes to show how little numbers matter to alot of fans and how greatly they are guided by their personal likes and dislikes.

    Don't get me wrong, I have my personal likes and dislikes too. But I am not biased enough to completely ignore a player's performance even if I don't like him.

    And couldn't agree more with everything you said. I was a big fan of Younis for similar reasons eventhough I think he was a far more dynamic player than Azhar.
    No mention of his record in SENA average of 24 since Younis retired Pakistan lost all matches there but after a hundred on the flattest pitch in Pakistan we can forget all losses thatís the mentality of fans.

  40. #40
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Parts Unknown
    Runs
    8,403
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cric1234 View Post
    No mention of his record in SENA average of 24 since Younis retired Pakistan lost all matches there but after a hundred on the flattest pitch in Pakistan we can forget all losses thatís the mentality of fans.
    Had you actually bothered to read my post instead of making the same comments you have made on every other thread about Azhar Ali, you would have known that I already mentioned his dismal 2018 and 2019 and how most people (myself included) thought his career was over after that.

    But the fact that he came back from that slump tells you alot about his character. He has more test runs than anyone in the world since January 1 2020 so its a little more than "a hundred on the flattest pitch" as you are saying.

  41. #41
    Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    1,239
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with almost everything the OP said except that I don't believe his is that limited a player. His straight drives, cut shots and some of pull shots he played during the Aus were as good as any one else. As were some of his square drives and cover drives in England. On the slower pitches I think he has to nudge and nurdle a bit more because of how slow the pitches and outfield often are but soon after his debut, he started playing more scoop/sweep type shots to help with this.

    Looking at the response of some fans in this thread really baffles me and I don't think Pak fans deserve someone like Azhar. Arguably he had the most difficult introduction to Test cricket any cricketer has had in recent times - in his first tour alone, the captaincy changed 3 times, the team was embroiled in the spot fixing scandal and the pitches were definitely some of the most bowling friendly pitches England had ever prepared. He played two match winning knocks in the first tour, a 50 vs Aus that was Pak's first win against Aus in yonks and a 92* against Eng where he was left stranded when the disgraced fixer (whom some still swoon over to this day) decided to play a daft shot and throw his wicket away. If anyone has footage of that game or a memory long enough to remember, you'll recall Azhar consoling sheepish looking Asif on not feeling bad about his missed century - and some people have the nerve to call him a selfish player. Unbelievable.

    Azhar's career is dotted with knocks like these - the following year his batting helped Pak beat England 3-0 in the UAE, he also helped Pak chase 302 against SL in Sharjah. He average's 50 or 60 in wins for Pak.

    And he's kept his head down and just go on with things no matter what happened around him - no controversial interviews, no accusations, no oath-keeping episodes - he's been an ambassador not just for Pakistan cricket but Pakistan overall.
    Last edited by Saj; 7th March 2022 at 00:50.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    2,822
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    Had you actually bothered to read my post instead of making the same comments you have made on every other thread about Azhar Ali, you would have known that I already mentioned his dismal 2018 and 2019 and how most people (myself included) thought his career was over after that.

    But the fact that he came back from that slump tells you alot about his character. He has more test runs than anyone in the world since January 1 2020 so its a little more than "a hundred on the flattest pitch" as you are saying.
    You did say that but those losses can not be easily forgotten thatís why Pakistan continuous to be a low ranked team changes had to happen earlier which was to drop the older batsmen to look for younger ones to help win matches in SENA.

    By prolonging Azhars career despite his improved form best series against Zimbabwe recently failed outside Asia again against Windies thereís no building for future tours young batsmen kept out again same cycle repeated and inevitable losses again in SENA.

    At home like Iíve said different batsmen who are good enough can do a job itís much better to plan for the future then just prolong careers as itís proven forget winning we will lose every match against the best teams outside Asia.

    Why canít an attempt to rectify these mistakes be made itís not hard you have to try and plan for the future whilst your playing at home in easier conditions for the batsmen.

  43. #43
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    26,618
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    He has the same mentality as Misbah, his legacy is defined by his ability to play sedately and retain his place in the side even if it's a World Cup semi-final.

    The innings he played is nothing worthy of mention when you consider the rate at which Australia have scored their runs so far:

    Australia have scored on 271 off 71 overs. In contrast Pakistan scored 245 off 90 overs after batting for the whole day on day 1.


    I am not defending Azhar, many a times even I think he becomes overtly defensive for no reason.

    But, if you take a look at the relative strength, experience, and maturity of Aussie Batting vs ours, then compared the same things for Aussie bowling vs ours...you will be sort of ashamed of even trying to make this comparison.

  44. #44
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    7,980
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YousafTheBeast View Post
    POTW

    Azhar Ali is arguably the greatest test batsmen to represent Pakistan.

    Had it not been for his 141* in 2020, his average would have fallen to 20. Stuff of legends.

    Had it not been for his 126 vs Zimbabwe, his average in 2021 would’ve dropped down to 35.

    Azhar Ali is about to achieve what no other Pakistani batsman has, 100 test caps whilst averaging a might 42 odd.

    Hail Hail mighty Azhar.
    It will be a shame if such a mediocre players joins the elite club of 100 tests ,

  45. #45
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    8,637
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsee View Post
    I am not defending Azhar, many a times even I think he becomes overtly defensive for no reason.

    But, if you take a look at the relative strength, experience, and maturity of Aussie Batting vs ours, then compared the same things for Aussie bowling vs ours...you will be sort of ashamed of even trying to make this comparison.
    Not really because you're not accounting for the fact that they're weaker in Asian conditions.

    If the test match was played outside Asia, then I'd agree with you.

  46. #46
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    7,980
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No stats or long post will convince me Azhar Ali deserved that long a career with Pakistan cricket. He has payed 91 tests already but I don't recall too many of his match winning or match saving innings . Plays for himself to keep his average from sinking or to keep his place in the team.

  47. #47
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Parts Unknown
    Runs
    8,403
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cric1234 View Post
    You did say that but those losses can not be easily forgotten that’s why Pakistan continuous to be a low ranked team changes had to happen earlier which was to drop the older batsmen to look for younger ones to help win matches in SENA.

    By prolonging Azhars career despite his improved form best series against Zimbabwe recently failed outside Asia again against Windies there’s no building for future tours young batsmen kept out again same cycle repeated and inevitable losses again in SENA.

    At home like I’ve said different batsmen who are good enough can do a job it’s much better to plan for the future then just prolong careers as it’s proven forget winning we will lose every match against the best teams outside Asia.

    Why can’t an attempt to rectify these mistakes be made it’s not hard you have to try and plan for the future whilst your playing at home in easier conditions for the batsmen.
    Not a single thing you have said above can be backed by evidence. Its just your opinion and it means absolutely nothing if you don't have facts and evidence to back it up.

    I'll just keep repeating the same fact since we are living in the present and not 2019. Which is that since January 2020 NO CRICKETER IN THE WORLD has scored more runs than Azhar Ali. He has scored 150 runs more than the next Pakistani. And only Fawad Alam has a better average than him in this time period.

    That means that not only has he been Pakistan's most prolific run-scorer in the last two years but also one of Pakistan's best batsmen. That right there completely discredits your argument that he should be replaced. And anything you say to dispute that is either a deluded and unfounded opinion or an argument completely devoid of logic.
    Last edited by RedwoodOriginal; 7th March 2022 at 03:20.

  48. #48
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Parts Unknown
    Runs
    8,403
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moghul View Post
    No stats or long post will convince me Azhar Ali deserved that long a career with Pakistan cricket. He has payed 91 tests already but I don't recall too many of his match winning or match saving innings . Plays for himself to keep his average from sinking or to keep his place in the team.
    Your first line pretty much sums up/reaffirms everything I said in my post.

    The fact that someone can completely ignore stats and numbers based on actual performances while judging a player tells me all I need to know about their cricketing acumen. You should have stopped writing after that first line.

  49. #49
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Parts Unknown
    Runs
    8,403
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wristy_Shuffler View Post
    I agree with almost everything the OP said except that I don't believe his is that limited a player. His straight drives, cut shots and some of pull shots he played during the Aus were as good as any one else. As were some of his square drives and cover drives in England. On the slower pitches I think he has to nudge and nurdle a bit more because of how slow the pitches and outfield often are but soon after his debut, he started playing more scoop/sweep type shots to help with this.

    Looking at the response of some fans in this thread really baffles me and I don't think Pak fans deserve someone like Azhar. Arguably he had the most difficult introduction to Test cricket any cricketer has had in recent times - in his first tour alone, the captaincy changed 3 times, the team was embroiled in the spot fixing scandal and the pitches were definitely some of the most bowling friendly pitches England had ever prepared. He played two match winning knocks in the first tour, a 50 vs Aus that was Pak's first win against Aus in yonks and a 92* against Eng where he was left stranded when the disgraced fixer (whom some still swoon over to this day) decided to play a daft shot and throw his wicket away. If anyone has footage of that game or a memory long enough to remember, you'll recall Azhar consoling sheepish looking Asif on not feeling bad about his missed century - and some people have the nerve to call him a selfish player. Unbelievable.

    Azhar's career is dotted with knocks like these - the following year his batting helped Pak beat England 3-0 in the UAE, he also helped Pak chase 302 against SL in Sharjah. He average's 50 or 60 in wins for Pak.

    And he's kept his head down and just go on with things no matter what happened around him - no controversial interviews, no accusations, no oath-keeping episodes - he's been an ambassador not just for Pakistan cricket but Pakistan overall.
    Thank you for this thoughtful post. Glad to see someone else appreciates Azhar Ali as much as I do.

    My point about him being limited was more from a comparative point of view rather than anything else. I should have clarified that's on me. My point was that he can't bat with the kind of fluency that a Kohli, a Babar or a Williamson can bat with. He can't play some of the gorgeous and eye-catching shots that those guys can play. But ofcourse that doesn't mean that he can't play exquisite cuts and strokes himself or sweep like a boss (which he does).

    Re: the point about being selfish. I can't recall reading a single person on here say that Azhar Ali played some pretty unselfish cricket by not trying to play for his double century the other day, instead choosing to up the run-rate. Instead they have the call to call him selfish.

    Your last para in a way sums up for me why Pakistani fans don't care about Azhar Ali. Because Pakistani fans are attracted to cricketers with larger than life personalities or cricketers who play the game in an exciting and eye-catching way. Azhar is not that. He's also not a fool and a characterless cheat like so many other popular Pakistani cricketers.

    And honestly, if that's what you have to be to be disliked or not cared about by Pakistani fans, than good for him. You're 100% right, Pakistan do not deserve a cricketer like Azhar Ali.
    Last edited by RedwoodOriginal; 7th March 2022 at 03:50.

  50. #50
    Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    2,822
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    Not a single thing you have said above can be backed by evidence. Its just your opinion and it means absolutely nothing if you don't have facts and evidence to back it up.

    I'll just keep repeating the same fact since we are living in the present and not 2019. Which is that since January 2020 NO CRICKETER IN THE WORLD has scored more runs than Azhar Ali. He has scored 150 runs more than the next Pakistani. And only Fawad Alam has a better average than him in this time period.

    That means that not only has he been Pakistan's most prolific run-scorer in the last two years but also one of Pakistan's best batsmen. That right there completely discredits your argument that he should be replaced. And anything you say to dispute that is either a deluded and unfounded opinion or an argument completely devoid of logic.
    Are you sure as heís nowhere near Joe Root on last years list.

    https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...2021;type=year

    Itís a waste of time trying to explain why a change is needed as youíve yet again ignored his performances in SENA where weíve lost all matches and having a even older Azhar there wonít help us next time.

    Throwing a young batsman in the deep end outside Asia isnít good but this is Pakistan cricket selectors and some fans have the same line of thinking and we are stuck as a low ranked teams for decades.

  51. #51
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    26,618
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    Not really because you're not accounting for the fact that they're weaker in Asian conditions.

    If the test match was played outside Asia, then I'd agree with you.


    Only if the pitch was turning square, then what you are implying might be true...but on a flat road like this, no, not at all. Gone are the days when visiting teams had no way but play side matches to acclimtize, now they can simulate playing conditions at home plus hire ex-players with local knowledge (Fawad the leg spinner in this case).

    Plus, if you look at their current team, you can literally count 6-7 players that are pretty much guaranteed to be remembered as a legend/great/exceptionally good player when history looks at them.

    Compare that to ours and only 3 can even make a claim like that and even then it will take them 2-5 years at least to get there.

  52. #52
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    5,753
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Batting in South Africa has been his big bane.

    He is not really the guy who will win you games singlehandedly like Younis/Inzi/moyo but he's been one of the better we have had in the last 12 years. Maybe Fawad would have been better had he been given a chance.

    But what is worrying is his the trend of his scores since 2019. When he debuted, he used to be a very consistent batter. Would always score 30-40-50 and would rarely get out cheaply. He had scored something like 10-12 fifties before scoring a solitary century. Then came his purple patch of 2016-2017, when he was able to hit hundreds after hundreds like he used to hit fifties. But after then, he has been rather a shadow of his previous self.

    He may still be scoring runs but not it's a 70-80-100 or single digit scores. He is still maintaining his 42 average but not doing it well. I would take the fifty+ scoring consistent batter from 2010-2015 rather than the guy who gets out cheaply 3 or 4 times and then makes a good score. It may be a sign of age catching up on him and his reflexes getting slower.

    But he's been a good servant of Pak test team.

  53. #53
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    7,980
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahid1234 View Post
    Pujara is ten times the player azhar ali will ever be. Azhar needs to retire asap.
    Yes, and when Pujara lost his form , he was dropped and sent to play Ranjhi trophy , but we need a constitutional amendment to drop players like Azhar and Misbah.

  54. #54
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    7,980
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Azhar Ali is the perfect example of the modern pakistani test cricketer.

    Place in the team over anything else. Personal milestones over substance. He bats every innings as if he’s in a crisis. Whether he walks in at 100-1 or 0-1, he’ll play with the same trepidation. The reason why? It’s always a crisis for him as all he’s interested in is not getting dropped.

    And lo and behold, when there are real crises, he conveniently gets out very easily. He’s the king of the nothing innings. Whether it’s 0 or 100, it never lead to anything.
    Players always cautious of their place in the team, but in the past a player,s contribution to overall team performance would decide his place in the team. It was Misbah who started this new trend, personal benefit comes ahead of team . This was his goal from the moment he joined the team , including his Mohali inning. Younis Khan in his later years did the same and Azhar for many years has been following the same trend .For me Misbah was for Pakistan cricket what Gen Zia was for Pakistan , the damage they caused to Pakistan cricket and to Pakistan respectively, will take a very long time to recover.

  55. #55
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    7,980
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    Your first line pretty much sums up/reaffirms everything I said in my post.

    The fact that someone can completely ignore stats and numbers based on actual performances while judging a player tells me all I need to know about their cricketing acumen. You should have stopped writing after that first line.
    Took me couple of days but I read your post completely . We have our difference of opinion regarding Azhar and I'm sure will differ again in many other cricket related discussions here but I really appreciate your very good post , filled with some stats and facts which shows you have very good knowledge of the game, can't say same for every single poster here. Posters like you make this forum a very interesting place to talk about cricket in general and Pakistan cricket in particular.

  56. #56
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Parts Unknown
    Runs
    8,403
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moghul View Post
    Took me couple of days but I read your post completely . We have our difference of opinion regarding Azhar and I'm sure will differ again in many other cricket related discussions here but I really appreciate your very good post , filled with some stats and facts which shows you have very good knowledge of the game, can't say same for every single poster here. Posters like you make this forum a very interesting place to talk about cricket in general and Pakistan cricket in particular.
    Appreciate the kind words greatly. I'm sure we will have more cricket-related discussions in the future, even if we disagree.

    And I'm sorry for the personal attack. It was totally uncalled for and in bad taste.

  57. #57
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    631
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakEngFan View Post
    And he still a a rich man Pujara.
    They used to have similar numbers up till mid-2010s but then Azhar progressed and Pujara declined to the point that now Azhar completely dwarves Pujara in 4/5 SENAW venues. Overall better batsmen. I will post deep filtered stats.

  58. #58
    Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    110,538
    Mentioned
    694 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Pakistan is the least talented and skilled cricket nation ever, and that is especially true for our batsmen.

    Azhar is a very good player for our poor standards, but he isnít a top player. Hasnít shaped enough wins against the big teams.

    His runs usually donít come quickly enough to put Pakistan in a commanding position. It is incredible how he looks scratchy and unsettled even after batting for hours. He is always in survival mode and can never dominate.

    The worst moment of his career was against New Zealand in Dubai. Pakistan needed 10 runs with 1 wicket in hand and his strategy was to take 10 singles.

    He didnít have the cojones to back himself and hit a couple of boundaries. In the end, he got out himself by playing defensive shots.

    A batsman who is always in survival mode can never be considered a top player. His presence at the crease is never a threat for the opposition.
    Apart from the 1st sentence, for once uve hit the nail on the head. People forget his pathetic batting vs NZ in UAE cost us a series defeat.

  59. #59
    Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    110,538
    Mentioned
    694 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    pakistan fans use to dislike that fact that moyo (1st half of his career) and Asad shafiq would always have a poor series with the bat and then just play 1 good inns to save their place. Azhar was abysmal in 2018 and 19. in 2020 and 2021, most series are littered with 1 good knock followed a non performance.

    Pakistan in this test cycle had 10 tests including this one in asia conditions, perfect time to blood a new number 3, yet instead they will just let senior batsmen carry on, with no thought of long term building in test side.

  60. #60
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    32,351
    Mentioned
    4902 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amjid Javed View Post
    pakistan fans use to dislike that fact that moyo (1st half of his career) and Asad shafiq would always have a poor series with the bat and then just play 1 good inns to save their place. Azhar was abysmal in 2018 and 19. in 2020 and 2021, most series are littered with 1 good knock followed a non performance.

    Pakistan in this test cycle had 10 tests including this one in asia conditions, perfect time to blood a new number 3, yet instead they will just let senior batsmen carry on, with no thought of long term building in test side.
    Are you really comparing Shafiq with Azhar, I think old age is getting to you Uncle Amjid lol

    Bum Shafiq did the 1 knock per series in dead games during his prime years!

  61. #61
    Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    110,538
    Mentioned
    694 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Are you really comparing Shafiq with Azhar, I think old age is getting to you Uncle Amjid lol

    Bum Shafiq did the 1 knock per series in dead games during his prime years!
    Azhar has produced 1 good knock per series in 2020 and 2021, read what i wrote. im not talking about Azhars entire career, im talking about recently.

    Also im 40 now so still young

  62. #62
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    32,351
    Mentioned
    4902 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amjid Javed View Post
    Azhar has produced 1 good knock per series in 2020 and 2021, read what i wrote. im not talking about Azhars entire career, im talking about recently.

    Also im 40 now so still young
    I know what you said but my issue is you mentioned Shafiq who was doing this in his peak years! Azhar Ali might be doing a bit of it now but he is past his prime, he still has fight though and more likely to score big in tough situations due to his grit

    Haha add another zero to that number youíve been around forever you should post more in the Boxing thread like you use to

  63. #63
    Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    110,538
    Mentioned
    694 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    I know what you said but my issue is you mentioned Shafiq who was doing this in his peak years! Azhar Ali might be doing a bit of it now but he is past his prime, he still has fight though and more likely to score big in tough situations due to his grit

    Haha add another zero to that number youíve been around forever you should post more in the Boxing thread like you use to
    We have been on PP since 2004 a very longtime. Seen plenty of the good, bad and ugly of pakistan cricket.

  64. #64
    Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    5,981
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azhar has played well here. To those complaining of a slow strike, please refer to Steven Smith's inning for some context

  65. #65
    Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    5,981
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moghul View Post
    Players always cautious of their place in the team, but in the past a player,s contribution to overall team performance would decide his place in the team. It was Misbah who started this new trend, personal benefit comes ahead of team . This was his goal from the moment he joined the team , including his Mohali inning. Younis Khan in his later years did the same and Azhar for many years has been following the same trend .For me Misbah was for Pakistan cricket what Gen Zia was for Pakistan , the damage they caused to Pakistan cricket and to Pakistan respectively, will take a very long time to recover.
    Well Misbah did take us to number 1 in tests so whatever he was doing was working. Kudos to those cricketers who don't take their spots for granted and continue to work hard.

  66. #66
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    16,714
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azhar Ali 19 hundreds 92 matches 42.08
    Laxman 17 hundreds 134 matches 45.97
    Ganguly 16 hundreds 113 games 42.18

  67. #67
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    3,801
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If Azhar Ali is a ďlegendĒ, what does that make Yousuf, Younis, Miandad and Inzamam?

    The word gets thrown around way too easily nowadays.

  68. #68
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    16,714
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YousafTheBeast View Post
    If Azhar Ali is a “legend”, what does that make Yousuf, Younis, Miandad and Inzamam?

    The word gets thrown around way too easily nowadays.
    So you can't have more than 1 legend for your country ?

  69. #69
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    3,801
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    So you can't have more than 1 legend for your country ?
    I mentioned 4 Legends, so where did you come up with ďyou canít have more than 1 legendĒ.

    Is Azhar Ali on the same level as the 4 I mentioned above, NO.

    Azhar Ali is in the same level as the likes of Asad Shafiq, Shan Masood, Abid Ali etc. not a legend. Never will be. End of.

  70. #70
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    16,714
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YousafTheBeast View Post
    I mentioned 4 Legends, so where did you come up with “you can’t have more than 1 legend”.

    Is Azhar Ali on the same level as the 4 I mentioned above, NO.

    Azhar Ali is in the same level as the likes of Asad Shafiq, Shan Masood, Abid Ali etc. not a legend. Never will be. End of.
    Did I say he's on the same level as the the names you mentioned ?

    You obviously no nothing if you think Azhar Ali is on the same level as Asad Shafique and the rest you mentioned

  71. #71
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    1,583
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stats and accolades on a whole are not even close to telling the entire picture with Azhar.

    Way too slow - even for the the test game who only played for hundreds.

    He was okay when there was no pressure of being a captain or vice captain and pressure that you are the most important player when YK and MUH were there, but the moment they left, and heís been in a tailspin.

    One century against Australia after a couple years of mediocrity and itís letís revisit this great Pakistani career - some even claiming he was our best test batsmen.

    He was at best a good third batsmen who cared little about the team and itís success - and more about having team records.

    The amount of days that end sub 200 runs for an innings because of Azhar? Where do I begin. I had some hope he could continue his solid play but the mental fortitude lacking the second the pressure of leadership and being the ďmanĒ came on and he looked not even club level caliber.

    Doesnít hold a candle to Inzi, MoYo, YK, MUH, Miandat, Zaheer Abbas, Anwar.

    The game has changed so his 43 average is not that impressive especially considering he was once near 50.

    Decent player who had a purple patch but no one to claim all time status on.

    His 302 was a highlight sure and was when I myself thought he had potential to be atop the Pakistani mountain but a few outstanding performance canít overshadow a career.

  72. #72
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    197,676
    Mentioned
    3024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Azhar Ali who struck 185 vs Australia in 1st Test has moved up ten places to 12 in latest ICC Rankings for Test Batters


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  73. #73
    Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    17,972
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Bluestone View Post
    Stats and accolades on a whole are not even close to telling the entire picture with Azhar.

    Way too slow - even for the the test game who only played for hundreds.

    He was okay when there was no pressure of being a captain or vice captain and pressure that you are the most important player when YK and MUH were there, but the moment they left, and heís been in a tailspin.

    One century against Australia after a couple years of mediocrity and itís letís revisit this great Pakistani career - some even claiming he was our best test batsmen.

    He was at best a good third batsmen who cared little about the team and itís success - and more about having team records.

    The amount of days that end sub 200 runs for an innings because of Azhar? Where do I begin. I had some hope he could continue his solid play but the mental fortitude lacking the second the pressure of leadership and being the ďmanĒ came on and he looked not even club level caliber.

    Doesnít hold a candle to Inzi, MoYo, YK, MUH, Miandat, Zaheer Abbas, Anwar.

    The game has changed so his 43 average is not that impressive especially considering he was once near 50.

    Decent player who had a purple patch but no one to claim all time status on.

    His 302 was a highlight sure and was when I myself thought he had potential to be atop the Pakistani mountain but a few outstanding performance canít overshadow a career.
    No one has said hes as good as the likes of miandad, younis inzy and co but you dont have to an atg to deserve respect and admiration

    Hes been generally a solid bat for pakistan for over a decade without controversy or shenanigans

    He ll probably finish with 100 tests and 20 test hundreds which is a pretty good effort for someone with his talent

    Hes probably in the top 15 bats ever for pakistan, that deserves respect

  74. #74
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    16,714
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    No one has said hes as good as the likes of miandad, younis inzy and co but you dont have to an atg to deserve respect and admiration

    Hes been generally a solid bat for pakistan for over a decade without controversy or shenanigans

    He ll probably finish with 100 tests and 20 test hundreds which is a pretty good effort for someone with his talent

    Hes probably in the top 15 bats ever for pakistan, that deserves respect
    Exactly I don't know why people keep mentioning and comparing him to players who where clear cut stand outs for Pakistan.

  75. #75
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    1,583
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When people say ďstrike rate obsessed Afridi fansĒ I have a good laugh.

    There is test which is paced slow mans game and there is Azhar.

  76. #76
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    1,583
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    No one has said hes as good as the likes of miandad, younis inzy and co but you dont have to an atg to deserve respect and admiration

    Hes been generally a solid bat for pakistan for over a decade without controversy or shenanigans

    He ll probably finish with 100 tests and 20 test hundreds which is a pretty good effort for someone with his talent

    Hes probably in the top 15 bats ever for pakistan, that deserves respect
    Maybe. I think we’re all a bit hype because of this century but I won’t forget how he fell off the map post Misbah and YK.

    He was just a good third bad who couldn’t handle any leadership and of course had a all time low SR. No one is saying hit a run a ball, but 60 Sr is usually any good player.

  77. #77
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    631
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistanis are the types of cricket fans who would cry to have Asif Ali in tests in place of third best Asian batsmen in two decades I.e. Azhar Ali because Azhar scores 50s and 100s at strike rate of 45 but Asif Ali scores his 12s and 15s at strike rate of 100. We deserve nothing literally.

  78. #78
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    631
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post



    Hes probably in the top 15 bats ever for pakistan, that deserves respect
    Younis
    Javed
    Yousuf
    Inz
    Hanif
    Zaheer
    Misbah
    Azhar
    Saeed
    Majid
    Shoaib Muhammad

    Am I missing anyone ?

  79. #79
    Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Texas, USA
    Runs
    2,731
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pindi pitch has done a real damage to Pak team. Azhar and Imam have cemented their place for next 5 tests and they will fail against quality pace bowling. Shan Masood and Abid Ali needs to be regular in the team ahead of these two.

  80. #80
    Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    110,538
    Mentioned
    694 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MesonK View Post
    Pakistanis are the types of cricket fans who would cry to have Asif Ali in tests in place of third best Asian batsmen in two decades I.e. Azhar Ali because Azhar scores 50s and 100s at strike rate of 45 but Asif Ali scores his 12s and 15s at strike rate of 100. We deserve nothing literally.
    no one here has asked for Asif Ali to be in the test team, what a stupid example you have given.

    Fans who dont want Azhar in the team are those who have seen him fail pathetically over last 5 years since misbah and younis retired. Scoring 1 decent knock a series in last 2 years and failing in rest of inns is not what should be expected from a so called senior batsmen or any batsmen in the side.

    Also whether its 0/1 or 100/1 or 200/0 he still comes out and blocks everything.

    1) that kills the momentum of the team inns

    2) Batsmen at other end gets bogged down because Azhar is sucking the life out of the inns and not rotating the strike

    3) Just blocking allows bowlers to settle into rythme knowing any bad balls will just be dead batted back down the pitch.

    2nd time in the 1st test of a series pakistans batting has got off to a flyer.

    2018 - Pakistan 206/0 after 60 overs and Azhar then comes in and blocks and gets 20 odd off 80 balls at a pathetic strike rate of just above 20.

    Then this test 105/0 after 30+ overs and again comes in and blocks.

    No one is asking him to smack a 6 every ball, but just blocking 6 balls an over when your in control with the bat is gutless, pathetic, selfish to say the least.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •