Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

World Cup Fixtures Announced!

India and Bangladesh, two of the co-hosting countries, will contest the opening game of the ICC World Cup 2011 in Dhaka. The fixtures were announced at an ICC event in Mumbai on Monday.

The first game in Sri Lanka will feature the hosts taking on Canada in Hambantota, a new venue, on February 20. Pakistan, who lost their share of World Cup matches due to the security situation in the country, are playing all six of their group matches in Sri Lanka, which is hosting a total of 12 games.

The tournament in India, which is hosting 29 matches in all, will kick off with New Zealand playing Kenya in Chennai on February 20. India's first home game is against England in Kolkata on February 27 and they will also play their four remaining group games at home. Defending champions Australia begin their campaign against Zimbabwe in Ahmedabad on February 21.

The quarter-finals will be played in Dhaka on March 23 and 25, in Colombo on March 24 and in Ahmedabad on March 26 while the two semi-finals will be played in Colombo and Mohali on March 29 and 30. The renovated Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai will host the final on April 2.

"This announcement is an important indicator of the excellent progress we are making towards our flagship event which brings together teams from all our Members in nation-versus-nation action," ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat said in Mumbai. "Preparation of venues and safety and security planning continues and I am confident that the host countries will showcase our great sport with its great spirit in the best possible light."

A total of 13 venues will be used over the 43-day tournament, which is a week shorter than the 2007 World Cup in the West Indies. The ten Full Member countries and four Associates have been divided into two groups of seven each, with the top four from each group qualifying for the quarter-finals. Group A includes Australia, Pakistan, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe, Canada and Kenya. Group B comprises India, South Africa, England, West Indies, Bangladesh, Ireland and the Netherlands.

All six of Pakistan's games are in Sri Lanka!

They are keeping Pakistan as far out of India as they can!

BCCI is behing this, we all know that, they are hoping Pakistan don't get through to second round and go out of WC without setting a foot in India...wow!

http://www.cricinfo.com/wc2011/conte...ry/433528.html
    Last edited by DonJee; 9th November 2009 at 19:31.

Debut
    Jun 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bangladesh will repeat the heroics of 07

Debut
    Mar 2006
    Venue
    Lala Land - The President.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan will play all its matches in Sri Lanka. I hope we dont play in Dambulla though.

Debut
    May 2007
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 years early but...

GO BANGLADESH!

Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf...for the Quaid(ra) and Iqbal(ra)'s Pakistan

Debut
    May 2007
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Afridi_Fan
    Pakistan will play all its matches in Sri Lanka. I hope we dont play in Dambulla though.
    We should have had a couple of games in Bangladesh

Debut
    Oct 2003
    Venue
    Neptune
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohsin
    2 years early but...

GO BANGLADESH!
    Actually it's only 1 year and 3 months.

Debut
    Sep 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats great news if pak play in india they gonna make green pitch.in sri lanka we have good record.only this year we have some problem so dont worry abt that im sure we will reach atleast in sami final inshallah

Debut
    Sep 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pakistan is last time go beat aus in world cup 99.pakistan will stop aus in 2011 world cup in group match insahallah

Debut
    Mar 2009
    Venue
    Somwhere I don't want to
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol! People will get crazy once the tickets come out....I want someeeeeee!!!

Debut
    Mar 2009
    Venue
    Somwhere I don't want to
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, don't laugh people. I can see a pattern, in the last three world cups, which is likely to end in the next one.
    '99: Aus vs Pak
    '03: Aus vs Ind
    '07: Aus vs SL
    '11: Aus vs BD? (I do hope the result this time is not in the favour of the Aussies though )
    Last edited by Purbasha T; 9th November 2009 at 19:10.

Debut
    Sep 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Purbasha T
    Ok, don't laugh people. I can see a pattern, in the last three world cups, which is likely to end in the next one.
    '11: Aus vs BD? (I do hope the result this time is not in the favour of the Aussies though )
    i dont thinks so pak vs india and pak win

Debut
    Mar 2006
    Venue
    Lala Land - The President.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Purbasha T

I am surely not laughing at you, but mind telling me what you are smoking?

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJee
    All six of Pakistan's games are in Sri Lanka!

BCCI is behing this, we all know that, they are hoping Pakistan don't get through to second round and go out of WC without setting a foot in India...wow!

Huh? I thought you guys didnt want Pakistan to set foot in India for the WC games and now suddenly it is a BCCI conspiracy?!

Me thinks it is a very sensible move by the ICC.

Debut
    Mar 2009
    Venue
    Somwhere I don't want to
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Afridi_Fan
    I am surely not laughing at you, but mind telling me what you are smoking?
    I am not. That's why I said that. Smoking keep things rather normal for me.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a link to the fixtures:

http://www.cricinfo.com/wc2011/conte...plate=fixtures

Pak's matches:

Wed Feb 23 6th match - Kenya v Pakistan

Sat Feb 26 10th match - Pakistan v Sri Lanka

Thu Mar 3 17th match - Canada v Pakistan

Tue Mar 8 24th match - New Zealand v Pakistan

Mon Mar 14 32nd match - Pakistan v Zimbabwe

Sat Mar 19 39th match - Australia v Pakistan

Follow PakPassion.Net on facebook and twitter

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 match schedule

Groups:

A: Australia, Pakistan, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe, Canada, Kenya

B: India, South Africa, England, West Indies, Bangladesh, Ireland, Netherlands

Schedule:

Saturday 19 Feb – Bangladesh v India, Dhaka
    Sunday 20 Feb – New Zealand v Kenya, Chennai
    Sunday 20 Feb – Sri Lanka v Canada, Hambantota
    Monday 21 Feb – Australia v Zimbabwe, Ahmedabad
    Tuesday 22 Feb – England v Netherlands, Nagpur
    Wednesday 23 Feb – Pakistan v Kenya, Hambantota
    Thursday 24 Feb – South Africa v West Indies, New Delhi
    Friday 25 Feb – Australia v New Zealand, Nagpur
    Friday 25 Feb – Bangladesh v Ireland, Dhaka
    Saturday 26 Feb – Sri Lanka v Pakistan, Colombo
    Sunday 27 Feb – India v England, Kolkata
    Monday 28 Feb – West Indies v Netherlands, New Delhi
    Monday 28 Feb – Zimbabwe v Canada, Nagpur
    Tuesday 1 Mar – Sri Lanka v Kenya, Colombo
    Wednesday 2 Mar – England v Ireland, Bangalore
    Thursday 3 Mar – South Africa v Netherlands, Mohali
    Thursday 3 Mar – Pakistan v Canada, Colombo
    Friday 4 Mar – New Zealand v Zimbabwe, Ahmedabad
    Friday 4 Mar – Bangladesh v West Indies, Dhaka
    Saturday 5 Mar – Sri Lanka v Australia, Colombo
    Sunday 6 Mar – India v Ireland, Bangalore
    Sunday 6 Mar – England v South Africa, Chennai
    Monday 7 Mar – Kenya v Canada, New Delhi
    Tuesday 8 Mar – Pakistan v New Zealand, Pallekele
    Wednesday 9 Mar – India v Netherlands, New Delhi
    Thursday 10 Mar – Sri Lanka v Zimbabwe, Pallekele
    Friday 11 Mar – West Indies v Ireland, Mohali
    Friday 11 Mar – Bangladesh v England, Chittagong
    Saturday 12 Mar – India v South Africa, Nagpur
    Sunday 13 Mar – New Zealand v Canada, Mumbai
    Sunday 13 Mar – Australia v Kenya, Bangalore
    Monday 14 Mar – Pakistan v Zimbabwe, Pallekele
    Monday 14 Mar – Bangladesh v Netherlands, Chittagong
    Tuesday 15 Mar – South Africa v Ireland, Kolkata
    Wednesday 16 Mar – Australia v Canada, Bangalore
    Thursday 17 Mar – England v West Indies, Chennai
    Friday 18 Mar – Sri Lanka v New Zealand, Mumbai
    Friday 18 Mar – Ireland v Netherlands, Kolkata
    Saturday 19 Mar – Australia v Pakistan, Colombo
    Saturday 19 Mar – Bangladesh v South Africa, Dhaka
    Sunday 20 Mar – Zimbabwe v Kenya, Kolkata
    Sunday 20 Mar – India v West Indies, Chennai
    Wednesday 23 Mar – First quarter-final, Dhaka
    Thursday 24 Mar – Second quarter-final, Colombo
    Friday 25 Mar – Third quarter-final, Dhaka
    Saturday 26 Mar – Fourth quarter-final, Ahmedabad
    Tuesday 29 Mar – First semi-final, Colombo
    Wednesday 30 Mar – Second semi-final, Mohali
    Saturday 2 April – Final, Mumbai

http://static.icc-cricket.yahoo.net/...614449_186.pdf

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is great news for anyone who wants to go and watch Pakistan's matches. Sri Lanka is a wonderful country with lots of cheap accommodation, and it costs next to nothing to travel around.

In case you didn't know, Pallekele is on the outskirts of Kandy, and Hambantota is in the far South. The ground itself is about 20 miles inland from the town! It makes the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in Antigua and even the Rose Bowl look conveniently located.

Debut
    May 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Harvey
    This is great news for anyone who wants to go and watch Pakistan's matches. Sri Lanka is a wonderful country with lots of cheap accommodation, and it costs next to nothing to travel around.

In case you didn't know, Pallekele is on the outskirts of Kandy, and Hambantota is in the far South. The ground itself is about 20 miles inland from the town! It makes the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in Antigua and even the Rose Bowl look conveniently located.
    You are lucky.

India vs England at Eden Gardens looks a great fixture for English fans.

Sri Lanka is great though, thats true. Australia vs Pakistan at Colombo is what I am targeting at the moment. But in my line of work, getting holidays is a nightmare. (seems wierd to say that seeing as I have just come out of Uni lol). Can give enough notice though!

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zahid87
    You are lucky.

India vs England at Eden Gardens looks a great fixture for English fans.
    Very true.

I must admit I was really delighted when I saw the fixtures. All England's group games are in India apart from one in Chittagong. It ought to be easy to do this on the cheap, at least the early stages, and England don't tend to get beyond the early stages anyway! Plenty of time to get between venues on buses and trains, and little if any flying will be necessary. None at all in the group stage, in fact!

I think some of our lot are disappointed that we don't have any fixtures in Sri Lanka (looking at it from the beach holiday point of view), but for me this is just about perfect.

Another fixture that stands out for me is our meeting with Ireland in Bangalore. When we played Ireland in Belfast back in August, a couple of their fans took me and a couple of other England fans for dinner in a curry house and one of them insisted on paying for the whole meal. It'll be the perfect opportunity to repay the compliment.

Debut
    May 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is actually a very good point, getting visas should be easy and youre very right...even the good quality 4 and 5* hotels are cheap compared to UK prices for example. I think im going to start planning a trip from now..

"Aus! Das spiel ist aus! Deutschland ist fussball Weltmeister!!"

== Accountant Cat ==

Debut
    Mar 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pallekele and Hambantota are not even built yet. Palle.kele is supposed to be the replacement for Asgiriya, while Ham.ban.tota is the home town of our current ruling dictator.

They're relaying Premadasa and Dambulla. I smell a disaster.

But it'll be a great trip for the travelling fans. Don't forget to check out Arugam Bay; one of the best big surf beaches in the world, not far from Hambantota.

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LionHeart
    Don't forget to check out Arugam Bay; one of the best big surf beaches in the world, not far from Hambantota.
    The ground itself is about half way between Hambantota and the Ude Walawe National Park, which is well worth a visit if you like elephants. It's also close to Yala West National Park too, which itself has a few elephants, as well as loads of other wildlife.

It's not really close to any major town, and is not even on a major road. The idea of putting a 30,000 seater stadium in such a location strikes me as nothing less than an act of megalomania.

Debut
    May 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very true.

I must admit I was really delighted when I saw the fixtures. All England's group games are in India apart from one in Chittagong. It ought to be easy to do this on the cheap, at least the early stages, and England don't tend to get beyond the early stages anyway! Plenty of time to get between venues on buses and trains, and little if any flying will be necessary. None at all in the group stage, in fact!

I think some of our lot are disappointed that we don't have any fixtures in Sri Lanka (looking at it from the beach holiday point of view), but for me this is just about perfect.

Another fixture that stands out for me is our meeting with Ireland in Bangalore. When we played Ireland in Belfast back in August, a couple of their fans took me and a couple of other England fans for dinner in a curry house and one of them insisted on paying for the whole meal. It'll be the perfect opportunity to repay the compliment.
    Indian buses and trains are not a pleasant experience. Trust me. The trains are not what you see on the tv with people on the roof and stuff, but are still pretty bad. Have to keep your eyes on your stuff. But if you want the Indian experience then by all means. But their domestic airline, Jet Airways, is pretty cheap, and has quality service. Better than most international airlines if im honest.

By the way....Chennai has a beach. Sort of. Nagpur is supposed to be pretty crap though by the way and it has two staduims. One crap one that is near the main part of the city, and the other which is supposedly one of the best stadiums in India, being newly built and all, but is an hour away. But your other games in Bangalore, Calcutta, Chennai and Chittagong allows you in big cities. Enough to do there to keep you occupied.
    Last edited by Zahid87; 10th November 2009 at 00:14.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What would be the GMT timings of these games?

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hasanb
    This is actually a very good point, getting visas should be easy and youre very right...even the good quality 4 and 5* hotels are cheap compared to UK prices for example. I think im going to start planning a trip from now..
    No visa required for stays of 30 days or less for citizens of Pakistan, USA, Canada, Australia, UK, and most EU countries.

http://www.slhclondon.org/hc/Instruc...structions.htm

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ground itself is about half way between Hambantota and the Ude Walawe National Park, which is well worth a visit if you like elephants. It's also close to Yala West National Park too, which itself has a few elephants, as well as loads of other wildlife.

It's not really close to any major town, and is not even on a major road. The idea of putting a 30,000 seater stadium in such a location strikes me as nothing less than an act of megalomania.

I"ve been to Yala and it's a great place!!!

Debut
    May 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'll probably base myself in and stick to colombo. Pakistan are playing 3 matches there including against SL and Australia and there are some good SL matches there too. Facilities and hotels will be top notch in Colombo.

For example both the Galadari and Continental hotels which are listed as 4/5* are prices between 35-40 pounds a night!! That is just fantastic value for money...I'm going to plan this trip well in advance to get the best prices.

== Accountant Cat ==

Debut
    May 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No visa required for stays of 30 days or less for citizens of Pakistan, USA, Canada, Australia, UK, and most EU countries.

http://www.slhclondon.org/hc/Instruc...structions.htm
    Oh right! In that case I might just randomly go there on a holiday next year as well. Im not used to having my country on a list of visa free entry countries....

== Accountant Cat ==

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matches I want to attend:

All the matches are on Bangladeshi weekends. I won't have to travel much to go to the matches except the one in Chittagong, haven't been there for 8 years.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinox
    Matches I want to attend:

All the matches are on Bangladeshi weekends. I won't have to travel much to go to the matches except the one in Chittagong, haven't been there for 8 years.
    Interesting how all the matches you want to attend will feature Bangladesh.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    May 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those interested, flights appear to be priced at 500 pounds return on Sri Lankan airlines.

That is London Heathrow - Colombo return

Emirates is priced at 640 pounds, so SL airlines is a good choice...its a good airline too.
    Last edited by hasanb; 10th November 2009 at 00:34.

== Accountant Cat ==

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luton Bad Boy
    Bangladesh will repeat the heroics of 07
    This will make many fans as happy as if Pak has won the world cup.

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indian buses and trains are not a pleasant experience. Trust me. The trains are not what you see on the tv with people on the roof and stuff, but are still pretty bad. Have to keep your eyes on your stuff. But if you want the Indian experience then by all means. But their domestic airline, Jet Airways, is pretty cheap, and has quality service. Better than most international airlines if im honest.

By the way....Chennai has a beach. Sort of. Nagpur is supposed to be pretty crap though by the way and it has two staduims. One crap one that is near the main part of the city, and the other which is supposedly one of the best stadiums in India, being newly built and all, but is an hour away. But your other games in Bangalore, Calcutta, Chennai and Chittagong allows you in big cities. Enough to do there to keep you occupied.
    I love Indian trains and have never had any problems with them - apart from late running of course. They are the way to see India in my opinion. Certainly you have to watch your stuff, but no more than in most parts of Europe, really. I generally travel with only hand luggage. Just as well, because many Indians seem to bring the entire contents of their house, which can take up most of the compartment in 3AC!

I was there when England played in Nagpur (at the old ground) in 2006. Nagpur isn't a bad place, just not very exciting. I've also been to Chittagong, but haven't yet been to the other places, which makes this fixture list all the more appealing.

I'm aware of the beach in Chennai, but as with Chowpatty Beach in Mumbai, I gather that it's a more of a place to take a stroll and grab a tasty snack rather than somewhere to go to take a dip in the sea!

Debut
    May 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Indian trains and have never had any problems with them - apart from late running of course. They are the way to see India in my opinion. Certainly you have to watch your stuff, but no more than in most parts of Europe, really. I generally travel with only hand luggage. Just as well, because many Indians seem to bring the entire contents of their house, which can take up most of the compartment in 3AC!

I was there when England played in Nagpur (at the old ground) in 2006. Nagpur isn't a bad place, just not very exciting. I've also been to Chittagong, but haven't yet been to the other places, which makes this fixture list all the more appealing.

I'm aware of the beach in Chennai, but as with Chowpatty Beach in Mumbai, I gather that it's a more of a place to take a stroll and grab a tasty snack rather than somewhere to go to take a dip in the sea!
    Sorry, wasn't aware that you have been to India before! How did you find it? Did you manage to go to Pakistan when England toured there before India, I think. Yeah, its a long strip, but like you said, a place to grab some snacks. You can always make the trip to Goa, or even Sri Lanka, if you want to spend a day ot two at the beach I guess.

I know im going to make the most of it. Stay in Sri Lanka for a bit, see the Pakistan games, and the semi final there. Then if I get enough time, go to the final in Mumbai and spend a few days in Lahore before I come back. I can just hope and pray that I get the holidays. Will have to try and make a deal with the head of my desk now!
    Last edited by Zahid87; 10th November 2009 at 01:45.

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hasanb
    For those interested, flights appear to be priced at 500 pounds return on Sri Lankan airlines.

That is London Heathrow - Colombo return

Emirates is priced at 640 pounds, so SL airlines is a good choice...its a good airline too.
    Sri Lankan are indeed a very good airline, and apart from charter flights, they are only airline flying direct from London.

Last time England toured, most of the cheapest deals people got involved flying with Qatar Airways. They are perfectly OK, although Doha is not the kind of airport where you want to have a very long wait for a connecting flight.

Debut
    May 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sri Lankan are indeed a very good airline, and apart from charter flights, they are only airline flying direct from London.

Last time England toured, most of the cheapest deals people got involved flying with Qatar Airways. They are perfectly OK, although Doha is not the kind of airport where you want to have a very long wait for a connecting flight.
    On further research it appears Etihad airways are offering return flights between london - colombo for 430 pounds, which is an exceptional price. Of course it does mean having a transit in Abu Dhabi.

My family is based in Dubai and i have lived there mysel for 19 odd years so i trave extensively to the mideast. Currently Doha and Abu Dhabi dont have the types of airports youd want to spend too much time at, however they are both in the middle of building large new airports and by 2012 those airports should be up and running.

430 pounds return is exceptional value thats for sure...I am going to book my flights and hotels well in advance because it is inevitable that they will raise prices as the tournament approaches.

== Accountant Cat ==

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, wasn't aware that you have been to India before! How did you find it? You manage to go to Pakistan when England toured there before India I think.
    I've been to India a couple of times. I have a love/hate relationship with the place really. When I first arrived in Delhi, a big part of me wanted to jump on the first plane home, but I stuck it out, and now it calls me back. Many other travellers I've spoken to say the same thing. It's such a full-on experience that life at home ends up feeling pretty dull in comparison after a while. I'm planning on spending a couple of weeks there in March/April after watching England in Dhaka.

As you say, I made it to Pakistan for England's last tour and hope to get back there one day. I'm going back to Bangladesh in March (I was there for England's last tour), and have been to Sri Lanka quite a few times. I even met my wife there, in fact.

Debut
    Nov 2006
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been to India a couple of times. I have a love/hate relationship with the place really. When I first arrived in Delhi, a big part of me wanted to jump on the first plane home, but I stuck it out, and now it calls me back. Many other travellers I've spoken to say the same thing. It's such a full-on experience that life at home ends up feeling pretty dull in comparison after a while. I'm planning on spending a couple of weeks there in March/April after watching England in Dhaka.

As you say, I made it to Pakistan for England's last tour and hope to get back there one day. I'm going back to Bangladesh in March (I was there for England's last tour), and have been to Sri Lanka quite a few times. I even met my wife there, in fact.
    Is she a Sri Lankan ?

Debut
    May 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess the sub continent is like that. When I went to Pakistan for the first time as a 10 year old, I hated it. Was nothing like the life I had in England. But after a while, I began to love the place and the culture. That started my obsession with all things Pakistan, and its history. Led to me persuading my parents to go to India to see historical sites. I have to say though, if I am honest, as a tourist, I would prefer India to Pakistan. Well certain parts at least. Lahore is to me the best city in the sub-continent, but apart from that.....

And I see what you mean. Home seems so quiet after coming back from the sub continent.

Wow though. Amazing meeting your wife there!

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bublu Bhuyan
    Is she a Sri Lankan ?
    Canadian!

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

India open 2011 showpiece against Bangladesh

MUMBAI: India will clash with Bangladesh in the opening match of the 2011 World Cup in Dhaka on February 19, the International Cricket Council (ICC) said on Monday.

The first match takes place two days after the opening ceremony of the 14-nation showpiece at the same venue in Dhaka on February 17, according to the schedule released by the ICC here.

The final of the 43-day tournament, being co-hosted by India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, will take place at the renovated Wankhede stadium in India’s financial capital of Mumbai on April 2.

The teams have been divided into two groups of seven each for the preliminary league, with the top four from each group advancing to the quarter-finals. Defending champions Australia head group A which includes Pakistan, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe and two qualifiers, Canada and Kenya.

The other group comprises India, South Africa, England, West Indies, Bangladesh and qualifiers Ireland, Netherlands. India will host 29 matches at eight venues, Sri Lanka 12 at three venues and Bangladesh eight at two places, after Pakistan were removed as co-hosts by the ICC due to security fears in the volatile nation.

Pakistan, who were wary of playing in India due to political tensions between the two nations, will play its six league matches in Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka will host five of its matches at two new venues in southern Hambantota and Pallekele, near the hill town of Kandy, where cricket stadiums are under construction.

The remaining seven games in the island nation will be held at the Premadasa stadium in Colombo. India has picked eight regular Test centres — Mumbai, Mohali, Ahmedabad, Nagpur, Kolkata, Bangalore, Chennai, New Delhi — for its matches.

The Bangladeshi capital of Dhaka will host six matches and the opening ceremony, while two games will be played in the port city of Chittagong. The 2011 event is a week shorter than the one held in the Caribbean in 2007 and will have 49 matches, two less than the previous tournament.

“This announcement is an important indicator of the excellent progress we are making towards our flagship event which brings together teams from all our members in nation-versus-nation action,” ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat said.

“Preparation of venues and safety and security planning continues, and I am confident that the host countries will showcase our great sport with its great spirit in the best possible light.”ICC vice-president Sharad Pawar, who is chairman of the organising committee, said he looked forward to a great tournament.

“The sub-continent offers some great facilities for the cricketers, spectators, sponsors and media, with some brand new stadia to be built and others to be upgraded,” said Pawar. “The schedule will allow the venues to focus on the task at hand to plan and implement their preparations, and ensure they are ready to welcome the world to this beautiful, historic and cricket-loving region in 2011.”

(Jang News)

Debut
    May 2007
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing i'm worried about is the new stadiums which will used in Sri Lanka. New stadiums mean brand new very lively pitches that haven’t been used before?

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohsin
    The thing i'm worried about is the new stadiums which will used in Sri Lanka. New stadiums mean brand new very lively pitches that haven’t been used before?
    Hambanthota will look something like this.

Last edited by buddhika_s; 11th November 2009 at 08:36.

Debut
    Jan 2000
    Venue
    Virginia, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pics, so both new stadiums will be near Kandy? Pakistani batsmen better preapre for some seam movement.

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahoria
    Thanks for the pics, so both new stadiums will be near Kandy? Pakistani batsmen better preapre for some seam movement.
    No I think Pallekale is being built near Kandy to replace Asgiriya.

This one is built in the south, near Galle.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Impact on World Cup

Although it is still too far away and in teh Subcontinental politics-1 year is too long to predict. The real reason of today's IPL happening was that the Franchises were told not to bid for Pakistani players as the Government was not going to grant them visas any way citing host of @#%@%@# (fill in the blanks from indian perspective).
    Who can guarantee the same would not happen when it is time for 2011 world cup, BCCI can easily state that "they can't guarantee security of Pak players only" while the rest of the teams are ok. Will some one stand forr u?? Highly unlikely so get ready for another round of massive Cricketing fiasco when that happens. As raised in another post it is time for Pakistani players to come out with a united face and the board as well instead of going to ICC every month in trying to have a billateral series with BCCI. Where does Mr. Wasim Akram stands on this, it is make or break for him as well.

Supporting Pakistan Cricket team ALWAYS!!

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most if not all Pakistan matches are in Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. We will see if we get to the finals

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 12thMan
    I think most if not all Pakistan matches are in Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. We will see if we get to the finals
    yes but one semi-final and the final is in India

Supporting Pakistan Cricket team ALWAYS!!

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a good point, but even I don't think India will use that as an excuse because we all know they can afford the security. Today has been a very embarrasing day for India, much more so than for Pakistan (they have the trophy while India went home straight away, nobody doubts the quality of players. ) their auctioning tactics were displayed in front of the cricketing globe but the fallout of today which resulted in Modi and co spewing terrible terrible lies has given a bit of a vindictive, underhand perception of Indian people to everyone else. I think the fact that this will be well document and the press are likely to have a field day, not only today, but leading up to the WC, should put enough pressure on the BCCI.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When does the tournament start?

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sohaib-789
    When does the tournament start?
    too early for a thread

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

too early for a thread

No i actually wanted to know when it starts

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No i actually wanted to know when it starts

افضال محمود

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It says in the OP. 2nd or 3rd line. looks like the article was updated

"India and Bangladesh, two of the co-hosts, will contest the opening game of the 2011 World Cup in Mirpur on February 19. The fixtures were announced at an ICC event in Mumbai on Monday. "
    Last edited by 12thMan; 19th January 2010 at 22:40.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by afzaal1988

Exact dates of the pakistan matches would be nice

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exact dates of the pakistan matches would be nice
    just scoll up and who schedule is there. Don't be lazy

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJee

BCCI is behing this, we all know that, they are hoping Pakistan don't get through to second round and go out of WC without setting a foot in India...wow![/B]

do we really care if we dont play in india

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    just scoll up and who schedule is there. Don't be lazy

افضال محمود

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The issue here is that they will do anything to get pakistan out on the first round so they dont have to go to india for semi-finals.

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what BCCI will do when Pakitsan makes it to the final and India doesent

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    The only thing that keeps me vaguely interested in this is that we keep winning them. What a farcical schedule.

So we play
    Zimbabwe
    New Zealand
    Sri Lanka
    Kenya
    Canada

Five minnows in a row before Pakistan who we own at cricket.

After all that then go into a group of 8? Most likely finish near the top so play another minnow in the QF.....

What a joke of a tournament this has become, all these changes just so India and Pakistan are prevented from going home early.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are sri lanka wickets flat?

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or slow- low ones.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sri lanka is the last place our cricketers would want to play.