Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2939 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Salman Butt appointed Singapore consulting Head Coach

Salman Butt has been appointed as a consulting Head Coach for the national side for the 2022 season.

As per reports, he will be assisted by local support staff with former Pakistan women's team trainer Jamal Hussain, who will join the team as fielding coach and trainer.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2939 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Maybe Singapore guys did not check Google.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    540 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite random.

All the best to Singapore.

Bangladeshi Man

Debut
    Mar 2021
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wishing Singapore Good Journey Along Salman ��

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If amir can be allowed playing in English counties than this is ok i guess.

The first and only PM of Pakistan to lose the peoples confidence = Imran Khan

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2939 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    But a coach - is a position of power.

Debut
    Apr 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Gibbs can coach around the world but Salman butt cannot?

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't the chairman or ceo of Singapore cricket a Pakistani? Saad Janjua i think. He has close relations with Salman Butt. This is no surprise to me.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    True.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Guy deserves a second chance in life especially when Amir can get it

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well I think it will come as news to most people that Singapore has a cricket team. I imagine it’s a bunch of people who have “proper” jobs but like to play some cricket when they get the chance. If anything, it’s a lesson to all the match fixers as to how badly south your career can go if you get involved in fixing - mostly unemployed for more than a decade and then a side job as “coach” for a bunch of total amateurs.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2939 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    So would we be ok if Butt was made Pakistan's batting coach?

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    879 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    To be honest Salman Butt does have good analysis of the game. He will do well in position of a coach or mentor.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Guess there's a lot of Pakistani diaspora in Singapore cricket scene so they probably wanted someone who can speak Urdu and won't ask for a big paycheck. Seems like the only explanation.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good for Salman, can land up in coaching jobs for better cricketing countries ifnhe does well here.

If I'm not wrong Tim David will be playing for Singapore in T20 WC Qualifiers Grp B to be held in July in Zimbabwe.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I dont like fixers returning to cricket. But when we bended the rules for amir than it really bothers me and i would be willinging to see rules be bend for everyone around just for the sake than.

Amir enters as a senior member in teams which is equally an influential position.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salman has good understanding of the game but, surprised to see that Singapore which is known to be really tough on illegalities and crimes opted from him.

I guess they might not have many options and Salman Butt is an ex-international cricketer and captain so I guess win-win situation for both. Salman gets a 2nd chance in his cricketing career and now as a coach while Singapore will get a decent mind with international experience.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So would we be ok if Butt was made Pakistan's batting coach?
    Yup, we lowered the benchnark when we gave amir a chance. The guy brcame the senior player of the team.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think posters should move on from what happened 12 years ago and focus on the present. One can't dwell in the past forever, not in this day and age.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sam_ahm View Post
    I think posters should move on from what happened 12 years ago and focus on the present. One can't dwell in the past forever, not in this day and age.
    Looks even worse coming from subcontinent crowd who themselves elect a lot of people with criminal backgrounds to run their country.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sam_ahm View Post
    Looks even worse coming from subcontinent crowd who themselves elect a lot of people with criminal backgrounds to run their country.
    people in UK and USA vote for people that have been involved in anti muslim policies internationally or even protect Pakistani politicians who are criminals, so what is your point?

Amir, Butt, and Asif will forever be known as fixers even after 50 years. This thing will be bought up again and again.

Its not about dwelling in the past, its about cross that one line which destroys the reputation of the game.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe Singapore guys did not check Google.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    Salman has good understanding of the game but, surprised to see that Singapore which is known to be really tough on illegalities and crimes opted from him.

I guess they might not have many options and Salman Butt is an ex-international cricketer and captain so I guess win-win situation for both. Salman gets a 2nd chance in his cricketing career and now as a coach while Singapore will get a decent mind with international experience.
    They're ethnic Pakistanis and Indians who've settled in Singapore.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    Glasgow
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post

I'm sure I read they recently legalised a form of gambling..... makes sense to bring Salman Butt in to teach them how to match fix and make some money!

Debut
    Mar 2021
    Venue
    The Universe
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure they know who he is or maybe they think this is some other Salman Butt. No sane human would give him a cricket related job.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    He's done the time so I guess deserves a chance if people are willing to give him an opportunity.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No law in the world punishes anyone twice for the same crime, Salman has done his time and now should be free to do whatever job he is offered. Good luck to him. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance .

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Amir and other fixers have been given a second chance on the pitch and in coaching then why not he done his time. He already made a comeback and played in Pakistan so good luck to him.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't have a problem with this, people should be given second chances. What I think is that all fixers should be banned from playing international cricket ever again. That's enough of a deterrent to prevent people fixing I feel as well as still being generous enough to allow them to earn a living through domestic and coaching, though Pakistan as a nation haven't exactly stopped cricketers caught fixing playing international cricket again.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I lived in Singapore for a few years.

About 12% of the population is of Indian background (some been in SG for many generations, some more recent). Many retain a strong interest in the game but there's <1 million Indian population.

Then you have about 20% of the population is expats mostly from Uk/Oz/Europe/SA (I guess Pakistan too) so quite a few cricket enthusiasts among them. But yes, obviously at the amateur end of ability mostly.

At the very best SG could field a Hong Kong level team but really there is no scope for a large scale comp or succesful team- it's a one city island with very expensive real estate and no room for many cricket pitches.

There's 200 000 or so migrant workers, many from South Asia who come to Singapore to work construction and similar jobs. They play pick up games in the green spaces on days off too, but wouldn't be able to play for Singapore. Again just casual relaxation players with no time at all to train really.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2939 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    SINGAPORE - The Singapore Cricket Association (SCA) has appointed former Pakistan captain and batsman Salman Butt as the national team consulting head coach for the 2022 season.

The 37-year-old, who was part of the Pakistan national team from 2003 to 2010, will have only about two months to get his men ready.

His first assignment - the ICC T20 World Cup Qualifiers in Zimbabwe - takes place in July. It is followed by the Asia Cup qualifiers in Sri Lanka in August and the ICC Men's Challenge League A in Canada.

With the pandemic putting training and competitive cricket on hold, SCA chief executive Saad Khan Janjua hopes that Butt's abilities and experience would pull the players out from this "black hole" and get them to play their best within the shortest time.

Butt, who retired from playing in 2020, was named as the 12th man in the International Cricket Council's (ICC) World ODI (One Day International) Team of the Year in 2008.

Saad said: "Butt is an accomplished player with experience that can push the players to the next level. Our team, comprising youth and experienced players, can benefit from Salman's skill sets and he may well be the ingredient that can make us a complete team.

"We think he will bring value and show the path forward for our players to lift their confidence."

Under former coach Dav Whatmore, Singapore won the 2020 Asian Cricket Council Eastern region T20 tournament after defeating Thailand, Malaysia and Hong Kong to finish unbeaten with seven points. Their last fixture against Nepal was abandoned due to rain.

https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/c...ing-head-coach