[VIDEO] "Babar Azam should step down as Pakistan skipper in the white ball formats": Kamran Akmal


Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 41 of 41
  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    197,495
    Mentioned
    3023 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

    [VIDEO] "Babar Azam should step down as Pakistan skipper in the white ball formats": Kamran Akmal

    Kamran Akmal chats with Saj about selection policies, Pakistan Test team's struggles, Babar Azam's captaincy, changes needed in Pakistan domestic cricket and more.




    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  2. #2
    Debut
    Dec 2022
    Runs
    255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kamran Akmal was more talented batsman than Babar Azam. However he did not get as much chances.

    I would bench Babar and introduce Kamran as opener in the T20 squad. The captain of T20 team should be Shadab.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    26,688
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Babar Azam's T20I Captaincy Record against captains of other teams.
    Qualification: Catained in minimum 40 T20Is.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  4. #4
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    26,688
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Babar Azam's ODI Captaincy Record against Pakistani ODI Captains.
    Qualification: Captained in minimum 10 ODIs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  5. #5
    Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    9,688
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Changing and chopping captains will do more bad than good..

    He is the only world class batsman they have and also the first name in the teamsheet..

    They need proper qualified , experienced supporting staff to guide them.. Im sure he will be a different captain under Mickey, Moody or Hesson

    They lack direction , fear of losing captaincy , place in the team , keeping buddies in the team are cause of job insecurity..
    Proper man management team will erase those items, give a hand and guide them with a short and long term plan just like how Mickey did for the white ball team..

    For example batsman like Azhar Ali who has been playing since 2010 was only tried as a test opener during Mickey's time which he tasted great success , those hundreds in Eng and double ton in Aus were the highlights of his career.. also a triple ton in UAE..

  6. #6
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    91,598
    Mentioned
    2298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W63L35 View Post
    Babar Azam's ODI Captaincy Record against Pakistani ODI Captains.
    Qualification: Captained in minimum 10 ODIs.
    But then people will say out of those 12 wins:

    2 were against Zimbabwe
    3 were against Netherlands
    3 were against West Indies


    Click here to access........The PakPassion Gallery | PakPassion Articles | The Exclusive Interviews Section | History of PakPassion | The Talent Spotter Section

    To Follow Me on Twitter click here: @SajSadiqCricket

    To Follow Me on Youtube click here: SajSadiqCricket

  7. #7
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    91,598
    Mentioned
    2298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Is Babar the right man to skipper Pakistan in any format is probably the question that needs to be asked.

    I'm not sure he has the leadership qualities needed at the highest level of cricket.


    Click here to access........The PakPassion Gallery | PakPassion Articles | The Exclusive Interviews Section | History of PakPassion | The Talent Spotter Section

    To Follow Me on Twitter click here: @SajSadiqCricket

    To Follow Me on Youtube click here: SajSadiqCricket

  8. #8
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    2,069
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has a point. Babar Is not a fit for this position in any format however, we don't have consistent performer in tests apart from babar, imam can be good option for test captaincy may be?

  9. #9
    Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    406
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Is Babar the right man to skipper Pakistan in any format is probably the question that needs to be asked.

    I'm not sure he has the leadership qualities needed at the highest level of cricket.
    I think the answer is clearly no, in that he is a poor and limited captain, will not improve significantly and an experinced coach won't be able to turn him into a good captain.

    However, he is Pakistan's only world class batsman (those who claim otherwise either have a vendetta or simply have no understanding).

    Does he have the maturity to accept he should "only" play as a batsman not as captain (like Tendulkar, Atherton, Root did) or will he throw his toys out of the pram (like Lara and countless deposed Pakistani captains of the past) ?

  10. #10
    Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    406
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saj -- thanks for this interview.
    He came across far more thoughtful than I expected in terms of his views on selection, first class structure and not choosing players for Tests based on PSL performances.
    Thanks again

  11. #11
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    43,699
    Mentioned
    535 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Lol at the posters who are claiming that because he is the only world class batsman in the team, he deserves to hold on to the captaincy. That is not a criterion and should have no bearing

  12. #12
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    197,495
    Mentioned
    3023 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Lol at the posters who are claiming that because he is the only world class batsman in the team, he deserves to hold on to the captaincy. That is not a criterion and should have no bearing
    Basically a player who can hold his place in the side needs to be a captain.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  13. #13
    Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    406
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Lol at the posters who are claiming that because he is the only world class batsman in the team, he deserves to hold on to the captaincy. That is not a criterion and should have no bearing
    Is anyone really saying that ?

  14. #14
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    91,598
    Mentioned
    2298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gibsyhesperis View Post
    I think the answer is clearly no, in that he is a poor and limited captain, will not improve significantly and an experinced coach won't be able to turn him into a good captain.

    However, he is Pakistan's only world class batsman (those who claim otherwise either have a vendetta or simply have no understanding).

    Does he have the maturity to accept he should "only" play as a batsman not as captain (like Tendulkar, Atherton, Root did) or will he throw his toys out of the pram (like Lara and countless deposed Pakistani captains of the past) ?
    The Pakistani cricketing mentality is very different.

    In some countries senior players don't want to captain or are quite happy to step down as skipper.

    However in Pakistan if you are a senior player, most feel they have a right to be skipper.


    Click here to access........The PakPassion Gallery | PakPassion Articles | The Exclusive Interviews Section | History of PakPassion | The Talent Spotter Section

    To Follow Me on Twitter click here: @SajSadiqCricket

    To Follow Me on Youtube click here: SajSadiqCricket

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    91,598
    Mentioned
    2298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Lol at the posters who are claiming that because he is the only world class batsman in the team, he deserves to hold on to the captaincy. That is not a criterion and should have no bearing
    And that's why we are where we are.

    This is exactly the mentality that holds Pakistan cricket back.

    We don't groom and prepare skippers, just give the job to a senior player and hope for the best.


    Click here to access........The PakPassion Gallery | PakPassion Articles | The Exclusive Interviews Section | History of PakPassion | The Talent Spotter Section

    To Follow Me on Twitter click here: @SajSadiqCricket

    To Follow Me on Youtube click here: SajSadiqCricket

  16. #16
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    97,925
    Mentioned
    8076 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Realistically, you can only replace Babar if you split captaincy between Tests & LOIs. If PCB wants one player to captain across all three formats then there is no replacement for Babar.

    He is the only player along with Shaheen who is a guaranteed (& deserving) starter in all three formats. Shaheen’s injury issues & workload management makes him a unviable option for captaincy.

    Rizwan’s honeymoon period is over & it will take a while before he wins his place back in the Test team & he might be replaced by Haris in ODIs this year if he continues to fail.

  17. #17
    Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Birmingham, UK
    Runs
    292
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Realistically, you can only replace Babar if you split captaincy between Tests & LOIs. If PCB wants one player to captain across all three formats then there is no replacement for Babar.

    He is the only player along with Shaheen who is a guaranteed (& deserving) starter in all three formats. Shaheen’s injury issues & workload management makes him a unviable option for captaincy.

    Rizwan’s honeymoon period is over & it will take a while before he wins his place back in the Test team & he might be replaced by Haris in ODIs this year if he continues to fail.
    I agree with you say about Babar regarding captaincy. It would be interesting to know how you feel Babar would fare under a professional set up and a coach like Mickey Arthur.
    I honestly feel that we could have won at least the Asia Cup and more had we not incompetent clowns managing our team.

    Tactically, Rizwan has an edge over Babar i feel. But Rizwan is in cuckoo land at the moment. Is he worth backing in terms of captaincy?

    Again, I feel under a professional set up, Rizwan would not have been allowed to play anchor in t20s as he has been.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    406
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Realistically, you can only replace Babar if you split captaincy between Tests & LOIs. If PCB wants one player to captain across all three formats then there is no replacement for Babar.

    He is the only player along with Shaheen who is a guaranteed (& deserving) starter in all three formats. Shaheen’s injury issues & workload management makes him a unviable option for captaincy.

    Rizwan’s honeymoon period is over & it will take a while before he wins his place back in the Test team & he might be replaced by Haris in ODIs this year if he continues to fail.
    Exactly this and a good summary of the the dilemma facing the selectors/management.
    A captain has to be worth of a position in the side as a player (Pakistan are too weak a team to carry someone and the player would not command the respect of the dressing room if they repeatedly failed). Brearley was an exception — few test sides would have a captain who doesn’t deserve a place as a player.

    I guess an option is to split the red ball/white ball captaincy but that does raise other issues, not least that it requires a level of maturity from both format captains .

  19. #19
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    43,699
    Mentioned
    535 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Axing Babar as captain from all formats and appointing a more competent captain even if they are not performing consistently will be a bold positive move.

  20. #20
    Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    358
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not even from white ball he should be axed from captaincy from all formats, the intelligence level he showed while declaring in last test was only laughable. But unfortunately there is not even a single suitable candidate for replacement.

  21. #21
    Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    7,041
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    The difference in Test Cricket and our FC competition is huge now

    Clearly we lack talented players in our domestic setup , there are no real pacers in our domestic FC cricket who can bowl all day long , can extract bounce and zip off the surface and atleast move the ball in one direction, No real spinners who can extract big turn and bounce and fairly accurate as well, The batsmen scoring runs against gentle pacers and darting spinners found it wanting against big boys in International cricket. What should be the next step to find more talent??? U19 lot seems to be even worse then the senior domestic players.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    7,041
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    it's appaling when our domestic beasts looks like average cricketers when playing Test cricket.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    7,041
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Abrar , Mir Hamza , Muhammad Ali our domestic performers looks toothless against Nz and Eng.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    13,097
    Mentioned
    979 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Definitely the bowlers have been disappointing.

    However, the performing batsman are doing well, so it's not all doom and gloom.

    I'm sure that Ghulam, Huairara and Salahuddin will also do very well if given the opportunity.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    91,598
    Mentioned
    2298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Disastrous run of results in Test cricket.

    I wonder if that's the format that he will give up captaincy in rather than the white-ball formats?


    Click here to access........The PakPassion Gallery | PakPassion Articles | The Exclusive Interviews Section | History of PakPassion | The Talent Spotter Section

    To Follow Me on Twitter click here: @SajSadiqCricket

    To Follow Me on Youtube click here: SajSadiqCricket

  26. #26
    Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    406
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Disastrous run of results in Test cricket.

    I wonder if that's the format that he will give up captaincy in rather than the white-ball formats?
    That would be the logical conclusion of the run of results we’ve just witnessed.
    However, in the white ball game there are credible alternatives (eg Shadab) but they are far more limited choices available in Test cricket (? Imam).

    The challenge is that the need for a radical shake up is more pressing in Test cricket

  27. #27
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    3,948
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gibsyhesperis View Post
    That would be the logical conclusion of the run of results we’ve just witnessed.
    However, in the white ball game there are credible alternatives (eg Shadab) but they are far more limited choices available in Test cricket (? Imam).

    The challenge is that the need for a radical shake up is more pressing in Test cricket
    I dont think its a captaincy issue. We do not have experienced test match players. Bowling is totally new and even the batting lacks experience apart from Babar himself and now Safi.

    Unfortunately in LOI formats sometime tallent can be enough even if the team is lacking in experience however no test match side has ever been good without experienced players. Unfortunately in Pakistan there is no proper planning of how to replace players and keep enough experienced players in the team. Maximum one member of bowling unit can be a relatively new player at a time and same goes to batting side. There should be a proper planning of how to replace a batsmen if he is going to retire soon etc.

    Once you have a decent and experienced test side you need to make sure you give some debuts to some players every now and then to prepare them for a time when anyone retires. And not let bulk retirements maximum one every 2 years.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Nov 2008
    Runs
    12,443
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leadership can be taught but Pak cricketers have a reputation for not learning new things and improving. Very few of them improve upon their debut in the national team.


    Kut khani hai to aa jao idher, khushbo laga ke!

  29. #29
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    26,688
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    So the #5 ranked team (Pakistan) just beat #1 ranked team (NZ) under the leadship of Babar Azam.

    His ODI (White Ball) captaincy record is now the BEST among all time Pakistani ODI captains.

    He has captained against 7 teams and has winning record against 6 of those team including NZ, Aus and SAF.

    Kamran Akmal might consider changing his mind.......
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  30. #30
    Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    17,961
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArabKnight View Post
    Kamran Akmal was more talented batsman than Babar Azam. However he did not get as much chances.

    I would bench Babar and introduce Kamran as opener in the T20 squad. The captain of T20 team should be Shadab.
    Surely joke post of the week

    Babar is fine for limited overs cricket He has been performing and winning in odis Tests are the issue

  31. #31
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    197,495
    Mentioned
    3023 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Happy Birthday to Kamran Akmal:

    Born: January 13, 1982 (age 41 years), Lahore, Pakistan


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  32. #32
    Debut
    Dec 2022
    Runs
    255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    Surely joke post of the week

    Babar is fine for limited overs cricket He has been performing and winning in odis Tests are the issue
    Kamran actually was more talented than Babar but he ruined himself by not being hardworking. Look at the stats. Kamran was a highly skilled bat with nice strokeplay and attacking style. However he did not work hard to improve against international bowling like McGrath, Sreesanth, Cheema.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    45,358
    Mentioned
    602 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He won’t step down from anything

    He has to be forcefully removed


    "The Indian bowling attack is as devastating as the Teletubbies"- Sir Ian Botham

  34. #34
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    91,598
    Mentioned
    2298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Spoke with a couple of people close to him.

    At the moment he has no intention of stepping down as captain in any format.


    Click here to access........The PakPassion Gallery | PakPassion Articles | The Exclusive Interviews Section | History of PakPassion | The Talent Spotter Section

    To Follow Me on Twitter click here: @SajSadiqCricket

    To Follow Me on Youtube click here: SajSadiqCricket

  35. #35
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    43,699
    Mentioned
    535 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Apparently the PCB is interested in appointing Kamran Akmal as the junior team chief selector

  36. #36
    Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    17,961
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArabKnight View Post
    Kamran actually was more talented than Babar but he ruined himself by not being hardworking. Look at the stats. Kamran was a highly skilled bat with nice strokeplay and attacking style. However he did not work hard to improve against international bowling like McGrath, Sreesanth, Cheema.

    Nonsense, just because someone can hit a couple of pretty drives doesnt make one more talented than Babar. Babar is a very correct and stylish batsman in his own right. He has been highly thought of from a young age and was going to play for pakistan

    FYI i watched kamran from the start of his career and he flattered to deceive more often than not

    Kamran Akmals intnl stats show hes not half the batter his cousin babar is


    Back to topic looks like the Akmals have an axe to grind since Umar and Kamran havent been part of the team for the last 3-4 years and hence all this vitrol against Babar


    If pakistan cricket is to move forward they need to stop going back

  37. #37
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    2,376
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Senior Akmal doesn't seem to have any love for his cousin Babar.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    197,495
    Mentioned
    3023 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    As per Wahab Riaz in an interview regarding Kamran Akmal:

    "Surely, his absence will highly be felt, but, I have heard that he is most likely to get a coaching job in Zalmi setup"
    Last edited by MenInG; Yesterday at 16:16.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  39. #39
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    197,495
    Mentioned
    3023 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Kamran Akmal in an interview:

    "I talk about India because if you see the top four players who have scored most hundreds in the past 10-12 years, three of them are from India."

    "So they play long cricket and that's what should be our focus too. We will need to mentally prepare our players and make them stronger and this should now happen from age-group cricket."


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  40. #40
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    32,323
    Mentioned
    4902 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Is this guy related to Babar by any chance?

  41. #41
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    197,495
    Mentioned
    3023 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Is this guy related to Babar by any chance?
    They are cousins.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •