[VIDEO/PICTURES] Lahore Qalandars 'unearth' Malinga-style fast-bowler - Tayyab Abbas

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2939 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

[VIDEO/PICTURES] Lahore Qalandars 'unearth' Malinga-style fast-bowler - Tayyab Abbas

Pakistan Super League (PSL) franchise Lahore Qalandars has once again unearthed a special talent during their Player Development Program (PDP), which left Aaqib Javed, Sameen Rana, and Darren Gough all in disbelief.

Tayyab Abbas, who appeared in the Qalandars' PDP, showcased his ability to bowl similarly to Sri Lanka's legendary unorthodox bowler Lasith Malinga.

His 'slingy' action and ability to bowl 87mph despite having no formal training left former England pacer and Yorkshire Managing Director, Darren Gough in sheer disbelief.

"He bowls 87mph in trainers with no spikes, doesn't really know how to hold the ball properly, and has no real stability when he lands but somehow gets the ball on the other end at 87mph - I mean, wow," said Darren Gough while speaking to the media.

Former Pakistan pacer and PSL title-winning head coach, Aqib Javed, also stated that he too was impressed with Tayyab’s unique talent and he has the potential to become a real asset to the franchise.

Hailing from Jhang, Tayyab has aspirations to change his fortunes as he currently works as a welder while his father owns a small bakery in the city.

Speaking to the media, Tayyab also expressed his delight after being highlighted during the trials.

"I have a dream to play for Lahore Qalandars and I have taken the first step by coming to the trials and going through with them," he said.

CricketPakistan
    Last edited by MenInG; 21st May 2022 at 14:35.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2939 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Another gimmick or the real deal?

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess bit of gimmicks (Good way to market franchise as well) are going to go hand in hand with some inspiring talent however, credit to LQ for being so consistent with trials at such a large scale almost every other year barring Covid time where the scale was downsized.

Regarding the guy, I think being able to ball with the style of Malinga and at good pace can create that initially surprise factor for some batsmen but, what many often overlook is the fact that Malinga was pretty skillful overall with the ball and the action just complemented that.

So will have to see. Guy having unorthodox action, extraordinary hight or ability to bowl with both hands in isolation are not enough. Interesting to see him bowl in nets though, will see going forward where ends at.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    2nd Room on the left
    Runs
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hopefully he is that praiseworthy but in reality there is a long list of fake phaast bowlers Ahmed Jamal M Talha Sohail Khan Tabish Khan Umaid Asif ZIA ul Haq and so and so on

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    malinga was successful because he had crazy accurate yorkers, and very well disguised slower balls. just bowling side arm doessnt make you special.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2939 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Selected for LQ's PDP Class of 2022!

Congratulations to him

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2939 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Darren Gough:

“I was there quite a few hours and picked out a couple, although not purely myself.

“I picked out one lad who had a Malinga style action. He hit the side net three times in five balls. But, on the speed gun, he made it up to 88 mph in trainers.

“When they put spikes on him, he couldn’t let the ball go and kept bowling beamers. But he clearly had something they could work with.

Debut
    Mar 2022
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sohail Khan was pretty quick.There is no proper system in Pakistan to develope players.Some fast bowlers are ignored when they are young.They get selected when they are over 30.Others are thrown at the deep end when very young and inexperienced eg Naseem Sha.