Mickey Arthur remains PCB's first choice as Head Coach


Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 80 of 373
  1. #1
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    91,596
    Mentioned
    2298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)

    Mickey Arthur remains PCB's first choice as Head Coach

    Najam Sethi has recently made it clear that he wants an overseas coach to take over the reigns as Pakistan Head Coach.

    PCB is keen to look at Mickey Arthur regarding the role of Head Coach. He is currently their number one choice. Options are being looked at with talks likely to take place in the new year.

    The complication is that Mickey has a contract with Derbyshire which the County will of course want him to honour.

    I guess it all depends whether Derbyshire would allow Arthur to split his time between working in County Cricket and his international commitments.


    Click here to access........The PakPassion Gallery | PakPassion Articles | The Exclusive Interviews Section | History of PakPassion | The Talent Spotter Section

    To Follow Me on Twitter click here: @SajSadiqCricket

    To Follow Me on Youtube click here: SajSadiqCricket

  2. #2
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    26,339
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    This might not be a bad idea as this bunch is a good set of lads. Not sure ge will get tge support he wants from the selection committee though.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    610
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mickey would be good for white ball cricket coach but not test matches. His record for Pakistan & Sri Lanka for test matches was pretty poor.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    19,410
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    We lost test series against NZ and SL in UAE under Micky

  5. #5
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Runs
    726
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Najam Sethi has recently made it clear that he wants an overseas coach to take over the reigns as Pakistan Head Coach.

    PCB is keen to look at Mickey Arthur regarding the role of Head Coach. He is currently their number one choice. Options are being looked at with talks likely to take place in the new year.

    The complication is that Mickey has a contract with Derbyshire which the County will of course want him to honour.

    I guess it all depends whether Derbyshire would allow Arthur to split his time between working in County Cricket and his international commitments.
    While Mickey is an upgrade on Saqlain, that is a low bar, Mickey Arthur was good with pushing youth thourh but results weren't good under him. We went into CT2017 and WC2019 without knowning our best X1, you can criticise Saqlain for the same for WC2022.

    We need to look beyond Mickey Arthur and not settle for the first foreigner who is available. Need someone like Katich, Hussey or Flower for our team. Mickey is a gora version of Saqlain, with slightly more coaching pedigree.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    14,117
    Mentioned
    960 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    PCB really does love the environment regardless of who comes to power. They just keep recycling.

    The PTI chairman will bring back the same people he likes.

    PML N chairman will do the same.

    Rinse and repeat. No one new.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    197,495
    Mentioned
    3023 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Let's stay on topic please.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  8. #8
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    14,117
    Mentioned
    960 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muqarrab View Post
    While Mickey is an upgrade on Saqlain, that is a low bar, Mickey Arthur was good with pushing youth thourh but results weren't good under him. We went into CT2017 and WC2019 without knowning our best X1, you can criticise Saqlain for the same for WC2022.

    We need to look beyond Mickey Arthur and not settle for the first foreigner who is available. Need someone like Katich, Hussey or Flower for our team. Mickey is a gora version of Saqlain, with slightly more coaching pedigree.
    Exactly. Fans are desperate to get anyone but Saqlain, which is understandable since Saqlain has done an awful job.

    But we shouldn’t settle for the last foreign guy we tried. We had some pretty bad ODI and test results under him CT17 aside.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    39,419
    Mentioned
    1348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    I'd prefer Andy Flower but while I'm not generally a fan of recycling old names, Mickey was unfairly removed in 2019 and deserved at least another year.

    Our white ball teams were a shambles when Mickey took charge in 2016, tottering at 9th and 7th in ODI and T20 rankings. Our approach was dated and were in danger of not even qualifying for 2017 CT and 2019 WC.

    Mickey got the team fitter (although standards lapsed towards the end), we fielded like demons under his assistant Rixon, and our mindset totally changed resulting in our first ICC 50 over trophy since 1992. The number of 300+ and 160+ scores in ODIs and T20s increased significantly. Our finish to the 2019 WC was strong and showed a glimpse of the future.

    Working with Inzamam and Sarfraz, he introduced a raft of fresh faces - many of whom are still playing today - and Babar owes his Test career to Mickey who stuck with him despite a poor start. Shaheen Afridi and Shadab Khan also came up under him.

    Yes the SL and NZ losses were disappointing - you can thank the gutless coward who just retired and his best mate who couldn't complete two simple chases for that. Mickey's responsible for not retiring them sooner. However we drew twice in ENG away and beat WI away for first time. Given time, the Test team could've been salvaged.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Sep 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    3,345
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mickey should never have been let go of. I hope he is the new coach but now that he has other obligations Iím not so sure if this would be feasible for him.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Sep 2022
    Runs
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Najam Sethi has recently made it clear that he wants an overseas coach to take over the reigns as Pakistan Head Coach.

    PCB is keen to look at Mickey Arthur regarding the role of Head Coach. He is currently their number one choice. Options are being looked at with talks likely to take place in the new year.

    The complication is that Mickey has a contract with Derbyshire which the County will of course want him to honour.

    I guess it all depends whether Derbyshire would allow Arthur to split his time between working in County Cricket and his international commitments.
    What? If Mickey Arthur has to be with Pak team.. he should be fully devoted to Pakistan team..rather than his time split between Pak and Derbyshire.. why should our head coach be split between our team and a county? If he wants to coach..he should fully devote himself to Pak

  12. #12
    Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    110,518
    Mentioned
    694 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Pakistan need split coaches i think, plain and simple the way pakistan try and play test cricket and white ball cricket needs two different type of implementors i think.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    9,688
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wrong move to remove him when he was nearly done building the new look ODI team

    Post 2019 and after Malik and Hafeez are gone he would have transformed them into a formidable side.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    103,460
    Mentioned
    885 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Mickey had his time , now PCB needs to move on and get in other applicants . No need to lick what you have spit. Get some other coach , no need of big names , get someone who can do the job.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    2,159
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real challenge is that the tier-1 coaches that are really established and are very good at their trades are probably not interested in working with Cricket board like PCB. They make equal or perhaps more money working with the IPL and some other T20 league and working for less than 6 months a year then they would with working with PCB for one full year. Another big challenge is how the Pakistani x cricketers tend to go after foreign coaches with the help of Karachi media mafia. Every single strategic decision of the foreign coach is criticized over and over again and then the matters of the foreign coach going back to see his family is discussed over and over again along with the the salary and other compensation benefits. So keeping that in mind why would a tier one foreign coach be interested in working with PCB, That is beyond me.


    An ideal world we should go for an Australian coach, they have absolutely no nonsense approach towards Cricket and our cricketers no matter how good cricketers they are they tend to respect Australians and can produce good results under them.

    I would love to get Justin langer who probably would cost a lot of money but you have to also consider that he has something to prove now after he got sacked by Australian cricket board (this would be ironic because we got Mickey Arthur couple of years after he too was sacked by the Australian cricket board and he seemed very determined to give good results with his next big assignment). So getting Justin would be really awesome.


    But there is still hope, PCB should focus on highly talented and driven tier 2 foreign coaches (these would not be the big cricketers in their playing days (unlike Pointing, Justin, Moody, Fleming, flower) but these guys would still have very good skills that can be utilized with the Pakistani talented cricketers to produce some good results. There are two challenges that I see going for such coach, number one recruiting them would require PCB to spend a lot of time and energy and analyzing the performances of these coaches on their current assignments and I don't see PCB as an organization that will make the effort that is required to recruit these guys because PCB likely will not do the hard work of reviewing such candidates. Another reason PCB is less likely to go for these slightly less known coaches is because they are afraid of how their own country media will treat them and they will make an issue by painting this (PCB going for a less known international coach) as a failure of PCB so just so that they don't get that treatment from Pakistani media they are less likely to go for it.

    I personally would not mind a lesser known foreign coach to be involved in Pakistani setup, In case PCBs unable to get Justin or flower or any other big name..

  16. #16
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    7,950
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justcrazy View Post
    Mickey had his time , now PCB needs to move on and get in other applicants . No need to lick what you have spit. Get some other coach , no need of big names , get someone who can do the job.
    Not really, he got removed in a shady manner before he got time to put things right. There is unfinished business there.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    3,738
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shah_1 View Post
    We lost test series against NZ and SL in UAE under Micky
    common sense is not that common when it comes to PCB We tend to forget everything what happens in past as we believe in Recycle Bin

  18. #18
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    3,738
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
    Not really, he got removed in a shady manner before he got time to put things right. There is unfinished business there.
    True!!!!losing test series against Zim is there ....

  19. #19
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    5,742
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Stuart Law please.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    609
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Paul Nixon, currently at Sindh, would be an interesting shout.

  21. #21
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Runs
    726
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
    The real challenge is that the tier-1 coaches that are really established and are very good at their trades are probably not interested in working with Cricket board like PCB. They make equal or perhaps more money working with the IPL and some other T20 league and working for less than 6 months a year then they would with working with PCB for one full year. Another big challenge is how the Pakistani x cricketers tend to go after foreign coaches with the help of Karachi media mafia. Every single strategic decision of the foreign coach is criticized over and over again and then the matters of the foreign coach going back to see his family is discussed over and over again along with the the salary and other compensation benefits. So keeping that in mind why would a tier one foreign coach be interested in working with PCB, That is beyond me.


    An ideal world we should go for an Australian coach, they have absolutely no nonsense approach towards Cricket and our cricketers no matter how good cricketers they are they tend to respect Australians and can produce good results under them.

    I would love to get Justin langer who probably would cost a lot of money but you have to also consider that he has something to prove now after he got sacked by Australian cricket board (this would be ironic because we got Mickey Arthur couple of years after he too was sacked by the Australian cricket board and he seemed very determined to give good results with his next big assignment). So getting Justin would be really awesome.


    But there is still hope, PCB should focus on highly talented and driven tier 2 foreign coaches (these would not be the big cricketers in their playing days (unlike Pointing, Justin, Moody, Fleming, flower) but these guys would still have very good skills that can be utilized with the Pakistani talented cricketers to produce some good results. There are two challenges that I see going for such coach, number one recruiting them would require PCB to spend a lot of time and energy and analyzing the performances of these coaches on their current assignments and I don't see PCB as an organization that will make the effort that is required to recruit these guys because PCB likely will not do the hard work of reviewing such candidates. Another reason PCB is less likely to go for these slightly less known coaches is because they are afraid of how their own country media will treat them and they will make an issue by painting this (PCB going for a less known international coach) as a failure of PCB so just so that they don't get that treatment from Pakistani media they are less likely to go for it.

    I personally would not mind a lesser known foreign coach to be involved in Pakistani setup, In case PCBs unable to get Justin or flower or any other big name..
    Really like the driven tier 2coaches bit, thats our best bet. We can't afford tier1 coaches and we shouldn't settle for washed up pros like Micket.

    Jason Gillespie would be interesting.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Runs
    726
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
    Not really, he got removed in a shady manner before he got time to put things right. There is unfinished business there.
    He wasn't taking that good a care of business when he was chucked out, he may have unfinished business, but pretty sure we are live without it.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Sep 2022
    Runs
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apart from Mickey Arthur..who are the other options being looked at by PCB ? If Mickey Arthur declines for whatever reason..which others are in priority list? @Saj

  24. #24
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    45,358
    Mentioned
    602 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Farah Sohail View Post
    Apart from Mickey Arthur..who are the other options being looked at by PCB ? If Mickey Arthur declines for whatever reason..which others are in priority list? @Saj
    Misbah is usually vela for Pakistan job

  25. #25
    Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    1,841
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    IMO someone like Jayawardene or Sangakkara are presently the best candidates for coaching Pakistan.

    But it's almost impossible to convince them to leave their luctative jobs in various leagues and join an unreliable organisation like PCB.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    12,391
    Mentioned
    1621 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I would take Mickey back in a heartbeat. He should have never been removed in the first place.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    8,861
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    average coach, but its obvious no one really wants to work for the PCB, anyone with an iota of awareness knows that u can be sacked anytime. no coach worth their salt, barring langer, who doesn't fit into the more softer modern coaching methods, is likely to say yes to the PCB. its a tier-2 job compared to leagues and big 3 coaching positions.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    103,460
    Mentioned
    885 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
    Not really, he got removed in a shady manner before he got time to put things right. There is unfinished business there.
    Bringing back same person is not something that is desirable , Mickey is better than currect coaches but Pakistan need to see other options as well. There are better coaches than Mickey.

  29. #29
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    3,495
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he is a likable fellow but extremely overrated. He was an abysmal coach for Tests and didn't even have basics understanding like using two spinners on UAE pitches. They home fortress was breached by a mediocre Sri Lanka team and lost a close series to a good NZ team. Looked to be on their way to losing the series vs Aussies too until Fakhar played a brilliant knock in the first innings to save them and help win the match & series.

    As for ODI's, they got demolished in England/Australia/NZ and winning a combined 2 matches out of 19 in those conditions if I remember correctly (4-1 in 2016 vs England, 4-0 vs England 2019, 4-1 vs Australia in 2017, 5-0 vs NZ in 2018). Got whitewashed in UAE too vs Aussies prior to 2019 WC too.

    The championship trophy win in the middle was his saving grace otherwise he probably would have been gone prior to 2019 WC. Some nonsense decisions too in the WC like going with all pace attack vs a team suited to attack pace in Australia and then using Shadab/Imad vs India, a team well suited to handle spinners. The persistence with Asif Ali throughout his tenure was strange, especially in ODI's.

    It didn't seem like he used analytics much or looked at matchup situation based on his decisions. Personally, I don't think he is a good coach and Pakistan can find someone better.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Runs
    10,669
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasty Naz View Post
    I think he is a likable fellow but extremely overrated. He was an abysmal coach for Tests and didn't even have basics understanding like using two spinners on UAE pitches. They home fortress was breached by a mediocre Sri Lanka team and lost a close series to a good NZ team. Looked to be on their way to losing the series vs Aussies too until Fakhar played a brilliant knock in the first innings to save them and help win the match & series.

    As for ODI's, they got demolished in England/Australia/NZ and winning a combined 2 matches out of 19 in those conditions if I remember correctly (4-1 in 2016 vs England, 4-0 vs England 2019, 4-1 vs Australia in 2017, 5-0 vs NZ in 2018). Got whitewashed in UAE too vs Aussies prior to 2019 WC too.

    The championship trophy win in the middle was his saving grace otherwise he probably would have been gone prior to 2019 WC. Some nonsense decisions too in the WC like going with all pace attack vs a team suited to attack pace in Australia and then using Shadab/Imad vs India, a team well suited to handle spinners. The persistence with Asif Ali throughout his tenure was strange, especially in ODI's.

    It didn't seem like he used analytics much or looked at matchup situation based on his decisions. Personally, I don't think he is a good coach and Pakistan can find someone better.
    Good points but he's still better than 'Qudrat Saqi'.

    So unless Langer or Ponting are knocking on the door he's a decent option.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would Mickey want to coach Pakistan again given how he was kicked out?

  32. #32
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    3,495
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GLORY OF '92 View Post
    Good points but he's still better than 'Qudrat Saqi'.

    So unless Langer or Ponting are knocking on the door he's a decent option.
    Without a doubt. Saqlain is an even dumber coach but if the goal is to try to take Pakistan to being a top tier team, I think the goal should be to aim higher.

    That's what they should really be doing through these PSL leagues, hiring smart young bright minded coaches and grooming them to eventually take over head coach duties.

  33. #33
    Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    956
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasty Naz View Post
    I think he is a likable fellow but extremely overrated. He was an abysmal coach for Tests and didn't even have basics understanding like using two spinners on UAE pitches. They home fortress was breached by a mediocre Sri Lanka team and lost a close series to a good NZ team. Looked to be on their way to losing the series vs Aussies too until Fakhar played a brilliant knock in the first innings to save them and help win the match & series.

    As for ODI's, they got demolished in England/Australia/NZ and winning a combined 2 matches out of 19 in those conditions if I remember correctly (4-1 in 2016 vs England, 4-0 vs England 2019, 4-1 vs Australia in 2017, 5-0 vs NZ in 2018). Got whitewashed in UAE too vs Aussies prior to 2019 WC too.

    The championship trophy win in the middle was his saving grace otherwise he probably would have been gone prior to 2019 WC. Some nonsense decisions too in the WC like going with all pace attack vs a team suited to attack pace in Australia and then using Shadab/Imad vs India, a team well suited to handle spinners. The persistence with Asif Ali throughout his tenure was strange, especially in ODI's.

    It didn't seem like he used analytics much or looked at matchup situation based on his decisions. Personally, I don't think he is a good coach and Pakistan can find someone better.
    Whilst I largely agree with you, itís also relevant to mention that the talent pool he was working with, in both batting and bowling, was actually shocking.

    If he gets the role now, there are more seasoned performers, and a new batch of youngsters (Mo Haris, Saim, Arafat Minhas, Hurraira, Mubasir, even Haider) that he can work with and improve. For all his faults, I thought Mickey was key in cultivating Babarís talent, and I think he could do similar with the younger talent.

    All that said, I do think , similar to yourself, that PCB needs to be more ambitious in its appointment.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Feb 2022
    Runs
    77
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good! We don’t need misbah ever as coach!

  35. #35
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    97,925
    Mentioned
    8075 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    I'd prefer Andy Flower but while I'm not generally a fan of recycling old names, Mickey was unfairly removed in 2019 and deserved at least another year.

    Our white ball teams were a shambles when Mickey took charge in 2016, tottering at 9th and 7th in ODI and T20 rankings. Our approach was dated and were in danger of not even qualifying for 2017 CT and 2019 WC.

    Mickey got the team fitter (although standards lapsed towards the end), we fielded like demons under his assistant Rixon, and our mindset totally changed resulting in our first ICC 50 over trophy since 1992. The number of 300+ and 160+ scores in ODIs and T20s increased significantly. Our finish to the 2019 WC was strong and showed a glimpse of the future.

    Working with Inzamam and Sarfraz, he introduced a raft of fresh faces - many of whom are still playing today - and Babar owes his Test career to Mickey who stuck with him despite a poor start. Shaheen Afridi and Shadab Khan also came up under him.

    Yes the SL and NZ losses were disappointing - you can thank the gutless coward who just retired and his best mate who couldn't complete two simple chases for that. Mickey's responsible for not retiring them sooner. However we drew twice in ENG away and beat WI away for first time. Given time, the Test team could've been salvaged.
    Pakistan lost 24 of its last 34 ODI under Mickey, failed to qualify for the World Cup semifinals in spite of getting the best possible preparation among all teams & lost the last two T20I series as well.

    In addition, they were a joke in Test cricket as well, losing consecutive home series to SL & NZ & getting whitewashed in SA.

    It is incredible how Mickey pulled the wool over the eyes of so many fans & fooled them into thinking that he was a good coach who was taking the team forward, produced results & should not have been sacked.

    Mickey & Sarfraz could not recover from the 2018 Asia Cup humiliation. Pakistan team was still in 2017 Champions Trophy celebration mode & had completely ignored the warning signs in NZ in Jan 2018 when Pakistan got blanked 5-0.

    It was put down to poor preparation because the team falsely believed that they were untouchable after the Champions Trophy.

    The level of arrogance & delusion was extremely high among the squad, the likes of Sarfraz were openly stating that India were scared of playing them, Hassan Ali was acting like an idiot on the border etc., before the team got a brutal reality check in the 2018 Asia Cup in UAE & they were in free fall.

    Mickey could do nothing to resist the decline. He was helpless & he deserved to be sacked. He took the team as far as he could.

    PCB under the moronic leadership of Mani & Wasim completely botched the succession process & were guilty of clear conflict of interest when they allowed Misbah, his eventual successor, to be a part of the panel that decided his fate.

    However, that does not change the fact that Mickey deserves to get the boot. You cannot vouch for a coach with such an embarrassing W/L ratio over a 6-7 month period.

  36. #36
    Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    15,369
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Leech like Saqlain will never the leave the job. He would stay another 2-3 years. Don't fall his fake saga that he wants to give time to his business. This guy is a cunning fraud and PCB should ban this guy to have anything with Pakistan Cricket.

  37. #37
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    97,925
    Mentioned
    8075 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Mickey’s greatest achievements were the following:

    Having the trust of Pakistani fans in spite of losing 24 of his last 34 ODIs, 3 consecutive Test series & his last 2 T20I series.

    Pakistan had the the third worst NRR among 10 teams in the World Cup.

    Pakistan went into the World Cup as the best prepared team in the world - they had the luxury of having a 5 match ODI series with England in England right before the World Cup - a luxury they did not deserve.

    Every team in the world would have loved such preparation, but not Mickey. After being beaten black & blue in that series, Pakistan got shot for 103 in the opener against the West Indies which completely destroyed Pakistan’s NRR & left Pakistan at the mercy of other teams.

    Basically, Pakistan had one foot out of the door right after the first match. It needed a lot of things to go their way to qualify from that point & thankfully they didn’t.

    The World Cup performance was mediocre at best, the performance leading into the World Cup was minnow level. Pakistani fans either suffer from collective amnesia or Mickey found a way to con them either through his statements or through some other means.

    Or perhaps, Misbah replacing him made them forget how pathetic & clueless Mickey was.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    15,369
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Just heard "Justin Langer" is also PCB's foreign coach list.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    473
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mickey arthur looks to be a step back. Guys who started under him are now intl stars. If any difference of opinion occurs, then they will be at logger heads. This is not the same Babar who was playing under Misbah, Sarfaraz. He has his own ways set, and likes his team to go about it his way.

  40. #40
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    1,804
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be interesting to see if the senile Sethi goes ahead and brings back Micky. For all the shots taken at previous administrators, this would be an extremely dumb move and cement Sethiís place as nothing more than a Shehbaz bootlicker.

  41. #41
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    91,596
    Mentioned
    2298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Concerned View Post
    Why would Mickey want to coach Pakistan again given how he was kicked out?
    He does. And it will happen if Derbyshire are ok with it.


    Click here to access........The PakPassion Gallery | PakPassion Articles | The Exclusive Interviews Section | History of PakPassion | The Talent Spotter Section

    To Follow Me on Twitter click here: @SajSadiqCricket

    To Follow Me on Youtube click here: SajSadiqCricket

  42. #42
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    5,782
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shafi View Post
    Leech like Saqlain will never the leave the job. He would stay another 2-3 years. Don't fall his fake saga that he wants to give time to his business. This guy is a cunning fraud and PCB should ban this guy to have anything with Pakistan Cricket.
    You need to come back to reality and catch up with current news.

  43. #43
    Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    956
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    He does. And it will happen if Derbyshire are ok with it.
    The PCB are in no position to buy out Mickeyís Derbyshire contract, so itís on Derby to play nice.

    I like Mickey, but if he gets hired, itís like weíre in a time capsule from 2016. I would have preferred a more ambitious, out of the box appointment.

  44. #44
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    19,320
    Mentioned
    910 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    What a horrible thinking, IF TRUE!

    I think people have short memories.

    Not only was bad for PAK,

    He also proved to be embarrasingly bad for Sri Lanka.
    Do you guys don't know he became SL coach after Pakistan's?

    They were going nowhere under Mickey Arthur after PAK decided to let him go.

    I sincerely hope Sethi strikes down this suggestion. whoever is rooting and lobbying for Mickey needs to be named and shamed.
    Last edited by Hawkeye; 25th December 2022 at 16:16.

  45. #45
    Debut
    Feb 2022
    Runs
    77
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    What a horrible thinking, IF TRUE!

    I think people have short memories.

    Not only was bad for PAK,

    He also proved to be embarrasingly bad for Sri Lanka.
    Do you guys don't know he became SL coach after Pakistan's?

    They were going nowhere under Mickey Arthur after PAK decided to let him go.

    I sincerely hope Sethi strikes down this suggestion. whoever is rooting and lobbying for Mickey needs to be named and shamed.
    Horrible thinking is bring back ‚ÄúMisbah‚ÄĚ

  46. #46
    Debut
    Nov 2021
    Runs
    159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be worst decision.. He was so dumb and clueless in selecting 11 in his last one and a half year.. Still remember losing tests while playing one spinner in Asian conditions.. Same was the case in t20 worldcup.. Rigid and egoistic selection.. Then that panic sort of attitude in the dressing room was so so bad..
    Get some upgrade.. Don't go back please.

  47. #47
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    19,410
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Misbah is usually vela for Pakistan job
    Shan in all 3 formats confirmed if Micky Authur is selected

    No Umar Amkal as well

  48. #48
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mickey was really good. He discarded a number of failed players and ensured the team players being picked had long term potential.

    He was below par in tests. But given the lack of quality spinners and batsmen, there was limited hope.

  49. #49
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    197,495
    Mentioned
    3023 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shah_1 View Post
    Shan in all 3 formats confirmed if Micky Authur is selected

    No Umar Amkal as well
    Well depends on what directions Mickey gets

    We have Mr. Sheikh The Enforcer and his #Sochna campaign which can be used on Mickey. Think we should get used to another style of management now.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  50. #50
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at how England had plans and tactics in place during the concluded test series shows how poor the current coaching team is

  51. #51
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    45,358
    Mentioned
    602 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shah_1 View Post
    Shan in all 3 formats confirmed if Micky Authur is selected

    No Umar Amkal as well
    Iíll see to it. Umar Akmal fair enough if he doesnít like him but Shanís English speaking privilege will be called out

  52. #52
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    19,410
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Well depends on what directions Mickey gets

    We have Mr. Sheikh The Enforcer and his #Sochna campaign which can be used on Mickey. Think we should get used to another style of management now.
    Shan played a lot of under Sheikh in diamond cricket club, he is confirmed to play all three formats.

  53. #53
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    19,410
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Iíll see to it. Umar Akmal fair enough if he doesnít like him but Shanís English speaking privilege will be called out
    Mickey likes Shan a lot, even Shekil Sheikh is a big fan of Shan Masood( see his old tweets), played mostly for Islamabad when SS was the president of that region

  54. #54
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    19,320
    Mentioned
    910 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shah_1 View Post
    Shan in all 3 formats confirmed if Micky Authur is selected

    No Umar Amkal as well
    For sure.

    Shan Masood -- probably the worst cricketer to debut for AND to play so many matches for Pakistan

    But loved by Mickey.

  55. #55
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    23,708
    Mentioned
    1592 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    One of the worst coaches we have ever had. He even made sri lanka terrible.

    Probably the most over rated coach around here. People who mentioned ct 2017, often forget what happened in the match against Lanka.

  56. #56
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    32,323
    Mentioned
    4902 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    In LOIís Mickey would be great. In Tests am not so sure he has learned from his mistakes

  57. #57
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    32,323
    Mentioned
    4902 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    One of the worst coaches we have ever had. He even made sri lanka terrible.

    Probably the most over rated coach around here. People who mentioned ct 2017, often forget what happened in the match against Lanka.
    How can someone who won you your first trophy since 1992 in 50 overs be one of the worst, itís not very logical
    Last edited by shaz619; 25th December 2022 at 17:24.

  58. #58
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    23,708
    Mentioned
    1592 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    How can someone who won you your first trophy since 1992 in 50 overs be one of the worst, it’s not very logical
    Intikhab alam won us 2009 t20 trophy. Does that mean he was a great coach?

    Performance is judged on an overall basis. Pakistan team under mickey arthus was not as good overll and @Mamoon made a fantastic post explaining why.

    Just watch the game vs sri lanka in the same tournament to judge how bad this team was. Pakistan was not suppose to qualify and only did because of a drop catch of sarfraz.

  59. #59
    Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    15,369
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakPremi View Post
    You need to come back to reality and catch up with current news.
    If Ramiz stayed Saqlain would stay longer. Beside Saqlain never said NZ test series will be his last one.

  60. #60
    Debut
    Feb 2022
    Runs
    77
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    One of the worst coaches we have ever had. He even made sri lanka terrible.

    Probably the most over rated coach around here. People who mentioned ct 2017, often forget what happened in the match against Lanka.
    One of the worst coaches we have ever had Was *Misbah* correction Forgot to mention*

  61. #61
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    45,358
    Mentioned
    602 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    One of the worst coaches we have ever had. He even made sri lanka terrible.

    Probably the most over rated coach around here. People who mentioned ct 2017, often forget what happened in the match against Lanka.
    Na I recon Misbah and Saqlain set the lowest standard ever

  62. #62
    Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    1,903
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I donít think Mickey would come back even if some arrangement with Derbyshire can be made.

    I definitely think he could be a good choice and he was unfairly and unethically removed.

    But I also think because of that he wonít ever come back to Pakistan. And also, which other foreign coach would agree to coaching Pakistan when the whole PCB is turned inside out at every government change.

  63. #63
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    91,596
    Mentioned
    2298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    I don’t think Mickey would come back even if some arrangement with Derbyshire can be made.

    I definitely think he could be a good choice and he was unfairly and unethically removed.

    But I also think because of that he won’t ever come back to Pakistan. And also, which other foreign coach would agree to coaching Pakistan when the whole PCB is turned inside out at every government change.
    He WILL come back if an arrangement can be agreed between PCB and Derbyshire.


    Click here to access........The PakPassion Gallery | PakPassion Articles | The Exclusive Interviews Section | History of PakPassion | The Talent Spotter Section

    To Follow Me on Twitter click here: @SajSadiqCricket

    To Follow Me on Youtube click here: SajSadiqCricket

  64. #64
    Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    1,903
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post

    Probably the most over rated coach around here. People who mentioned ct 2017, often forget what happened in the match against Lanka.
    So did Australia not deserve the 1999 victory because of Gibbsí dropped catch and Allan Donald and Klusenerís run out choke?

    SL dropped catches and choked that game.
    But guess what - dropped catches and chokes happen.

    Whatís the excuse for destroying England in the semi final and India in the final in that same tournament then?

    You are just obsessed with one man - and like a blind person in love lose all objectivity because it might mean it demeans your loverís reputation.

  65. #65
    Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    1,903
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    He WILL come back if an arrangement can be agreed between PCB and Derbyshire.
    Iím assuming you have that on good authority. Thatís good news then.

  66. #66
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    97,925
    Mentioned
    8075 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    The notion that Mickey is available & others are not doesnít mean anything. He is available because no one wants him.

    After getting sacked by PCB, he twerked to both England & New Zealand & neither boards wanted him. As a result, he ended up in Sri Lanka & proved to be a disaster yet again.

    No IPL franchise wants him either & based on his flop show with Karachi Kings, he doesnít have any suitors in PSL either.

  67. #67
    Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    1,841
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    The notion that Mickey is available & others are not doesnít mean anything. He is available because no one wants him.

    After getting sacked by PCB, he twerked to both England & New Zealand & neither boards wanted him. As a result, he ended up in Sri Lanka & proved to be a disaster yet again.

    No IPL franchise wants him either & based on his flop show with Karachi Kings, he doesnít have any suitors in PSL either.
    Who will be your choice in the current climate....

  68. #68
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    43,699
    Mentioned
    535 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    According to reports, Mickey has accepted the PCB offer for Head Coach and he will join the team in 30 days

  69. #69
    Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    956
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    According to reports, Mickey has accepted the PCB offer for Head Coach and he will join the team in 30 days
    Could they not vet more interest in the role? Strange to go right for Mickey.

    I think weíll see Amir make a comeback now.

  70. #70
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Runs
    726
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    He WILL come back if an arrangement can be agreed between PCB and Derbyshire.
    Surely, pakistan can do better than Mickey.

  71. #71
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    91,596
    Mentioned
    2298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    According to reports, Mickey has accepted the PCB offer for Head Coach and he will join the team in 30 days
    Not true as yet.

    The reason being that he needs to speak with Derbyshire first.


    Click here to access........The PakPassion Gallery | PakPassion Articles | The Exclusive Interviews Section | History of PakPassion | The Talent Spotter Section

    To Follow Me on Twitter click here: @SajSadiqCricket

    To Follow Me on Youtube click here: SajSadiqCricket

  72. #72
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before people start complaining, Mickey is a massive step up to the current structure.

  73. #73
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    97,925
    Mentioned
    8075 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashmal View Post
    Who will be your choice in the current climate....
    Depends on who is available & willing to talk to PCB. If a failed, out of demand coach like Arthur is the only option then it is a very worrying situation.

  74. #74
    Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan needs to hire Langer. Don't think PCB bold enough to go after someone like him

  75. #75
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    197,495
    Mentioned
    3023 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Najam Sethi has recently made it clear that he wants an overseas coach to take over the reigns as Pakistan Head Coach.

    PCB is keen to look at Mickey Arthur regarding the role of Head Coach. He is currently their number one choice. Options are being looked at with talks likely to take place in the new year.

    The complication is that Mickey has a contract with Derbyshire which the County will of course want him to honour.

    I guess it all depends whether Derbyshire would allow Arthur to split his time between working in County Cricket and his international commitments.
    This is the latest update on Mickey situation.

    All other news reports are based upon flawed understanding of how contracts work.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  76. #76
    Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    406
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Depends on who is available & willing to talk to PCB. If a failed, out of demand coach like Arthur is the only option then it is a very worrying situation.
    Absolutely.
    Just because he is a step up from Saqlain doesn't make him a top level coach.
    However, I guess the question is whether Mickey Arthur is better than anyone in Pakistan.
    If he is, not sure what that says about Pakistani cricket
    Last edited by Saj; 25th December 2022 at 23:56.

  77. #77
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    32,323
    Mentioned
    4902 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    Intikhab alam won us 2009 t20 trophy. Does that mean he was a great coach?

    Performance is judged on an overall basis. Pakistan team under mickey arthus was not as good overll and @Mamoon made a fantastic post explaining why.

    Just watch the game vs sri lanka in the same tournament to judge how bad this team was. Pakistan was not suppose to qualify and only did because of a drop catch of sarfraz.
    Are you really comparing someone like Alam to Arthur. By that logic, Alam also deserves full credit for spearheading Pakistanís 1992 triumph

    Performance is judged on an overall basis but you called him one of the worst coachís Pakistan ever had which is not a very objective statement.

    I think a qualified and experienced coach who actually tried to do his job by changing how you play LOI cricket and was instrumental in winning a trophy for you counts for something and disqualifies them from ďone of the worst coachesĒ ever, itís a very childish statement, no offence.

  78. #78
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    39,419
    Mentioned
    1348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Are you really comparing someone like Alam to Arthur. By that logic, Alam also deserves full credit for spearheading Pakistan’s 1992 triumph

    Performance is judged on an overall basis but you called him one of the worst coach’s Pakistan ever had which is not a very objective statement.

    I think a qualified and experienced coach who actually tried to do his job by changing how you play LOI cricket and was instrumental in winning a trophy for you counts for something and disqualifies them from “one of the worst coaches” ever, it’s a very childish statement, no offence.
    Santa Sethi has come down the chimney with a new foreign coach and selectors

  79. #79
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    23,708
    Mentioned
    1592 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    According to reports, Mickey has accepted the PCB offer for Head Coach and he will join the team in 30 days
    Not possible.

    PCB is a govt organization and the requirement for govt organizations is that you need to post a job advertisement before hiring anyone.

    Pcb can approach anyone they like, but that person would be required to apply to be considered.

    I dont think pcb posted any job advertisment, so any news that comes in is a rumour. Lets wait for the job ad to appear first

  80. #80
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    23,708
    Mentioned
    1592 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Are you really comparing someone like Alam to Arthur. By that logic, Alam also deserves full credit for spearheading Pakistan’s 1992 triumph

    Performance is judged on an overall basis but you called him one of the worst coach’s Pakistan ever had which is not a very objective statement.

    I think a qualified and experienced coach who actually tried to do his job by changing how you play LOI cricket and was instrumental in winning a trophy for you counts for something and disqualifies them from “one of the worst coaches” ever, it’s a very childish statement, no offence.
    @Mamoon has explained arthurs career well.

    Alam was maneger in 1992.

    Overall performance of your team shows how good you are in test.

    As far as i remember, wasnt it under mickey we lost our undefeated record in uae

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •