"Take a look in the mirror Umar!!" : Mickey Arthur responds to Umar Akmal's comments

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2939 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

"Take a look in the mirror Umar!!" : Mickey Arthur responds to Umar Akmal's comments

==

Middle-order batsman Umar Akmal has lashed out against former Pakistan head coaches Mickey Arthur and Waqar Younis, claiming that he was robbed off of the opportunity to represent Pakistan on the international stage for an extended period due to their bias against him.

Speaking to local media, Umar Akmal labeled both Arthur and Waqar as "unprofessional."

"Mickey Arthur had personal issues with me but the team management at that time did not raise a voice for me and they have been silent till today. However, Mickey Arthur later did admit that he used harsh words on me," Akmal said.

"I am among those rare cricketers of Pakistan who have been ignored at every turn," he said.

Akmal further added that he requested Imran Khan to talk to management regarding his batting position during the 2016 World Cup.

"I asked Imran Khan to recommend team management to send me at number three. Imran Khan himself asked Waqar Younis why I was not a part of the top-order," Akmal said.

The 32-year-old praised Waqar Younis for his career but remained critical of his management style.

"Waqar Younis was a legendary fast bowler but I could not understand him as a head coach," he added.

CricketPakistan

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umar Akmal needs to stop posing as a professional cricketer now, itís frankly become quite embarrassing. His lack of hunger was the main reason for his downfall.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Mickey Arthur actually ignored Umar on purpose, then it is the best thing he has ever done in his professional career.

Well done Mickey.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well he's correct on Waqar

one of the worse coaches in the history of any sport
    just took his $ and enjoyed it

that being said Akmal was mistreated
    thrown all over when he should been the top order but that bias from the top to the bottom of the pcb

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Theres only one person to blame for Umar Akmals poor career and thats Umar Akmal himself

His poor work ethic, brain fades and general low IQ are the reason why his career is in tatters today

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    Theres only one person to blame for Umar Akmals poor career and thats Umar Akmal himself

His poor work ethic, brain fades and general low IQ are the reason why his career is in tatters today
    Two people.

Kamran shoulders some blame too.

He indulged his brothers fantasties, probably because he shared them. If he really had his best interests at heart he would have slapped him and told him to shape up.

A low IQ person surrounded and advised by other dummies is just a recipe for disaster

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2939 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Think Umar's realized its over - so setting himself for a future YouTube channel now...

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember watching his maiden 100 at Dunedin and thinking what a wonderful player is this guy. He had everything but less guidance and also his own massive follies. Just a supreme wasted talents.
    One of my Pak friends pointed out that Babar Azam is cousin of Akmals. Wow, i hope he does not go the Akmal way and continues being focussed on hard work to be successful.

Debut
    Nov 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrIc_Mystique View Post
    I remember watching his maiden 100 at Dunedin and thinking what a wonderful player is this guy. He had everything but less guidance and also his own massive follies. Just a supreme wasted talents.
    One of my Pak friends pointed out that Babar Azam is cousin of Akmals. Wow, i hope he does not go the Akmal way and continues being focussed on hard work to be successful.
    If Babar was anything like his cousins, he would have fallen by the way side long time ago. He is a different breed altogether.

The Akmals were supremely talented but also had this sense of entitlement as if playing for Pakistan was their birthright. Very unprofessional and immature. They cost us many games and series and I am glad Mickey and Waqar didnt let this clown stick around for very long.

Kut khani hai to aa jao idher, khushbo laga ke!

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It was Misbah and Waqar who ruined his career. They gave him just one test in UAE and made him bat at six in ODIs.

PCB are also responsible for not referring him to psychiatrist to ensure he's of sound mind. As mentioned by Najam Sethi, his epilepsy and overall health definitely contributed to his behavioural issues.

A more professional environment would have done more to support him rather than give up on him. A competent cricket board would never have allowed the likes of Misbah and Waqar at the helm.

Easy to lash out on Mickey because he's a foreigner.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post

"Waqar Younis was a legendary fast bowler but I could not understand him as a head coach," he added.
    Well i can definitely believe this part lol

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    It was Misbah and Waqar who ruined his career. They gave him just one test in UAE and made him bat at six in ODIs.

PCB are also responsible for not referring him to psychiatrist to ensure he's of sound mind. As mentioned by Najam Sethi, his epilepsy and overall health definitely contributed to his behavioural issues.

A more professional environment would have done more to support him rather than give up on him. A competent cricket board would never have allowed the likes of Misbah and Waqar at the helm.

Easy to lash out on Mickey because he's a foreigner.
    Lol are Misbah and Waqar health professionals? Who are they to say who needs a psychiatrist? Lol who you are to say that?

I do agree that number 6 was never a position where Umar was going to thrive. I just don't understand why he was never given the opportunity to bat in the top 3 with a license to thrill.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post
    Lol are Misbah and Waqar health professionals? Who are they to say who needs a psychiatrist? Lol who you are to say that?

I do agree that number 6 was never a position where Umar was going to thrive. I just don't understand why he was never given the opportunity to bat in the top 3 with a license to thrill.
    These issues are obviously above the paygrade for Misbah/Waqar.

If you read my post properly, I actually blamed the PCB for how his health and behavioural issues were being managed, which were made apparent by Najam Sethi who was head of PCB prior to 2019.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Difference between Babar and Umar. One knew he had the talent but also knew he had to work hard for it and only he himself could take himself to the top.

Umar, identified as the next huge thing in Pakistan, seemed like an entitled player who wanted others to work around him and looking at his fitness or attitude it didn't seem like he felt he needed to work hard.

Am not saying Umar would be same as Babar if he'd worked hard but in his early days he did seem like a prospect with great potential but the hype I think it just went too much into his head.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyVenom View Post
    Two people.

Kamran shoulders some blame too.

He indulged his brothers fantasties, probably because he shared them. If he really had his best interests at heart he would have slapped him and told him to shape up.

A low IQ person surrounded and advised by other dummies is just a recipe for disaster
    To be very honest with you, the ones to be blamed are the fans and offcourse umar himself.

Umar made his debut during a time when Pakistan cricket was at its lowest. No new batter was coming in, with the oldies hanging in.

When we saw umars cuts and shots going for fours we all got excited. However, i called it during his first year that this guy has a hbait of throwing away his wicket. He has 0 game sense.

People think he regressed but the truth is he always the same player he was. He didnt improve or regress.

His fitness was never top notch, he had the shots but in cricket the answer is not always 4s but also strike rotation. The guy couldnt run.

His batting position excuse and coaches excuse kept on going on...

Fans than also overhyped him as the next best thing .....

He had the potential to be what Babar is today, but he couldnt improve.

Had Babar been a bewakoof individual he would also eventually become an umar akmal. But babar being the eldest cricketer amongest his brother meant he didnt had to rely on some other brother but to do his work himself.

I am proud of what babar has achieved till now and has overcome the void we fans had when we were seeing kohli, smith, root and williamson rise, while we had umar akmal to show for only...

The first and only PM of Pakistan to lose the peoples confidence = Imran Khan

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    What could have been.

Should and could have played hundreds and hundreds of times for Pakistan scoring many thousands of runs.

If anyone needs information on a career gone wrong, this is it.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4820 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    What could have been.

Should and could have played hundreds and hundreds of times for Pakistan scoring many thousands of runs.

If anyone needs information on a career gone wrong, this is it.
    He just had such a low IQ sadly, never felt he should put in the yards to get better even if he was mismanaged at times.

But we can apply this to so many Pakistani batsman, look promising then fade due to x, y or z.

Mickey did well to revive Pakistanís batting capability and modernised their approach in the limited form. The top order is generally stable at least.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umar has not done justice to himself; that is public knowledge and no one disputes that.

However, it is unfair to absolve some other folks of blame as they also took some very dubious decisions regarding his career.

Umar was unfairly dropped from the test team. This was when he had an impressive average and had played some knocks that would otherwise buy anyone else multiple years of free-ride in Pak team! This was under Misbah's captaincy and the reason given was that he plays too too irresponsibly - a ridiculous reason as he, even while being "irresponsible", was scoring more runs than most batsmen in the format! Misbah wanted to see the approach that he's familiar with and did not care for the outcome or results!

Umar should have been given a consistent run at number 3 after the knocks he played in Sri Lanka. He was never a slogger and sending him at lower down the order made him a complete legside hack!

With professional man-managers and those who understood the game, we could've seen a very prosperous career for this guy.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post

And he implicated himself into spot fixing by giving bizzare statements. Which earned him a ban. That was stupid at whole new level.

If only Umar had half the brain to go with his talent, he would have been a superstar.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Talent is nothing without hard work, dedication, improving, staying grounded and learning from your mistakes

Umar Akmal like many other young pakistani batters thought he made it, stopped improving and learning and the brights light got to him

thankfully babar didnt pay any notice or copy the shenanigans of his elder cousins who despite having the talent were busy in making excuses living a celeb life and and pointing the finger at others for their own failures

like a poster said senior akmal is also at fault for indulging his little brothers excuses and not telling him in no uncertain terms to sort himself out but to be fair K Akmal is the same breed as his brother someone who stopped working hard got complacent and lazy
    Last edited by Zaz; 16th June 2022 at 02:15.

If pakistan cricket is to move forward they need to stop going back

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Umar has not done justice to himself; that is public knowledge and no one disputes that.

However, it is unfair to absolve some other folks of blame as they also took some very dubious decisions regarding his career.

Umar was unfairly dropped from the test team. This was when he had an impressive average and had played some knocks that would otherwise buy anyone else multiple years of free-ride in Pak team! This was under Misbah's captaincy and the reason given was that he plays too too irresponsibly - a ridiculous reason as he, even while being "irresponsible", was scoring more runs than most batsmen in the format! Misbah wanted to see the approach that he's familiar with and did not care for the outcome or results!

Umar should have been given a consistent run at number 3 after the knocks he played in Sri Lanka. He was never a slogger and sending him at lower down the order made him a complete legside hack!

With professional man-managers and those who understood the game, we could've seen a very prosperous career for this guy.
    Mate nothing is handed to you on a silver plate.
    Younis Khan was dropped after his first few tests, same with Misbah.
    Even saeed Anwer was dropped as were many players from different countries.

These players brushed themselves down and let their bats do the talking.
    No one can keep you out if you perform and have the right attitude.

Everything else is just excuses.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umar like Kamran Akmal deserved to be booted out of the team. Another one who was always unfit, didn't score heavily enough and lacked discipline. He thought he was an automatic choice where he would always be in the side. Here's hoping this is the end of these Akmal's in the Pak side permanently.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    still remember this dude averaged 80 in his debut season, s/r of 90 odd, absolutely crazy statistics. but lets not forget he averaged 35 when he was permanently dropped, and 12 of his 13 tests were outside of asia.

he went crazy in the latter part of his career, but his test dropping was premature, he could have been a solid number 5 under yk and misbah, he was fit, had shown glimpses of batting prowess far beyond azhar and asad, and never got a stable run in familiar conditions.

the crazy truth is had he had a strike rate of 40 rather than 65 he pbly wouldn't have been dropped.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People come up with all sorts of excuses for Umar Akmal. But the reality is that there is mainly only one person to blame for his failed career, and thats Umar Akmal himself.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The biggest problem here was Kamran. He was entitled and overrated to a level not seen before or after.

Yes he played some 'exciting' shots, but in the history of our cricket we didn't have a worse performing batsman who was given so many chances. On top of that, he was the worst keeper in international cricket, dropping sitters regularly and losing us games. But despite all this, he was given a free reign because:

- 'There are no alternatives'
    - 'He is talented'
    - 'He started his career with a bang and could have been like Gilchrist, this is just a prolonged period of bad form'
    - 'It's difficult to keep in England'
    etc etc etc

Umar was badly behaved from his u19 days with numerous problems and then had this as a guiding force. Once he played a couple of great innings at the beginning, he assumed he could coast just like his older brother and have his 'talent' and 'name' carry him.

Akmals are a cancer for our team and its so refreshing to see the newer generation.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There will be people on Mickey's side, some will be on Umar's, some will put blame on both, but one thing all would agree on is "Umar is an idiot"

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7769 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElRaja View Post
    still remember this dude averaged 80 in his debut season, s/r of 90 odd, absolutely crazy statistics. but lets not forget he averaged 35 when he was permanently dropped, and 12 of his 13 tests were outside of asia.

he went crazy in the latter part of his career, but his test dropping was premature, he could have been a solid number 5 under yk and misbah, he was fit, had shown glimpses of batting prowess far beyond azhar and asad, and never got a stable run in familiar conditions.

the crazy truth is had he had a strike rate of 40 rather than 65 he pbly wouldn't have been dropped.
    Umar didnít deserve to be dropped from Tests based on numbers, but what cost him his place was not the lack of runs but the mode of dismissals.

He kept getting out by playing T20 shots, and his final appearance saw him get out to an ugly slog against South Africa in the UAE. It was Misbahís first series as captain, and it was enough for him to conclude that Umar was mentally unfit to be a Test player.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Umar didn’t deserve to be dropped from Tests based on numbers, but what cost him his place was not the lack of runs but the mode of dismissals.

He kept getting out by playing T20 shots, and his final appearance saw him get out to an ugly slog against South Africa in the UAE. It was Misbah’s first series as captain, and it was enough for him to conclude that Umar was mentally unfit to be a Test player.
    exactly my point, guys like asad and azhar got way more leeway because they got out playing defensive shots.

in the matches umar played and averaged 35 over, azhar averaged 34, yousuf 32, misbah 39, he was petulant, and had bad shot selection, but his output wasn't that bad, he just threw away 3 or 4 starts in his last 3 or 4 tests.

stats for other players in matches umar played

pak are still trying to recover from that mindset of only having defensive players in the test line up.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Paris
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Umar didnít deserve to be dropped from Tests based on numbers, but what cost him his place was not the lack of runs but the mode of dismissals.

He kept getting out by playing T20 shots, and his final appearance saw him get out to an ugly slog against South Africa in the UAE. It was Misbahís first series as captain, and it was enough for him to conclude that Umar was mentally unfit to be a Test player.
    As always Misbah misjudged the situation and backed Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq for 10 years.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElRaja View Post

Spot on. Misbah always had a thing for shy defensive batsmen.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    To be very honest with you, the ones to be blamed are the fans and offcourse umar himself.

Umar made his debut during a time when Pakistan cricket was at its lowest. No new batter was coming in, with the oldies hanging in.

When we saw umars cuts and shots going for fours we all got excited. However, i called it during his first year that this guy has a hbait of throwing away his wicket. He has 0 game sense.

People think he regressed but the truth is he always the same player he was. He didnt improve or regress.

His fitness was never top notch, he had the shots but in cricket the answer is not always 4s but also strike rotation. The guy couldnt run.

His batting position excuse and coaches excuse kept on going on...

Fans than also overhyped him as the next best thing .....

He had the potential to be what Babar is today, but he couldnt improve.

Had Babar been a bewakoof individual he would also eventually become an umar akmal. But babar being the eldest cricketer amongest his brother meant he didnt had to rely on some other brother but to do his work himself.

I am proud of what babar has achieved till now and has overcome the void we fans had when we were seeing kohli, smith, root and williamson rise, while we had umar akmal to show for only...
    I remembered this when I read your post saying "The guy (Umar Akmal) couldn't run"
    https://youtu.be/o0GsPZngu_A

Excellent example of when a 35y old misbah has better fitness than 24y old Umar and why Umar is to blame for his own downfall