Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

IPL 2022 TV Ratings fall, advertisers knock Star Sports doors for compensation

IPL 2022 TV Ratings fall, advertisers knock STAR SPORTS doors for COMPENSATION, BCCI confident ‘ratings will pick up now’

By

Syed atifur rab

May 13, 2022

IPL 2022 TV Ratings – IPL 2022 LIVE Broadcast: As reported earlier by InsideSport, the 15th edition of the ongoing Indian Premier League (IPL) is on a sticky wicket. The TV viewership across age groups has fallen by over 30% making some of the advertisers really jittery. InsideSport can confirm that some of the advertisers and agencies have started knocking the doors of official broadcasters for compensation for fall in RATINGS: Follow IPL 2022 LIVE Updates with InsideSport.IN

Sources told InsideSport that advertisers are asking broadcaster Disney Star India to compensate them for the drop in viewership.It is worth noting that Star Sports this year had hiked the ad rates by almost 15 to 20%.

“See we have paid 15% more and the numbers are down by 28-30%. It’s quite a dampener for us. We obviously are talking to Star Sports for some compensatory inventory and hopeful of the solution”, said one of the advertiser on IPL 2022 this year.

Shashank Srivastava, senior executive director (marketing & sales), Maruti Suzuki India also has been quoted by FE on dip in ratings. Maruti too are in discussion with Star Sports for the compensatory spots according to Srivastava.

“In the first 25 matches this season, if you look at our TG, which is male and between 22 and 40 years of age, the TVR (television ratings) drop is around 58% and much higher than the average viewership decline of around 30-35%,” said Srivastava. “We are in discussions with Star Sports to provide additional FCT (free commercial time) on live matches so that the overall reach numbers and commitments that were made can be met.”, he told Financial Express.

IPL 2022 TV Ratings – IPL 2022 LIVE Broadcast: The fall in IPL 2022 Ratings is UNPRECEDENTED. The trend of the first few weeks now has reached extremely alarming proportions. The last WEEK Ratings of IPL 2022 has falled by more than 35%. Never ever in history of IPL, the ratings have fallen to these levels. Despite of NON-STOP matches every evening of the week, Star Sports has fallen to NO. 4 in TOP Channels LIST:

BARC Week 17: Saturday, 23rd April 2022 to Friday, 29th April 2022IPL 2022 Viewership Drops by almost 35% vis a vis last year for the same weekStar Sports 1 Hindi Drops to No. 4th in TOP Channels LISTSunTV No. 1, MAA TV No. 2 & Star Plus No. 3 in top channels list for the weekIPL 2022 Ratings is seeing historic fall.First 4 Week Ratings of IPL 2022 vis a vis last year has shrinked by almost 30%

BCCI also has admitted that they are now getting concerned on fall in viewership numbers

“We haven’t seen the entire viewership report as yet. But any fall in television ratings is a concern. The matches and standard of cricket is absolutely top class. We are sure the ratings will pick up in coming weeks”, a top BCCI official admitted to the InsideSport.

InsideSport also reached out to Disney Star Sports Network for their take on the fall in ratings but did not get any reply.

Link: https://www.insidesport.in/ipl-2022-...l-pick-up-now/

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not surprising for a what seems like a never ending competition.

Debut
    Jun 2012
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess they are all watching Pakistan politics instead.

Debut
    Feb 2022
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This circus is two months long.Most pointless cricket tournament ever.
    I m glad there is a drop in viewership.This circus is killing international cricket.
    Hope this tournament gets reduced to one month.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Villager6964 View Post
    I m glad there is a drop in viewership.This circus is killing international cricket.
    If the BCCI wants to accommodate more teams while finishing IPL in a timely manner, they need to think about three matches a day held at three different venues ie a morning T20 game, an afternoon T20 game and a night game.

Debut
    Apr 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be interesting to get more details on drop in viewership. For example are the stats just related to India or worldwide? If worldwide then which region has had a drop in viewership.

Debut
    Feb 2022
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they comparing the ratings with combined figures of both halfs of IPL held last year?

Last year, there was unprecedented Covid wave in India and most people were either distressed or mourning the death of loved ones when IPL was halted mid-way. It would be very surprising that ratings have fallen so sharply if the comparison is with the first half only.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    855 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    It seems fans are getting bored now. #LalluPanjuLeague

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the contrary, I believe the IPL is set to increase the length and the number of matches. The upcoming TV rights and the schedule for 2023 season will/should reveal that.

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    If the BCCI wants to accommodate more teams while finishing IPL in a timely manner, they need to think about three matches a day held at three different venues ie a morning T20 game, an afternoon T20 game and a night game.
    I don't think this will ever happen. The IPL is not looking to cram anything. They want to give breathing room for every game to maximize revenues. They will have double header's on Sat and Sun. But that's about it.

They are not worried about the length. I think we should be prepared for the IPL to run for three months. I think that is where it will end up long term.

One of the reasons they are not worried about the length is the deal the ICC has already cut with IPL/BCCI. Which is guaranteed BCCI participation in six ICC tournaments in return for an IPL window.

So I think the IPL will continue to do business the way it benefits them and the team owners.

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Not surprising for a what seems like a never ending competition.
    Given the decrease in viewership, perhaps the IPL has set the bar too high at $4.3 Billion. There are reports that the bid might end up at $6-$7 Billion. But given the current viewership, it may not happen.

But then again, the companies bidding are Amazon, Disney, Google, Viacom/Reliance and a few more. Most of them with pretty deep pockets.

Debut
    Apr 2022
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ngl the IPL has gotten extremely boring and it's a shame that this competition kills international cricket for 2 months of the year. I don't know anyone that's willing to waste 2 months watching a domestic cricket competition.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    855 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by U$ofA View Post
    On the contrary, I believe the IPL is set to increase the length and the number of matches. The upcoming TV rights and the schedule for 2023 season will/should reveal that.
    I hope they do. People will get tired of watching this nonsense for such a long time.

Tum mujhe bhaga sako aisa ho nahi sakta aur tum mere begair bhaago yeh main hone nahi dunga - Viru

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    855 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextro View Post
    Ngl the IPL has gotten extremely boring and it's a shame that this competition kills international cricket for 2 months of the year. I don't know anyone that's willing to waste 2 months watching a domestic cricket competition.
    None of these guys who boast about IPL money and its popularity here watch this borefest.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Funnily enough the same thing happened when the BBL over-expanded and got too long. Fans lost interest in meaningless games and even the players admitted boredom.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    855 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongun View Post
    Funnily enough the same thing happened when the BBL over-expanded and got too long. Fans lost interest in meaningless games and even the players admitted boredom.
    See it is quite simple to understand but IPL fans won't understand this. This league will get boring with each passing year.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One look at the IPL match forums will tell you how intrested cricket fans are in this circus, and people want longer IPL, that would be the death of cricket and turn it into a niche sport like american football or baseball.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It really is a borefest.

10 teams was never a great idea especially with the lack of star quality.

-AB is no longer there, he was a major draw.
    -Chris Gayle was also a big draw
    -Kohli is still drawing eyeballs but he has regressed massively
    -Mumbai Indians losing all of their star, core players to other franchises
    -Dhoni clinging on devaluing the league

Indian cricketers on a whole have lost their credibility since the 2021 T20 World Cup debacle

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    See it is quite simple to understand but IPL fans won't understand this. This league will get boring with each passing year.
    But for the likes of @AB_Fan IPL is the only cricket league in the world that has an El-Classico

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Guys like Kevin Pietersen in the commentary box overdoing it with the hype like Sanjay Kapoor with his overacting

KP is a well known untrustworthy person, he shouldn’t be allowed to talk in hyperboles at all!

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You’ve also got to hand it to stupid franchise owners, team managers with their own cricket science in order to make it seem as if IPL is the pinnacle of cricket, whereas it really isn’t.

Dewald Brevis, Keiron Pollard getting a start ahead of Tim David lol

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a big factor has been numbers promised by Star didn't account for jump in previous edition (they were celebrating) was mainly due to lockdowns and people stuck at home.

They should've accounted for that and given realistic numbers since the entire country is back to normal, pre-covid days with majority work force going back to work.

But I guess in greed they promised something they could not deliver or hoped for another covid wave to lock up people in their homes.

Digital viewership it seems has been marginally better than last time, which is again not a surprise with people on the move with back to work (in at least 50% of the cases) people will rely more on phones/tabs to view the game than a TV.
    Last edited by Cricfan4eva; 17th May 2022 at 14:41.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silentkiller187 View Post
    One look at the IPL match forums will tell you how intrested cricket fans are in this circus, and people want longer IPL, that would be the death of cricket and turn it into a niche sport like american football or baseball.
    It is not death of cricket.

If anything t20 and leagues are going to be the savior of cricket.

bilateral Tests and ODI series are money-losing series unless one of Aus-Ind-Eng-Pak are involved. Tell me honestly, do you think SL-Ban is going to make money?

I prefer tests any day over joke i.e. T20 format but sadly in world of marketing your product needs to be an attractive package which only T20 is...it's poor numbers are still way beyond the numbers a random Test or ODI can promise. Right now these bilaterals are being funded by ICC and not actually a money-making ventures for these local boards. How long do you think that model will sustain?

If ICC wants to save international cricket and Test, they need to think of a serious changes in FTP cycle that allows for leagues to flourish while also ensuring breaks for key ICC events and key bilateral tournaments. If they do it, they retain control. If it comes to boards making a play for it, they will ensure they will control the calendar too.
    Last edited by Cricfan4eva; 17th May 2022 at 14:51.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricfan4eva View Post
    It is not death of cricket.

If anything t20 and leagues are going to be the savior of cricket.

bilateral Tests and ODI series are money-losing series unless one of Aus-Ind-Eng-Pak are involved. Tell me honestly, do you think SL-Ban is going to make money?

I prefer tests any day over joke i.e. T20 format but sadly in world of marketing your product needs to be an attractive package which only T20 is...it's poor numbers are still way beyond the numbers a random Test or ODI can promise. Right now these bilaterals are being funded by ICC and not actually a money-making ventures for these local boards. How long do you think that model will sustain?

If ICC wants to save international cricket and Test, they need to think of a serious changes in FTP cycle that allows for leagues to flourish while also ensuring breaks for key ICC events and key bilateral tournaments. If they do it, they retain control. If it comes to boards making a play for it, they will ensure they will control the calendar too.
    The key is balance, how many t20 leagues are there at the moment all chasing money, now we have t10, 100, again money spinners. Whats next t5 , super over? ICC can save international cricket but all the boards need to come together for the same goal, at the moment they are al chasing money and dont really care about the longevity of the game.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They need more double headers to shorten the length of the tournament instead of making it drag on forever. People lose interest with such a long format

I follow the games on Cricinfo but dont watch the full games anymore. I tune in only if the last 5-6 overs promise a close finish.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody wants to watch a prolonged T20 tournament.

The whole buzz around T20 is the fast natue of the game and the tournament should reflect this.

A never ending tournament with complex fixture lists, complex permutations and diluted talent pool will only attract people for so long.

Even the commentary talent is diluted. Nobody in their right mind would want to hear KP droning on for two months.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just can't relate to T20 domestic cricket.
    May be I'm too old for it but watching domestic teams slog it out day in and day out is extremely tedious.

The only reason I watch some of the PSL games is to get a glimpse of Pakistan other then that its just the money that makes people rave about the leagues and the games themselves. The cricket itself is tedious.

So its not surprising that viewership is down. It's just Mickey Mouse cricket, if you can call it cricket, and there's far too much of it.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshiarpurexpress View Post
    Pakistanis still won’t get a whiff of the grandest cricket tournament of the world, no matter how much they gawk or wish about it’s so called downfall.
    IPL will grow further and it does not need any Pakistani or other country viewers.
    It may not need Pakistanis but it certainly needs Indian viewers.

A 30% drop is not 'continue to grow further' in any dictionary.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4822 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMMY69 View Post
    I just can't relate to T20 domestic cricket.
    May be I'm too old for it but watching domestic teams slog it out day in and day out is extremely tedious.

The only reason I watch some of the PSL games is to get a glimpse of Pakistan other then that its just the money that makes people rave about the leagues and the games themselves. The cricket itself is tedious.

So its not surprising that viewership is down. It's just Mickey Mouse cricket, if you can call it cricket, and there's far too much of it.
    I agree but if you want to take the fam out for a bit on a nice summer’s day, the hundred is not a bad option, it’s a bit of bish bosh but good fun and all done within 3 hours

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    But for the likes of @AB_Fan IPL is the only cricket league in the world that has an El-Classico
    Actually it is the main reason of viewership fall this year. CSK and Mumbai are the 2 biggest franchise in world cricket with huge fan base. The lacklusture performance of these 2 teams and with both languishing at the bottom of the table is the reason why viewership is less. It has nothing to do with number of games, 10 teams etc.

Not sure why you took that 'El Classico' term personally..lol. It is true that these are the 2 biggest teams and their fans love this rivalry. Infact, there are many fans who care for their franchise more than India games.

You need to understand that demographics of Pakistan and India are very different. People in India (especially in Southern/Western India) love their state a lot, perhaps more than their country. They ofcourse love India as well but regional identity is their primary identity. Prior to IPL, everyone was forced to support India but now they feel more connected for their state team. This love for their state/region is the main reason for the success of IPL.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For someone who is not a fan of T20 cricket, particularly franchise, I do think people are projecting their inner biases here.

We don't have the facts.

Ratings dropped by 30% vs last year. Let's deconstruct.
    1. Are they down vs 2020 and 2019 as well or up?
    2. What are the actual ratings? How do they compare with prime time 'kiyonke saas bhi kabhi bahu thi"?
    3. If the ratings are down but still higher than all other prime time entertainment over a period of 2 months, is the IPL really not a good investment?
    4. Did 2021 being a Covid year lead to higher viewership?
    5. if cost per rating point (CPRP) is adjusted to 2020/2019 levels by reducing absolute prices, will this help make the tournament last longer?
    6. Why are companies like Google etc bidding if they don't see value?

We need facts. I am pretty sure facts are overwhelmingly in favor of IPL, even a longer one, even at lower than 2021 rating levels once price is adjusted.

Shame, but here it is with franchise cricket.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    I agree but if you want to take the fam out for a bit on a nice summer’s day, the hundred is not a bad option, it’s a bit of bish bosh but good fun and all done within 3 hours
    Plus it doesn't go on for three months...

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If fans aren't interested, why would a league be expanded in terms of number of teams and games? There has to be demand somewhere that has led the league to go into expansion mode.

The NFL and MLB are hugely thriving sports. Some thing similar will be good for cricket. I believe the IPL is similar.

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The key is balance, how many t20 leagues are there at the moment all chasing money, now we have t10, 100, again money spinners. Whats next t5 , super over? ICC can save international cricket but all the boards need to come together for the same goal, at the moment they are al chasing money and dont really care about the longevity of the game.
    Surprising that you think ICC can save cricket. It is a backboneless organization with rampant greed and corruption and a whole lot of selfishness. Not to mention people in positions with fat paychecks that do nothing. And this is the governing body of the sport.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If fans aren't interested, why would a league be expanded in terms of number of teams and games? There has to be demand somewhere that has led the league to go into expansion mode.

The NFL and MLB are hugely thriving sports. Some thing similar will be good for cricket. I believe the IPL is similar.
    I think the increase in teams was to avoid the boredom of seeing the same teams playing each other over and over again for 6-8 weeks.

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyVenom View Post
    Nobody wants to watch a prolonged T20 tournament.

The whole buzz around T20 is the fast natue of the game and the tournament should reflect this.

A never ending tournament with complex fixture lists, complex permutations and diluted talent pool will only attract people for so long.

Even the commentary talent is diluted. Nobody in their right mind would want to hear KP droning on for two months.
    If nobody wants to watch, and nobody does watch, there will be no more advertisers, no advertisers means no money. No money means no league. But here all evidence seems to be on the contrary.

You are right on KP. He goes way over the top.

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the increase in teams was to avoid the boredom of seeing the same teams playing each other over and over again for 6-8 weeks.
    But expansion does not come free. It costs $$$ and a lot of it in this case. I think one of the franchises was bought at almost a billion dollars. The owners are not going to spend that kind of money if they don't think they can make x times back.

The only way that is happening is if there is a demand for IPL. And a huge one at that. Not from a league with feeling fans.

I have a hard time believing that demand is dead or dying. Or the future is bleak for the IPL in any way.

Debut
    Apr 2022
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corridor of Uncertainty View Post
    For someone who is not a fan of T20 cricket, particularly franchise, I do think people are projecting their inner biases here.

We don't have the facts.

2. What are the actual ratings? How do they compare with prime time 'kiyonke saas bhi kabhi bahu thi"?
    3. If the ratings are down but still higher than all other prime time entertainment over a period of 2 months, is the IPL really not a good investment?
    5. if cost per rating point (CPRP) is adjusted to 2020/2019 levels by reducing absolute prices, will this help make the tournament last longer?

We need facts. I am pretty sure facts are overwhelmingly in favor of IPL, even a longer one, even at lower than 2021 rating levels once price is adjusted.

The ratings are apparently lower than they were in 2019.

"As per data sourced from subscribers of BARC India, the first eight matches of the IPL 2022 scored a TVR of 2.52, compared to a TVR of 3.75 in the last season. Overall reach of the first week also dropped 14% to 229.06 million, down from 267.7 million in the last year for all India, 2+ years population. Even during the pre-Covid time (2019), the overall reach was at 268 million, while ratings were at 3.85 TVR."

Source -
    https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...6.cms?from=mdr

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corridor of Uncertainty View Post

We don't have the facts.

Good points. Something does not add up between the posts here and the situation with the IPL.

If people are bored and fleeing the IPL, why are Amazon, Disney, Google et all getting ready to fight for broadcasting rights?

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"As per data sourced from subscribers of BARC India, the first eight matches of the IPL 2022 scored a TVR of 2.52, compared to a TVR of 3.75 in the last season. Overall reach of the first week also dropped 14% to 229.06 million, down from 267.7 million in the last year for all India, 2+ years population. Even during the pre-Covid time (2019), the overall reach was at 268 million, while ratings were at 3.85 TVR."

Source -
    This should spell trouble for the IPL and its upcoming broadcast rights bid. Are they going to get the $4.6 billion base price bids? Do the Amazon's and Disney's think there is a turnaround upcoming?

Interesting upcoming month before we know the reality.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Source -
    Yes this is alarming.

But this looks like only one week's data. Also, advertisers will get more weeks on TV this time.

Also, it doesn't compare to other forms of prime time entertainment.

But it does look like things need a reset.

I mean, from a purely PSL viewpoint, I'd rather gouge an eye out than watch mid level performers like Umaid Asif do Marvel poses for 4 weeks.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Most posting about how bad the IPL is, are people who say they hate the IPL and don't watch it.

Wait for the tv rights bid to go under the hammer. It will break records.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If nobody wants to watch, and nobody does watch, there will be no more advertisers, no advertisers means no money. No money means no league. But here all evidence seems to be on the contrary.

You are right on KP. He goes way over the top.
    I am saying this based on the reduced viewership documented in the OP.

If on the contrary people enjoy it then so be it. They will continue to cash in

I'm not a fan of the IPL ( or many T20 leagues) but my personal opinion is that people will inevitably start to get bored if the quality is diluted and the series is prolonged.

I don't think there is a culture in cricket (yet) of prolonged fixture lists and watching the same players over and over again, as there is in football. Cricket fans are used to short sharp bursts.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    708 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ooh the IPL bashing thread of this season lol.

On topic: Once the new teams settle down this should be back to better ratings but don’t think it can be similar to covid ratings.

Good thing is BCCI acknowledges it and will work on it along with the broadcasters I’m just glad they will finish it by this season so there is a gap between the seasons so people will want it by next year.

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyVenom View Post
    I am saying this based on the reduced viewership documented in the OP.

If on the contrary people enjoy it then so be it. They will continue to cash in

I'm not a fan of the IPL ( or many T20 leagues) but my personal opinion is that people will inevitably start to get bored if the quality is diluted and the series is prolonged.

I don't think there is a culture in cricket (yet) of prolonged fixture lists and watching the same players over and over again, as there is in football. Cricket fans are used to short sharp bursts.
    On the one hand there is reduced viewership. On the other hand things seem to be very bullish in terms of the new broadcast deal.

I think the ratings fall is because of the short gap between the end of the split season last year and the current season.

As far as the bullish future goes, I think the upcoming broadcast deal with be like no other ever in cricket history. Including the Indian international broadcasting deal. Which tells me that the IPL is on sound footing.

Debut
    Apr 2022
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post

On topic: Once the new teams settle down this should be back to better ratings but don’t think it can be similar to covid ratings.

Good thing is BCCI acknowledges it and will work on it along with the broadcasters I’m just glad they will finish it by this season so there is a gap between the seasons so people will want it by next year.
    The IPL is boring and it kills cricket for 2 months, on top of that they(BCCI) want to extend it to 3 months. That's enough reason for anyone to hate this circus.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    708 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The IPL is boring and it kills cricket for 2 months, on top of that they(BCCI) want to extend it to 3 months. That's enough reason for anyone to hate this circus.
    No one is stopping you from hating it mate, I have been long enough on this forum to know the hate it receives every year.

I’m just happy that Indian poor and middle class kids can dream to be cricketers without giving up on it anymore due to lack of opportunities.

Debut
    Mar 2022
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one is stopping you from hating it mate, I have been long enough on this forum to know the hate it receives every year.

I’m just happy that Indian poor and middle class kids can dream to be cricketers without giving up on it anymore due to lack of opportunities.
    I never understood this.

I mean IPL is still a very, very exclusive club.

Just like any T20 franchise.

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your hate should also be directed towards the ICC. The ICC struck a deal with IPL & BCCI for an IPL window in return for a guaranteed participation by the BCCI in ICC events.

When the governing body of cricket is doing such things, I think it should get the biggest hate. But not a single post mentions this.

Debut
    Apr 2022
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

India has a population of over 1.4 billion, I don't think having a domestic competition that gives a chance to max 20 young players every year is gonna make much of a difference to the dreams of Indian poor and middle-class kids as they will most likely never get into even a Raji team let alone an IPL team. Gitting into an IPL team is extremely unlikely for the vast majority of those kids. They're better off putting their money and hopes into a lottery ticket or something.
    Last edited by Hextro; 17th May 2022 at 19:35.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    708 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    India has a population of over 1.4 billion, I don't think having a domestic competition that gives a chance to max 20 young players every year is gonna make much of a difference to the dreams of Indian poor and middle-class kids as they will most likely never get into even a Raji team let alone an IPL team. Gitting into an IPL team is extremely unlikely for the vast majority of those kids. They're better off putting their money and hopes into a lottery ticket or something.
    You think 1.4 billion play cricket and have access to cricket?

No wonder socialists are miserable people, cricket and cricket related opportunities are so much more now and maybe give that miserable advice to Pakistani citizens , Indians don’t need your advice on their dreams and hopes.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    708 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abstraction1 View Post
    I never understood this.

I mean IPL is still a very, very exclusive club.

Just like any T20 franchise.
    In what way? So many Indian kids from different background being scouted(google) and coming into IPL or Indian cricket ex cricketers being paid by BCCI all this due to IPL money..

How is it “exclusive”?

Debut
    Apr 2022
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your hate should also be directed towards the ICC. The ICC struck a deal with IPL & BCCI for an IPL window in return for a guaranteed participation by the BCCI in ICC events.

When the governing body of cricket is doing such things, I think it should get the biggest hate. But not a single post mentions this.
    Not really my problem. It's the existence of the IPL that's started this whole trend of playing worthless cricket. I'm sure no one feels any pride in saying that Hyderbad beat Mumbai on "insert random date".

International cricket will always be the pinnacle of cricket.

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really my problem. It's the existence of the IPL that's started this whole trend of playing worthless cricket. I'm sure no one feels any pride in saying that Hyderbad beat Mumbai on "insert random date".

Yes, it is nobody's problem. Just cricket's problem that the ICC the governing body cuts deals that put international cricket in the back seat. While completely ignoring the fans for whom international cricket is the pinnacle.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    855 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    @Ab Fan loves test cricket only and gives 60% weightage to it as compared to IPL which comes in 3% category.

Debut
    Apr 2022
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You think 1.4 billion play cricket and have access to cricket?

No wonder socialists are miserable people, cricket and cricket related opportunities are so much more now and maybe give that miserable advice to Pakistani citizens , Indians don’t need your advice on their dreams and hopes.
    Looks like the IPL is getting you emotional. More people in India watch cricket than Pakistan's entire population, I'm sure there are millions of so called "dreamers" in India that dream of playing in the IPL, out of which only a handful every year will actually achieve their "dream".

I'm not giving those millions perhaps even hundreds of millions of Indians any advice on whether or not their "dreams and hopes" will ever come true, I'm just telling you that the IPL isn't some sort of dream come true you make it out to be. The lottery ticket analogy was to show how unlikely and ridiculous your scenario of young kids getting an "opportunity" is.

The fact that not every Indian plays cricket is not relevant. India's massive population of over 1.4 billion offsets any chance of anyone ever getting into an IPL team, even if only 20% of Indians(Extremely lowball estimate) have an interest in cricket.

20% of India's population is 281 million people.

maybe give that miserable advice to Pakistani citizens.

How is this bit relevant to this discussion? I get that you are really attached to the circus known as the IPL but try to write stuff that has some substance and not stuff like the highlighted portion of your comment.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    855 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Surprising that you think ICC can save cricket. It is a backboneless organization with rampant greed and corruption and a whole lot of selfishness. Not to mention people in positions with fat paychecks that do nothing. And this is the governing body of the sport.
    Are you talking about ICC or BCCI?

Debut
    Apr 2022
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is nobody's problem. Just cricket's problem that the ICC the governing body cuts deals that put international cricket in the back seat. While completely ignoring the fans for whom international cricket is the pinnacle.
    Glad you agree.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    855 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Yeah we should have waited for another ICC tournament failure before creating this thread. Usually threads like these only pop up when we perform poorly in big ICC tournaments and hardcore IPL fans there can also be seen criticising IPL. IPL season is on now, so they won't utter a single word against it currently.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    708 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Yeah we should have waited for another ICC tournament failure before creating this thread. Usually threads like these only pop up when we perform poorly in big ICC tournaments and hardcore IPL fans there can also be seen criticising IPL. IPL season is on now, so they won't utter a single word against it currently.
    I do agree on that.. esp with scheduling , BCCI should take notice but not kill league.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Let's a take a vote.

How many people here genuinely find the IPL (or any T20 league for that matter) enjoyable?

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    708 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Let's a take a vote.

How many people here genuinely find the IPL (or any T20 league for that matter) enjoyable?
    I did find it enjoyable when I was in Chennai India among the crowd , haven’t watched much lately except highlights but that’s true for so many JAM ODIs and T20s too..

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I did find it enjoyable when I was in Chennai India among the crowd , haven’t watched much lately except highlights but that’s true for so many JAM ODIs and T20s too..
    I'm sure going to the stadium to watch a match or two is extremely enjoyable
    I went to The Hundred last year and had a blast.

Going to a stadium is one thing but to watch it on tv day in and day out is something I wouldn't be able to stomach.

Where does the appetite for this come from?

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Faisalabad.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Let's a take a vote.

I for one have never seen a full T20 league match ever, and I am internationals only fan, and try to first watch or atleast follow all and full matches of Pak team whether tests ODI or T20 plus follow scores of all major international matches. Watch some highlights or last few overs of these boring leagues if it's a tight finish or it's finals etc, just feel zero attachment with these teams and watch only bits of it to watch my favorites players in action when i have nothing else to do. All these league including PSL just seems the same things to me, cheap entertainment in the name of cricket with zero emotional attachment.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    708 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'm sure going to the stadium to watch a match or two is extremely enjoyable
    I went to The Hundred last year and had a blast.

Going to a stadium is one thing but to watch it on tv day in and day out is something I wouldn't be able to stomach.

Where does the appetite for this come from?
    I didn’t mean the stadium but the crowd as in local crowds watching the game everywhere ..restaurants, clubs etc..

I think it’s similar to league concepts around the world, also kids that go to school/college, when I was in college IPL had started and there was a lot of inter city rivalry back then .. I think it’s for settled people.

IPL is from 2008.. ..like 13 years ago.. the new age generation didn’t even know cricket before that…

My favorite time for cricket was 1990s because I was a kid back then and ODI was huge.. but many elders in my family has no fascination for the format.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    You don't watch it. Ask your board to arrange matches during IPL.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)

Just because you wish, IPL wont disappear. Please don't be so sure about what Indians feel for their city IPL teams.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2939 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    So much to say to defend IPL's popularity by some here but I go to the IPL matches thread and guess what? not a peep - if hypocrisy had a name.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Just because you wish, IPL wont disappear. Please don't be so sure about what Indians feel for their city IPL teams.
    I think the Indians who religiously watch IPL on TV are either brain dead or have zero appreciation for the game of cricket.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2939 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    I think the Indians who religiously watch IPL on TV are either brain dead or have zero appreciation for the game of cricket.
    I dont think even the one professing interest in IPL are watching it! Ask them to name or talk about the best innings and they will struggle!

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The IPL is too long and doesnt have the event feel any more. I have never been anything more than a few minutes here and few there watcher but i get the feel that many other peoples viewing habits are similar to mine. Less is more and would make it more watchable.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    So much to say to defend IPL's popularity by some here but I go to the IPL matches thread and guess what? not a peep - if hypocrisy had a name.
    Because hardly 10 active indians here and hardly anyone of them goes to the match threads of any match. I for one is active on many IPL related threads and follow the matches on tv. But i hardly post on the match threads.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Well you can think whatever you want.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well you can think whatever you want.
    and know what Indians think too.

Debut
    Apr 2022
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't watch it. Ask your board to arrange matches during IPL.
    I'm not watching. Why would I watch something I find boring?

Debut
    Apr 2022
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IPL is 3rd rate cricket. If you get excited when Mumbai beats Channi for the 4th time in a season than I don't know what to tell you.

International cricket is where it's at.

Debut
    Apr 2022
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    I dont think even the one professing interest in IPL are watching it! Ask them to name or talk about the best innings and they will struggle!
    Deep down they know the IPL is boring.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    855 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Because hardly 10 active indians here and hardly anyone of them goes to the match threads of any match. I for one is active on many IPL related threads and follow the matches on tv. But i hardly post on the match threads.
    That's a lie. There are so many Indian members here. Ofcourse you will only notice them when an international match is going on here. Just goes to show that they also find IPL boring and not worthy to discuss its matches here.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    855 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    IPL is 3rd rate cricket. If you get excited when Mumbai beats Channi for the 4th time in a season than I don't know what to tell you.

He/She is more interested in business side of cricket such as money, power, TV deals, etc.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)

Thats your opinion and you can have it. What you don't have is the power to thrust your opinion on others.