Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What went wrong with Pakistan cricket?

There have been countless thread, articles and discussions about the downfall of Pakistan cricket. People are blaming captains, PCB chiefs, selectors, players, lack of cricket in the country, emergence of 20/20 cricket and so on. Yes above all are responsible to some extent the downfall of Pakistan cricket but these factors are not the sole reasons for our downfall.

One of the main reason for our downfall is lack of planning, not have a proper vision for the future of cricket and selfish behavior of the senior players. Let's face it, our cricket culture is extremely selfish and narcissistic and the senior players of Pakistan cricket ( current and past with some exceptions) are extremely power hungry and they have purposely blocked some of the deserving players and did not allow the board to prepare their replacements.

Apart from Imran Khan and to some extent Younis Khan, none of the captain has allowed and identify any talented player to come to the team and let them settle. ( Spotting the talent by captain, was ouR main strength in the past). Majority of our captains were playing with their buddy 11 ( including Waseem, Waqar and Inzi). They were all selfish and purposely blocked the youngsters, so their own position in the team remains solid.

Our actual downfall started after the world cup of 2003, when Waseem and Waqar were forced to retire and there were no replacement bowler available. After 2003, we were all at the mercy of Akhtar and Sami's bowling along with Kaneria, all of them played majority of the matches for Pakistan. We were not smart enough to realize that Sami is not good enough for international cricket and Akhtar is not good enough for any form of cricket ( due to his personnel antics) and Kaneria is the only spinner who does not spin the ball, but we still played with these three bowlers majority of the time.

In batting, we had only Inzi, Yousuf and Younis. We did not allow any opener to settle down, there must have been 15-20 players tried for this position but none of them were allowed to settled down. Some of the players did show promise in test and they were thrown out after their failure on one day and players who showed promise in one day cricket, were thrown out after their failure in test cricket. In middle order, we used players like Malik and Faisal Iqbal most of the time, who were not good enough to play club cricket and we persisted in test cricket. It has been more than a decade that we have not found a decent batsman ( too early to predict about Umar Akmal).

For the last six years, we have been stuck with the wicket keeper who was not good behind the stump and have dropped countless catches and stumping opportunities and do date, we are still using him as a main wicket keeper..

In these years, we have given so many chances to players but majority of them were mediocre and below average. There is nothing wrong for giving chances to players but the biggest mistake we made, we stuck with them for long period of time instead of throw them out once realizing their true potential.

If you look from top to bottom, our cricket set up is based on nepotism and political wing of the ruling party.Our majority of the captains, selectors and cricket administrators are guilty of nepotism over the need for the team. It is only country, where players like, Faisal Iqbal, Sami, Malik, Farhat, Nazir, Kamran Akmal, Kaneria, ..despite being pathetic can play so many matches. What Javed Miandad has done ( apart from gifting Faisal Iqbal to our country) since he has been associated with the cricket team at different positions?

It was Inzi's timely batting in both forms of the game, we were able to survive for that long, otherwise we were never a good and consistent team. But once he retired, we were totally exposed in international cricket. Yes Malik and Yousuf are not good captain and I do not expect miracles from Afridi's captaincy either ( if he was given a chance). Captaincy is one problem, but not the ultimate cause of our failures. We have to adopt a different strategy and play with the best possible players to compete at international level. Cricket has been changed, it has not been the same game 10 years ago. But we are still playing 80's cricket.

We cannot match Australia's professionalism, we cannot match Indian dollars, but we can still do better if we adopt honesty and sincerity and leave aside our narcissism
    . I still believe that we have enough talent to compete with the best teams but we need somebody to identify that talent. Our victories in under 19 cricket is proof of our talent but we have failed to move from under 19 level and one of the reason, we are not able to transformed these players into international players not due to proper structure or facilities, but not able to give them a chance on timely manner. We need honest and sincere people in our cricket.

You don't know and you don't know that you don't know.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Igloo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think our team ever fully recovered mentally or structurally after the WC 2003 debacle.

The way we axed all our senior players and inducted the likes of Hafeez and Gul into the squad for that flower cup thing against Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka was just plain stupid.

Since then our team has been in this consistent belief that we are still in the "rebuilding" phase.

This is why Yousuf is so deluded, he think that our team is still young and inexperienced and still recovering from the WC 2003 loss.

Sadly, our players' and administration's minds are stuck in the 90's.

Debut
    Jul 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it was the world cup 1999 loss which started our downward slide. However I'm an optimistic and hope the next 10 yrs we can get back on track. We have a few good current players ( Asif Aamir Umar Fawad Butt & Afridi ) and hopefully we can find a few more. finally I still belive both yusuf and younis can still serve Pakistan for 2-3 yrs.

We cant expect PCB to be professional beacuse unfortunately it's just not in our culture. We as a nation think about number 1 first before anyone else. The guys who really care about our cricket would get appointed- But I pray I'm so wrong
    Last edited by Tay'yab-Ali Malik; 30th January 2010 at 03:38.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Watford, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good article and agree with the vast majority of it. Pakistan cricket is just not willing to take risks - risks to give new players a chance, captains that are not willing to take gambles on the field and coaches that are living 20 years back who don't want to or scared to adapt.

Risks does not mean becoming reckless, but playing cricket without fear. Apart from a couple players, this team is full of it.

Debut
    Jun 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May as well have underlined the whole thing.

Also, many posters have been saying the exact same things for many months, and even years. But no doubt this will be used as another self-aggrandising excerpt.

Debut
    Mar 2006
    Venue
    somewhere in Tora Bora
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To summarize,

"PCB is incompetent and there is no accountability process".

DOWN WITH ISRAEL !!

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghoshtbuster

Also, many posters have been saying the exact same things for many months, and even years. But no doubt this will be used as another self-aggrandising excerpt.
    Spot on. But this statement stands out for me:

e were not smart enough to realize that Sami is not good enough for international cricket and Akhtar is not good enough for any form of cricket ( due to his personnel antics) and Kaneria is the only spinner who does not spin the ball, but we still played with these three bowlers majority of the time.
    What? Repeat that. Did you watch Pakistani cricket back then or you look at numbers now and decide they weren't anything. Akthar was still great then and won us test matches. Sami looked promising in 2002 and up to that India series he was a great bowler for us. If you remember, the commentators kept singing his praises because they thought here is a kid who is mentally tough and going to go all the way. Kaneria too was very good winning us test matches vs West Indies, Sri Lanka, and England.

No one likes me cause I am a Paul Heyman guy.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 90MPH
    Good article and agree with the vast majority of it. Pakistan cricket is just not willing to take risks - risks to give new players a chance, captains that are not willing to take gambles on the field and coaches that are living 20 years back who don't want to or scared to adapt.

Risks does not mean becoming reckless, but playing cricket without fear. Apart from a couple players, this team is full of it.
    Wow...what a turn coat

I can tell you another reason for this downfall. When people mentioned truth than fans acts anger and label those who speaks truth as Indians. Because they have tunnel vision and all they see is just glory of the past.

I think if people start using their rationale and had accepted earlier that we are just an okay team, instead of saying that we have all the talent and we are the best team, I am sure people wouldnt have hurt this much. I am sure fans of NZ, SL, WI and England have more reasonable attitude towards their team and dont associate anything unrealistic with them. But here, it is a different story. Everyone is fantacizing about 100 mph bowlers.

Nothing really surprises me here as it was all expected and I am talking about all this for some time.

Debut
    Aug 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amir
    Sami looked promising in 2002 and up to that India series he was a great bowler for us.
    I must have slept through this earth shattering event - when did it happen?

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, we do have good Bowlers in domestics, but I don't think there is miles of difference between them and the playing 11 at moment.

For examply, we could maximum test the following young bowlers:

1. Riaz Wahab
    2. Muhammad Talha

Actually we have seen of both of them. There is not big difference between these 2 and the playing 3, i.e.

1. RANA
    2. Gulla
    3. Sami

If we could only complete out attack of Fast Bowlers (i.e. 3 Bowlers).

I am very much satisfied with Aamir and Asif in ODIs. Yes, Asif is excellent in ODIs too and he has proved it. Earlier, he got the elbow injury and his speed was reduced only to 125kmh. But after one year break, he is again bowling at 135+ kmh and I am fully satisfied with him. Only Problem with him is this that he is not the LAST Overs bowler, and we need one along with Aamir to finish the game.

Batting is Hopeless Matter, even in Domestics

And our Batting is in much much worse situation than our Bowling. There is absolutely no Aggressive Batting Talent who could replace the following Players:

1. Yousuf
    2. Younus

I just hope Misbah & Malik are already out of Team and Umar Akmal and Fawad Alam have already taken their place permanently.

I don't think Umar Amin or any other LAD from Domestic cricket is good enough Aggressive ODI batsman who could replace the Talents which we see in form of Yousuf and Younus. Very sad, but it is true.

India is very lucky to have some brilliant Batting Talents at moment (Sehwag, Gambhir, Raina, Yuvi, Dhoni, Tendulkar, ...... All match Winners)

As Openers, we have only chance if following batsmen start giving better performances:

1. Salman Butt (at least he showed some aggressive behaviour in this Series. Although I don't like Butt Sahib personally as he is most of the time very confused and non-aggressive batsman, but still he deserve a longer run now)

2. Imran Farhat (we have not checked him for ODIs. I think he is better in ODIs than Tests)

3. Khalid Latif (we have not seen enough of him)

4. Nasir Jamshed (Once I really thought we have found that aggressive Opener which we were looking for a long long time. Sadly he has also lost it during last 1-2 years)

I don't see any other Opener Batting Talent who is established enough for WC 2011 (yes we have Ahmad Shehzad and Babar Azam, but still they have to prove themselves a lot)

Then comes Wicket Keeping at end. We still have to find a replacement of Kami. He is "Average" at best, but Haddin is better than Kami both with gloves and bat. I am afraid we don't have any such Wicket Keeping Talent who is better batsman than Kami at moment. For sure Sarfraz Ahmad is good with gloves, but not with bat.

Question: Do you people believe Sarfraz Ahmad has got the ability to learn and become better Batsman than he is at moment? Personally I believe he is Rashid Latif type batsman and has good TEST techniques. But not sure about ODIs and 20/20s.

One Last thing is about the All Rounder Issues. We could not go with 3 Regular Fast Bowlers + Saeed Ajmal as 4th Bowler + Afridi as Bowling All Rounder. In total it gives us 4 Regular Bowlers + 1 Bowling All Rounder and this makes out Batting Tail much much longer than we could afford.

For me, still team is out of Balance due to Saeed Ajmal. We should get 2 more "Batting All Rounders" who should replace Saeed Ajmal at end. (Saeed Ajmal is Ok for 20/20 where we don't need much of batting, but not for ODIs).

I just hope one day Babar Azam, Ahmad Shehzad could make to the team as both of them are also very good bowlers too.

I am disappointed with the Bowling of Hammad Azam in Finals (actually I wrote earlier that Yasir Arafat is much much better All Rounder than Hammad Azam).

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by googly
    I must have slept through this earth shattering event - when did it happen?
    We played 3 test series, BD, SA and NZ. I remember him ok vs BD, SA he didn't do too badly and NZ was so and so. He wasn't fantastic in tests that much (but what do you expect of a young bowler?) but he sure was in ODIs.

He was vital in that Sharjah Cup victory. Then he was the talk of our 3 ODI England series. He did well vs Bangladesh and then ripped through a mediocre NZ. It was a crap team but the manner he did it in was pure ruthless. And then in India ODI series he bowled pretty well too and took wickets at vital times. I remember how much Manjrekar and Haysmen were saying this boy was the to be a star. Our attack was not bad in 2003, unfortunately they just did not mature or develop after some initial promise.

No one likes me cause I am a Paul Heyman guy.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

too true...another one suffering from the Meri Awaaz Suno syndrome.

Proud Shehri of Misbah Ka Pakistan

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yaar we all know what IS wrong with Pak cricket so how about fixing it?

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's quite simple really - we have always had a pathetic and unprofessional cricket board. The same can be said about our first class system and the same again about our cricket team.

Where we have made up for it all in the past is with our breath taking talent - the Imran Khans, Waseem Akrams, Waqar Younus, Inzi, Saeed Anwar, Miandad, Hanif Mohammed - to name but a few. Even though there was big scale in fighting within these teams of the past, they were at least able to hold their own because of sheer talent.

What is hurting us today is that we're a far less talented side, yet there is as much in fighting as ever. We may still have two fantastic players in Younus and Mohammed Yousuf but both are terribly out of form (yes Yousuf too - 2nd tour in a row without a century!) You sort of feel that Inzi was holding the glue in that middle order, around whom Younus and Yousuf batted. Unfortunatley, Yousuf has shown that he just hasn't got the talent of Inzi when it comes to determination. Younus I feel has that potential but his career has had its ups and downs.

Although I strongly support Afridi to become the next captain, it also highlights a complete lack of talent in our ranks where we almost have no choice but to give the captaincy to a guy who hasn't played test cricket for 3 years.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well that could mean one of two things:

a) Pakistan continue to repeat the same obvious mistakes

b) Some PPs seriously need to get out more, especially the ones averaging 10+ posts a day! How you can have so much to say, every single day is just amazing. I'm not even going to mention PPs who must be averaging close to 50 posts a day.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Bay area, CA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think OP has a point. Saying board is unprofessional is not really the only problem. When we were good the board was still unprofessional. The difference was we had real talent and captains who were leaders.

Now we have internet and masala news. You hit a century or take 5 wkts and you are the best thing on earth. This gets into players head they think they are somebody. Before you know it they are performing like crap and then once in a while they give a good performance and all their sins are washed. Look at Malik, Misbah, Akmal, Farhat, Butt, Sami, etc. they all fall in that category. They keep performing poorly and randomly giving a decent performance to keep attached to the team like a leach. A difficult decision has to be made to get rid of these pretenders and get some contenders back into the team

Debut
    Nov 2009
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just don't know where to start with Pakistan.

Ya Nabi Salam Alayka

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What went wrong with Pakistan ?

ANs) They run into Australia every now and then....

Pakistan will beat or remain competitive against any other side except Oz because their quality of batting is just not good enuff for taking on OZ............Seriously hope after the Pakistan 'home' series in Eng the stat wont show 15-0 Oz......

"Everything else seems so superfluous." ~ Albert Einstein on the Bhagavad-Gita

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Romali_rotti

Pakistan will beat or remain competitive against any other side except Oz because their quality of batting is just not good enuff for taking on OZ............Seriously hope after the Pakistan 'home' series in Eng the stat wont show 15-0 Oz......
    too true...playing Australia in Australia is kryptonite for our batsmen...even our 'legendary' batsmen such as Saeed Anwar and Inzamam have not very flattering records against the Aussies...they just can't cope with the Aussies bowling on their home turf...but there are exceptions

Proud Shehri of Misbah Ka Pakistan

Debut
    May 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Romali_rotti

Its phycological more than anything now

Sure, the likes of Mcgrath and Warne, you would have to say we were not good enough.

But the Sydney test is a prime example where we just didn't believe we could beat Australia and hence lost the match.

The Aussie bowling is good-world class. But really, they aren't half as good as the Mcgrath Warne combination.
    Heck, we've been giving wickets to Hauritz and Watson mostly.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    What went wrong?

Here are the key events that have led us here: 2006 oval aftermath where the jamaat were blamed for standing upto hair coz we are supposed to be achay bachay and not honourable pakistanis

2007 wc the jamaat got blamed for woolmers death, this help destroy belief and unity

DNA an American with the cricketing knowledge of a two year old was made chairman

Malik acha bacha was given the captaany!!

those events above have destroyed pak cricket and you can even use stats to prove it!!
    Last edited by the Great Khan; 30th January 2010 at 15:06.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Venue
    Birmingham, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe it went wrong soon after 1992 in some ways (in terms of organisation). With the champion team Pakistan had during the 1990s, we never played a single 5 test match series after 1992. We never even played more than 3 until 2006.

That team needed to play long big series in Australia, SA and WI. We needed to play tests regularly on big tours and bed some good young players with a good test temperament. However, we did not do that- and the players were brought up in a main culture of one-day cricket. Unlike Imran and co who played in England, these boys were brought up only playing on flat wickets- and mostly ODIs at that.

Doing this, how could one expect the younger batsmen to go Aus, SA etc and do well?

We have a four-match series in England this summer- I am worried

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    8 years on and we're at the same stage.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lack of talent.
    2009 attacks (This was gross misfortune).
    Other teams professionalized/evolved their games.
    Bad management.

The big one is lack of talent. No world class pacers in a decade, no world class batsmen since YK.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unbelievable how we continue to win trophies here and there, despite the complere disastrous circumstances. While the likes of South Africa and New Zealand are still without any major accomplishments. Pakistan has declined for sure, but it says a lot about some consistent teams where they cannot win silverware despite having the talent, management and good domestic structures in place.

Debut
    Nov 2016
    Venue
    Dhaka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong. The only thing lack is PATIENCE. Not the PCB nor the fans have any patience,hence no long term solution. Everyone wants result all of a suddend. This is the main problem.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1756 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nil Dhumrojal View Post
    Nothing wrong. The only thing lack is PATIENCE. Not the PCB nor the fans have any patience,hence no long term solution. Everyone wants result all of a suddend. This is the main problem.
    Just because other teams played well, doesnt mean there is something wrong with our cricket

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Mar 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Fakhar Zaman and Babar poor form cost Pakistan dearly. BD only setup a small total.

If both of these batsman played well pretty sure we would have lost that game.

I stil not convinced by FZ. He just oozes flukes and slogging. Pakistan should have persisted with players like Ahmed Shehzad, Umar Akmal, and even Kamran
    Akmal.

Also, Pak fans are blinded by that CT wins. In tournament, any teams that peaks at the right time can win it. They need to look for long term solution. Their pacers come and goes basically every new series.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BDfanforever View Post
    I think Fakhar Zaman and Babar poor form cost Pakistan dearly. BD only setup a small total.

If both of these batsman played well pretty sure we would have lost that game.

I stil not convinced by FZ. He just oozes flukes and slogging. Pakistan should have persisted with players like Ahmed Shehzad, Umar Akmal, and even Kamran
    Akmal.

Also, Pak fans are blinded by that CT wins. In tournament, any teams that peaks at the right time can win it. They need to look for long term solution. Their pacers come and goes basically every new series.
    I am waiting for the day the Bangladesh team peaks at the right moment.

Debut
    Mar 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Flanders View Post
    I am waiting for the day the Bangladesh team peaks at the right moment.
    For that to happen, we have to not meet India in a knock out match. We are unlucky to keep getting India in knock out matches.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Maintaining consistency.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For that to happen, we have to not meet India in a knock out match. We are unlucky to keep getting India in knock out matches.
    Lol at unlucky

You don't lose all the matches for more than 3 years against a team due to bad luck but due to quality of opposition. Also its not about India, you guys choked against a weak Lanka in the tri series final at home.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canford Cliffs View Post
    Lol at unlucky

You don't lose all the matches for more than 3 years against a team due to bad luck but due to quality of opposition. Also its not about India, you guys choked against a weak Lanka in the tri series final at home.

You never know, Tamim, Mushy, Shakib, Mustafiz, Riyad...

They got some decent players.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not keeping up with the demands that the modern game now requires.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    999 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zaid65 View Post
    One of the main reason for our downfall is lack of planning, not have a proper vision for the future of cricket and selfish behavior of the senior players. Let's face it, our cricket culture is extremely selfish and narcissistic and the senior players of Pakistan cricket ( current and past with some exceptions) are extremely power hungry and they have purposely blocked some of the deserving players and did not allow the board to prepare their replacements.
    Not much has changed in this regard nine years later.

Also, I miss the OP.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Its the overall society and economy that's impacting all sporting activities in Pakistan. An average person can't access to the quality of food at par with the global north. There's malnutrition, stunted growth, high infant mortality rate, low life expectancy, unchecked population growth and the whole range of other issues that take their tole on human body.
    Similarly, there is a belief in cricketing fraternity that you either pick cricket or education. In the previous era we had produced cricketers like Rashid Lateef and Saeed Anwar who were degree holders, whereas now a days players are being forced to give up on education with the exceptions of some players attaining higher education degrees. Not everyone can believe in a system that lacks basic merit in selection so the parents don't allow their kids to pursue cricket.
    The nature of the economy and the society is such that its not what you know that matter but who you know that does. This also implies on cricket. The ****** system is rampant.
    PCB also didn't help its cause by introducing draft system on every level of cricket. It took the incentive away from the regions to produce their own brands.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me the writing was on the wall the day that Umar Gul became the spearhead of the ‘pace’ attack and Mohammed Hafeez became the country’s most accomplished opening batsman and both were automatic selections in all formats of the game... the good times were well and truly over, Pakistan team of the 90s which was blessed with so many world class stars, it was now all in the past.

And at some point the opening bowling pair was Wahab and Gul and opening batting pair was Hafeez and Farhat — that was when it was all clear. We once had Wasim and Waqar opening the bowling and Anwar and Sohail opening the batting I imagined.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    There was a time that we would look forward to keen battles:
    waugh vs akram
    tendulkar vs razzaq (hehe)
    saeed anwar vs mcgrath...

now we have to look forward to
    hafeez vs steyn and we root for steyn.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    we thought our team was in shambles in 2010.... little did we know what was to follow

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We did well in Misbah era people forget. Got to #1 test rankings and won odi series in SA and India. I think captaincy is the problem with this team, change the captain, bring someone that is educated (Shan Masood) knows how to manage people (Shan Masood) and gives some performance once in a while (Shan Masood) and we will be a top side again. The bar isn't very high when Kohli plus 10 is beating Australia in Australia...
    Last edited by sjahmed23; 11th January 2019 at 08:08.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lack of talent to put it mildly.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5001 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    About time we acknowledge the fact that the lack of talent in Pakistan is a genuine problem.

We make too many excuses. There are no world class players left in the country.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    8 years on and we are somewhat in the same position. Except we went from Younis and Yousuf to carrying Malik, Hafeez and Shafiq in the team.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Always hilarious to cycle through old threads that prop up today's failed player's as the "next big thing" then.

Names in this thread proclaim Nasir Jamshed and Wahab Riaz as Pakistan's supposed saviours, but the results are here to see.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Crook people are running PCB. The selection procedure is totally favoritism.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Brisbane, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    About time we acknowledge the fact that the lack of talent in Pakistan is a genuine problem.

Until this is acknowledged we will never move forward.

Pakistan cricket is at a rock bottom at the moment.

'We know which Pakistan has turned up today...'

'It's the one to be afraid of.'

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1787 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    PCA (Professional Cricketer’s Association) forcing ECB (TCCB then) to reduce number of foreign players in each County to 1 in playing XI & 2 in squad; from 4 & almost unlimited.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MeanAndGreen View Post
    Until this is acknowledged we will never move forward.

Pakistan cricket is at a rock bottom at the moment.
    C'mon bro. SA 262 all out. Not rock bottom .

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    C'mon bro. SA 262 all out. Not rock bottom .
    Well, Pakistan 7/2. The future captain Shan Masood and the test mainstay Azhar Ali gone on consecutive balls.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Well, Pakistan 7/2. The future captain Shan Masood and the test mainstay Azhar Ali gone on consecutive balls.
    Still not rock bottom...

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't you lot recently lose to Afghanistan in a series played in India recently?

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post

Pakistan obsession with talent is part of the problem. "Talent" needs to be polished, trained, and practiced into putting professional performances in today's age. That's the part that's missing in Pak cricket - the professionalism, the FC structure, the resources. I don't think there's a talent deficit. Its just that cricket has moved on from the days where mere 'talent' and basic drills were enough to be competitive at the top level.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    PCA (Professional Cricketer’s Association) forcing ECB (TCCB then) to reduce number of foreign players in each County to 1 in playing XI & 2 in squad; from 4 & almost unlimited.
    We have Bingo.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1787 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Banter View Post
    We have Bingo.
    It was exactly 20 years back (1-2 years edhar-udhar), that rule was enforced - since then, only one player has debuted who will get into all time PAK 20 for Test & ODI. After AH Karder, Fazal & Khan Md. in 1956 summer (again 1-2 years), for 10-12 years no PAK player played in Counties - tell me one PAK player you know who has debuted in 1960s - I can name 5: Intekhab, Mushtaq, Asif, Mazid & Sarfraz

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5001 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Banter View Post
    Pakistan obsession with talent is part of the problem. "Talent" needs to be polished, trained, and practiced into putting professional performances in today's age. That's the part that's missing in Pak cricket - the professionalism, the FC structure, the resources. I don't think there's a talent deficit. Its just that cricket has moved on from the days where mere 'talent' and basic drills were enough to be competitive at the top level.
    I totally agree, and that is what I meant when I said that we don’t have talent. In other words, we don’t have any world class players in our system today that can take this team to the next level.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We have been going downwards since 1992. After imran khan retired Pakistani cricketers starting playing for themselves and then players starting fixing matches. This led to lack of team spirit in 90s which is why we underperformed so much in 90s. Then by early 2000s most of our star players like wasim and waqar had retired and from then on we haven't been able to produce those type star players.
    Also, domestic cricket and grass roots cricket has always been overlooked.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    And is all that enough to label a side at rock bottom? Future captain might have failed here but have scored well in this series.Also Azhar is not our test mainstay anymore.

Pak will end up losing this test match as well, there is no doubt that the test team is doing poorly, but there is still hope and the team is likely to do better in future.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The test team ran into a lot of bad luck after Misbah and younis retired. When they were about to retire it wasn’t looking too bad for Pakistan as Azhar and Asad were performing quite decently and were looking set to take the mantle from time however they completely failes. If the core of your batting just doesn’t score any runs they not only deprive the team of their runs but also put the rest of the team under pressure. Babar is just starting off in test cricket and has showed on numerous occasions that he has a lot of potential to be the main batsman in the team but it’s just unfair to expect him to do what Younis and Misbah used to do for the team.

Debut
    Apr 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Younis Khan not being a permanent captain was the biggest missed opportunity for Pakistan cricket.

It is quite simple really. Pakistan teams only really thrive when you have a strong captain who leads from the front and whose place in secure.

The biggest tragedy for me is that Younis Khan, who was a natural, aggressive selfless and dynamic leader, wasn't able to take charge in a long run after Inzi post 2007. This is partially his fault, the players and the administration. But they should have seen how important having a stable captain was rather than the musical chairs.

Had Younis Khan taken over 2008 onwards in a sustained run, we wouldnt have had the spot fixing saga or the rather timid approach to playing abroad we have now. It was a major missed opportunity.

I give credit to Inzi and Misbah for their captaincy runs but they lacked the aggressive instinct outside of home and that harmed Pakistan cricket IMO.