"IPL Generates More Revenue Than English Premier League": BCCI President Sourav Ganguly


Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 80 of 284
  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    187,727
    Mentioned
    2973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

    "IPL Generates More Revenue Than English Premier League": BCCI President Sourav Ganguly

    The Indian Premier League (IPL) is one of the fastest growing sports tournaments in the world and it enjoys a massive fan following. Every cricketer in the world looks to play in the tournament and fans flock to the stadiums whenever there is a match. Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) President Sourav Ganguly has said that he feels really happy to see the sport he loves evolve so much, and he even went on to say that the IPL generates more revenue than the English Premier League (EPL).

    "I've seen the game evolve, where players like me earned a few hundreds and now have the potential of earning crores. This game is run by the fans, by the people of this country, and by the BCCI, which was formed by cricket fans. This sport is strong and will continue to evolve. The IPL generates more revenue than the English Premier League. It makes me feel happy and proud that the sport I love has evolved to become so strong," said Ganguly at India Leadership Council Event while speaking to Deepak Lamba, CEO, Worldwide Media, President, Times Strategic Solutions Limited.

    The IPL 2022 was held on a bigger scale this year with the addition of two new teams -- Gujarat Titans and Lucknow Super Giants. After a 74-match season, it was the debutants Gujarat Titans who walked away with the title after defeating Rajasthan Royals in the summit clash.

    During the event, Ganguly was also asked about his leadership style. Speaking on the same, he said: "Captaincy, to me, is leading a team on the ground, and leadership, to me, is building a team. So, whether I worked with Sachin, Azhar, or Dravid, I didn't compete with them; instead, I collaborated with them as leaders and shared responsibility."

    On being asked about what's common between being captain and managing BCCI, Sourav replied, "I believe that the common thing is managing individuals. This country has exceptional talent, ranging from young players to young corporate employee. I genuinely believed that if I wanted to be the captain of a successful team, I had to respect my colleagues so that they could become good players, and that it's never the other way around; you can't keep everything to yourself and expect good things to happen; it won't happen."

    Ganguly represented India in 113 Tests and 311 ODIs. He had also led India to the 2003 World Cup final where the side fell short against Australia in the summit clash.


    https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/ipl-...dtv_topstories


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  2. #2
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    40,152
    Mentioned
    496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The game is run by fans in IPL?

    No itís not, itís run by wealthy businessmen lol

  3. #3
    Debut
    Jun 2022
    Runs
    428
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lmao. I call ** on this. For how long anyway??? People I speak with regarding crixket barely tunes in for these crappy t20 ipl games.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    5,489
    Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would love to see the actual numbers behind this, hope they haven't looked at a good weeks numbers and multiplied it by 38 or however long the EPL runs for.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    22,606
    Mentioned
    864 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I was right that both IPL fans and BCCI are try too hard to desperately compare IPL with English Premier League. Since we can't do it in football we are doing it in a sport which is played by handful of countries. IPL is a cheap imitation of EPL with absolutely no fanbase.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    39,583
    Mentioned
    1971 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moeey View Post
    Lmao. I call ** on this. For how long anyway??? People I speak with regarding crixket barely tunes in for these crappy t20 ipl games.
    Per match basis revenue.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    1,825
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, Indians are getting more delusional every day .


    Aanay do!

  8. #8
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    5,102
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Per match basis revenue.
    Just on broadcast revenue and only if you include every match though, rather than how many matches the UK broadcasters are actually paying to broadcast, which seems a bit disingenuous.
    Last edited by HitWicket; 12th June 2022 at 16:30.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    16,905
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As a sport and product, I would rather watch a conference league match then a domestic T20 game.
    But I suppose there is no accounting for taste.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    15,989
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ganguly has a point. Not just in reputation but in terms of global credibility too.

    Fans have started to refer to football matches as terms of IPL games. The most recent Manchester City v Liverpool game was dubbed the Mumbai V Chennai of Football and the commentators during the champions league final referred to it as being nearly as prestigious as Pune V Calcutta.

    If I show my young kids/nephews a picture of Ronaldo they have no clue but they recognise Hardik Pandya and Isan Kishan.

    Times are changing guys, better get used to it because the hype and excitement is going to majorly increase when they start to deliver 2 seasons a year, with each season still lasting 12 months.

    You haters will really froth at the mouth then.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    15,989
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMMY69 View Post
    As a sport and product, I would rather watch a conference league match then a domestic T20 game.
    But I suppose there is no accounting for taste.


    You'd sit through 90 minutes of barnet v yeovil than watch IPL?

    Bro there's not even a sponsored strategy break during those games nor is there shots of cheer leaders or celebrities in the crowd.

    I think you are trolling.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    16,905
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyVenom View Post


    You'd sit through 90 minutes of barnet v yeovil than watch IPL?

    Bro there's not even a sponsored strategy break during those games nor is there shots of cheer leaders or celebrities in the crowd.

    I think you are trolling.
    ��
    You picked the wrong game because I actually live in Barnet and have watched them several times when they were at Underhill ��

  13. #13
    Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    8,562
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyVenom View Post
    Ganguly has a point. Not just in reputation but in terms of global credibility too.

    Fans have started to refer to football matches as terms of IPL games. The most recent Manchester City v Liverpool game was dubbed the Mumbai V Chennai of Football and the commentators during the champions league final referred to it as being nearly as prestigious as Pune V Calcutta.

    If I show my young kids/nephews a picture of Ronaldo they have no clue but they recognise Hardik Pandya and Isan Kishan.

    Times are changing guys, better get used to it because the hype and excitement is going to majorly increase when they start to deliver 2 seasons a year, with each season still lasting 12 months.

    You haters will really froth at the mouth then.
    You forgot to mention the fact that the late Maradona once famously said on the birth of his grandson, ďI really hope he is the next KL RahulĒ!

  14. #14
    Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    853
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    I was right that both IPL fans and BCCI are try too hard to desperately compare IPL with English Premier League. Since we can't do it in football we are doing it in a sport which is played by handful of countries. IPL is a cheap imitation of EPL with absolutely no fanbase.
    All these IPL's and EPL' are cheap imitations of the NFL. What all these *PL's make is peanuts compared to the NFL. By the way the NFL signed a 10 year $100 billion deal.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    9,983
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    EPL exceeds £10B in revenue this year.

    https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...ecord-26199180

    What is the annual revenue of the IPL in 2022 IPL apologist? Present facts, not emotive rhetoric.

    Also nice to see BCCI comparing itís pyjama league with an English league; I guess India will never live down the scars of the empire that put them on the map, given plenty more richer sports league inthe world, but no, had to compare with the English.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,818
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Unreal amount of copium in this thread.

    Here's the fact. A single season of IPL - lasting less than 2 months - is more than 2 times all the Ashes, trashes, WC, WT20, bilaterals, and domestic leagues combined.

    So why wouldn't Ganguly compare IPL with something worthy in other sport than low quality products in cricket - like Ashes and PSL. LMAO!

  17. #17
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    21,280
    Mentioned
    1468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Difference between revenue and profit.

    I wouldnt be surprised if ipl makes more revenue per game... Reason being they have set the proce of their license soo high that broadcasters cant even show highlights or clips.

    Basically, just to make huge amounts of money in the short run, ipl losses out on marketing.

    You cant find any videos of ipl cricketers on youtube.

    Even if epl makes less revenue per match( but more profit on season and per march aswell), epl markets its product well. People have access to clips because epl applies the right price to licenses that people can view the highlights and clips which should have free access because it helps in the marketing.

    Anyways, as usual, after making this post, a nationalist indian fan will try to come in and say, but but but we do have highlights where you pay a fee.... Yes i know, but no one pays for highlights and people prefer free easily access youtube vids


    Pompei is an example of Liberalism gone mad- Technics1210

    And we thought it was plate tectonics

  18. #18
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,818
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    IPL is losing out on marketing because of no highlights on UTube?

    Again, lmao!

  19. #19
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    22,606
    Mentioned
    864 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Can this revenue help India win at least one major ICC tournament now? All this power and money has made both BCCI and some 'time pass' cricket fans arrogant. Especially those fans who like to show off as if it is their own money.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    5,102
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
    Here's the fact. A single season of IPL - lasting less than 2 months - is more than 2 times all the Ashes, trashes, WC, WT20, bilaterals, and domestic leagues combined.
    This is yet another blatantly false claim just like Gangulys.

  21. #21
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    21,280
    Mentioned
    1468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Can this revenue help India win at least one major ICC tournament now? All this power and money has made both BCCI and some 'time pass' cricket fans arrogant. Especially those fans who like to show off as if it is their own money.
    The own money part is hilarious and true.


    Pompei is an example of Liberalism gone mad- Technics1210

    And we thought it was plate tectonics

  22. #22
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    21,280
    Mentioned
    1468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyVenom View Post
    Ganguly has a point. Not just in reputation but in terms of global credibility too.

    Fans have started to refer to football matches as terms of IPL games. The most recent Manchester City v Liverpool game was dubbed the Mumbai V Chennai of Football and the commentators during the champions league final referred to it as being nearly as prestigious as Pune V Calcutta.

    If I show my young kids/nephews a picture of Ronaldo they have no clue but they recognise Hardik Pandya and Isan Kishan.

    Times are changing guys, better get used to it because the hype and excitement is going to majorly increase when they start to deliver 2 seasons a year, with each season still lasting 12 months.

    You haters will really froth at the mouth then.
    I heard football players and fans have started to forego the celebrations of ronaldo and other football players. They are doing the Ravindra Jadeja celebration.

    European children have posters of Varun Chakravarthy in their rooms


    Pompei is an example of Liberalism gone mad- Technics1210

    And we thought it was plate tectonics

  23. #23
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,818
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    This is yet another blatantly false claim just like Gangulys.
    Lol, if at all, I have overestimated the rest of international cricket.

    Latest Cricket Australia broadcast deal for 5 years = less than 1 billion USD that includes entire home season of international cricket plus BBL. Including Ashes.

    IPL for 2 months = Approx 1.2 billion USD

  24. #24
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,818
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    I heard football players and fans have started to forego the celebrations of ronaldo and other football players. They are doing the Ravindra Jadeja celebration.

    European children have posters of Varun Chakravarthy in their rooms
    Ameen ;))

  25. #25
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    22,606
    Mentioned
    864 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
    Unreal amount of copium in this thread.

    Here's the fact. A single season of IPL - lasting less than 2 months - is more than 2 times all the Ashes, trashes, WC, WT20, bilaterals, and domestic leagues combined.

    So why wouldn't Ganguly compare IPL with something worthy in other sport than low quality products in cricket - like Ashes and PSL. LMAO!
    Don't just wave your hands in the air like an IPL cheerleader. OP didn't provide any numbers regarding EPL. I am sure you can.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,818
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cricket Australia has announced a $1 billion plus broadcast deal with Foxtel and Seven West Media, beating out incumbents Network Ten and Nine Entertainment.

    The new six year deal, which includes a dedicated FOX Cricket channel, is worth $1.182b.

    Seven has picked up rights to all home Test matches and some of the Twenty20 Big Bash League, while Foxtel will have rights to broadcast every ball bowled, including simulcasting what is on free to air.
    https://finance.nine.com.au/business...b-d2f6ecb9986c

  27. #27
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,818
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Don't just wave your hands in the air like an IPL cheerleader. OP didn't provide any numbers regarding EPL. I am sure you can.
    Kya number shumber mein locha le rakha hai beedu? IPL dekh aur so ja khatiye pe

  28. #28
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,818
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    LMAO, so the CA deal is for SIX years, not five. And that figure is in aussie dollars.

    So less than 1 billion USD for SIX years. This includes BBL and box office series against ENG and IND.

    And still the whole sum is less than 2 months of IPL.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    5,102
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
    Lol, if at all, I have overestimated the rest of international cricket.

    Latest Cricket Australia broadcast deal for 5 years = less than 1 billion USD that includes entire home season of international cricket plus BBL. Including Ashes.

    IPL for 2 months = Approx 1.2 billion USD
    The most recent ICC broadcasting deal (which was signed 7 years ago and will no doubt go up significantly next year) was worth $2.1bn and the obviously profitable tournaments in that included 2 world cups, 2 T20 world cups, 1 champions trophy and a WTC final. If we assume given their length and status that the world cups and WT20s make up at least 75% of that broadcast deal then with your doubling factor that's already $1.6bn, about the predicted value for a season of the IPL with the new deal. That's before we even add in $1bn+ from the other sources you've listed. Your claim is as blatantly made up as Gangulys.
    Last edited by HitWicket; 13th June 2022 at 13:44.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,818
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    The most recent ICC broadcasting deal (which was signed 7 years ago and will no doubt go up significantly next year) was worth $2.1bn and the obviously profitable tournaments in that included 2 world cups, 2 T20 world cups, 1 champions trophy and a WTC final. If we assume given their length and status that the world cups and WT20s make up at least 75% of that broadcast deal then with your doubling factor that's already $1.6bn, about the predicted value for a season of the IPL with the new deal. That's before we even add in $1bn+ from other sources. Your claim is as blatantly made up as Gangulys.
    You are not the best advertisement for whatever schooling system you attended.

    2 billion USD for 2 WC, 3 WT20, Champions trophy, and WTC over a period of 7 years is ABYSMAL.

    Please feel free to do the math and come up with a revenue figure on an annualized basis. Because you are NOT going to have a World cup every year LMAO. Less than 300 millions. Add annualized sum for ECB and CA and the rest of the crowd - 800 million AT the very best.

    As for your prediction that ICC broadcast right would go up - here's my own prediction. It would go *down* after adjusting for inflation.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,818
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Of course, let us not forget.

    1. It's 2 months of IPL vs 10 months of low quality international cricket

    2. ICC broadcast money is 90 percent on account of Indian market.

    International cricket is unsustainable.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    5,102
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post

    Please feel free to do the math and come up with a revenue figure on an annualized basis. Because you are NOT going to have a World cup every year LMAO. Less than 300 millions. Add annualized sum for ECB and CA and the rest of the crowd - 800 million AT the very best.
    I've ready done the maths relevant to your claim above and pointed out to you that 2x the rights for a world cup and WT20 alone are equal to the predicted annual IPL rights. You very clear claimed:

    "Here's the fact. A single season of IPL - lasting less than 2 months - is more than 2 times all the Ashes, trashes, WC, WT20, bilaterals, and domestic leagues combined."

    The fact that 2x a single world cup and WT20 already match it in value prove this to clearly be a false claim.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Hoshiarpur/Melbourne
    Runs
    3,942
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    Difference between revenue and profit.

    I wouldnt be surprised if ipl makes more revenue per game... Reason being they have set the proce of their license soo high that broadcasters cant even show highlights or clips.

    Basically, just to make huge amounts of money in the short run, ipl losses out on marketing.

    You cant find any videos of ipl cricketers on youtube.

    Even if epl makes less revenue per match( but more profit on season and per march aswell), epl markets its product well. People have access to clips because epl applies the right price to licenses that people can view the highlights and clips which should have free access because it helps in the marketing.

    Anyways, as usual, after making this post, a nationalist indian fan will try to come in and say, but but but we do have highlights where you pay a fee.... Yes i know, but no one pays for highlights and people prefer free easily access youtube vids
    www.iplt20.com here you can watch all highlights for free without any stupid YouTube advertisement. There is a Mobile app as well, again completely free.
    No one is charging any fee for highlights.
    The marketing is done by respective franchises not BCCI nor governing body. At least get your facts straight.


    As general said, this does happen so people have to play the game : Siddique Salik

  34. #34
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,818
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    I've ready done the maths relevant to your claim above and pointed out to you that 2x the rights for a world cup and WT20 alone are equal to the predicted annual IPL rights. You very clear claimed:

    "Here's the fact. A single season of IPL - lasting less than 2 months - is more than 2 times all the Ashes, trashes, WC, WT20, bilaterals, and domestic leagues combined."

    The fact that 2x a single world cup and WT20 already match it in value prove this to clearly be a false claim.
    LMAO, your level of cope is through the roof. Does international cricket have WCs every year? No.

    Here's a step by step instruction for you.

    1. Take the ICC figure for broadcast rights and come up with an annualized figure. It's less than 300 million.

    2. Take the annual revenue of all the board in a calendar year - less than 500 million.

    3. Add both the figures and compare with IPL's annual figure.

    4. LOL


    PS: IPL is for 2 months, international cricket is 10 months with simultaneous matches going on across the globe. ICC broadcast rights would be peanuts without Indian market.

  35. #35
    Debut
    Apr 2022
    Runs
    758
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
    Of course, let us not forget.
    1. It's 2 months of IPL vs 10 months of low quality international cricket
    We'll talk about this when your IPL supa stars stop getting smashed in "low quality international cricket". Your comment reads like a parody.

  36. #36
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    5,102
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
    LMAO, your level of cope is through the roof. Does international cricket have WCs every year? No.

    Here's a step by step instruction for you.

    1. Take the ICC figure for broadcast rights and come up with an annualized figure. It's less than 300 million.
    Why would I do this? Your claim very clearly stated you were talking about the broadcast value of the world cup and WT20, not the annual value of the ICCs entire broadcast deal. Are you now admitting that your original claim was false?


    2. Take the annual revenue of all the board in a calendar year - less than 500 million.
    Oops, another blatantly false claim, better start shifting the goalposts again. The ECB and CAs annual total comes to $410mn. Other boards are harder to dig out the value of but combined will clearly top that up to at least $500mn.


    PS: IPL is for 2 months, international cricket is 10 months with simultaneous matches going on across the globe. ICC broadcast rights would be peanuts without Indian market.
    Not really relevant at all to your original claim or my disproving of it.

  37. #37
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    3,921
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not sure what his actual point is? Anyone with any brains will know any cricket product will never match football (EPL),

    IPL is just a cricketing event which is played between 8 countries with very limited star players and overall tallent. IPL also has a very limited viewership outside of its domestic market and lucky that the most lucrative market is its own to generate the money however it does mean the popularity of IPL is very limited on a global scale.

    The best IPL can do is become the number 1 cricket tournament in subcontinent which thanks to the rivalry between India and Pakistan unlikely to happen anytime soon but that would be its limit if it can ever achieve that.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,818
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why would I do this? Your claim very clearly stated you were talking about the broadcast value of the world cup and WT20, not the annual value of the ICCs entire broadcast deal. Are you now admitting that your original claim was false?
    Why would you do this? Because this is how international cricket exists. Not some fanciful stretch where there is a WC, A Wt20, an Ashes, a champions trophy every year.

    That's why you would do it. And that is what I meant, not your hilarious misinterpretation of my claim lol.



    Oops, another blatantly false claim, better start shifting the goalposts again. The ECB and CAs annual total comes to $410mn. Other boards are harder to dig out the value of but combined will clearly top that up to at least $500mn.
    Please comeback with annual revenue of Pakistan, Saffers, Windies, BD, SL, and NZ. And do provide the source for the 410 million - not that I don't trust it but I'd like to see where you got it from.

    Once again, the whole sum would barely cross 800 millions.





    Not really relevant at all to your original claim or my disproving of it
    On the contrary, it *is* the single most relevant detail. Why? because it shows in stark contrast how unsustainable the window for international cricket is. Generates a revenue twice that of ALL cricket across the globe in a year while played for 2 months against 10.

    The window granted to international cricket and its by and large low quality cricket is not good for cricket's future.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    3,921
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakhs View Post
    Not sure what his actual point is? Anyone with any brains will know any cricket product will never match football (EPL),

    IPL is just a cricketing event which is played between 8 countries with very limited star players and overall tallent. IPL also has a very limited viewership outside of its domestic market and lucky that the most lucrative market is its own to generate the money however it does mean the popularity of IPL is very limited on a global scale.

    The best IPL can do is become the number 1 cricket tournament in subcontinent which thanks to the rivalry between India and Pakistan unlikely to happen anytime soon but that would be its limit if it can ever achieve that.
    To add to the above T20 cricket is not even crickets No. 1 product.

  40. #40
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    5,102
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
    Why would you do this? Because this is how international cricket exists. Not some fanciful stretch where there is a WC, A Wt20, an Ashes, a champions trophy every year.

    That's why you would do it. And that is what I meant, not your hilarious misinterpretation of my claim lol.
    The broadcast value of the World Cup and WT20 is how much money the broadcaster is paying for those tournaments. If the ICC suddenly called off a world cup the 8 year broadcast deal clearly wouldn't just drop by 1/8th of its value, it would drop by the broadcast value of that world cup.


    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
    Please comeback with annual revenue of Pakistan, Saffers, Windies, BD, SL, and NZ. And do provide the source for the 410 million - not that I don't trust it but I'd like to see where you got it from.
    Like I mentioned, these generally aren't readily available however if the ECB and CA can get $410mn it's safe to assume the other 10 full members combined can get $90mn for their rights.

    The ECB broadcast deal is worth £220mn per year and the CA deal is worth $200mn AUD per year. Combined that comes to $410mn USD. Both those figures are readily available online from a wide range of reputable sources, feel free to chuck them in google and have a look

    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
    Once again, the whole sum would barely cross 800 millions.
    Which when doubled comes to $1.6bn, still proving your original claim to be made up nonsense even after the goalpost shifting...?

    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
    On the contrary, it *is* the single most relevant detail. Why? because it shows in stark contrast how unsustainable the window for international cricket is. Generates a revenue twice that of ALL cricket across the globe in a year while played for 2 months against 10.

    The window granted to international cricket and its by and large low quality cricket is not good for cricket's future.
    It's a related point of discussion, but it's not directly relevant to your false claim.

  41. #41
    Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    5,296
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like IPL is the be all and end all for the BCCI now. International cricket and the national team performances are pretty much a distant second priority.

    What they don't realize is that, their golden goose will die out slowly if the Indian team continues to bottle out in every major tournament. The fall in ratings for this year's IPL after a miserable wc exit is a perfect preview of things to come.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    3,921
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesozoic View Post
    Looks like IPL is the be all and end all for the BCCI now. International cricket and the national team performances are pretty much a distant second priority.

    What they don't realize is that, their golden goose will die out slowly if the Indian team continues to bottle out in every major tournament. The fall in ratings for this year's IPL after a miserable wc exit is a perfect preview of things to come.
    India will never be an undisputed No.1 team in the World for long periods due to physical and economic limitations of the countries general population. BCCI wants to make IPL independent to Indian international performances which no one should blame them for doing as they have a right to promote their product.

    I do think in the next 10 years IPL will become bigger and have its own identity but that will be limited to Indian audience only as in the 11/12 years of the IPL one things has remained constant that the popularity if IPL outside of India has not grown. Obviously this does not impact the IPL financially much since most of the money in cricket comes from India anyway but does reduces its global reach.

    Again the best I can see it happening is that IPL becomes a household name in the subcontinent countries with huge following similar to say EPL in the world specially in Europe and Africa. However I dont see that happening anytime soon either with Pakistan India relations being how they are and Bangladesh fans going away from India too as their economy improves.

  43. #43
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,818
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The broadcast value of the World Cup and WT20 is how much money the broadcaster is paying for those tournaments. If the ICC suddenly called off a world cup the 8 year broadcast deal clearly wouldn't just drop by 1/8th of its value, it would drop by the broadcast value of that world cup.
    This word salad does not even make sense. ICC got a sum of 2 billion USD for a period of 7 years after guaranteeing a certain number of world events. So clearly, there would be years where the ICC would make more to make up for dry years without any world events.

    Given the above, the way to calculate is to annualize the revenue which comes to 300 million. Which part about this is making you so confused?

    LOL


    Like I mentioned, these generally aren't readily available however if the ECB and CA can get $410mn it's safe to assume the other 10 full members combined can get $90mn for their rights.
    Yes, and that's what I said that the combined annual revenue of all the boards would roughly come to 500 million USD.


    Which when doubled comes to $1.6bn, still proving your original claim to be made up nonsense even after the goalpost shifting...?
    Oh dear

    So your massive win over me in this thread is that 800 million generated by all of international and domestic cricket is not exactly half of IPL's 1.2 billion USD?

    You absolute superstar! LMAO!



    It's a related point of discussion, but it's not directly relevant to your false claim
    Related and relevant. Because nobody compares oranges to apples. You want an apple to apple comparison then it stands to reason that a league limited to 2 months cannot be rationally compared to international cricket played all year round. How's this not directly relevant? LOL

  44. #44
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    39,583
    Mentioned
    1971 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    This is yet another blatantly false claim just like Gangulys.
    IPL rights have touched 5.8 bn USD already. Its likely to go up further.

    And these are only TV rights. Central sponsors, Individual team sponsors, ground sponsors, tickets etc are extra.

    So what he said isn't far off from the truth.

    Infact it wont surprise me if IPL media rights alone surpass the combined media rights of ICC plus all boards. In the last cycle

    IPL media rights were 2.55bn for 5 years

    ICC 2.5bn for 8 years

    CA 918 mn for 6 years includes all cricket

    ECB 1.35bn usd for 5 years includes all cricket

    Rest all boards put together may struggle to touch 200 mn may be.

    Like BCB rights are worth only 19mn for 3 years.

    PCB after falling flat with their 200mn claim now dont even reveal the amount.

    So do the maths.
    Last edited by cricketjoshila; 13th June 2022 at 15:07.

  45. #45
    Debut
    Oct 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    1,252
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesozoic View Post
    Looks like IPL is the be all and end all for the BCCI now. International cricket and the national team performances are pretty much a distant second priority.

    What they don't realize is that, their golden goose will die out slowly if the Indian team continues to bottle out in every major tournament. The fall in ratings for this year's IPL after a miserable wc exit is a perfect preview of things to come.
    If cricket dies in India, we can assume that that is the end of the world cricket as we know, barring Ashes.

  46. #46
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    39,583
    Mentioned
    1971 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    IPL rights have touched 5.8 bn USD already. Its likely to go up further.

    And these are only TV rights. Central sponsors, Individual team sponsors, ground sponsors, tickets etc are extra.

    So what he said isn't far off from the truth.

    Infact it wont surprise me if IPL media rights alone surpass the combined media rights of ICC plus all boards. In the last cycle

    IPL media rights were 2.55bn for 5 years

    ICC 2.5bn for 8 years

    CA 918 mn for 6 years includes all cricket

    ECB 1.35bn usd for 5 years includes all cricket

    Rest all boards put together may struggle to touch 200 mn may be.

    Like BCB rights are worth only 19mn for 3 years.

    PCB after falling flat with their 200mn claim now dont even reveal the amount.

    So do the maths.
    ICC is 2bn not 2.5bn.

  47. #47
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    3,921
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
    This word salad does not even make sense. ICC got a sum of 2 billion USD for a period of 7 years after guaranteeing a certain number of world events. So clearly, there would be years where the ICC would make more to make up for dry years without any world events.

    Given the above, the way to calculate is to annualize the revenue which comes to 300 million. Which part about this is making you so confused?

    LOL




    Yes, and that's what I said that the combined annual revenue of all the boards would roughly come to 500 million USD.




    Oh dear

    So your massive win over me in this thread is that 800 million generated by all of international and domestic cricket is not exactly half of IPL's 1.2 billion USD?

    You absolute superstar! LMAO!





    Related and relevant. Because nobody compares oranges to apples. You want an apple to apple comparison then it stands to reason that a league limited to 2 months cannot be rationally compared to international cricket played all year round. How's this not directly relevant? LOL
    You are clearly an IPL blind fan and probably think IPL is better than football world cup etc. However have you considered if IPL was a 9 month / year round tournament? It would suffer massively in terms of per match revenue etc.

    Another thing is that IPL currently does not generate any revenue or external income for the Indian economy which one day likely to come under the government radar. Indeed if the IPL is extended to say 9 months a year and ever oversees players to be Paid the big money for 9 month that's a lot of dollars going out of the country which will be detected by the Indian government similar to what happened in China with football.

  48. #48
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    39,583
    Mentioned
    1971 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    I've ready done the maths relevant to your claim above and pointed out to you that 2x the rights for a world cup and WT20 alone are equal to the predicted annual IPL rights. You very clear claimed:

    "Here's the fact. A single season of IPL - lasting less than 2 months - is more than 2 times all the Ashes, trashes, WC, WT20, bilaterals, and domestic leagues combined."

    The fact that 2x a single world cup and WT20 already match it in value prove this to clearly be a false claim.
    2 bn over 8 years match 2.55 bn over 5 years?

    How?

  49. #49
    Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    5,296
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakhs View Post
    India will never be an undisputed No.1 team in the World for long periods due to physical and economic limitations of the countries general population. BCCI wants to make IPL independent to Indian international performances which no one should blame them for doing as they have a right to promote their product.

    I do think in the next 10 years IPL will become bigger and have its own identity but that will be limited to Indian audience only as in the 11/12 years of the IPL one things has remained constant that the popularity if IPL outside of India has not grown. Obviously this does not impact the IPL financially much since most of the money in cricket comes from India anyway but does reduces its global reach.

    Overwhelming majority of the Indian fans that watch IPL care way more about the Indian team than they do about their favorite IPL teams. Of course there's a significant number of those who exclusively follow the IPL but have no interest in int'l cricket, but they are just a loud minority.

    Viewership will go down drastically if most of them lose interest in the national team and international cricket. With bilaterals becoming more and more inconsequential, India winning zilch in big tournaments and with the eventual retirements of big names (Dhoni, Kohli, Rohit etc), BCCI have a very thin rope to tread on.

  50. #50
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    5,102
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
    This word salad does not even make sense. ICC got a sum of 2 billion USD for a period of 7 years after guaranteeing a certain number of world events. So clearly, there would be years where the ICC would make more to make up for dry years without any world events.

    Given the above, the way to calculate is to annualize the revenue which comes to 300 million. Which part about this is making you so confused?
    No confusion at all here, you very clearly in your original post referred to the broadcast value of the WC and WT20, not the ICCs average annual broadcast income, 2 very different things. The value of a world cup and WT20 is clearly greater than 1/7th of the total broadcast deal.

    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
    -
    I'm not looking for any kind of "win" here, all I've done is point out that, even after your goalpost shifting, what you're claiming as "fact" is in fact no where close to being true, just like Ganguly has done. I'm sure most would appreciate it if you could stick to the truth in the future rather than posting whatever made up nonsense you've concocted in your head.

  51. #51
    Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    5,489
    Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyVenom View Post
    Ganguly has a point. Not just in reputation but in terms of global credibility too.

    Fans have started to refer to football matches as terms of IPL games. The most recent Manchester City v Liverpool game was dubbed the Mumbai V Chennai of Football and the commentators during the champions league final referred to it as being nearly as prestigious as Pune V Calcutta.

    If I show my young kids/nephews a picture of Ronaldo they have no clue but they recognise Hardik Pandya and Isan Kishan.

    Times are changing guys, better get used to it because the hype and excitement is going to majorly increase when they start to deliver 2 seasons a year, with each season still lasting 12 months.

    You haters will really froth at the mouth then.
    Where these indian commentators? i can assure you anyone outside of India would stuggle to pronounce Pune vs Calcutta let alone know they were rivals. One minute Mumbai vs Chennai is Elclassico another cringe rivalry stolen from football, next minute Man city vs liverpool is on par

    IPL is a good product in its own right dont get me wrong, but lets stop these delusional comparisons with a global product thats been running for 20+ years, how much do China or Middle east pay for IPL rights? compare that with EPL.

  52. #52
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    39,583
    Mentioned
    1971 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakhs View Post
    You are clearly an IPL blind fan and probably think IPL is better than football world cup etc. However have you considered if IPL was a 9 month / year round tournament? It would suffer massively in terms of per match revenue etc.

    Another thing is that IPL currently does not generate any revenue or external income for the Indian economy which one day likely to come under the government radar. Indeed if the IPL is extended to say 9 months a year and ever oversees players to be Paid the big money for 9 month that's a lot of dollars going out of the country which will be detected by the Indian government similar to what happened in China with football.
    Who told you IPL doesn't generate revenues for the Indian economy?

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fin.../1025063/lite/

    This is way back from 2018 and data from 2014-15.

    IPL is not a illegal money transfer organization that outflow of dollars will be unknown to the government.

  53. #53
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    39,583
    Mentioned
    1971 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silentkiller187 View Post
    Where these indian commentators? i can assure you anyone outside of India would stuggle to pronounce Pune vs Calcutta let alone know they were rivals. One minute Mumbai vs Chennai is Elclassico another cringe rivalry stolen from football, next minute Man city vs liverpool is on par

    IPL is a good product in its own right dont get me wrong, but lets stop these delusional comparisons with a global product thats been running for 20+ years, how much do China or Middle east pay for IPL rights? compare that with EPL.
    Still IPL rights on per match basis are going for $15mn and counting.

  54. #54
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    39,583
    Mentioned
    1971 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    No confusion at all here, you very clearly in your original post referred to the broadcast value of the WC and WT20, not the ICCs average annual broadcast income, 2 very different things. The value of a world cup and WT20 is clearly greater than 1/7th of the total broadcast deal.



    I'm not looking for any kind of "win" here, all I've done is point out that, even after your goalpost shifting, what you're claiming as "fact" is in fact no where close to being true, just like Ganguly has done. I'm sure most would appreciate it if you could stick to the truth in the future rather than posting whatever made up nonsense you've concocted in your head.
    No its not even 1/7th.

    First of all the rights Sold in 2014 were for 8 years.

    Covering 2015 to 2023. It includes 18 ICC tournaments. Not 7 or 8.

    What Ganguly has said has been corroborated by media. EPL gets 13mn per match. IPL 15mn plus in broadcast rights

    No amount of crying and whining is going to change that
    Last edited by cricketjoshila; 13th June 2022 at 15:20.

  55. #55
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    3,921
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    IPL rights have touched 5.8 bn USD already. Its likely to go up further.

    And these are only TV rights. Central sponsors, Individual team sponsors, ground sponsors, tickets etc are extra.

    So what he said isn't far off from the truth.

    Infact it wont surprise me if IPL media rights alone surpass the combined media rights of ICC plus all boards. In the last cycle

    IPL media rights were 2.55bn for 5 years

    ICC 2.5bn for 8 years

    CA 918 mn for 6 years includes all cricket

    ECB 1.35bn usd for 5 years includes all cricket

    Rest all boards put together may struggle to touch 200 mn may be.

    Like BCB rights are worth only 19mn for 3 years.

    PCB after falling flat with their 200mn claim now dont even reveal the amount.

    So do the maths.
    Am I missing something? IPL right were sold for 5 years for 2.55 bn so where does 5.8bn figure comes from? Just as a point of comparison EPL right were sold for over 10bn for 3 years only.

    EPL has to compete with many other sports such as cricket, rugby, NFL, Baseball and many other sports internationally. IPL current has no competition in India and has no International market.

    In terms of comparing it to other Cricketing tournaments, Cricket outside of India and subcontinent is largely irrelevant and largely based around Ashes. Which also limits IPL reach and potential as it will only ever be reliant on Indian domestic market and revenue. Even if it does become popular in other countries it has nothing to gain financially from it.

  56. #56
    Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    5,489
    Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Still IPL rights on per match basis are going for $15mn and counting.
    Thats all well and good, and i am happy for india and IPL, however it doesnt hide the fact that Gangulys statment was very delusional.

  57. #57
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    3,921
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Who told you IPL doesn't generate revenues for the Indian economy?

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fin.../1025063/lite/

    This is way back from 2018 and data from 2014-15.

    IPL is not a illegal money transfer organization that outflow of dollars will be unknown to the government.
    You have taken my words literally of course any sporting event would produce revenue for the local economy but what I meant to say is most of the money comes from within India and there can only be so much dollars going out of the country before the Indian government will decide to put on a cap.

  58. #58
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    39,583
    Mentioned
    1971 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakhs View Post
    You have taken my words literally of course any sporting event would produce revenue for the local economy but what I meant to say is most of the money comes from within India and there can only be so much dollars going out of the country before the Indian government will decide to put on a cap.
    Has the Indian government told you this or is this your made up view?

  59. #59
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,818
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No confusion at all here, you very clearly in your original post referred to the broadcast value of the WC and WT20, not the ICCs average annual broadcast income, 2 very different things. The value of a world cup and WT20 is clearly greater than 1/7th of the total broadcast deal.
    Lots of confusion, on the contrary. In order to cope, you built up a case where ICC hosts a WC, a WT20, A champions trophy in one calendar year.

    I, on the other hand, live in real world and compare things as they exists. Not your make believe world. So when I compare 2 months of IPL with all of international cricket, including the WCs and what have you, I do not mean a fictional scenario like you concocted.

    But I understand you have to cope. And therefore cook up a comparison that's absurd from the start.



    I'm not looking for any kind of "win" here, all I've done is point out that, even after your goalpost shifting, what you're claiming as "fact" is in fact no where close to being true, just like Ganguly has done. I'm sure most would appreciate it if you could stick to the truth in the future rather than posting whatever made up nonsense you've concocted in your head.
    Nah, not fooling me. You are totally sniveling around for a win and that to based on dreaming up fantastical scenarios where international cricket hosts a WC, a WT20, an Ashes, champions trophy, and a WTC final - all in one year. This is the level of dishonesty you bring to table to cope and claim a win. LMAO.

    Unfortunately, my original claim stands. 2 months of IPL > all of international cricket including PSL, BBL, the 100, Ashes, trashes, WCs, WT20s, ...fill in the rest.

  60. #60
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    5,102
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Still IPL rights on per match basis are going for $15mn and counting.
    Source on this please? Cricinfo are reporting that the rights have just sold for just under $5bn (with the potential for a challenge on one of the packages). Between 410 games that comes to just over $12mn per game. Going back to the original claim that's well under the EPL rights on total and also less on a per game basis.

  61. #61
    Debut
    May 2010
    Runs
    573
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BCCI stands to earn USD 14 MN per match. Just to compare, PSL earns USD 12 million for a whole season.

  62. #62
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    3,921
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Correction

    EPL matches are 11.xx per game.

    IPL has already hit 15mn.

    Anyone having issues with that can complain to Cricinfo.

    https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/i...so-far-1319628
    No one has a problem but the actual fact is that EPL has a current broadcasting deal of over 10bn for 3 years and the corresponding figure is 2.55bn for 5 years for IPL.

    Ofcourse this does not include many other sponsors, revenue etc that EPL generates or individual club generates.

    Moving away from the financials which ofcourse does not benefit the general populations / fans in anyway. EPL is played over 90mins of proper football where IPL is a T20 tournament which is not even best form of cricket. T20 is generally consider 3rd in terms of importance of winning etc in world cricket with 50 over WC being pinnacle of ICC tournament due to be taken over by ICC test championship final in few years time.

  63. #63
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,818
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    Source on this please? Cricinfo are reporting that the rights have just sold for just under $5bn (with the potential for a challenge on one of the packages). Between 410 games that comes to just over $12mn per game. Going back to the original claim that's well under the EPL rights on total and also less on a per game basis.
    The first 3 season are 74 games each. Option to expand to 96 games in the last two seasons. Cricinfo bases its calculation on all seasons being 74 matches.

    The total value stands at 5.6 billion USD at the moment with digital rights still being worked out.

  64. #64
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    3,921
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    BCCI stands to earn USD 14 MN per match. Just to compare, PSL earns USD 12 million for a whole season.
    This is not a bad figure for PSL tbh

  65. #65
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    3,921
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Has the Indian government told you this or is this your made up view?
    This is based on what happened in China which is a bigger economy and can sustain the loss of foreign reserves better than India.

    Ofcourse it may not happen but I see this happening very easily.

  66. #66
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    3,921
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesozoic View Post
    Overwhelming majority of the Indian fans that watch IPL care way more about the Indian team than they do about their favorite IPL teams. Of course there's a significant number of those who exclusively follow the IPL but have no interest in int'l cricket, but they are just a loud minority.

    Viewership will go down drastically if most of them lose interest in the national team and international cricket. With bilaterals becoming more and more inconsequential, India winning zilch in big tournaments and with the eventual retirements of big names (Dhoni, Kohli, Rohit etc), BCCI have a very thin rope to tread on.
    I disagree to an extent that India will always produce superstars in cricket so retirements of Dhoni and Co wont matter so much. I do agree that most Indian fans care about international cricket more than IPL and may even be watching IPL with interest of which player can be picked to make Indian team better.

    However IPL popularity wont suffer in India for few reasons most important being IPL being only source of entertainment of majority of Indian population for those months at-least.

    India is not a first world country where people will have multiple option for entertainment such as holidays to other countries etc. They will continue to watch. Maybe your point will be valid for the upper classes.

  67. #67
    Debut
    May 2010
    Runs
    573
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakhs View Post
    This is not a bad figure for PSL tbh
    Not at all, given the Pak economy and stuff. Stull lags IPL by atleast 100 times.

  68. #68
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    3,921
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Not at all, given the Pak economy and stuff. Stull lags IPL by atleast 100 times.
    Given the Pak economy, population etc compared with India.

  69. #69
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    5,102
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
    Unfortunately, my original claim stands. 2 months of IPL > all of international cricket including PSL, BBL, the 100, Ashes, trashes, WCs, WT20s, ...fill in the rest.
    Haha, yet another movement of the goalposts I see. For those that need reminding, this was infact the posters original claim:

    "Here's the fact. A single season of IPL - lasting less than 2 months - is more than 2 times all the Ashes, trashes, WC, WT20, bilaterals, and domestic leagues combined."

    Since then they've had to swap out the WC and WT20 from their claim and replaced it with the average annual ICC broadcast revenue, and you'll also notice that the "more than 2 times" has completely disappeared!

  70. #70
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    5,102
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila

    Correction

    EPL matches are 11.xx per game.

    IPL has already hit 15mn.

    Anyone having issues with that can complain to Cricinfo.
    Again, a source on the 15mn for the broadcast deal please? The EPL 11.xx figure is just a poorly researched calculation from Cricinfo on the assumption that the UK deal includes all games, which it doesn't.

  71. #71
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    39,583
    Mentioned
    1971 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakhs View Post
    This is not a bad figure for PSL tbh
    Its a very poor figure. That money is distributed among 6 teams and PCB. How much is the share?

  72. #72
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    39,583
    Mentioned
    1971 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    Again, a source on the 15mn for the broadcast deal please? The EPL 11.xx figure is just a poorly researched calculation from Cricinfo on the assumption that the UK deal includes all games, which it doesn't.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/timesof...g/92171553.cms

    Here.

    The auction is still on. The current price stands at 107.5cr INR.

    Just because it doesn't suit your agenda, one of the most credible sport websites is now doing poor research.

  73. #73
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,818
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    Haha, yet another movement of the goalposts I see. For those that need reminding, this was infact the posters original claim:

    "Here's the fact. A single season of IPL - lasting less than 2 months - is more than 2 times all the Ashes, trashes, WC, WT20, bilaterals, and domestic leagues combined."

    Since then they've had to swap out the WC and WT20 from their claim and replaced it with the average annual ICC broadcast revenue, and you'll also notice that the "more than 2 times" has completely disappeared!
    I think you can totally take the win that more than 2 times is not accurate. Although it makes me laugh you are worked up over a casual claim like I sat down and worked it out with exact and precise numbers. Like I said, you scored a massive win there

    The rest of the claim is intact, the goalpost is still there. All you need to do is sit still, and do the calculations based on real world numbers.

    I mean, there's no getting away from this brute fact

    2 months of IPL = 5 years of ENG cricket/6 years of AUS cricket.

    Chew on that.

  74. #74
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    3,921
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Its a very poor figure. That money is distributed among 6 teams and PCB. How much is the share?
    Its more than I was expecting specially its only been two season since PSL has been played at home.

  75. #75
    Debut
    Jun 2022
    Runs
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "paisa bolta hai"..!!

  76. #76
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    3,921
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/timesof...g/92171553.cms

    Here.

    The auction is still on. The current price stands at 107.5cr INR.

    Just because it doesn't suit your agenda, one of the most credible sport websites is now doing poor research.
    Its true not all games are released as part of the over all package and some games are bought on a monthly basis.

    However nobody in their right mind will compare EPL to IPL anyway. Indian fans will come across as extremely desperate if they were to argue this to English fans in England.

    IPL for what its is a domestic product with little to no international following and not even played in the least important cricket format (T20) have done well to come as far as it has so lets not belittle it as something that needs a constant validation of getting compared to EPL most of its members wont even know what cricket is and how its played.

  77. #77
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    5,102
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/timesof...g/92171553.cms

    Here.

    The auction is still on. The current price stands at 107.5cr INR.
    So we're just adding on extra 7 figure (in $s) numbers to the actual reported figure now...?

    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Just because it doesn't suit your agenda, one of the most credible sport websites is now doing poor research.
    The value of the premier league's domestic and international broadcast deal are readily available and so are the number of games they include. Some basic maths off of that will show you that Cricinfo clearly haven't done their calculation right/are including games that aren't part of the relevant broadcast deal.

  78. #78
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    5,102
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post

    2 months of IPL = 5 years of ENG cricket/6 years of AUS cricket.

    Chew on that.
    Finally, thank you! See, posting real facts rather than ones you've completely made up isn't that hard now is it.

  79. #79
    Debut
    Jun 2022
    Runs
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Viacom 18 Bags IPL Digital Rights For India

    BTW VIACOM 18 is owned by Mukesh Ambani's Reliance, the Owner of Mumbai Indians

  80. #80
    Debut
    Apr 2022
    Runs
    758
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    BCCI stands to earn USD 14 MN per match. Just to compare, PSL earns USD 12 million for a whole season.
    You do realize that the $12 million figure you are quoting is the profit PCB claims to have generated from PSL in 2022, right? It isn't the total revenue. It is likely that you simply googled "PSL revenue" and clicked on the first article that popped up which contained the following paragraph "The Pakistan Cricket Board has ended up with bumper profits of PKR 2.3 billion (USD 11,941,400 approx.) as a result of organizing PSL-7 this year."

    You are knowingly spreading false news. It would be even worse if you didn't know that the news you were sharing was obviously false because it would tell you a lot about your comprehension and reasoning skills. I know you're biased but let's try to stay in the realm of reality with our claims.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •