Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

A discussion on the board game Ludo

I feel a bit wierd and embarrassed about discussing this game but i just played this board game after god knows how long at college. I just wanted to inquire about the following

1) What is the name of this game in English?

2) What are the basic rules of the game? It was so frustrating having to deal with people in college with each on coming up with their own rules

3) Does one have to roll only one dice or two dices? A colleague of mine says that you roll two dices not one.

4) Someone also mentioned to me that you cannot take your ghoti (Piece) home unless you have actually knocked someone back, if you reach your home base without knocking anyone back to his starting mark then you have to skipping going home and attempt the entire journey again.

5) Is it true that if you roll 3 consecutive sixes then you have to forfeit your turn?

6) Lets says if there are 2 blue pieces on top of each other in an unsafe place on the board and there is a single red piece one step behind. If the person who is red rolls the dice and gets 1, is it true that not only can he not knock over the 2 blue pieces but he cant cross them either if he ended up rolling a dice greater than 1.

7) If a person rolls the dice and the dice goes out of the board by mistake, will he have to forfeit his turn or he is allowed to roll the dice again?

8) Lets suppose there is a single green ghoti (piece) and a single red ghoti is behind the green ghoti. The person playing the red ghoti gets a six and a 3. The person is able to knock the green ghoti out with the three and then has to move another ghoti i.e. 6. Apparently some guys argued that the rule states that if you knock a ghoti out with any no lets say a 3 in this case, then you cant move the same ghoti again i.e. 6. This was very confusing.

9) Lets say if you roll the dice and it hits one of the ghoti's, can the person redo his turn again?

10) Apparently if there are 4 players playing, then 2 guys can team up with each other against the other two. How will this work out?

So sorry for this wierd post, but there are just no specific, standard set of rules for this game (hence these specific questions) and i just want to know the rules of this board game as perfectly as possible so that the next time i play this game in college, i tell all those guys who invent their own personal rules to serve themselves to shut up.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    St James' Park
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only question i can answer is Number 1 and it is also called Ludo in english

The last time i played was way back in 1997 when i was in Pakistan - having a quick scan at your questions i notice some of the rules are different to how i played BUT im guessing that will be the case - people will implement their own rules so its best to make sure you know what they are before embarking on a Ludo battle

Also yeah 2 on 2 can work - cant remember the exact rules to it BUT i definately played that way.

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google is your friend. Wiki is your guide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludo_(board_game)

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moumotta
    Google is your friend. Wiki is your guide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludo_(board_game)
    I did check wikipedia but it didnt answer all my questions, i felt the info was incomplete.

Debut
    Mar 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 times sixes is nothing I mean you can't take those 3 sixes our turn is over biggest what u can get is 17 (6+6+5) one question answered

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Venue
    Datmouth, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The game is known as Parchisi or the american version Parcheesi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parchisi

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Venue
    Datmouth, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am going to try to answer your question according to the rules that I played the game back in the day.

1). Parchisi
    2). refer to post #6
    3). Played with both, one die or dice. It used to be more on the players discretion, usually depends on time discretion but 1 die is prefered.
    4). That's exactly how I played.
    5). Agian, very similar. 3,7(highly unlikely) sixes in a row are void.
    6). Yes, you can't skip a Jota (2 pieces of same color on same unsecured spot) unless you are able to land on it. One thing that you didn't mention and the way I remeber it is that once you land on the jota and then stay on top of it. The other person can't break the jota or he losses one piece e.g. if the other person rolls an odd die and he has to move his jota then he will have to move one goti (piece). The moment he moves one the other will be knocked off due to opposing goti being on top of it.
    (7). No such rule, in fact we tried to avoid throwing the dice on the board due to your point in Question 9.
    (8). No, never heard of that rule. usually if you knock off an opposing goti then you get another role in addition to what you may still have left.
    (9). You re-roll the die.
    (10). 2 layers on each side; they can exchange what they roll i.e. if player A and Player C (usually accross from each other i.e your partner cannot be on adjacent side to you) are partners then player A can let player C move his goti from player A's roll. at the end of the game usually it s beneficial to save the last goti from one player just before it reaches home as then the other player can benefit from two roles.

I hope this helps
    Last edited by me_asim; 1st October 2009 at 18:32.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope this helps...

Only ever play this when i go to pakistan
    have a lot of england v pak games - lol

u have to get a 6 to be allowed to put a ghoti on the board and start moving it

3 - u roll only 1 dice

4 - yes - u cannot take ur ghoti home - unless u have killed another teams ghoti
    wen u get to the end (if u havent killed a ghoti) - u cant take it home -
    it has to stay there - u cant start the entire journey again

5 - yes - if u roll 3 consecutive 6's - u forfeit ur turn

6 - lol - never heard that b4
    if the red ghoti gets a 1 - then he kills both the blue ghoti's
    if he gets a 4 for example - then he can just place his ghotee 3 squares in front of
    the blue ghoti's

7 - if u roll the dice off the board - u forfeit ur turn

8 - yes - i think this is right
    if u get a 6 and a 3 - u have in effect 2 moves
    normally u move 1 ghoti the full 9 (both of the moves)
    but if u can kill a ghoti with either a 6 or a 3
    then that ghoti's move finishes there - and u have to move another ghoti the remaining amount
    so u kill 1 ghotee with a 3 - and then u move another ghoti 6

however - if u only have 1 ghoti left - then u have no option - this ghoti must move the full 9

9 - no - as long as the dice stays on the board - then it counts

10 - yes - 2 on 2 works
    u dont kill ur partners ghoti's, u kill the other teams ghoti's
    and if u get all ur ghoti's home, then u have to roll a 6 - to allow u to roll for ur partners
    ghoti's

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Very informative guys, this is helpful. Keep em coming.

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to shout "chakka" if you get a six

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure the game is called 'Ludo' in English aswell. I have it along with 'Snakes and Ladders' on a double-sided board. I will post the answers when I can be bothered.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    476 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I have always played with Rules 5,6 and 8.

I was taught to play this way by my parents so I really don't know any other way. I never knew there were different versions to the game.

I used to play it a lot with my family when I was smaller. Now I find it boring although it's a great game to have some family time that we all need.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Oct 2005
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great game, everyone in Pakistan plays it. From tycoons to chawkidars, all can relate.

Debut
    Mar 2009
    Venue
    Mirpur AK Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone knows puthur?
    Goti coming out of its home to kill other goti on the last 5 squares

Join PTI in the Revolt for Freedom

Debut
    May 2009
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most basic rule of them all .

Phuunke Marna zaroor hain Dice pe

Debut
    Jun 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Has anybody played with the following rules?

That you can move a piece on the same turn if you kill another with a 6? If you kill another piece with any number but a 6, you cannot move it on the same turn.

Also, if you are playing with two die, you have to keep playing with two die up until you have one piece remaining on the very last spot (meaning you need to roll a 1 to win). You have to keep playing with two die and hope to get a 1,1 combo if you are two spots away from home with one piece.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Cronie View Post

That you can move a piece on the same turn if you kill another with a 6? If you kill another piece with any number but a 6, you cannot move it on the same turn.

Also, if you are playing with two die, you have to keep playing with two die up until you have one piece remaining on the very last spot (meaning you need to roll a 1 to win). You have to keep playing with two die and hope to get a 1,1 combo if you are two spots away from home with one piece.
    that is just over complicating a simple game

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Jun 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    that is just over complicating a simple game
    Consider it ludo on "hard" mode.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always thought the NA equivalent of Ludo was 'Trouble' lol

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2042 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Cronie View Post

Yes, we play with these sort of strict rules You have to wait for an other turn in order to move the piece. These rules, double piece rules, like if pieces are at same block, then opponent can not pass over it until opponent brings the same number on which the pieces are. For example, if two pieces are at number 6 block, so you need to bring 6 in order to pass over it. Otherwise you cant, doesn't matter if it's 8,9 e.t.c

Eat, Sleep, Back The Team....Repeat!

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1342 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    For some reason it's made a comeback in Pkistan in last year or so

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in germany we have a game called Menshch arger dieschnishht

it is very like ludo but also bit different from the game my elder cuzins play in pakistan

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad-GERMANFC View Post
    in germany we have a game called Menshch arger dieschnishht
    it is very like ludo but also bit different from the game my elder cuzins play in pakistan
    *Mensch ärgere Dich nicht.

Sorry for being nitpicky.