Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Nick Kyrgios says "so many people will be upset" he has reached the Wimbledon quarter-finals, but says it is a "good feeling" to silence his critics.

Kyrgios' entertaining SW19 run continued as he shrugged off a shoulder injury to beat American Brandon Nakashima and reach his first major quarter-final in seven years.

Kyrgios was more subdued than in his fiery match against Stefanos Tsitsipas, staying largely quiet in a 4-6 6-4 7-6 (7-2) 3-6 6-2 win which set up a meeting with Chile's Cristian Garin.

The 27-year-old Australian maintained his focus in a disciplined display and put his success at the All England Club down to improving his habits off the court.

"There was a time where I was having to be forced out of a pub at 4am to play [Rafael] Nadal," said Kyrgios, who is ranked 40th in the world.

"My agent had to come get me out before I played my match on Centre Court [at] Wimbledon. I've come a long way, that's for sure."

BBC

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Game, set and match - Nadal

Van de Zandschulp 4-6 2-6 6-7 (6-8) Nadal

Van de Zandschulp's first serve is out and the Dutchman then misses with an overhead smash. Nadal leaps in the air and jumps into the quarter-finals.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nadal is gonna win the mens. As for the ladies i always feel it is more of a fashion competition for them then a sporting contest. Gone are the vintage days of Martina, Chris Evert, Steffi, Monica and when the Williams sisters were at their peak. Watching old video's of ladies Tennis i would have been a great fan of the beautiful Chris Evert if I was living during her playing days She was gorgeous

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nadal looks in the best form for the Mens.

Enjoying the dark horse runs of Nick and Norrie.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Nottignham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sinner beating Djokovic - 2-0 in sets, but is down 2-4 in the 3rd set.

Cmon sinner

TGK 237.1 owner

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Huge test for Djokovic here!

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Novak Djokovic into semi-finals after 5-7 2-6 6-3 6-2 6-2 win against Jannik Sinner.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    BREAKING: GBR’s Cameron Norrie into men's singles semi-finals.

Norrie beats David Goffin 3-6 7-5 2-6 6-3 7-5 on Court One.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Tunisian third seed Ons Jabeur, the highest surviving seed in the women’s draw, recovered from losing her first set at Wimbledon 2022 to beat Czech Marie Bouzkova 3-6, 6-1, 6-1 and reach her first Grand Slam semi-final.

Since going down in the opening round at this year’s Roland Garros in a shock defeat, Jabeur has won 10 straight matches on grass, having arrived at the All England Club with a title in Berlin in the lead-up.

Currently playing at her highest career ranking of second, Jabeur will meet the 103rd-ranked Tatjana Maria, who earlier beat fellow German Jule Niemeier, for a place in Saturday’s final.

Jabeur, 27, became the first Arab to reach a Grand Slam singles semi-final and is bidding to become the first woman from Africa to win a major.

Coming into her second straight Wimbledon quarter-final, Jabeur had yet to lose a set in her four rounds, not allowing opponents to settle with her gamut of forceful serves, powerful forehands, deft slices and well-disguised drop shots.

She used plenty of drop shots in the opening stages of the first set against the 66th-ranked Bouzkova but the 23-year-old Czech read them well to blunt one of the Tunisian’s main weapons.

Jabeur failed to find a way past the Czech’s stoic defence as Bouzkova chased down most of her groundstrokes and was rewarded with a break of serve in the fifth game. A second break in the ninth got her the opening set.

As the first set Jabeur had lost in this year’s tournament, it seemed to wake up the Tunisian.

Jabeur stepped up her aggression, started hitting her groundstrokes flatter and broke Bouzkova’s first service game of the second set.

A second and a third break followed and the Tunisian soon levelled the match as her favourite drop shots once again found the mark on the lush green lawns.

The Czech, who came into the Centre Court contest with six career wins over top-10 players, headed off for a lengthy bathroom break but could not change the momentum.

Bouzkova, who had never gotten past the second round of a Grand Slam before this year’s championships, was 40-0 up in the second game when Jabeur won five straight points to break serve and then consolidated her advantage with a hold to love.

Jabeur had won eight straight games to jump into a 4-0 lead before the Czech halted the juggernaut with a break to get on board in the third set.

However, it proved to be only a minor hiccup for Jabeur who picked up another break in the next game and then held serve to love to seal the contest on her first match point.

“I knew she was going to come and really make me work to win a point,” Jabeur said. “She’s a talented player, and I’m really happy that I woke up during the second set and I played much better in the third set.”

Looking ahead to the semi-final, Jabeur said it will be tough to play against her “barbecue buddy” Maria – who returned from maternity leave only last year after giving birth to her second daughter and reached her first major semi-final at the 47th attempt.

“I love Tatjana so much and her family is really amazing,” Jabeur said. “She’s a great friend. I am really happy for her that she’s in the semi-final.”

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Former champion Simona Halep's revival continued as she reached the Wimbledon semi-finals with another rapid win over American Amanda Anisimova.

Romania's Halep, seeded 16th, considered quitting last year because of injury but the 2019 champion is now one more win from another SW19 final.

Halep, 30, beat 20th seed Anisimova 6-2 6-4 in one hour and three minutes.

The two-time Grand Slam champion will play Kazakhstan's Elena Rybakina, who beat Australia's Ajla Tomljanovic.

"It's great to be back in the semi-finals, I'm very emotional right now," said Halep, who has won her past 12 matches at Wimbledon.

"I'm playing the best tennis since I won here. I'm building that confidence back and it is good right now."

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Rafael Nadal fought through injury to come from behind to beat Taylor Fritz and reach the Wimbledon semi-finals.

The Spaniard, who had a medical timeout at the end of the second set and struggled with his movement for long spells, won 3-6 7-5 3-6 7-5 7-6 (10-4).

It keeps Nadal's bid for a calendar Grand Slam on track and sets up a semi-final against Nick Kyrgios.

Nadal, who had strapping on his abdomen in his previous match, seemed to be bothered by the same issue again.

BBC

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Unreal from Nadal.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nadal has the ultimate warrior spirit. Couldn't serve or smash properly with that abdominal injury, still came back from behind twice to win.

Remains to be seen what shape he will be in for the Kyrgios match.

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As much as I love Federer, surely Nadal is now ahead of him as player.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Wimbledon Day 11: Ons Jabeur vs Tatjana Maria

It's women's semi-final day at SW19. The opening match on Centre Court sees two good friends battle for a place in the final.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Jabeur 6-2 3-6 6-1 Maria

Tatjana Maria leaves the court to warm applause. What a run she's had.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Jabeur 6-2 3-6 6-1 Maria

Tatjana Maria leaves the court to warm applause. What a run she's had.
    Tunisian third seed Ons Jabeur became the first Arab player to reach a Grand Slam singles final in the Open era as she beat German mother-of-two Tatjana Maria in the last four at Wimbledon.

Jabeur won 6-2 3-6 6-1 against 103rd-ranked Maria, who aimed to become the lowest-ranked woman to reach the final.

The pair are good friends but were rivals on Centre Court, sharing a long and loving embrace at the net.

Jabeur, 27, will face Simona Halep or Elena Rybakina in Saturday's showpiece.

The contest between Romanian 16th seed Halep, the 2019 champion, and Kazakhstan's Rybakina follows Thursday's first semi-final at the All England Club.

Live text, TV and radio coverage of the Wimbledon women's singles semi-finals
    'I could see myself as a tennis mum like Tatjana' - Ons Jabeur column
    Jabeur, ranked second in the world, is the first African woman to reach a major final since South Africa's Sandra Reynolds at Wimbledon in 1960.

She reached the SW19 final with a hard-fought win over 34-year-old Maria, who the Tunisian describes as her "BBQ buddy" and has stayed with at her Florida home when she plays in Miami.

Maria only gave birth to her second child Cecilia last year, and has defied the odds in a remarkable run to the Wimbledon semi-finals.

But after fighting back to force a decider, Maria was unable to handle Jabeur's improved level as her fairytale run ended.

"It is a dream come true after years and years of work and sacrifice," said Jabeur.

"I'm really happy it is paying off and now there is one more match to come."

Jabeur's story is one of an inspirational late bloomer who lacked patience in her younger days before finding the right mentality to complement her talent.

That has seen her win WTA tournaments, rise up the rankings and regularly break down barriers.

Known as the 'Minister of Happiness' in her country, Jabeur is a popular figure in Tunisia, the Arab world and Africa as she continues to be a trailblazer.

"I'm a proud Tunisian woman here today and I know in Tunisia they are going crazy right now," she said.

"I try to inspire as much as I can and I want to see more Arab and African players on the tour."

BBC

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Game, set and match - Rybakina

Rybakina 6-3 6-3 Halep

A stunning performance from Elena Rybakina.

The first-time major semi-finalist becomes a first-time Grand Slam finalist

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Game, set and match - Rybakina

Rybakina 6-3 6-3 Halep

A stunning performance from Elena Rybakina.

The first-time major semi-finalist becomes a first-time Grand Slam finalist
    History makers Ons Jabeur and Elena Rybakina will meet in the Wimbledon final after the pair claimed impressive victories in the last four.

Tunisian third seed Jabeur became the first Arab player to reach a Grand Slam singles final in the Open era with a 6-2 3-6 6-1 win over Tatjana Maria.

Rybakina then became the first singles player from Kazakhstan to reach a major final with a 6-3 6-3 dismantling of former champion Simona Halep.

The two will meet on Saturday.

Jabeur has become a favourite at Wimbledon and she and good friend Maria thrilled the crowd with an impressive display of shotmaking.

The pair are good friends but were rivals on Centre Court, before sharing a long and loving embrace at the net as Jabeur secured victory.

While Rybakina's progression has gone under the radar, she outmuscled former world number one Halep with relative ease.

Born in Moscow, she has represented Kazakhstan since 2018 and will now bid to become the first player from there to win a major singles trophy.

BBC

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from his Wimbledon semi-final against Nick Kyrgios with an abdominal injury.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from his Wimbledon semi-final against Nick Kyrgios with an abdominal injury.
    Feel a bit bad for the guy who Nadal beat whilst injured. Should be a semi between Kyrgios and the Nadal QF opponent. Give him another chance. Kyrgios won’t like getting a bye either.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Nadal Presser

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Port Isaac
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why didn't he just retire against Fritz though that says more about the player who couldn't beat a man that's barely walking.

Really disrupts the already waning credibility of this year's tournament. Though Djokovic would beat Kyrgios with a 2 set headstart

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOf1903 View Post
    Why didn't he just retire against Fritz though that says more about the player who couldn't beat a man that's barely walking.

Really disrupts the already waning credibility of this year's tournament. Though Djokovic would beat Kyrgios with a 2 set headstart

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    Kerala
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    First set easily win by Norrie by 2-6.. come on..

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm Tennis fan, but with Nick Kyrgios in the final now, I may just tune in.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Technics 1210 View Post
    I'm Tennis fan, but with Nick Kyrgios in the final now, I may just tune in.
    *Not a tennis fan!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    *Djokovic 2-6 2-2 Norrie

But now Djokovic has dropped a point on serve in this second set.

Norrie drills down a smash to move 0-15 up to the delight of the crowd. That's a very nice start.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    We talk about Indian crowds being partisan - English crowds in Tennis are similar!

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Norrie playing out of his skin, but don't write Djokovic off, he's the king of comebacks.

Lots of errors so far by both players.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Different class Djokovic.

After that first set he was in total control of the match.

Should be a very interesting final.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Game, set and match - Djokovic

Djokovic 2-6 6-3 6-2 6-4 Norrie

Cameron Norrie's brilliant Wimbledon run comes to an end.

It is Novak Djokovic who marches on to another final at SW19!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Britain's Cameron Norrie was unable to capitalise on a confident start as Novak Djokovic fought back to reach the Wimbledon men's singles final.

Norrie, 26, was bidding to become only the fourth Briton to reach the final at the All England Club in the Open era.

But after winning the first set, he lost 2-6 6-3 6-2 6-4 to the top seed.

Serbia's Djokovic, going for a fourth consecutive title and a seventh overall, will face Australia's Nick Kyrgios in Sunday's final.

Reaction to Norrie's defeat by Djokovic in Wimbledon semi-finals
    The 35-year-old will also bid for a 21st Grand Slam men's title, which would put him one behind Rafael Nadal's all-time record.

Spain's Nadal, 36, was supposed to face Kyrgios in Friday's second semi-final but withdrew from the match on Thursday because of an abdominal injury.

Now Djokovic has the chance to close the gap again on his enduring rival after ending the hopes of Norrie and a nation.

Norrie, seeded ninth, was the first British player since Johanna Konta in 2017 to reach a Wimbledon singles semi-final and was given partisan backing on Centre Court.

The atmosphere became celebratory as Norrie broke three times to take the opening set, before coming increasingly stifled as Djokovic eventually found his level.

Norrie received a rapturous round of applause as he left the Centre Court, including from Djokovic who stood back and applauded his exit

"Cameron didn't have much to lose, he was playing the tournament of his life," said Djokovic.

"He's a great player and I have a lot of respect for him.

"Cameron was dominating the play and I got lucky to break his serve in the second set.

"He gifted me a game and from then I think momentum shifted."

BBC

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Started well did Norrie, but faded as the match went on and was outplayed in the end.

Should be a cracking final.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Apparently Novak has never beaten Nick?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    I'm not going to lie to you, winning Wimbledon was not my childhood dream.

The childhood dream was always the French Open.

We don't have any grass courts in Tunisia so I couldn't imagine being at Wimbledon when I was young.

But it became a dream when I reached the quarter-finals last year because I enjoyed being here and enjoyed everything about Wimbledon.

So from then it was the target for me: to come back and win here.

My brother Hatem is planning to come over from Tunisia and will hopefully be there on Saturday, but unfortunately the other members of my family don't have visas.

It will be tough for them but they will be cheering for me back home.

My parents Samira and Ridha and sister Yasmine can't come to London, but it will be great that Hatem, and possibly my brother-in-law, will be here.

Now I hope it can be a great, great Saturday.

BBC

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Port Isaac
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Technics 1210 View Post
    Apparently Novak has never beaten Nick?
    0-2 on hard courts. Quite a lot gone for Kyrgios but the gulf in class from those he beat to Goat couldn't really be bigger. ATP 250 to Championship match.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Elena Rybakina became the first player from Kazakhstan to win a Grand Slam title by beating Tunisian third seed Ons Jabeur in a gripping Wimbledon final.

Rybakina, 23, fought back to win 3-6 6-2 6-2 and become the youngest Wimbledon singles champion since 2011.

After a shaky first set, she improved and pressured Jabeur into errors.

Rybakina was born in Moscow and her victory comes in a year where Wimbledon banned Russians from playing.

She changed allegiance in 2018 after receiving greater financial support from Kazakhstan.

The All England Club did not allow Russian and Belarusian players to compete at this year's tournament in response to Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    852 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Elena Rybakina became the first player from Kazakhstan to win a Grand Slam title by beating Tunisian third seed Ons Jabeur in a gripping Wimbledon final.

Rybakina, 23, fought back to win 3-6 6-2 6-2 and become the youngest Wimbledon singles champion since 2011.

After a shaky first set, she improved and pressured Jabeur into errors.

Rybakina was born in Moscow and her victory comes in a year where Wimbledon banned Russians from playing.

She changed allegiance in 2018 after receiving greater financial support from Kazakhstan.

The All England Club did not allow Russian and Belarusian players to compete at this year's tournament in response to Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
    Congratulations to Elena! Great performance and comeback.

Congratulations to Russia too. The Royals must have looked stupid at the winners ceremony.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Port Isaac
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine banning Belarusians but not a Muscovite

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Nick Kyrgios says he will be playing for "the ultimate glory" and "tennis immortality" when he faces Novak Djokovic in the Wimbledon men's final.

Serbia's Djokovic is bidding for a fourth consecutive Wimbledon title and a 21st Grand Slam overall on Sunday.

Kyrgios is aiming for a first major singles trophy when many thought the mercurial Australian's time had passed.

He leads the head-to-head between the pair and Djokovic did not win a set in their two meetings in 2017.

However, Djokovic at Wimbledon and in a Grand Slam is a different prospect.

He has not lost a match at the Championships since 2017, when he retired through injury in the quarter-finals, and he will be playing in his 32nd major final - a men's record.

"I'm very anxious and nervous," Kyrgios told BBC Sport. "It's something I've never had a chance to do before, play in a Slam final.

"I've been in a lot of finals in my career but this is the first time at Wimbledon, at a Grand Slam, the biggest tournament in the world. That's what kept me up at night - the chance to play for the ultimate glory and become tennis immortality."

Kyrgios, who does not have a coach, says he does not compare himself to Djokovic or the other members of his sport's 'big three' - Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer - because "they're untouchable" and that he is doing things differently.

"They're the perfect role models," said Kyrgios, who has been fined twice at Wimbledon this year for his on-court behaviour.

"I feel like there's a lot of people who know that's unobtainable so they look at me, who is relatable and has a lot of imperfections, and is still able to go up against the greats and give them a run for their money.

"Wimbledon is clean-cut and you have someone in the final who is edgy, tattoos, not the clean-cut kind of Roger Federer.

"I think that's an inspiration to so many people. I think I have completely done it my way. I've never really listened to any coaches."

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Port Isaac
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nick Kyrgios says he will be playing for "the ultimate glory" and "tennis immortality" when he faces Novak Djokovic in the Wimbledon men's final.

Serbia's Djokovic is bidding for a fourth consecutive Wimbledon title and a 21st Grand Slam overall on Sunday.

Kyrgios is aiming for a first major singles trophy when many thought the mercurial Australian's time had passed.

He leads the head-to-head between the pair and Djokovic did not win a set in their two meetings in 2017.

However, Djokovic at Wimbledon and in a Grand Slam is a different prospect.

He has not lost a match at the Championships since 2017, when he retired through injury in the quarter-finals, and he will be playing in his 32nd major final - a men's record.

"I'm very anxious and nervous," Kyrgios told BBC Sport. "It's something I've never had a chance to do before, play in a Slam final.

"I've been in a lot of finals in my career but this is the first time at Wimbledon, at a Grand Slam, the biggest tournament in the world. That's what kept me up at night - the chance to play for the ultimate glory and become tennis immortality."

Kyrgios, who does not have a coach, says he does not compare himself to Djokovic or the other members of his sport's 'big three' - Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer - because "they're untouchable" and that he is doing things differently.

"They're the perfect role models," said Kyrgios, who has been fined twice at Wimbledon this year for his on-court behaviour.

"I feel like there's a lot of people who know that's unobtainable so they look at me, who is relatable and has a lot of imperfections, and is still able to go up against the greats and give them a run for their money.

"Wimbledon is clean-cut and you have someone in the final who is edgy, tattoos, not the clean-cut kind of Roger Federer.

"I think that's an inspiration to so many people. I think I have completely done it my way. I've never really listened to any coaches."
    Common belief is Kyrgios will keep it tight but probably be similar to Norrie result or worse. Djokovic is a robot compared to rest of four other than Rafa in Paris.

Medvedev halted his Grand Slam dream, he'd have won in Australia and would be level with Rafa after this.

It's inevitable he pulls away and I'm not sure Medvedev can do that again when not up against a player ultimately aiming for the impossible.

He's too much of a physical specimen so has more than enough in the tank and a mental behemoth so will always prevail.

He's simply astounding.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Not easy for both!

Break point Djokovic

Djokovic 4-6 6-3 Kyrgios*

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Game, set and match

Djokovic 4-6 6-3 6-4 7-6 (7-3) Kyrgios

FOUR IN A ROW!

A 21st Grand Slam title for Novak Djokovic.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Novak Djokovic underlined his recent dominance at Wimbledon with a composed and controlled fightback against Australia's Nick Kyrgios to win a fourth consecutive men's singles title.

Serbia's Djokovic, 35, lost the first set after some incredible serving from Kyrgios, but ended up winning 4-6 6-3 6-4 7-6 (7-3) on Centre Court.

It is Djokovic's seventh SW19 men's title and only Roger Federer has more.

Victory also moved him one behind Rafael Nadal's record 22 men's majors.

Top seed Djokovic made a slower start than his 27-year-old opponent, who initially seemed unnerved by playing in his first Grand Slam singles final.

But the Serb did not lose belief as he showed all of his experience and nous to turn the match around.

Losing his winning position began to irritate Kyrgios, who is known for his fiery temperament as well as his exciting tennis.

While Kyrgios increasingly remonstrated with his support team, Djokovic remained cool in the heat of the battle on a scorching Centre Court.

"He's a bit of a God, I'm not going to lie. I thought I played well," said Kyrgios as he congratulated Djokovic.

Bbc

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well deserved victory for Novak.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Djokovic on return was outstanding at times and his forehand was huge, massive at times in this match.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watching Kyrgios bumble forward to attempt to reach a drop shot was painful compared to the physical specimen across the net, Djokovic would win the point 9 times out of 10 with that shot.

Forget skill and talent, Novak and Nick were on different athletic and mental planets.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nick Kyrgios on being Wimbledon runner-up as Novak Djokovic wins

Nick Kyrgios says it feels "ridiculous" to be a Wimbledon runner-up after only deciding on the basketball court recently he planned to "have some fun" at the Grand Slam tournament.

Australian Kyrgios, 27, won the first set before losing to Serbia's top seed Novak Djokovic in Sunday's men's final.

"I look back at it and I'm just like 'How am I here?' Like, where I'm from, everything I've been through," he said.

"You know, it's pretty cool. I'm just not supposed to be here."

Kyrgios, ranked 40th in the world, has only played a limited number of tournaments since the coronavirus pandemic started in 2020.

Earlier this year, he also opened up about his struggles with depression and self-harming, saying the 2019 Australian Open was one of his "darkest periods".

He had played only four tournaments in 2022 before committing to the grass-court season, which started in June.

The former world number 13 missed the French Open to have more time at home in Canberra.

He says his ambitions for Wimbledon became clear while he was there with his friends.

"Literally a month ago, month and a half ago, I was actually playing basketball with some boys back home and I said to one of them, 'I think I'm going to have some fun and maybe win Wimbledon'," said Kyrgios.

"Then I'm here as a finalist. I didn't hit more than an hour a day."

Kyrgios has always been seen as having the talent to win one of the sport's four Grand Slam tournaments, but many said he never would because of his mentality and tendency to combust on court.

He finally reached his first major singles final after an impressive fortnight at the All England Club.

But that came amid more controversy as it was revealed he faces a court hearing in Canberra next month in relation to an allegation of common assault.

"It's taken me 10 years, almost 10 years in my career to finally get to the point of playing for a Grand Slam and coming up short," the former world junior number one said.

"I feel like if I had won that Grand Slam, I think I would have lacked a bit of motivation, to be honest. Coming back for other tournaments, I would have really struggled.

"I kind of achieved the greatest pinnacle of what you can achieve in tennis."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/62116667

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John McEnroe says Wimbledon runner-up Nick Kyrgios has "got his demons" but tennis needs him "big time".

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Novak Djokovic Drops Four Places In ATP Rankings After Wimbledon Win. Here's Why
    This is the first time in 25 years that Roger Federer has not found a place in the ATP rankings.

Novak Djokovic overcame the challenge from a feisty Nick Kyrgios to win his seventh Wimbledon title on Sunday. Djokovic came back from a set down to win the final 4-6, 6-3, 6-4, 7-6 (7/3) in London. However, this week's ATP rankings saw the 35-year-old Serbian fall four places from No.3 to No.7. This is because the ATP decided to not award any ranking points for this year's Wimbledon after the All England Club banned players from Russia and Belarus. Russia's Daniil Medvedev, who was barred from Wimbledon, retains his top rank.

Medvedev is followed by Alexander Zverev and Rafael Nadal in the rankings.

Interestingly, this is the first time in 25 years that Roger Federer has not found a place in the ATP rankings.

Since the rankings only takes into consideration points earned in the last 52 weeks, Federer did not get any points as his last match came in Wimbledon last year.

Djokovic, meanwhile, expressed his doubts about his participation in the US Open as he can't go there without getting vaccinated.

"At the moment I can't go to the United States, I'm hoping for positive news, but there's not a lot of time, I don't know, hope springs eternal," Djokovic said in a press conference in Belgrade.

"I'd like to play the US Open but if it doesn't happen it's not the end of the world, nor the first Grand Slam I have to withdraw from," he said.

Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com
    With his triumph at Wimbledon, Djokovic now has 21 Grand Slam titles, moving ahead of Roger Federer's tally of 20.

Among men, he is only behind Rafael Nadal, who has won 22 Grand Slam titles.

NDTV

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Former world number one Venus Williams will make her singles comeback after being awarded a wildcard for next month's WTA 1000 tournament in Toronto.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Novak Djokovic's hopes of playing in the US Open suffered another blow after the tournament said it would respect the United States government's rules on the Covid-19 vaccine.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spanish teenager Carlos Alcaraz will become the youngest player in the top five of the ATP rankings since Rafael Nadal in 2005 after reaching the Hamburg Open final.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Serena Williams claimed her first singles win in 14 months as she beat Spain's Nuria Parrizas Diaz to reach the second round of the National Bank Open in Toronto.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Serena Williams, the 23-time Grand Slam singles champion and one of tennis' greatest players, has spoken about retirement - saying she is "evolving away" from the sport after the US Open.

Writing for Vogue, the American said she is moving towards "other things that are important to me", adding she does not like the word "retirement".

In an accompanying Instagram post, she wrote that "the countdown has begun".

"I'm gonna relish these next few weeks," the 40-year-old said.

Williams made her singles return at Wimbledon in June after a lengthy injury lay-off that had led to speculation about her retirement.

She says she will play at the US Open, where she has won six of her major singles titles, later in August.

Williams has won more major singles title than any female player in the Open era and the second most of all time, behind Margaret Court's 24.

"Unfortunately I wasn't ready to win Wimbledon this year. And I don't know if I will be ready to win New York. But I'm going to try," she wrote.

"I know there's a fan fantasy that I might have tied Margaret that day in London, then maybe beat her record in New York, and then at the trophy ceremony say, "See ya!"

"I get that. It's a good fantasy. But I'm not looking for some ceremonial, final on-court moment.

"I'm terrible at goodbyes, the world's worst. But please know that I am more grateful for you than I can ever express in words."

On Monday, she had her first singles win in 14 months, beating Spain's Nuria Parrizas Diaz to reach the second round of the National Bank Open in Toronto.

BBC

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Emma Raducanu's US Open title defence preparations suffered another blow as she was beaten by Camila Giorgi in the National Bank Open first round.

The British number one, who is 10th in the world rankings, lost 7-6 (7-0) 6-2 to the Italian defending champion.

Raducanu had led by an early break in the second set before Giorgi reeled off six games in a row to win in Toronto.

The US Open, where the 19-year-old memorably triumphed last year, begins on 29 August in New York.

In the men's event in Montreal, Britain's Dan Evans beat Filip Krajinovic of Serbia 6-2 1-6 6-0 either side of a rain delay.

He was joined in the second round by compatriot Jack Draper, who beat France's Hugo Gaston 6-2 6-3.

British number one Cameron Norrie and Andy Murray are in action later on Tuesday.

The Toronto event is one of several hard court events before the final major of the season.

Raducanu reached the quarter-finals of the Citi Open last week, but could not find a way past 29th-ranked Giorgi.

The two traded early breaks in the opening set before Raducanu saved a set point to force an eventual tie-break.

Giorgi, 30, won all seven points in the tie-break to take it, but Raducanu hit back, winning the first two games of the second set.

However, the Briton could not hold on to her lead and did not hold serve for the rest of the set as Giorgi powered to victory.

Earlier, 10th seed Coco Gauff beat American compatriot Madison Brengle 6-1 6-3, and will face Wimbledon champion Elena Rybakina next.

However, two-time US Open champion Naomi Osaka was forced to retire midway through her match against Kaia Kanepi. Osaka trailed 7-6 (7-4) 3-0 when she quit with a lower back injury,

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nick Kyrgios came from a set down to beat world number one Daniil Medvedev at the Canadian Open, as Iga Swiatek won comfortably.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An emotional Serena Williams has admitted she is "terrible at goodbyes" following defeat by Belinda Bencic in the second round of the Canadian Open.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Britain's Emma Raducanu will face 23-time Grand Slam singles champion Serena Williams for the first time in her career on Sunday.