Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tu

why do we use the word "tu" for Allah? i was not allowed to speak like that even with little children. i had to use the word "tum" for them and "aap" for elders. it is all about showing respect. so why use the word tu for Allaah and not something more respectful, like aap.

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True that I was not allowed or atleast discouraged to say tu. Sounded like street language when taken as Urdu. Maybe Punjabi has regular usage and not the same (I am referring to tussi which probably comes from tu)
    Last edited by 12thMan; 5th March 2010 at 19:43.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    same as with you 2, I always use Aap, Tu sounds too rude.

Proud Shehri of Misbah Ka Pakistan

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so why then do we use Tu for Allah? we should be using Aap.even for Hazrat Mohammad [saw], we use aap.

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    Tokyo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it signifies closeness to God. I'll sometimes use 'Tu' when speaking to friends and it's because I know them well enough and have a comfort level where this is acceptable. Although I guess this is just the Punjabi influence I've had.

Also, "Aap" can mean plural (as in "Aap log") which in the case of Allah we try to avoid altogether as Allah is wholly singular.

And sometimes you don't even have to use 'Tu'. For example, "Ya Allah mujhay bacha lay", the only way this makes sense is if it's in the 'Tu' form, otherwise you would say "Ya Allah mujhay bacha lo" for 'Tum', or "Ya Allah mujhay bacha lain" for 'Aap'. If that makes any sense.

Jo aql ka ghulam ho, woh dil na kar qubool
    Disown the heart that's slave to the mind
    -Iqbal

Debut
    May 2007
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it really matter, i use 'aap' myself (for anyone older than me, Allah etc...as i have been taught to respect BUT does it really matter if someone was to say 'tu' even though they still have the same love and respect in their heart as someone saying 'aap' does?

Its all about whats in the heart and Allah knows...whats on the outside makes no difference imo.

Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf...for the Quaid(ra) and Iqbal(ra)'s Pakistan

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I speak to elders in my family I either use 'aap' or 'tussi' depending on whether I'm speaking Urdu or Punjabi.
    'Tu' does sound a little rude, thus I don't use that while referring to elders.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada -- ( Lahore)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its because " tu " refers to something - could be an object, but when you say " aap " or " tum", you are basically referring to human beings or something that is alive. I think this is why they say " tu " to Allah (SWT) . But you've got a really good point .

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gramatically, 'tu' is the correct term to use when addressing one person. 'Tum' and 'aap'
    is for addressing two or more people. So 'tu' for God emphasises His Unity.

Life is short. Worry about what comes after.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Munich
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aap in Urdu is used to highlight plurality, which in our religion's context isn't obviously acceptable.

Btw, the words tu/tum are more commonplace among friends or people of same age. It gets awkward speaking to a friend using 'aap'.

Har ek baat pe kehte ho tum ke 'tu kya hai'
    tumheen kaho ke yeh andaaz-e-guftaguu kyaa hai

-Ghalib
    Last edited by saad1024; 22nd April 2011 at 20:02.

75% of the earth is covered by water and the remaining 25% by Jonty Rhodes

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for explaining it to me so well it makes sense now .

i was a little confused because tu is considered badtameezi .

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vous.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Munda Pakistani View Post
    Gramatically, 'tu' is the correct term to use when addressing one person. 'Tum' and 'aap'
    is for addressing two or more people. So 'tu' for God emphasises His Unity.
    This is most likely wrong.

Tu, tum and aap in Hindi (and therefore most likely Urdu and Punjabi which are sister languages) can be used for one person. More than one generally would be "tum log".

In Bengali (another sister Indo-European language) the forms for one person are "tui", "tumi" and "aapni", and for more than one would be "tomra".

In yet another Indo-European language, for one person it may be tu or vous, whereas for multiple persons it is vous.