[VIDEO] "It wasn't the best Pakistan team I have ever seen": Michael Atherton


Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    197,495
    Mentioned
    3023 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

    [VIDEO] "It wasn't the best Pakistan team I have ever seen": Michael Atherton

    Mike Atherton speaks about his delight at returning to Pakistan to watch Test cricket once again, the warm welcome he received from the people of Pakistan, his thoughts on the current Pakistan Test side, Babar Azamís captaincy, which Pakistani players impressed him and whether he would fancy the job of Pakistan Batting coach in future.



    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  2. #2
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    29,903
    Mentioned
    721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Athers is one of the commies whose opinion i value and listen to. Always calm and considered with his opinions.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    29,903
    Mentioned
    721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Mike Atherton speaks about his delight at returning to Pakistan to watch Test cricket once again, the warm welcome he received from the people of Pakistan, his thoughts on the current Pakistan Test side, Babar Azam’s captaincy, which Pakistani players impressed him and whether he would fancy the job of Pakistan Batting coach in future.

    Athers and his opinions on coaches- has he been reading my posts.lol

  4. #4
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    49,585
    Mentioned
    485 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One of the finest pundits that English cricket has produced. His knowledge is fairly comprehensive, and his way of expressing his views is always calm and direct.

    I found it interesting to discover that Atherton when he played a Test series in Pakistan under Hussainís captaincy, as a Test veteran at the relative end of his career, was playing one of his first games of any kind in the subcontinent, whereas players from England now (just 20 years later) will likely play dozens of games in the subcontinent before they even make their Test match debut.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    37,044
    Mentioned
    1254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    One of the finest pundits that English cricket has produced. His knowledge is fairly comprehensive, and his way of expressing his views is always calm and direct.

    I found it interesting to discover that Atherton when he played a Test series in Pakistan under Hussainís captaincy, as a Test veteran at the relative end of his career, was playing one of his first games of any kind in the subcontinent, whereas players from England now (just 20 years later) will likely play dozens of games in the subcontinent before they even make their Test match debut.
    He played a big role on n Bassetís win there. His average had been dropping for a long while due to chronic back problems, which the top quicks learned to exploit. Yet he enjoyed his swan song in Pakistan, like a star flaring before it goes out.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    39,419
    Mentioned
    1348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    A typically thoughtful and calm analysis from Athers. The quality of our Test bowling has plummeted alarmingly to the point where our numbers are comparable with likes of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    4,065
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Athers is class, unlike Nasser "Playing to the gallery" Hussain.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    5,974
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spot on with his comments on Babar's captaincy. Not the best team we fielded and certainly not a bowling attack that could be compared to any teams of the past

  9. #9
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    46,362
    Mentioned
    614 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    pakistans bowling was bad but so was babars capataincy. Overuse of abrar and not making good bowling changes numerous times and poor field settings. Team selection was another blunder after blunder.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    29,903
    Mentioned
    721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JibranAnsari View Post
    pakistans bowling was bad but so was babars capataincy. Overuse of abrar and not making good bowling changes numerous times and poor field settings. Team selection was another blunder after blunder.
    His point is that no matter how good the captain, he is powerless without good bowlers. Look at any decent team and you have bowlers that offer something. I take your point Babar being pretty average but we will see if he is any good when he gets SSA, Naseem and Rauf on the field at the same time

  11. #11
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    91,595
    Mentioned
    2298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I think Mike was being polite when it came to comments about the Pakistan Test side, particularly the bowling.

    This lot have to be amongst the weakest Test bowling line up ever in Pakistan's history.

    In the past we've at least had a couple of good pacers and one to back them up, but as things stand there is hardly anyone out there apart from Shaheen and Naseem who unfortunately look like they could get injured at any time.

    Absolute shambles we are these days.


    Click here to access........The PakPassion Gallery | PakPassion Articles | The Exclusive Interviews Section | History of PakPassion | The Talent Spotter Section

    To Follow Me on Twitter click here: @SajSadiqCricket

    To Follow Me on Youtube click here: SajSadiqCricket

  12. #12
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    37,044
    Mentioned
    1254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    He played a big role on n Bassetís win there.
    Nasser not ďBassetĒ, obvo.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Port Isaac
    Runs
    7,216
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's utterly tremendous. He makes buying the Times very tempting

  14. #14
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    1,129
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was the worst Pakistan team he (or indeed, I) have ever seen. I have been following Pak cricket for decades and this is one of the worst bowling attacks we have put together.

    This side was even worse than the side that was humiliated in 2010.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    91,595
    Mentioned
    2298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loralai View Post
    It was the worst Pakistan team he (or indeed, I) have ever seen. I have been following Pak cricket for decades and this is one of the worst bowling attacks we have put together.

    This side was even worse than the side that was humiliated in 2010.
    No doubt one of the weakest Pakistan Test sides ever.

    And this will continue.


    Click here to access........The PakPassion Gallery | PakPassion Articles | The Exclusive Interviews Section | History of PakPassion | The Talent Spotter Section

    To Follow Me on Twitter click here: @SajSadiqCricket

    To Follow Me on Youtube click here: SajSadiqCricket

  16. #16
    Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    1,903
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Polite gentleman - he went a bit easy in bbar but liked his question about whether babar has any say in pitch preparation and how much control he has over selection.

    Sounds like he knows the score but too polite to say

  17. #17
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    11,116
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    First of all, great interview Saj! Well done!

    While I admire Atherton, I exchanged a few messages with him when he was a columnist at the Daily Telegraph, however he hasn't said anything we the fans didn't know, he has simply endorsed what we have been saying for some time.

    This is where I miss Shane Warne's punditry. If he was asked the same questions, he would provide more insight into what has gone wrong with the Pakistan team, whilst being polite and respectful, in particular with the captaincy of Babar Azam.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    21,012
    Mentioned
    780 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It was a better Pakistan team than the one England beat in 2000 for sure. That team was only good on paper. Problem is teams like England are much stronger than they used to be.


    'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

  19. #19
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    1,525
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    His point is that no matter how good the captain, he is powerless without good bowlers. Look at any decent team and you have bowlers that offer something. I take your point Babar being pretty average but we will see if he is any good when he gets SSA, Naseem and Rauf on the field at the same time
    Faheem was very decent in second test of Australia series, Babar dropped Faheem next test and not Hasan Ali who was atrocious all series. Faheem then plays last test of England series and only gets 1 over from Babar, on a Karachi pitch which was aiding reverse (during M Wasim's spell).

    And it's Babar's job to select good bowlers (he had the veto power over selections and pitches under Ramiz).

    Babar could also have gone for tearaway pacer like Hasnain or have allowed the pitch to have a bit more life in it if he was going to select trundlers.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    1,525
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    It was a better Pakistan team than the one England beat in 2000 for sure. That team was only good on paper. Problem is teams like England are much stronger than they used to be.
    it was our worst test team for ages.

    Bowling lineup of Faheem+M Wasim+Nauman+Abrar is worst in our history.

    Batting has not been tested properly on flat home pitches since 2022 so we cannot call the likes of Imam, Abdullah, Salman Agha who all have made careers out of flat wickets in 2022 are actually good enough. Same Imam and Salman average in 30s in domestics where bowlers like M Ali run amok, and Abdullah Shafiq has not even played one full season in domestics.

  21. #21
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    29,903
    Mentioned
    721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KyoOne View Post
    Faheem was very decent in second test of Australia series, Babar dropped Faheem next test and not Hasan Ali who was atrocious all series. Faheem then plays last test of England series and only gets 1 over from Babar, on a Karachi pitch which was aiding reverse (during M Wasim's spell).

    And it's Babar's job to select good bowlers (he had the veto power over selections and pitches under Ramiz).

    Babar could also have gone for tearaway pacer like Hasnain or have allowed the pitch to have a bit more life in it if he was going to select trundlers.
    Faheem and Hasan are both terrible bowlers and on which planet is Hasnain a tearaway. This is just shuffling a poor hand

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •