[VIDEO] "Offer the right terms & the likes of Andy Flower will work for Pakistan": Yasir Arafat

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

[VIDEO] "Offer the right terms & the likes of Andy Flower will work for Pakistan": Yasir Arafat

Yasir Arafat reviews the 1st Test between Pakistan and England, looks at what went wrong for Pakistan, areas of improvement and changes that Pakistan cricket needs to make to compete with the best.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    qudrat ka nizaam hi hamari kismat mein hai... aur clueless kuptaan...

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    535 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Why Andy Flower though? Surely we have other alternatives.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A wooden plank would be more effective than Saqlain.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    He gave example of Flower but he also mentioned Justin Langer/Tom Moody and said that the way we deal with our foreign coaches like Mickey have sent a wrong message to the outside world about how we treat them.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    The Mickey Arthur and Steve Rixon episodes might put some foreign coaches off working for the national team perhaps?

I can't imagine Rixon having too many nice things to say about the PCB after the debacle involving him.

The likes of Moody, Flower etc will want huge salaries too I guess - will PCB want to pay up?

Click here to access........The PakPassion Gallery | PakPassion Articles | The Exclusive Interviews Section | History of PakPassion | The Talent Spotter Section

To Follow Me on Twitter click here: @SajSadiqCricket

To Follow Me on Youtube click here: SajSadiqCricket

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    535 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    The Mickey Arthur and Steve Rixon episodes might put some foreign coaches off working for the national team perhaps?

I can't imagine Rixon having too many nice things to say about the PCB after the debacle involving him.

The likes of Moody, Flower etc will want huge salaries too I guess - will PCB want to pay up?
    Surely the PCB can pay around $600,000-$650,000 per annum. They need to increase from their current $250,000 per annum

The BCCI pays $1.2 million per year

Cricket Australia and ECB pay $550,000-$600,000 per annum.

Debut
    Jul 2022
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saqi is absolutely useless. U need someone with fire in the belly and a modern approach to the game.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8077 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Iím surprised that Ramiz has stuck with Saqlain for so long. He clearly doesnít fit the brand & profile Ramiz is trying to build.

I fully expect him to go after a big name foreign coach soon.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ABD or T Moody would be my choice , we have to change our red ball game & try to follow the English template

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Savvy local coach with foreign coaching experience. Iíd say Mushtaq Ahmed because he understands both English and Pakistan cricket.
    if not, then an experienced Foreign coach hands down.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Who are they? Beggars can't be choosers.

Pakistan doesn't have the profile nor the funds to attract the top tier coaches like Langer, Ponting and etc.

But we deserve this for the way we treated Mickey Arthur, who had his flaws but nonetheless was a million times better than unqualified coaches like Misbah and Saqlain.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    PCB should swallow their pride and apologise to Mickey Arthur (and Steve Rixon if he's also available) then give them their jobs back with a 30-50% pay rise.

Misbah should make a public apology for ousting him.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    885 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirpur express View Post
    ABD or T Moody would be my choice , we have to change our red ball game & try to follow the English template
    You need toplay with your own strengths , not copy others.

Pakistan shouldprepare turning pitches in home conditions.

Fear the Creator ..... not the created.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    885 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SalimBhai View Post
    Saqi is absolutely useless. U need someone with fire in the belly and a modern approach to the game.
    He is not useless , but he should be used where he can do something. He is not fit to be head coach , use him as a spin consultant .

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    885 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    PCB should swallow their pride and apologise to Mickey Arthur (and Steve Rixon if he's also available) then give them their jobs back with a 30-50% pay rise.

Rixon himself is good enough to be a head coach.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    I’m surprised that Ramiz has stuck with Saqlain for so long. He clearly doesn’t fit the brand & profile Ramiz is trying to build.

His contract is up in a couple of months. I'm guessing they would have had to pay him off if they got rid of him sooner.

Click here to access........The PakPassion Gallery | PakPassion Articles | The Exclusive Interviews Section | History of PakPassion | The Talent Spotter Section

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Iím surprised that Ramiz has stuck with Saqlain for so long. He clearly doesnít fit the brand & profile Ramiz is trying to build.

Indeed im expecting that too.. Saqi himself knows that and rightly so not renewing the contract citing personal reasons..

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post

Misbah such a nightmare to happen for Pakistan cricket.. People can argue he got them out of the shame after the fixing fiasco but also to blame for his defensive approach towards the game, sacking MA and sitting on top of that, and wasting the potential players and destroying their careers for sake of friendship and also nourishing seniority culture ahead of talent and skill...

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    His contract is up in a couple of months. I'm guessing they would have had to pay him off if they got rid of him sooner.
    Did they start hunting for a renowned head coach yet... I rmb Ramiz brought in Woolmer which was his Master stroke till now..

Who is he eyeing at..

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I’m surprised that Ramiz has stuck with Saqlain for so long. He clearly doesn’t fit the brand & profile Ramiz is trying to build.

Don't think Saqlain will go anytime soon. Most likely if we win series against NZ, he will get extension. Ramiz did same after 2021 World Cup failure but kept Saqlain till now. Also, PCB has lack of money to attract foreign coaches.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ask_analyse_act View Post
    Did they start hunting for a renowned head coach yet... I rmb Ramiz brought in Woolmer which was his Master stroke till now..

Who is he eyeing at..
    They did same talk last year but then again kept Saqlain. Ramiz is all talk but good for nothing when it comes to action.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shafi View Post
    They did same talk last year but then again kept Saqlain. Ramiz is all talk but good for nothing when it comes to action.
    Saqlain is not renewing the contract due to personal/family reasons... His contract could be extended till 2023 CWC if PCB begs him and if he accepts...

If not and if Ramiz wants to save money he might promote Yousuf as interim head coach till end of 2023 CWC in India

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dont see anyone in the line to coach this mediocre bunch..

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Saqlain is not renewing the contract due to personal/family reasons... His contract could be extended till 2023 CWC if PCB begs him and if he accepts...

If not and if Ramiz wants to save money he might promote Yousuf as interim head coach till end of 2023 CWC in India
    This is most likely excuse to leave job with honour rather than kick. If we end up any of 1 win in next 3 tests Saqlain will get extension. But Ramiz needs to be kicked out due to his tall talks and do nothing.

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We should be looking at the coaching team that are the best and paying them big money to sort it out!

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thephenom View Post
    We should be looking at the coaching team that are the best and paying them big money to sort it out!
    Don't think PCB has that's sort of money or top coaches are not interested to come in Pakistan.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)

Saqlain resides in the UK so it's more than likely that the issue is family time and having to spend a lot of time in Pakistan away from the family.

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Yasir Arafat speaking on TV

"There were so many controversies. Considering his post, he should have acted like a leader. Instead he was fighting with media, with cricketers, getting involved in selection and pitches. He should oversee such matters instead of getting involved in petty issues."

“You say that a cricketer shouldn't face such ill-treatment, but what was he doing for the one and half years when he held the position. Why didn't he make a rule that there won't be any political interference"

“Ab rone ka koi fayada nahi.” (There's no point crying now)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    As we can see with the Mickey Arthur saga - the right terms are essential for people to consider this position

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    602 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Andy Flower should stick to his franchise gigs

no thank you for the Pakistan job

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Yasir Arafat speaking on TV

"There were so many controversies. Considering his post, he should have acted like a leader. Instead he was fighting with media, with cricketers, getting involved in selection and pitches. He should oversee such matters instead of getting involved in petty issues."

“You say that a cricketer shouldn't face such ill-treatment, but what was he doing for the one and half years when he held the position. Why didn't he make a rule that there won't be any political interference"

“Ab rone ka koi fayada nahi.” (There's no point crying now)
    Who is Arafat refering to ?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Who is Arafat refering to ?
    Ramiz Raja.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Andy Flower should stick to his franchise gigs

no thank you for the Pakistan job
    As they say beggars cant be choosers.. If Saqi's replacement is Andy Flower would you not be happy..

MA plugged the holes and try to fill the gaps in ODI cricket..

Pakistan team started scoring 300 more consistently ( say no. of times) under MA compared to their struggle to score 200 and 250s during Misbah's tenure..

the same team was stuggling to put 200 under Misbah captaincy 2 years ago and also during his time as coach, struggling to score 300.. shows Misbah's influence
    Last edited by MenInG; 12th January 2023 at 19:25.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

==

Maybe Yasir Arafat can also be considered for a role

Last edited by MenInG; 18th January 2023 at 15:08.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Make Yasir Arafat coach!

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have mentioned many times , we should engage him in some coaching assignment , not a bad choice foralso as national team coach . He has extensive experience of Pakistan's domestic cricket and international crictet. As a bowling allrounder he can help both bowlers and batters.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Make Arafat an assistant coach under certain high profile elite coach like Andy, Hesson, Moody, Mickey, Gillespie, Domingo etc. before trying as head coach...

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    535 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The biggest stigma against Pakistani coaches is that they are not tactically astute, proactive and as strict on fitness, game plans, strategy vs their gora counterparts.

Saqlain was a highly qualified ECB trained coach but he with his Kudrat ka nizam attitude and disastrous results with the Pakistani team ultimately gave a bad name to Pakistani coaches and in the end he will be used as a reference point as to why one should never appoint a Pakistani coach.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    The biggest stigma against Pakistani coaches is that they are not tactically astute, proactive and as strict on fitness, game plans, strategy vs their gora counterparts.

Saqlain was a highly qualified ECB trained coach but he with his Kudrat ka nizam attitude and disastrous results with the Pakistani team ultimately gave a bad name to Pakistani coaches and in the end he will be used as a reference point as to why one should never appoint a Pakistani coach.
    Saqlain highly qualified?

I don't think so.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can be a decent candidate as bowling coach. Doesn't have a lot of experience at senior level (Had couple of stints with Surrey as bowling consultant) but has done quite a bit of work at junior level in England.

In terms of his own basics was a good bowler despite some natural limitations and one would say he was not given the opportunities he could have been especially in the 2010s where he could have definitely played more cricket over some of the other pacers. 700+ FC wickets along with 7000+ runs in no mean feat.