Brendon McCullum appointed England Men's Test Head Coach — brings “BazBall” along with him!

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Brendon McCullum appointed England Men's Test Head Coach — brings “BazBall” along with him!

Brendon McCullum appointed England Men's Test Head Coach

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announced today that it has appointed Brendon McCullum as England Men's Test Head Coach.

McCullum, 40, will be in place to start his role for next month's LV= Insurance three-match Test series against New Zealand, which gets underway at Lord's from 2 June, subject to obtaining the necessary work visa.

The ECB's selection panel of Chief Executive Officer Tom Harrison, Managing Director of England's Men's Cricket Rob Key, Strategic Adviser Andrew Strauss and Performance Director Mo Bobat unanimously agreed that he was the outstanding candidate for the role, having impressed during the competitive interview process.

New Zealand born McCullum currently works as Head Coach of Indian Premier League franchise Kolkata Knight Riders and previously coached Trinbago Knight Riders to the 2020 Caribbean Premier League title. He also had an exemplary playing career that saw him earn 101 Test caps and was Test captain of the Black Caps from 2012 to his international retirement in 2016.

Commenting on the appointment of McCullum, Rob Key, said:

"We are delighted to confirm Brendon as England Men's Test Head Coach. It has been a real privilege to get to know him and understand his views and vision for the game. I believe his appointment will be good for England's Test team.

"He has a recent history of changing cricket culture and environments for the better, and I believe he is the person to do that for England's red-ball cricket.

"We were incredibly fortunate to have a seriously strong list of quality candidates for the post, with Brendon demonstrating he was our number one choice.

"I'd like to thank Tom Harrison and the ECB Board for their support in this process.

"I believe in Brendon and Ben Stokes - a formidable coach and captain partnership. Time for us all to buckle up and get ready for the ride."

Speaking about his appointment, McCullum, added:

"I'd like to say how pleased I am to be given this opportunity to positively contribute to England's Test cricket set-up and move the team forward into a more successful era.

"In taking this role on, I am acutely aware of the significant challenges the team faces at present, and I strongly believe in my ability to help the team emerge as a stronger force once we've confronted them head-on.

"I've enjoyed several robust conversations with Rob Key about the direction of travel for the team and have found his enthusiasm contagious. I'm no stranger to bringing about change within a team environment, and I can't wait to get started.

"Ben Stokes is the perfect character to inspire change around him, and I look forward to working closely with him to build a successful unit around us."

McCullum is due to arrive in the UK later this month. The Knight Riders have two matches left in their IPL group campaign on Saturday against Sunrisers Hyderabad and complete their season on Wednesday 18 May against Lucknow Super Giants.
    Last edited by James; 5th July 2022 at 20:37.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    As background, McCullum has signed a four-year agreement.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stokes-McCullum, two strong personalities. Yet somehow I feel they are/will be on the same wavelength. I think this could go two ways and pretty quickly. Either they become good buddies or their egos clash. I am leaning towards the former.

I think McCullum has the ability to do things out of the box. Which could be beneficial for Eng. Though have to say that it has not helped KKR in any big way.

Speaking of KKR, is he going to split his time between KKR and the Eng. job?

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7797 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    A decision that only ECB can explain and justify, not sure what was the thought process behind this left-field move.

- He was one of the most aggressive cricketers of his era and transformed New Zealand cricket with his expansive approach. Why is he not fit to be the England LOI coach as well?

- England’s struggles in Test cricket have been put down to the lack of discipline in their batting approach - except Root and Stokes, no batsman seems to have the concentration to play long innings.

How is McCullum going to rectify that? As a batsman, he was the total opposite of what the England Test side needs right now and he has no tangible coaching experience at FC level.

This seems to be a disastrous that could go south very quickly.

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He would have been ideal as a test coach for a tuk tuk team like Pakistan.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    It won't be boring that's for sure.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Faisalabad.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    A decision that only ECB can explain and justify, not sure what was the thought process behind this left-field move.

- He was one of the most aggressive cricketers of his era and transformed New Zealand cricket with his expansive approach. Why is he not fit to be the England LOI coach as well?

- England’s struggles in Test cricket have been put down to the lack of discipline in their batting approach - except Root and Stokes, no batsman seems to have the concentration to play long innings.

How is McCullum going to rectify that? As a batsman, he was the total opposite of what the England Test side needs right now and he has no tangible coaching experience at FC level.

Totally agree with you on this, this has all the making of disaster waiting to happen, but anyways English team is already at rock bottom in tets performances so will be hard to get any more worse, but logically there seems no logic in these apportionments.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Surprised by this.

I would have thought they would have gone for an experienced coach after England's struggles in Tests recently.

Whilst McCullum was a great player, he's hardly set the world alight with his coaching spells.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Agreed....don't see this ending well for Eng

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quite like this, someone who's captained a test team in a turn around period and generally comes across as being quite knowledgeable about the game with some experience playing for several different counties too. Also good to hear he specifically wanted the challenge of the test team rather than settling for the 'easy' job of limited overs coach.
    Last edited by HitWicket; 12th May 2022 at 22:42.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Brendon McCullum was known for hitting sixes against bouncers with cross bat shots.

England needs this in test cricket. When you can't defend the red ball then you need to attack more.

McCullum will ensure England's batsmen don't lose their white ball form at any point. Master stroke by ECB.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting.
    I’m a fan of this appointment.

Plus remember that England are an unremarkable 6th in the Test rankings and propping up the WTC table, so it’s not like they have anything to lose by taking a bit of a risk.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for Loi

made sense
    as a test headcoach
    huh

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Poor decison.

What England needs is to play each format on its merit i.e. Test Cricket like Test Cricket and the Limited overs format accordingly. Mccullam would have made sense for the White ball squads but not for test cricket.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Poor decison.

What England needs is to play each format on its merit i.e. Test Cricket like Test Cricket and the Limited overs format accordingly. Mccullam would have made sense for the White ball squads but not for test cricket.
    You're assuming his approach as a coach will be to make everyone play in the same mould that he did.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Brendon McCullum a 'bold and inspiring' hire as England men's Test coach, says Michael Atherton as he praises Ben Stokes pairing

Michael Atherton his his say on Brendon McCullum appointment and Ben Stokes link-up; He adds: "I think Rob Key is looking for Brendon to inspire, to lead, for some of his character to rub off on an England dressing room that has had a pretty difficult time of it."

Sky Sports Cricket's Michael Atherton says Brendon McCullum is a "bold and inspiring choice" as England's new men's Test coach, and believes he and Ben Stokes will form a "fearless and aggressive" combination.

McCullum, the former New Zealand captain, was confirmed as Chris Silverwood's successor on Thursday, marking another key hire for England after Rob Key's arrival as managing director and Stokes' appointment as Test captain.

McCullum lacks experience as a red-ball coach - he is currently in charge of the Indian Premier League's Kolkata Knight Riders franchise - but Athers gave his approval of the appointment of the Kiwi legend, 40.

"I think it's a very bold and imaginative choice, and an inspiring choice from Rob Key," Atherton said.

"Giving Ben Stokes the captaincy was the obvious choice and so his first big decision was to give Brendon McCullum the Test job.

"A week or so ago I don't think that was on anybody's radars, so he's not made the obvious choice here, but I think it's a very bold choice."

McCullum has vast experience as an international player and captain but little as a coach, with his post-playing career so far having taken him to the IPL and the Caribbean Premier League.

But Athers added: "I don't think it's a concern. Some other people within the professional coaching environment may think so.

"His limited coaching experience has come in the IPL with the Kolkata Nightriders and in the CPL with their sister team. But he did play 100 Tests, scored a Test match triple hundred and he was very significant in Test cricket in his own right.

"As captain, he really led New Zealand into a brave new era, from the moment he took over - in Cape Town 2013 - the very first innings New Zealand were bowled out for 45. It was a really low ebb and a very difficult transition from Ross Taylor.

"But after that, he led boldly and fearlessly, and transformed that New Zealand team to the point which he laid the foundations for Kane Williamson's team that became World Test Champions, and have been very significant players in ICC events. So as a captain and as a leader, he's got plenty of experience in Test Match cricket."

McCullum joins forces with Stokes to form a pivotal combination in England's bid to revitalise their Test fortunes, and Athers believes the pair will mesh together well.

"He's a nice fit with Stokes, they both approach the game and play the game in a similar manner and they'll look to give very clear message, captain and coach, and show they're singing from the same hymn sheet to a team you now expect to be given a bit of freedom and licence to play.

"Neither Stokes or McCullum are shy characters when it comes to playing the game of cricket, they like to take the game on and play it aggressively.

"One assumes that McCullum as a coach is going to be very similar to McCullum as a player and captain."

Athers also highlighted the two reasons he believes Key opted for McCullum.

"One is the combination of Stokes," he said. "There's a chapter in Rob Key's autobiography where he talks about coaching and he says that the combination between captain and coach is absolutely critical.

"I think he wanted somebody that he feels Stokes could work with. I think Stokes will have a lot of regard and respect for McCullum for what he did in the game, so it's a good combination.

"And secondly, Rob Key will know what McCullum did with the New Zealand team in that 2013 to 2016 period, and will hope that he can inspire England to do the same. We know that McCullum has got experience of transforming a situation and a group of players.

"I don't think you're looking at a guy that's going to be a particularly technical coach. I think Rob is looking for Brendon to inspire, to lead, for some of his character to rub off on an England dressing room that has had a pretty difficult time of it for two years."

Athers continued: "I think there's a sense of optimism on the back of Stokes being made England captain, and that optimism has been given a bit more of a boost with McCullum."

McCullum is set to be in place for the first Test against world champions New Zealand at Lord's on June 2, with England looking to bounce back with their new hires after a dismal winter.

Asked what players England will be looking for, Athers said: "One assumes that the Stokes-McCullum way is going to be on the aggressive side.

"They'll have to decide what kind of players they want to have, we've already heard from Ben to say that he wants James Anderson and Stuart Broad back.

"They've then got 400 first class cricketers to have a look at."

He added: "I think the top order has been England's biggest problem over the last two years. That top order has been particularly vulnerable.

"We know Root is going to go No 4, Stokes is going to go No 6, so the questions are around No 3 and No 5 particularly, if they want to keep the same opening combination that they had in the Caribbean. Zak Crawley's been short of runs at the start of the year, Alex Lees has done alright, though he may not fit the kind of template that they're looking for.

"You only really know Root and Stokes' positions, so there are plenty of options as we come to the fifth and sixth round of the County Championship games, and opportunities for players to impress."

England are expected to make another appointment next week with a new white ball coach.

On that process, Athers admitted Paul Collingwood was the favourite but that England were right to "open up the process and speak to many people as they can".

"There's pretty strong word that Matthew Mott, who has been in charge of the Australian women's team, has been a strong candidate and has interviewed well," said Athers.

"But I think Paul Collingwood is the favourite and I wouldn't be against that choice,

"I think he's highly regarded and knows his stuff, and would form a good relationship with Stokes, Eoin Morgan and Joss Buttler - that senior group."

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/ne...stokes-pairing

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is going to either go brilliantly or terribly. There will be no middle ground here. McCullum and Stokes are both going to encourage the players to be aggressive and fearless. You would think that the key problem they have is a distinct lack of talent in the batting ranks.

However, New Zealand is a tiny country with a tiny population and therefore a limited talent pool. That didn’t stop McCullum from making the NZ players believe in themselves and play to their potential. Maybe he and Stokes can do that for England.

Given McCullum’s almost non-existent coaching experience, it seems to me that England have given up the quest to try and improve players technically. McCullum won’t be able to help fix anyone’s technical flaws because he’s got zilch training or experience in doing so. So the hope is that he will teach the players to go all guns blazing, which puts the opposition under so much pressure that all technical flaws get hidden nicely.

Interesting experiment. Let’s see how it goes!

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    879 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    MacCullum is not a positive but reckless coach. England will suffer even further

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Following his surprise appointment as England Test head coach, Brendon McCullum is facing several crucial decisions that could dictate his success in the highly challenging role.

The former New Zealand captain is taking over a team that has managed just one win in their last 17 Test matches, with 11 losses in that time, and can only point to two guaranteed names on team sheet (fitness permitting) for McCullum's first Test in charge on June 2.

Taking on a Test coaching role for the first time after having worked in franchise cricket since his retirement in 2019, McCullum will need to rely heavily on his playing experience as he navigates his way through a period of major upheaval for English men's game.

The man who has appointed him, Rob Key, only took over as the ECB's managing director of England men's cricket last month, while Ben Stokes was confirmed as Joe Root's replacement as Test skipper just a couple of weeks ago.

McCullum, who appears set to finish up his role as head coach of the Kolkata Knight Riders in the Indian Premier League on May 18, will be expected within a week of that date to name his squad for England's three-match series against New Zealand.

Form a Vaughan-Fletcher like bond with Stokes

A hugely important factor in rebuilding England's red-ball side will be the relationship between head coach and captain.

England's best teams of the 21st century were aided by close partnerships, with Michael Vaughan and Duncan Fletcher combining in the early 2000s, before Andrew Strauss and Andy Flower led a formidable unit at the start of the next decade.

In a 2015 interview, McCullum discussed the importance of the relationship between a captain and coach to a team's success.
    As Stokes is within the England setup, McCullum was a hugely popular figure within the New Zealand dressing room throughout his playing career, and it's hard to imagine the two affable figures struggling to strike up a bond.

McCullum, who broke records in both international and franchise cricket throughout his playing career, can also empathise with Stokes on the challenges the modern cross-format cricketer faces.

Fill the gaps in England's middle order

Stokes has already announced that he will bat at No 6, while he also confirmed that former captain Root will return to his favoured position at No 4. That leaves four other top-order batting slots with a certain amount of uncertainty around them.

England appear likely to start the summer with Alex Lees and Zak Crawley opening, with the duo set to be given further opportunity having ousted Haseeb Hameed and Rory Burns following their struggles during the Ashes.

However, there is extreme uncertainty around who will get the nod at No 3 and No 5, with Stokes himself having urged players to "put their hands up" for the roles.

The most likely candidates for the positions would appear to be Jonny Bairstow, Dan Lawrence, Ollie Pope and Dawid Malan, while Lancashire's Josh Bohannon could force his way into contention for a Test debut if he can continue to score runs in the County Championship.

Constant changes to personnel during England's hopeless run of form with the bat has failed to improve the situation, so regardless of who is selected, McCullum and his coaching team will need to provide strong technical and mental support if they are to be successful.

Foakes, Bairstow or a return for Buttler behind the stumps?

A factor that could impact McCullum's selections further up the order will be who he chooses as wicket-keeper.

You may have forgotten that McCullum began his career as a hugely successful wicket-keeper-batter, before back issues forced him to give up the role in Tests, and eventually shorter formats.

His expertise behind the stumps puts him in a strong position to choose between Bairstow, Jos Buttler and Ben Foakes.

Buttler was dropped for the tour of the West Indies, but with McCullum fresh from watching him star for the Rajasthan Royals in the IPL, there could be a temptation to give the 31-year-old another go.

Centuries for Bairstow in the final Ashes Test and first match in the West Indies would appear to give him a strong chance of being included, but McCullum might think the best way to get him in the team is with the gloves.

Undoubtedly the best glove-man of the three is Foakes, but his failure to go past 50 across six innings in the West Indies has left him vulnerable.

Keep England's fast bowlers healthy

Key and Stokes have already made noises to suggest England's legendary bowling duo Jimmy Anderson and Stuart Broad, who were also dropped for the tour of the West Indies, have strong chances of being included come the first Test against New Zealand on June 2.

Remarkably, Anderson, who turns 40 in July, and Broad, who turns 36 in June, might be the healthiest fast-bowling options McCullum has at his disposal. While he failed to excel in Broad and Anderson's absence in the Caribbean, Chris Woakes has been a reliable performer on home soil, but looks set to be unavailable at Lord's.

Ollie Robinson has shown huge potential during his short international career, but the 28-year-old's body has repeatedly let him down. He must prove to McCullum he is willing to put in the physical work required to enable him to bowl significant spells at full speed

Then there's the express trio made up of Mark Wood, Jofra Archer and Olly Stone, with the latter appearing to be a non-starter, having most recently been heard spoking about considering retiring from cricket following back surgery.

Wood was enjoying his best run of fitness in the Test arena before an elbow injury ended his tour of the West Indies, and will surely need to be managed carefully.

Last, but certainly not least, is Archer. A chronic right elbow injury has prevented him from playing for England in any format since March 2021, but he looks set to return for Sussex in the Vitality Blast later this month. The 27-year-old insists he still wants to play Test cricket, but admits he needs to prove himself in the shorter forms before that can even become a possibility.

McCullum, along with Key and England's new white-ball head coach, must devise plans to manage England's fast-bowling talent more effectively going forward. Whether it's a reduced schedule, different training regimes, or merely a case of luck, something clearly needs to change.

SKY

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I am cautiously optimistic.

Strauss and McCullum appears a much more robust management team than Giles and Silverwood, who were out of their depth.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    774 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Interesting appointment. BMac certainly turned around NZ's fortunes in both white and red ball cricket while he was captain but I'm not sure he is the right man for this England job.

Englands problems have primarily been that the gap between CC and International cricket has grown pretty wide in recent years. The pitches have been substandard, encouraging trundlers and do not help develop test class batsmen. 18 counties means that talent is diluted and the level of competition is quite low - not an ideal system to groom test class cricketers.

Another thing I've observed is the lack of patience with young test prospects the world over. Back in the early 90's, Shield Cricket had the highest first class standard and even the most prodigious product of that system- Ponting - took 4 years to crack test cricket.
    I dont see anywhere near that amount of patience shown with youngsters in test cricket by any cricket board.

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    All I can say is that if Pakistan had appointed a coach with no experience of coaching a Test side, there would have been calls for a parliamentary inquiry!

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    Interesting appointment. BMac certainly turned around NZ's fortunes in both white and red ball cricket while he was captain but I'm not sure he is the right man for this England job.

Englands problems have primarily been that the gap between CC and International cricket has grown pretty wide in recent years. The pitches have been substandard, encouraging trundlers and do not help develop test class batsmen. 18 counties means that talent is diluted and the level of competition is quite low - not an ideal system to groom test class cricketers.

Another thing I've observed is the lack of patience with young test prospects the world over. Back in the early 90's, Shield Cricket had the highest first class standard and even the most prodigious product of that system- Ponting - took 4 years to crack test cricket.
    I dont see anywhere near that amount of patience shown with youngsters in test cricket by any cricket board.
    Very true ! Steve Waugh took until 1989 to score a Test hundred. Inzamam did not score a home Test hundred in Pakistan until 1997. I shudder to think of the reaction if social media was around then. People here get twitchy about a player if they've one bad series.

Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    All I can say is that if Pakistan had appointed a coach with no experience of coaching a Test side, there would have been calls for a parliamentary inquiry!
    Like Misbah ?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Very true ! Steve Waugh took until 1989 to score a Test hundred. Inzamam did not score a home Test hundred in Pakistan until 1997. I shudder to think of the reaction if social media was around then. People here get twitchy about a player if they've one bad series.

Like Misbah ?
    Well the number of people who spoke against Wasim Khan and Mani on this and raised it in Govt committees....

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Brendon McCullum says the challenge of improving a team at "rock bottom" and his love of Test cricket made him want to be England men's red-ball coach.

The New Zealander was appointed on Thursday in his first coaching role in international or red-ball cricket.

He takes over a side winless in nine Tests, and who have won only one of their past 17 matches.

"If you are prepared to change your life it has got to be something a bit grunty, a little bit meaty," he said.

"And the challenge of bringing a team that is rock bottom at the moment and building something long-term, sustainable and successful... that is more where the challenge lay."

McCullum, who is currently in charge of Indian Premier League side Kolkata Knight Riders, faces his first Test as England head coach at Lord's on 2 June against New Zealand, the team he used to captain.

He was initially approached for the position of England's white-ball coach but will lead in the format in which he played 101 times for his country between 2004 and 2016.

"The white-ball didn't interest me as such because the team is flying - they are one of the best in the world and obviously world champions as well," McCullum said on his SENZ radio show.

"They have Eoin Morgan in there who is a very good friend of mine who has built a structure and system that will continue well after he finishes playing as well.

"I wasn't interested in a cushy gig.

"Plus I love Test cricket and the opportunity to coach England and spend a lot of time around those grounds and traditions and history of the game, it became so appealing."

McCullum, who scored 6,453 Test runs at an average of 38.64 - with 12 hundreds including the fastest Test century of all time - was an aggressive international captain in all formats.

He captained the Black Caps to the 2015 50-over World Cup final, where they were beaten by Australia, but his spell as Test captain started a resurgence that eventually saw them win the World Test Championship last year under his successor Kane Williamson.

His appointment continues England's overhaul after a 4-0 Ashes defeat, with Rob Key having taken over as managing director last month and Ben Stokes appointed captain after the resignation of Joe Root.

They have dropped to sixth in the world rankings and have their lowest points total in the ranking system for 27 years.

"The style of play has been questioned as well," McCullum said.

"That gives me the opportunity to try to carve a path with another Kiwi [New Zealand-born Stokes] and try to bring in real freshness.

"The way Ben Stokes plays the game is similar to how I played the game and love coaching the game.

"That is to play with a bit of freedom and put pressure back on the opposition.

"That is a big challenge in itself to try to pull everyone together to get them to believe in the direction we are heading."

BBC

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    542 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree.

McCallum should've been the LOI coach. Not sure about Test.

Bangladeshi Guy

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First coaching job in international cricket and it's the Test team of England that are undergoing a rocky period. Doesn't look promising on paper, but he seems to have wowed them in the interview stages. Let's see if it pans out.

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Kolkata Knight Riders' skipper Shreyas Iyer's revelation on the franchises coach and CEO playing a big role in selection matters became one of the biggest talking points of the 2022 Indian Premier League (IPL) in the last week.

KKR have had a campaign where they have blown hot and cold as their chances to make the playoffs hang by a thread. After 13 games played and just one match left in the league stage, the two-time champions have 12 points on the board and sit on 6th place with a record of six wins and seven losses so far.

Amid the visible tension in the camp, former Pakistan captain Salman Butt slammed Brendon McCullum and called his style of cricket 'senseless.' Butt further told him to allow captain Iyer to make mistakes and asserted the skipper must be treated with respect.

"McCullum has some issues. He knows one way. He won't look at the pitch, the venue, what can we score, how much we need for a particular opposition. He just says play freely, score quickly. He starts senseless cricket in the garb of fearless cricket at times," said Butt on his Youtube channel.

"You need to give leverage to the team. When you make someone a captain, he is allowed to make mistakes. Captain is not your peon, who will follow all your commands," he added.

Butt elaborated his criticism of McCullum's tactics by remembering his stint with Pakistan Super League (PSL) franchise Lahore Qalandars. "We saw a lot of that in Lahore Qalandars. The meaning of McCullum's fearless cricket was to keep your brains aside and just keep on hitting without looking back. If you have lost 7 out of 10 wickets with 15 overs remaining, he still wanted the team to play that attacking way.

"Lahore gave a lot of chances to him but his method didn't work out. That kind of tactic can work on good pitches but it's not a remedy for all conditions. As a coach, you must plan for all conditions," concluded.

The 2022 IPL is McCullum's last in charge of KKR after he was named England's new red-ball coach. The ex-New Zealand skipper will take over as England's coach when the Ben Stokes-led side host the Black Caps.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...ticle-91595399
    Last edited by MenInG; 16th May 2022 at 18:08.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Brendon McCullum believes his goal of transforming the fortunes of England's Test side as head coach can help safeguard the future of the format.

The New Zealander has been appointed to halt the decline of a team that has won just one of its last 17 matches and will report for duty at the end of this month to begin work with new captain Ben Stokes.

McCullum was one of the most buccaneering players around during his on-field career and he is confident that making England a competitive, attractive outfit can provide a lift to the wider Test game.

Speaking in an in-house interview with the England and Wales Cricket Board, he said: "Test cricket has always been the pinnacle for me and maybe the popularity of it has somehow trended south of late.

"If red-ball cricket is to not just sustain but to thrive, it needs England to be playing an attractive brand of Test cricket, which is competing with Australia, India, New Zealand. It's a big, lofty goal but it's what is in front of us.

"That is what enthused me, if we can get that right, to get England back to where they - where we - should be, which is top of the pile. Challenging the best teams in the world, playing the brand that appeals to the next generation of talent, then we're able to get Test cricket to a stage where kids are wanting to play it rather than just the short versions."

Turning his message to the fans of his adopted country, he added: "If we can achieve the ambitions both Stokesy and myself have, it's going to be a team that is certainly worth following.

"Hopefully we can play that kind of entertaining - I won't say cavalier, because that's probably what other people expect us to do - cricket.

"It's a pretty simple philosophy but if we get that right, with the talent that exists in the English cricket set-up, hopefully we'll get results to go in the right direction and build something together."

McCullum also spoke of his close relationship with England's one-day captain Eoin Morgan, revealing the pair speak on a daily basis, and described his new limited-overs counterpart Matthew Mott as a "really astute coach" who operates "without ego".

On the sharing of multi-format players, he added: "Our relationship will be good. There'll be times when we fight over players, no doubt, but we'll try and come to the right decision for the player and the right decision for English cricket."

SKY

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Brendon McCullum is in no doubt Ben Stokes has the perfect attributes to be England captain and is excited to be working with him in his new role as the men's Test team’s head coach.

All-rounder Stokes was named as Joe Root's successor as skipper at the end of April, followed by former New Zealand international McCullum being appointed to lead the team off the field just over two weeks ago.

The 40-year-old is now preparing England to take on his homeland in the first match of a three-Test series at Lord's which starts on June 2, live on Sky Sports, and believes Stokes is the ideal person to lead the team into a new era.

"I've loved watching Stokesy play cricket over the years," McCullum told Sky Sports News. "He's one of those real characters of the game for who the harder it is, the more they step up.

"Some people are born with those qualities, and I think he's certainly one of those guys. I'm looking forward to working with him and there are going to be some robust conversations at times. I'll probably have to be more plugging of gaps sometimes rather than in some previous roles I've had in leadership or captaincy, where I've probably been a bit more like Stokesy at times.

"I don't coach technically. I understand the techniques, but for me it's more around man-management and trying to provide the right environment for the team to go out and be the best versions of themselves.

"With Stokesy as captain, we've got a very strong leader - a real 'follow me' type of captain - and my job will be to ensure we're consistent with our messaging, look after the guys inside the environment as well and try to allow them to grow at a speed they might not have got to previously, so it's a good challenge."

He's one of those real characters of the game for who the harder it is, the more they step up. Some people are born with those qualities, and I think he's certainly one of those guys.
    Brendon McCullum on Ben Stokes

McCullum's appointment to oversee the Test team raised a few eyebrows when it was announced, given how his previous coaching experience has been with T20 sides Trinbago Knight Riders and Kolkata Knight Riders in the Caribbean Premier League and Indian Premier League respectively.

A hard-hitting wicketkeeper-batsman, he was particularly renowned in limited-overs cricket during his playing days too, but also gained 101 Test caps for New Zealand and underlined how he feels a strong England team could help revitalise the longest format of the game.

"If you look at my career as well, I was able to play a fair amount of red-ball cricket as well and while I've been lucky enough to earn a good living out of the white-ball game around the world and franchise cricket, for me red-ball cricket has always been the pinnacle of the sport," McCullum said.

"If you look at where the game probably fits currently, it's on a slightly downward trend and, for me, the nation that can really change that is England because of the tradition of Test cricket here and the fan following and support it gets in this country.

England's new Test head coach Brendon McCullum hopes his team can help restore the popularity of red ball cricket
    "For us to be competitive in Test cricket will hopefully go a long way to shifting a little bit the perception of red-ball cricket going forward."

McCullum takes over with England sitting at No 6 in the ICC Men's Test Team Rankings and bottom of the 2021-23 World Test Championship table following the drubbing in last winter's Ashes series in Australia and the series defeat in the West Indies earlier this year.

While he admits there is an element of risk to his appointment and that it will take time to turn around the team's fortunes though, he is enthused by the talent he sees in English cricket.

"I'm confident in the skills I've got and the group we have to start things off as well," McCullum said. "It will take me a little while to become completely adjusted to some of the methods and ways over here, and it might take some time for guys to adjust to me.

"But I'm looking forward to it, it was a big risk taken by everyone, but you don't get anywhere unless you're prepared to take a couple of risks in life.

"You look at the players around English cricket, there is so much talent there. There are some guys who have probably been disengaged and some guys who are yet to be discovered as well.

"It's certainly not short on talent and when you add some world-class players who have had incredible careers, it became an appealing target."

SKY

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The article mentions about McCullum's previous coaching stints with Kolkata Knight Riders. Does that mean that he has resigned as coach from KKR? Or is he going to be double dipping?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2019
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Relatively speaking, drawing the series against New Zealand 1-1 would represent a decent effort and a solid result from England.

Let’s see if Brendon can deliver.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Crikey, this fellow has a big job on his hands. England’s batsmen are crying out for his help and experience, not to mention his confidence.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Good start for his reign as well but did we see anything different from England which would have been his doing?

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good start for his reign as well but did we see anything different from England which would have been his doing?
    The fielding, commitment, match awareness, stump hitting accuracy and slip catching were very good in this match from England. These critically important areas had all become a disaster under Chris Silverwood.

Paul Collingwood will have helped in the interim as well, along with Brendon’s early influence.

A professional team performance.
    Last edited by James; 6th June 2022 at 02:41.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Perfect start.

But lots of work to do, still several areas to work on for England.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4837 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    The fielding, commitment, match awareness, stump hitting accuracy and slip catching were very good in this match from England. These critically important areas had all become a disaster under Chris Silverwood.

Paul Collingwood will have helped in the interim as well, along with Brendon’s early influence.

I would defo put that down to Collingwood. Brendon was quiet the personality so he may have boosted the team’s mentality partially but I would just say Collingwood, the team feeling more rejuvenated / fresh and the brilliance of Root who led England to a win on the rare occasion he got a tiny bit of support at the other end

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Change of mindset and adding confidence and belief to the English camp. Early days but I am expecting a much more positive English test team.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyRabbit View Post
    Change of mindset and adding confidence and belief to the English camp. Early days but I am expecting a much more positive English test team.
    I guess a good measure is looking at this run chase itself.

Michael Vaughan said last night that England would not have had the belief, the calmness and the positive mindset to get over the line with a negative coach like Chris Silverwood in charge.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

This.

I would add that Stokes is a frontline bowler, or has been, so he understands the bowling unit better than Root.

I think he will get ten or twelve aggressive overs out of himself per day.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good to see Stokes only bowling 9.4 overs in this Test match as the fourth seamer. His workloads need to be managed — both by himself and by his teammates. As it happens Anderson, Broad and Potts did the business in this one which significantly reduced the need for Stokes to fill in. He can focus more on his captaincy and his batting then, and maintain his fitness. Again I think this will have been discussed with Brendon.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Good to see Stokes only bowling 9.4 overs in this Test match as the fourth seamer. His workloads need to be managed — both by himself and by his teammates. As it happens Anderson, Broad and Potts did the business in this one which significantly reduced the need for Stokes to fill in. He can focus more on his captaincy and his batting then, and maintain his fitness. Again I think this will have been discussed with Brendon.
    Hmm, won't be enough on a tough day with no swing. Surely going back to #6 means he has more energy to bowl more overs. If he can't bowl his quota, then we will need a holding spinner who can block an end up.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7797 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Last night, when Foakesy went out to bat, he (McCullum) was going to send Broady in if we’d lost a wicket to go and have a slog just to score 30-40 runs, the game’s done.

That’s the kind of stuff that we are not used to in the dressing room. Those kinds of things will do us the world of good.

Just those tiny little things, the confidence, the energy that he brings about his mindset towards the game,” Stokes said during a post-match press conference.
    https://www.crictracker.com/england-...gn=JioNews&amp

Oh dear.

I’m glad Foakes hung in otherwise McCullum would have handed his country the game on a platter because of his “aggression”.

England’s batting lacks discipline. They are short of two Test class batsmen and the bowling unit needs Archer back as the spearhead.

They do not need a suicidal maverick like McCullum at the helm who is always on the cusp of doing something stupid and reckless.

There is a lot of talk of this so-called new era with Stokes and McCullum running the show, but nothing has changed and nothing will change unless England find some proper batsmen and get Archer fit again.

2020, 2021, 2022 - the story remains. The legendary Joe Root stands between England and a defeat.

England’s losing streak had nothing to do with his captaincy but someone had to pay a price and be a scapegoat, and it was Root’s leadership.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Hmm, won't be enough on a tough day with no swing. Surely going back to #6 means he has more energy to bowl more overs. If he can't bowl his quota, then we will need a holding spinner who can block an end up.
    I completely agree with you, what I’m saying is that Stokes has done a part of managing his ongoing workload by only bowling 9.4 overs in this Test.

As in, he shouldn’t bowl lots if he doesn’t need to, and if his frontline bowlers are taking the wickets; as they did here.

He can then save himself, his body and his energy for those tougher matches and situations & flat pitches where he is needed to bowl 20-25 overs in each innings.
    Last edited by James; 6th June 2022 at 19:25.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slip catching in particular has been diabolical in recent times, good signs that it's improving under Collingwood and Brendon.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  89.5 KB

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I guess a good measure is looking at this run chase itself.

Michael Vaughan said last night that England would not have had the belief, the calmness and the positive mindset to get over the line with a negative coach like Chris Silverwood in charge.
    Yup. Was heartening to see some great cricket after a hiatus of international cricket.

I had been critical of Silverwood since 2020 with his irrational efforts to plug in the batting line up with half batters strategy.

I still believe Eng have 3 spots for the taking. Pope may or may not succeed. The opening combo of Lees(yet) and Crawley gives a breather to the opposition bowlers.

Although not immediately but I'd still have Bairstow shunted to the top cause his 30 odd runs are going to be more useful at the top rather than in the middle. Let's see what Brook can offer.

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how much effect this appointment had on New Zealand. Everyone’s a professional but it must be tough seeing someone you looked up to in the opposition’s corner - especially for Williamson who inherited the positive mentality McCullum left them with

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh dear.

I’m glad Foakes hung in otherwise McCullum would have handed his country the game on a platter because of his “aggression”.

England’s batting lacks discipline. They are short of two Test class batsmen and the bowling unit needs Archer back as the spearhead.

They do not need a suicidal maverick like McCullum at the helm who is always on the cusp of doing something stupid and reckless.

There is a lot of talk of this so-called new era with Stokes and McCullum running the show, but nothing has changed and nothing will change unless England find some proper batsmen and get Archer fit again.

2020, 2021, 2022 - the story remains. The legendary Joe Root stands between England and a defeat.

England’s losing streak had nothing to do with his captaincy but someone had to pay a price and be a scapegoat, and it was Root’s leadership.
    Archer ain’t coming back, especially for tests. I think you should accept that.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I completely agree with you, what I’m saying is that Stokes has done a part of managing his ongoing workload by only bowling 9.4 overs in this Test.

As in, he shouldn’t bowl lots if he doesn’t need to, and if his frontline bowlers are taking the wickets; as they did here.

He can then save himself, his body and his energy for those tougher matches and situations & flat pitches where he is needed to bowl 20-25 overs in each innings.
    Ah, I get you, think strategically across a series. Hadlee used to do that.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Oh dear.

Archer is a ODI bowler. He can’t keep his pace up even through a test. I have more faith in Wood and even Stone.

Root was mentally gone. It happens to all the England captains in the end. They have to be taken out of the hot seat to protect them.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Mamoon there was no scapegoating of Root, it was absolutely his own decision to step down. In his post match interview Root very honestly and emotionally described how the captaincy was constantly on his shoulders, was affecting his enjoyment of playing cricket, and was seriously impacting on his family and home life as well. He needed to step down for his own mental wellbeing and to continue his career.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7797 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    @Mamoon there was no scapegoating of Root, it was absolutely his own decision to step down. In his post match interview Root very honestly and emotionally described how the captaincy was constantly on his shoulders, was affecting his enjoyment of playing cricket, and was seriously impacting on his family and home life as well. He needed to step down for his own mental wellbeing and to continue his career.
    More than the burden of the captaincy, it was the constant criticism and hounding that got to him IMO.

It was clear right until the very end that he wanted to continue. He came out after the West Indies series and claimed that he wanted to continue as captain and knew he could turn it around, but he was being hounded by the press, ex-cricketers and fans who thought removing him from captaincy would be the first step towards the revival of England’s fortunes in Test cricket,

Root wanted to oversee England’s rebuild but he wasn’t given a chance to do so.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    More than the burden of the captaincy, it was the constant criticism and hounding that got to him IMO.

It was clear right until the very end that he wanted to continue. He came out after the West Indies series and claimed that he wanted to continue as captain and knew he could turn it around, but he was being hounded by the press, ex-cricketers and fans who thought removing him from captaincy would be the first step towards the revival of England’s fortunes in Test cricket,

Root wanted to oversee England’s rebuild but he wasn’t given a chance to do so.
    I like Joe but he had me tearing what little hair I have left out at times.

He didn’t have the ability to turn it round. He was by some margin the worst tactical England skipper I have seen, and I remember back to Brearley. He made wrong bowling choices, overbowled or underbowled people and set ineffective fields.

Nobody could survive his recent run of defeats, avoiding 0-5 in Australia by one wicket, then losing in WI.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think he's an excellent choice for England. England has a good team but is incredibly low on confidence and tactics since last couple of years. McCullum a bit like Shastri should be able to address that and the first victim would be India. India had thr golden chance to win a test series in England but thanks to their greed of IPL and not risking missing out even one day of IPL, Kohli and co ran away from England while being one test match up. It could have defined Kohli's legacy but now post the July test match, series will be a drawn series.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Listened to a podcast earlier and one of the cricket writers opined that Brendon will be a good coach for England because they are talented players who have had success in the past but with the grind of losses and collective collapses have gradually lost their confidence — McCullum, as he did in the New Zealand captaincy role, will be able to make his platoon of young men feel ten feet tall once again.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the choices that England make beggar belief. It seems like they spend far too much time overthinking stuff. The rotation policy was probably the best example. But then there's also stuff like abolishing the chief-selector spot, only to fire the coach/chief-selector months later.

And now they have two separate coaches for white-ball and red-ball cricket, but the guy who transformed New Zealand into an aggressive, competent and modern white ball side is somehow coaching the red-ball side.

Ultimately, ECB can do all they want, but the simple fact is that its slim pickings at the talent pool. McCullum should probably devote more time to watching county, than he does talking to the team. He is someone who has good instincts and I feel he could have a good eye for unearthing talent.

Because its patently obvious that these 30 something guys who average 40+ in any given county season, clearly are not good enough. But if you get a Harry Brook into the side now, or devote some time to ironing out the technical flaws of a Zak Crawley or an Ollie Pope, than this England side might actually have a future.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Two wins from two.

A major shift in the team’s mentality.

Some controversial selection decisions being proven correct.

A series win over the World Test Championship mace holders, New Zealand.

Brendon has had a very good start.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    New terms being mentioned a lot

"Bazball"

==

Strap yourself in, England are playing Bazball.

The two weeks that coach Brendon McCullum and captain Ben Stokes have been in charge of the Test team have breathed life into English cricket.

The 17,000 that gobbled up the free tickets had the feel-good factor even before the fifth day of the second Test against New Zealand began.

What that 17,000 didn't know is they were more likely to catch the ball than any of the New Zealand fielders.

On their own, the numbers of England's five-wicket win are staggering.

A chase of 299 completed in 50 overs - England's fifth-highest and fastest of all-time. Then there is the most boundaries ever hit in a Test and the second-highest number of runs scored in a Test in England.

Jonny Bairstow, a one-man Black Cap wrecking ball. A 77-ball hundred, almost beating a 120-year record for England's fastest Test ton. In the 43 balls he faced between tea and when he got out, Bairstow thrashed 93 runs, with 10 fours and seven sixes. He should have been arrested for abusing the ball.

But this glorious, sun-kissed afternoon in Nottingham wasn't just about statistics, it was about falling back in love with an England Test team that have been hard to even like.

To go back just over a year, against the same opponents at Lord's, England declined a final-day target of 273 in 75 overs.

Yes, the conditions were different to the batting utopia of Trent Bridge and it was an inexperienced England team, but it was also free-hit of a match, not part of the World Test Championship.

Now, knowing that a bore draw would ensure they couldn't lose the series, England committed to the chase as if their lives depended on it.

"I'll say it simply. We were either winning this game or losing it," said Stokes.

"The message was run into the fear of where the game was, rather than stand still or back away from it."

McCullum - nicknamed 'Baz' - told us it was coming, too. When he arrived at Lord's with his jeans rolled up and bare ankles showing, he said: "Test cricket needs England to be strong, competitive and playing a watchable style of cricket. If not, it is in big trouble.

"I think Test cricket has been on a slightly downward path and the only people who can change that really are England."

As the New Zealander sat on the Trent Bridge balcony, watching from behind the kind of sunglasses none of his predecessors could have pulled off, England turned his words into actions.

In England's first innings, Stokes charged at the ball like the second coming of McCullum, the man who still holds the record for the fastest hundred in Test cricket. Joe Root, the most complete batter England have ever produced, reverse-scooped the second ball he faced on day four for six.

In the field, when England struggled to make things happen, they got funky. Top of off stump? Not a chance. The middle of the pitch took a pounding and, somehow, New Zealand fell for it.

Players that have been backed have delivered. Eyebrows were raised when Ollie Pope was asked to bat at number three for the first time in his first-class career. Stokes said he wanted Pope in his team, regardless of the batting position and he responded with a hundred here.

Ben Foakes may have come under pressure from Jos Buttler's form at the IPL, only for Stokes to say he plays because he is the "best wicketkeeper in the world".

Foakes has been faultless with the gloves and was in the middle batting for the conclusion of both of England's wins.

Change hasn't just come on the field, either. McCullum is looking to streamline England's massive army of backroom staff and access to the dressing room is only granted to those with a good reason to be there.

McCullum may stop to think that key moments of fortune have gone England's way. They were a Colin de Grandhomme no-ball away from losing the first Test at Lord's, and all of Alex Lees, Pope and Root benefited from crucial drops at Trent Bridge. You make your own luck.

There are still problems to solve. Zak Crawley has developed the habit of edging pretty much any ball that is bowled to him and spinner Jack Leach neither held an end, nor carried a threat at Trent Bridge.

With Stuart Broad batting at number eight, England have a tail longer than a diplodocus, though Stokes will say it is not the bowlers' job to get runs.

There will be times when running into the fire will cause England to get burnt. Their failures could be as spectacular as their triumphs.

Perhaps there will be occasions when even Stokes and McCullum have to find a different rhythm. It can't always be a case of turning it up to 11 and playing everything as loud as possible. Nirvana's Unplugged session was just as good as the Nevermind album.

Not that Stokes is entertaining those thoughts at the moment.

"We're going to be even more positive. I don't know how, but we'll try," he added.

"The sky is probably the limit, but we can go further than that. With this group of players, I've got absolutely no idea."

Welcome to Bazball. Enjoy the ride.

BBC

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Couldn't have had a better start as England head coach.

Looks relaxed in the dressing room and enjoying his role.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Chris Silverwood: 2 Test wins in 18.

Brendon McCullum: 2 Test wins in 2.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The English media need to give him a very long rope. Sure there will be some attractive cricket along the way but there will be the inevitable disastrous match where it will look like players are throwing their wicket away.

The world cup 2015 is a good example, the kiwis smashed every team but lost the plot in the final. They were able to shrug it off by saying well thats what happens when you play high stakes cricket.

I know the format is different but there's a high likelihood of that happening in test matches under Baz too, and I don't think the English pundits/media will be quite so forgiving if it happens in a high stakes test series against Australia.

This is why its so important that he builds up some credit in the bank quickly so he has something to fall back on.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    560 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Our IPL heroes are going to get smashed in the one-off test coming up.

England look a totally different side.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    England have been a vastly different Test team in the two Test matches that they have played under the leadership of their new head coach and captain, Brendon McCullum and Ben Stokes respectively. While there have been moments when it looked like they might lose the two matches, they managed to pull off extraordinary chases on both occasions to seal a series win.

Senior fast bowler Stuart Broad said that McCullum's philosophy is all about how to move the game forward. This was evident in the final session of the second Test, in which an extraordinary 179-run partnership between Jonny Bairstow and Stokes, which came in just 121 balls, helped England chase down a target of 299 despite having started their second innings only halfway through the first session.

"It does feel really fresh and exciting in the changing room," said Broad. "It's a very positive language. It's very forward-thinking, all about how to move this game forward."

The series is England's first under former New Zealand captain McCullum, who took over as coach last month following the exit of Chris Silverwood. England's limited overs captain Eoin Morgan had said after they won the 2019 World Cup that the team's revolution in white ball cricket was inspired by how McCullum's New Zealand side played.

England's attacking performance was in contrast to their approach against the same opponents at Lord's a year ago, when they did not even attempt to take on a final day target of 273 and settled for a draw.

"This is no dig but at tea, when we were four down with the game in the balance slightly, I've certainly been in changing rooms in the past where that would be shut up shop time," Broad said.

"Baz's team talk was very much, 'let's attack the danger; let's run towards the danger', so every part of your mind is about going for this win.

"It was never really a case of, 'if we lose one we might shut up shop'. It was always 'we're going to win' and if it doesn't work, don't worry about it."

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...356172336.html

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England are very lucky to have a coach like McCullum. No way they would have gone for this win without him.

It’s wishful thinking that Pakistan can ever get McCullum but I certainly hope coaches all over the world are taking note and looking to inject some of this thinking in their strategies. Maybe one day Pakistan will find someone with that kind of thinking.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    England are very lucky to have a coach like McCullum. No way they would have gone for this win without him.

It’s wishful thinking that Pakistan can ever get McCullum but I certainly hope coaches all over the world are taking note and looking to inject some of this thinking in their strategies. Maybe one day Pakistan will find someone with that kind of thinking.
    He was hated upon by LQ fans when he was captain for them so suddenly loving him from Pakistan would be a little hypocritical.

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was hated upon by LQ fans when he was captain for them so suddenly loving him from Pakistan would be a little hypocritical.
    I didn’t know that, but even then it shouldn’t matter.

Regardless, as I said, it is very doubtful we can ever lure him but what we need is someone with a similar mindset. Enough of this negative approach that we have embraced over the last 12 years.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post

They wouldn't have done under Silverwood, but they have gone after targets like this before and caught them:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...full-scorecard

Admittedly England had a stronger top order in those days. Oh my Tresco and my Strausser long ago....

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Early days but looks like the McCullum era of English Test cricket will be a memorable one, for better or worse. All guns blazing.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "It has been a long two and a half months in the IPL. I though the shift to Test cricket would be a big one, but the way England have been playing it's a bit more of the same.

"It has been a huge infusion of the Brendon McCullum effect, changing attitude, understanding risk and reward and really enjoying the privilege of playing Test cricket - and not worrying about the what ifs in terms of losing."

Sangakara on England

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.crictracker.com/england-...paign=JioNews&

Oh dear.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must admit I was wrong about this appointment. It's clear that a guy like McCullum brings with him a different way of thinking. Because fact is this is the same English side that won 2 of their last 20 tests before the start of this series.

And now, its like looking at a completely different side. Will be interesting to see if McCullum can empower England play this brand of cricket even in more adverse conditions. But one thing is for sure, this brand of cricket that England has started playing recently isn't just more exciting but it might force other teams to change the way they play as well.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Idk whether it's him or Stokes, but this England team seem a lot different to previous ones who meekly surrendered and crumbled under the slightest amount of pressure.

Either way, it's cool that a lot of the best coaches in the cricket are Kiwis. A shame we don't get them coaching the NZ team, would go a long way to winning a ODI WC or T20 WC.
    Last edited by Aman; 27th June 2022 at 01:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Amazed by the work he is doing.

I thought he would do a good job, but not this good, and not so quickly!

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aman View Post
    Idk whether it's him or Stokes, but this England team seem a lot different to previous ones who meekly surrendered and crumbled under the slightest amount of pressure.

Either way, it's cool that a lot of the best coaches in the cricket are Kiwis. A shame we don't get them coaching the NZ team, would go a long way to winning a ODI WC or T20 WC.
    What are you talking about lol? New Zealand always has a Kiwi coach. Right now its Gary Stead, before him it was Heeson, before him it was John Wright, before him it was Greatbatch..

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    What are you talking about lol? New Zealand always has a Kiwi coach. Right now its Gary Stead, before him it was Heeson, before him it was John Wright, before him it was Greatbatch..
    I was mainly referring to Fleming and now McCullum while early days seems to be pretty good.

Stead while has gotten results, is mainly due to what he inherited from McCullum-Hesson.
    Last edited by Aman; 27th June 2022 at 01:49.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Could throw Bond in there too, he was excellent for us as bowling coach. He does coaching in IPL now, it could be due to family commitments or whatever that's why I didn't mention him. But it would be fantastic to have Fleming, McCullum, Bond and Vettori coaching the next generation.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/sport/466...the-black-caps