Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Newcastle could become the next Man City in spending terms. They are being linked to top class players like Coutinho. Supposedly they'll be spending at least £190 million come the next transfer window. Arab money talks even if it is at the expense of human rights abuses in Saudi. No comment from Boris Johnson on this one.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to seeing Newcastle up amongst the big boys of English football.

I think there are some worried and jealous clubs questioning why the Saudis are being allowed to buy the club.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Venue
    Doha, Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Newcastle United is currently in 19th Place. Imagine the scenes if Newcastle gets relegated...

I feel like they won't immediately get the worlds best top-level players, they will just build up. My list of players who they will probably look at:

Coutinho
    Umtiti
    Aaron Ramsey
    Pjanic
    Ziyech
    Icardi
    Draxler
    Coman
    and more, These are just my guesses

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Steve Bruce will stay in charge of Newcastle for their Premier League game against Tottenham on Sunday following the club's £305m takeover.

New part-owner Amanda Staveley said the club wanted to be "patient and considered" in their approach and that "change doesn't happen overnight".

Staveley said Bruce, who will celebrate his 1,000th game as a manager, will be the "first to know" if things change.

Newcastle are winless this season and second bottom in the league.

A Saudi Arabian-backed takeover of the club was completed last week, bringing to an end Mike Ashley's 14-year spell as Magpies owner.

Bruce has come under increasing pressure in recent weeks and a large proportion of fans want the 60-year-old to leave the club.

Financier Staveley said: "We have had an extremely busy week reviewing the business and getting to know people and it is imperative that we continue to be patient and considered in our approach.

"Change does not always happen overnight, it demands time and that we follow a carefully considered plan and strategy.

"We met Steve and the players on Monday and have given them the time and space this week to focus on preparing for what is a very important game on Sunday.

"Steve has been very professional in our dealings with him and he and his coaching team will take the team on Sunday.

"If we make any changes going forward, Steve will be the first to know but, in the meantime, we wish him the best of luck in his 1,000th match as a manager and will be joining you [the fans] in getting right behind the team."

BBC

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Rangers' Steven Gerrard has distanced himself from speculation linking him with the Newcastle United job.

Some reports state that the Premier League club's new owners will look to replace current manager Steve Bruce and former Liverpool captain Gerrard features on their shortlist.

But the Ibrox boss was keen to distance himself from any discussion.

"I'm in a very big job, a very big role, which I'm very much focused on," Gerrard said.

"I don't react or get involved in any speculation, especially when someone I have the utmost respect for is sitting in that job. Steve is a great character, someone I've got a personal relationship with.

How Newcastle can follow Man City example
    "Sitting in this position, I wouldn't like people to speculate about my job, so I certainly won't be getting involved in speculation towards his."

The Tyneside club were taken over by a Saudi Arabian-backed consortium in a £305m deal last week and rumours suggested that one of their first jobs would be to relieve Bruce of his duties.

However, the 60-year-old looks like he will remain in the St James' Park dugout for at least another game, with the former Manchester United defender poised to take charge of his 1,000th fixture against Tottenham Hotspur this weekend.

"I've certainly got one eye on Newcastle," Gerrard said. "That's to see Brucey get his 1,000th game. It's a mammoth achievement. The character he is, I don't think he would want anyone to have sympathy for him.

"It's interesting what's happening at Newcastle. If anyone deserves a break, it's the Geordie fans, so I'm sure the excitement levels are very high. Everyone connected in the game is looking on with interest."

Kent out & Roofe 'in transit'
    Gerrard was keen to focus his attention on Saturday's top-of-the table meeting with Hearts at Ibrox.

A win for Rangers would move his side four points clear of Robbie Neilson's visitors as Gerrard's men look to retain their Scottish Premiership crown.

However, the champions will be without winger Ryan Kent, who is expected to return to training after the weekend, while striker Kemar Roofe is yet to return from international duty with Jamaica.

"Kemar is in transit," Gerrard added. "We're hoping to have him tomorrow, but he will certainly miss Friday's session. We have the medical team waiting for him later. They will look after him, assess him and make sure he's ready."

BBC

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Newcastle United a new 'superpower' after takeover, says Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp

Newcastle United are a new "superpower" in football following the club's £305m takeover, says Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp.

The Premier League approved the Saudi-led takeover last week after receiving "legally binding assurances" the Saudi Arabian state would not be in control.

There are many human rights issues linked to the state.

"Newcastle are guaranteed to play a dominant role in world football for the next 20 or 30 years," Klopp said.

Speaking to Sky, he added: "There are no two opinions about the obvious human rights concerns in Saudi Arabia. That's not a question. But how it could then happen that this was nevertheless allowed despite many concerns, I cannot assess.

"If we only talk about football, then in the long term, of course, we have to say that they are going to be a superpower."

Amnesty International UK chief executive Sacha Deshmukh previously said the takeover raised a number of "deeply troubling questions about sportswashing, about human rights and sport, and about the integrity of English football".

The takeover was 80% financed by Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PIF), whose chair is Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

Western intelligence agencies say he ordered the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in 2018, an allegation Bin Salman denies.

Following the takeover, Amanda Staveley, Newcastle's director, said her PCP Capital firm took concerns over Saudi Arabia's human rights record "very seriously" but reiterated that its partner "is not the Saudi state, it's PIF".

Other top-flight clubs have complained to the Premier League about how the deal passed the owners' and directors' test, as well as how they were kept in the dark until news of the takeover emerged.

"I was waiting for some official statement about it from Richard Masters or somebody else, because we all know there are obviously concerns about human rights issues," said Klopp. "I think that's all clear that we all think the same there.

"What will it mean for football? A few months ago, we had a massive issue with clubs trying to build a Super League, and rightly so. It didn't happen.

"But this is creating a super team. It's pretty much the same. Guaranteed spots in the Champions League, in a few years' time, not immediately.

"Newcastle fans will love it, of course, but for the rest of us it just means there is a new superpower in Newcastle.

"Money cannot buy everything but it can over time. They have enough money to make a few wrong decisions, to then make the right decisions, and then they will be where they want to be."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58925725

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Newcastle takeover: Jose Mourinho admits 'emotional connection' with club but insists he is happy at Roma

But speaking to the media ahead of their game against Juventus on Sunday, the Portuguese said: "On Newcastle, I don't have anything to say. Absolutely nothing to say.

"The only thing I can say is that for many, many years, I worked with one of the most important figures in the history of Newcastle, Sir Bobby Robson, and so because of that I have always had a bit of an emotional connection with that city and that fanbase. But it's nothing more than that."

Mourinho worked under Robson during the former England manager's time in charge of Sporting Lisbon, Porto and Barcelona, initially as a translator before also being handed coaching responsibilities.

Robson went on to manage Newcastle between 1999 and 2004 and is considered an iconic figure at St James' Park, where his statue stands outside the stadium.

On Friday, Bruce hit out at the media as Newcastle confirmed he will take charge of his 1,000th game as a manager on Sunday against Spurs.

What have the potential replacements said?

Rafa Benitez (Everton): "I'm wishing them all the best but this time when I decide to stay here I keep my word and I continue working here."
    Steven Gerrard (Rangers): "I don't really react or get involved in any kind of speculation. Especially when there is someone who I have the utmost respect for sitting in that job that the speculation is about. For me, I am in a very big job here that I am fully focused on."
    Brendan Rodgers (Leicester): "I have got a contract until 2025, I absolutely love being here."
    New part-owner Amanda Staveley said the club wanted to be "patient and considered" in their approach and that "change doesn't happen overnight".

Bruce went on to criticise the media for their reporting on his future, saying: "I hope you're feeling the heat from your bosses, because it hasn't happened has it - what you all wanted.

"Let's hope you're getting a bit of stick from the people who put you in charge.

"The information was wrong, wasn't it? So you haven't done your job properly."

Staveley said in a club statement earlier this week: "We met Steve and the players on Monday and have given them the time and space this week to focus on preparing for what is a very important game on Sunday.

"Steve has been very professional in our dealings with him and he and his coaching team will take the team on Sunday.

"If we make any changes going forward, Steve will be the first to know but, in the meantime, we wish him the best of luck in his 1,000th match as a manager and will be joining you in getting right behind the team."

Bruce, who succeeded Rafael Benitez in July 2019, added the nature of his conversation with Staveley was "informal" and did not cover his future, rather focusing on the team's preparations.

Despite the optimism around the club following the takeover, a recent Newcastle United Supporters' Trust poll revealed that almost 95 per cent of fans wanted Bruce's dismissal.

"It will be some 'ridiculous' atmosphere which we are all looking forward to," Bruce added. "Whatever they think of me, the most important for them is to see their team win a game.

"I know they will be right behind the team in an atmosphere I doubt we will have witnessed at St James' Park for a long time."

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp says the recent takeover of Newcastle has turned them into a new superpower in football
    Bruce said he had not contemplated his future since the protracted takeover was announced on October 7 but admitted he had after finishing 12th in the Premier League last season - an improvement on 13th in his first season in charge.

"I thought after matching the previous manager (Rafael Benitez), can I take it forward, can I get any better than this, how do I take this club forward were the questions I asked myself," he said.

"But then I thought of my staff, everyone around and thought… it is still a great job."

The takeover, which makes Newcastle one of the richest clubs in the world, was 80 per cent financed by Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund, whose chair is Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

Asked if he was concerned about Saudi Arabia's human rights record, Bruce said: "Look, as far as I'm concerned, I'm sure people will look into that. That's for politicians and all the rest of it to decide on that.

"It's a great thing for the club of Newcastle and for me, the city too. I've seen the transformation in Manchester - not just for the football club, but for the city too - and I hope for the area and for the people and the supporters that there are exciting times ahead."

SKY

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I feel a bit bad for Bruce. I don’t rate him as a manager but he is currently the vocational embodiment of a dead man walking. The new owners should terminate his contract and pay him off generously as soon as possible, there is no need at all to drag him along and humiliate him.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I feel a bit bad for Bruce. I don’t rate him as a manager but he is currently the vocational embodiment of a dead man walking. The new owners should terminate his contract and pay him off generously as soon as possible, there is no need at all to drag him along and humiliate him.
    He's been paid off generously at every club he's been at. Hard to believe he's been a manager for over 20 years at the top level, he's basically just a former player who's been winging it for two decades. In line for another £8m if he gets sacked here apparently. Nice work if you can get it.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Newcastle's new era under its Saudi Arabian-led owners got off to a woeful start as Tottenham came from behind to beat Steve Bruce's side. (2-3)

Watched by the club's new non-executive chair Yasir Al-Rumayyan and part-owner Amanda Staveley, Newcastle must have hoped they were seeing signs of a positive new future as Callum Wilson returned from injury to head the hosts ahead after two minutes, and St James' Park went wild with delight.

That start must have also given optimism to Bruce, marking his 1,000th game in management as he clings to hope he may continue in the job.

But then reality struck for a team yet to win in eight Premier League games this season as Spurs scored twice in five minutes.

First, Tanguy Ndombele fired in a right-footed drive, before Harry Kane scored his first league goal of the season when he beat the Newcastle offside trap to dink in, the goal awarded by the video assistant referee after initially being ruled out.

The game was then halted when a fan suffered a medical emergency in the stands.

Supporters and players - including Eric Dier - played their part in alerting medics to the seriousness of the situation before the game was suspended.

Play resumed with seven minutes of the first half remaining, and Tottenham extended their lead when Son Heung-min slid in at the back post for his fourth of the season.

BBC

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Has to be Bruce's last game in charge at Newcastle.

He's been poor and most of the fans hate him.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Newcastle manager Steve Bruce said he will "carry on as best I can" after the club's new era under its Saudi Arabian owners got off to a 3-2 losing start at home to Tottenham.

Asked if he will remain in the job, Bruce said: "That is for other people to decide. Ever since I have walked into this club, it is difficult. I knew how difficult it was going to be with the frustrations.

"I will carry on as best I can until I hear otherwise. The owners have conducted themselves respectfully since they came in. As long as I don't hear otherwise, I will go into work tomorrow."

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Newcastle United fans have had little to cheer in recent years so perhaps it was little wonder many got carried away on Sunday by the optimism surrounding the club's new Saudi Arabian-backed era, no matter the consequences.

But then the football started.

Prior to kick-off against Tottenham, the city was awash with excitement. Fans swarmed the streets around St James' Park dressed in black and white. Some wore headdresses and draped Saudi flags in tribute to their new owners, who have promised a brighter future after years of stagnation. More than anything, they have provided hope to a club which has been treading water.

Saudi Arabian students who had travelled from Birmingham were asked for pictures, Kuwaiti students based in Newcastle had turned up to sample the "vibes". Over the road from the statue of former manager Sir Bobby Robson, a drummer inspired supporters to dance.

Such exuberant scenes were in stark contrast, though, to a protest nearby. A van with a picture of the murdered Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi circled the stadium. Western intelligence agencies believe the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed bin Salman, ordered Khashoggi's murder in 2018 - which he denies.

Inside the ground, Newcastle's fans were determined to celebrate. The group Wor Flags were taking their seats for the first time in 897 days. They had turned their backs on the club because of disillusionment over Mike Ashley's 14-year reign, but had returned to display their vision of the future in front of the new owners.

Their flag, which stretched across the Gallowgate End, quoted lyrics from Big River, a 1995 song by local hero Jimmy Nail.

"This is a mighty town built upon a solid ground," it said. "And everything they've tried so hard to kill, we will rebuild."

Its reveal was met with the type of roar we have come to expect from St James' Park. Some fans were in tears about a day they thought might never come.

It must have been everything that part-owner Amanda Staveley hoped for as she was joined in the directors' box by new non-executive chair Yasir Al-Rumayyan, who is also the governor of the Saudi state's Public Investment Fund, which has provided 80% of the capital for the £305m takeover.

The euphoria was palpable, and it carried over into the match as Callum Wilson nodded in a header after two minutes to make home fans believe again.

Staveley hugged her husband and Al-Rumayyan, who broke out into a broad grin. If the 51-year-old needed a demonstration of why the Saudis were right to invest, this was perfect.

With Allan Saint-Maximin zipping about the pitch and Wilson sniffing another goal, perhaps the demand for an upgrade in players was over-stated?
    New non-executive chair Yasir Al-Rumayyan and part-owner Amanda Staveley were in high spirits as Newcastle took an early lead
    But then the symptoms of the Ashley era came into view and showed the new owners how big a task they face.

Joelinton, the club record £40m forward who cannot score, fluffed a pass. Newcastle's midfield failed to offer their defence any protection, allowing Spurs to cut through and set up Harry Kane for his first league goal of the season.

After a lengthy first-half stoppage as a fan was treated for a medical emergency, it was the visitors who re-emerged more focused. The lack of depth in Newcastle's squad was also exposed when Jonjo Shelvey was brought on to try to turn the game around and ended up being sent off for two clumsy challenges, the second described as "stupid" by Magpies legend Alan Shearer.

The jubilation seen in the directors' box early on was gone. Stoney faces watched on.

Their gaze may well have been trained on Steve Bruce, who was completing his 1,000th game in management.

Sacking the 60-year-old, who has long been criticised by fans, would have been an easy way of signalling the new owners' intent and there were reports he would be sacked last week.

But by only confirming he would take charge against Spurs 45 minutes prior to his pre-match press conference on Friday, the club left the manager in an awkward position. It means the new owners have more questions to answer.

They have called for patience from fans as they apply a considered approach to the new era. For most of the match, it seemed to have been heeded by supporters, who wanted to make the party a positive one.

But with no answers coming from the Newcastle boss after 74 minutes, a chant of "we want Brucey out" rippled along the Gallowgate End and slowly grew around the stadium.

The volume increased as the game slipped away and although a brief hope returned with Eric Dier's own goal, by that stage the home fans had joined their Tottenham counterparts in singing "you're getting sacked in the morning".

All of a sudden it felt like nothing had changed at all.

Bruce says he will "crack on until I hear otherwise" but it may be that the performance sharpens a few minds as the new hierarchy seek to avoid the club getting involved in a relegation scrap.

It was a stark reminder - as if it were needed - that the owners welcomed as heroes have a major task on their hands.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Eddie Howe is reportedly in discussions with Newcastle United as Steve Bruce faces the axe before the club faces Crystal Palace

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Newcastle: Premier League clubs vote to block sponsorship deals linked to owners

Premier League clubs have voted to temporarily block teams agreeing lucrative sponsorship deals linked to a club's owners after the Saudi Arabia-backed £305m takeover of Newcastle.

Eighteen clubs voted in favour of the ban at an emergency meeting on Monday.

Newcastle voted against and Manchester City abstained, with both questioning the legality of the move.

It means a temporary one-month ban on deals linked to club owners while the issue is debated further.

That prevents Newcastle signing sponsorship deals with companies linked to Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PIF), which owns 80% of the club.

Top-flight teams complained to the league after the Newcastle takeover was completed on 7 October because of frustration about how the deal passed the owners' and directors' test.

Last week, Leeds owner Andrea Radrizzani said Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules must be enforced around the takeover to ensure the 20 Premier League clubs are "playing the same game".

Premier League FFP rules allow clubs to make maximum losses of £105m over a rolling three-year period.

The league said it approved the takeover after receiving "legally binding assurances" that the Saudi state would not control the club.

The PIF, which will provide 80% of funds for the deal, is seen as separate to the state.

This is despite the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed bin Salman, being listed as chair of PIF.

PIF has assets of £250bn, making Newcastle one of the richest clubs in the world.

Several major European clubs have sponsorship deals linked to their owners.

Manchester City's stadium, training complex and shirts are sponsored by Etihad, the airline of Abu Dhabi. City's Abu Dhabi owners took control of the club in 2008.

City successfully overturned a two-year ban from European club competition for committing breaches of Financial Fair Play rules after they were cleared of all the major charges around manipulation of sponsorship deals at a Court of Arbitration for Sport appeal last year.

The Premier League's own investigation into City for breaching FFP rules has yet to reach a conclusion.

What is financial fair play?
    Both European football's governing body Uefa and the Premier League have Financial Fair Play rules to avoid clubs spending beyond their means.

As part of the rules clubs need to balance football-related expenditure - transfers and wages - with income, including revenues raised by their commercial departments.

Money spent on stadiums, training facilities, youth development or community projects is exempt.

Both Uefa and the Premier League impose limits on the amount of money a club can lose over a certain period.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58920229

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Former Roma boss Paulo Fonseca has emerged as a contender for the Newcastle United managerial role if Steve Bruce is sacked.
    Fonseca came close to being appointed as Tottenham's head coach in the summer and remains keen on taking on a challenge in the Premier League.

The Portuguese is currently out of work and an interested club would not need to pay compensation in order to name him as their new boss.

Fonseca won three domestic doubles in his three seasons as manager of Shakhtar Donetsk between 2016 and 2019.
    Fonseca lost his job at the Stadio Olimpico at the end of last season after guiding Roma to a seventh-placed finish in Serie A and he was replaced by Jose Mourinho.
    Last edited by b.lesner; 20th October 2021 at 15:12.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Steve Bruce has left.

Inevitable I guess, when new owners arrive.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Steve Bruce has left.

Inevitable I guess, when new owners arrive.
    I'm surprised he lasted 1 week.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Newcastle United's new owners have held talks with former Roma manager Paulo Fonseca as they continue their search for Steve Bruce's replacement.

Several candidates are being considered by the Saudi-backed consortium.

Former Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe, ex-Borussia Dortmund coach Lucien Favre and Belgium boss Roberto Martinez have all been linked with the job.

Assistant coach Graeme Jones will lead Newcastle in an interim capacity for Saturday's game at Crystal Palace.

Bruce left the club on Wednesday, with the new consortium, who took over the club two weeks ago, wanting to take their time to make the right appointment.

Portuguese manager Fonseca was in charge of Roma for two seasons between 2019 and 2021, leading the club to fifth place in Serie A in his first season and the Europa League semi-finals last term before being replaced by Jose Mourinho in the summer.

Previously with Shakhtar Donetsk, the 48-year-old almost joined Tottenham as their manager in June before the Premier League club changed tack, eventually appointing Nuno Espirito Santo.

Newcastle are yet to win in the Premier League this season and are second bottom of the table with three points.

Meanwhile, Saudi finance minister Mohammed Al-Jadaan has reacted to 18 Premier League clubs voting to temporarily block teams agreeing lucrative sponsorship deals linked to owners.

Newcastle voted against and Manchester City abstained, with both questioning the legality of the move which prevents the Magpies signing sponsorship deals with companies linked to Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund, which owns 80% of the club.

Al-Jaadan told financial television channel CNBC that supporters could expect an "enhanced" club.

"If people are worried about competition amongst clubs, and particularly now we have invested in one of them, possibly it's a good sign that there is a potential serious competitor coming their way, which is good for the whole football community," he said.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59000209

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Newcastle United have reversed their guidance on fans wearing "traditional Arabic clothing or Middle East-inspired head coverings" at matches, now saying they can wear it if they want.

Some Magpies supporters wore the clothing when celebrating the recent Saudi Arabian-led takeover of the club.

On Wednesday, the club asked fans to "refrain" from dressing in this way if they didn't "ordinarily do so".

But they have now "clarified" matters, saying fans should "feel free".

Similar attire was also seen in the club's first home game under the new owners, against Tottenham.

Earlier this week, Newcastle stated that the ownership was not offended and "acknowledged" the gesture "as positive and welcoming in its intent".

However, the club added that "there remains the possibility that dressing this way is culturally inappropriate and risks causing offence to others".

Three days later, the club have issued a new statement, saying the owners have been "overwhelmed by the welcome of the local community", and that fans who have celebrated by wearing "culturally traditional clothing, including head coverings, have been part of that welcome".

The club continued: "Those who wish to support the club by wearing appropriate culturally-inspired clothing should feel free to do so as they see fit. We are inclusive to all.

"Newcastle United FC and its new owners continue to support the Premier League's initiatives on diversity and inclusion, including No Room for Racism."

Newcastle, who parted company with manager Steve Bruce by mutual consent on Wednesday, play away at Crystal Palace on Saturday, before their next home game against Chelsea on 30 October.

BBC

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Police say no further action will be taken after a banner displayed by Crystal Palace fans targeted the Saudi Arabian-led takeover of Newcastle United.

The banner took aim at the Premier League's ownership test, following Newcastle's recent £305m sale.

It was displayed during Palace's 1-1 draw with Newcastle on Saturday.

"Following an assessment, officers have concluded that no offences have been committed," said Croydon police.

"No further action will be taken."

The banner featured illustrations of a man dressed in traditional Arabic clothing alongside what appeared to be Premier League chief executive Richard Masters.

The banner had a checklist with alleged offences by the Saudi Arabia regime.

Listed on a picture of a clipboard under the headline 'Premier League Owners Test' were 'Terrorism, beheading, civil rights abuses, murder, censorship and persecution'.

The man in Arab-style clothing was also holding a sword with blood on it.

Palace fan group Holmesdale Fanatics took credit for the banner on Twitter, and issued a statement.

"The Saudi led takeover of Newcastle has rightly received widespread condemnation and anger," it said.

"To give the thumbs up to this deal at a time when the Premier League is promoting the women's game and inclusive initiatives such as rainbow armbands, shows the total hypocrisy at play and demonstrates the league's soulless agenda where profits trump all."

The takeover was 80% financed by Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PIF), whose chair is Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

When approving the takeover, the Premier League said it had received legal assurances from the new owners that the Saudi state would not control Newcastle United and there would be penalties if it was proved otherwise.

The fans group's statement said this decision "made a mockery" of the 'Owners and Directors' test.

BBC

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    801 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^ The banner was pathetic by Palace fans.

City have UAE owners. Chelsea have Roman. Even Utd have Americans, although directly not involved USA is the biggest criminal on the planet.

Finally these dumb Palace fans should know their own nations state of affairs, makes Saudi dictators look like Disney characters.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Here is what Unai Emery has had to say.

"No matter how much noise there was yesterday in another country, within the club there was transparency and loyalty with the Roig family and with my squad, which is maximum and for me it is the most important thing.

"Villarreal CF is my home and I am 100 percent committed.

"Honestly, I am grateful for the interest of a great club, but even more grateful to be here and that is why I communicated to Fernando Roig my decision to want to continue being part of this project because of the commitment and respect that I perceive from the club and from my players, which is mutual and reciprocal."

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not going well so far is it? The growing story here is that a plethora of well known managers are rejecting the chance to move to Newcastle United. It’s just not an attractive enough package.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    801 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Not going well so far is it? The growing story here is that a plethora of well known managers are rejecting the chance to move to Newcastle United. It’s just not an attractive enough package.
    Blessing disguise, Emery was woeful in the PL.

Newcastle need someone to keep them up this season. A big name will be concerned of being relegated. If they stay up, next season they will get a lot of interest. Money will be enough to convince them along with spending power.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Talks are ongoing between Newcastle and Eddie Howe over their vacant manager's position.

Howe has been out of work since leaving Bournemouth at the end of the 2019/20 season following their relegation from the Premier League.

But the 43-year-old is under serious consideration to take over at Newcastle after Villarreal manager Unai Emery rejected the chance to move to St James' Park.

Howe has held talks with Newcastle's new owners in the past fortnight, as well as with the club's previous owners before the takeover.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Newcastle are close to an agreement with Eddie Howe to become their new manager.

It is hoped the former Bournemouth boss will be in charge for Saturday's Premier League match at Brighton.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    BREAKING: Eddie Howe has agreed in principle a two-and-a-half-year deal to become the new NUFC manager.

Couldn't they have got anyone better than Howe?

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Couldn't they have got anyone better than Howe?
    I suppose no is the answer.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    So Eddie Howe confirmed as the new manager.

Good choice for now?