Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Putting Umer Akmal exactly where he belongs ?

Ian Chappell call either him, his batting style or his mind set, STUPID !!!
    and I don't find myself disagreeing with him.

I guess we need to bring Fawad Alam up in the order and either push Umer Akmal down the order or give him some rest and let him think about if he is really serious enough to play for Pakistan?

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    New Jersey, NJ
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ditto...what has umar done since his initial 5 innings or so???? WHAT

needs a kick up the backside and be pushed down the order....

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What he needs is for someone to sit him down and tell him to calm down and use his brain when he's batting.

Now the question is who?

Afridi, who himself has been a brain **** player for 15 years. Waqar Younis, who knows very little about the art of batting or Kamran Akmal, who is probably the worst influence of the lot?

The reason I say this is because the lad actually has the talent to succeed unlike the majority of loser batsman that surround him, batsman that have never heard of strike rotation or playing cricket according to the demands of the situation.

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Venue
    MCG - Mera Chota Ghar, SE England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey what happened to make him number 3 and captain?

Frank Skinner: Pakistan looked better than this when they were trying to lose.

Debut
    Jun 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut
    What he needs is for someone to sit him down and tell him to calm down and use his brain when he's batting.

Now the question is who?

Afridi, who himself has been a brain **** player for 15 years. Waqar Younis, who knows very little about the art of batting or Kamran Akmal, who is probably the worst influence of the lot?

The reason I say this is because the lad actually has the talent to succeed unlike the majority of loser batsman that surround him, batsman that have never heard of strike rotation or playing cricket according to the demands of the situation.
    thays why I think we need Younis in the team he is the only proper role model foir the younger lot.

Debut
    May 2007
    Venue
    NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UsmanhailsAfridi

He's done pretty well.....

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    at home
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why someone not telling him tht after setting on the wicket & then loosing his wicket is unacceptable....

Debut
    May 2007
    Venue
    NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by don1990
    why someone not telling him tht after setting on the wicket & then loosing his wicket is unacceptable....
    Because there isn't anyone in this team with enough credibility to tell him that. All of our "senior" players are guilty of the same thing.

Debut
    Mar 2008
    Venue
    Sidanay
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah I reckon drop him he's useless

He is fundamentally aware of his aura within the team. His exhilaration infects them.

Debut
    May 2007
    Venue
    NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poison
    Nah I reckon drop him he's useless
    True. Faisal Iqbal should be packing his bags for the Caribbean....

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hes a great player but not consistent enough but who is?
    we cant just drop him because of one innings.
    a couple of failures then something should happen.

Debut
    Mar 2008
    Venue
    Sidanay
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inswinger
    Mate any batsman in, Bhanja's got more talent in his fingernail than Umar Akmal does. Drop everyone

He is fundamentally aware of his aura within the team. His exhilaration infects them.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now the question is who?

That's the problem when you have banned the only real batsmen and have sloggers like Afridi as captain. This is nothing new, same thing was clear about the batting in the Aus/NZ series, all the guys were just throwing away their wickets.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont worry about Umar.

I think he should be sent to No 5 or No 6 as hard hitter (the position of Misbah). Fawad should come at his spot, then Misbah and then Umar.

I feel at moment Umar is confused either he has to go for the shots or for a long inning.

Debut
    May 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stop using t20s as a means to judge a batsman's temprament
    Don't blame him for taking a risk and losing his wicket chasing 190.

Yes, if he keeps on doing this regularly in ODIs and Tests (henceforth, please don't remind me of any past incidents) then we have something to worry about

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A poorman's Ashraful...nothing more and never will be...Pakistan's next great batsman my a$$...

Debut
    Mar 2008
    Venue
    Sidanay
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheguvera
    A poorman's Ashraful...nothing more and never will be...Pakistan's next great batsman my a$$...
    A poorman's Ashraful is a very very poor man. Umar Akmal is the next rock.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by *sallu*
    Stop using t20s as a means to judge a batsman's temprament
    Don't blame him for taking a risk and losing his wicket chasing 190.

Yes, if he keeps on doing this regularly in ODIs and Tests (henceforth, please don't remind me of any past incidents) then we have something to worry about
    yep, totally agreed...was a good shot, just didn't quite catch it on the bat.

Proud Shehri of Misbah Ka Pakistan

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    drop him...needs to be taught a lesson...looks like akmal junior will now live off his first few innings for about 10 years during which time he will build up a loyal following of pea brains and will probably be named pak captain during this period..then the epa brain brigade will realise how useless he is and demand he be sacked..he'll probably get banned and marry an indian! ..then the pea brain brigade will demand he return and the cycle continues!

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed Zulfiqar
    yep, totally agreed...was a good shot, just didn't quite catch it on the bat.
    Sorry AZ but only a blind man would call that a good shot.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He seem to be giving away his wicket cheaply, he doesn't utalize his talent, he needs to realize the importance of his wicket, value his wicket.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Umar akmal would be the next tendulkar. Promising talent if only he can stay for sometime in the middle.
    Still have faith .

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    drop him!! before its too late!

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Sorry AZ but only a blind man would call that a good shot.
    if it had gone on for a boundary, would have been a great stroke...he got caught, so turned out to be bad shot selection...a fine line.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    MNCR
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now the question is who?

What he really needs is the beast to wrap a bat around his head for throwing his wicket away time and time again in big matches!

Debut
    Sep 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheguvera
    agreed.

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if it had gone on for a boundary, would have been a great stroke...he got caught, so turned out to be bad shot selection...a fine line.
    Again, I'm beginning to think your not only blind but mentally ******** aswell.

The shot was just poor. It's as simple as that. There was no way it was going to the boundary. And according to your logic any poor stroke is a good one if only it had gone to the boundary. How stupid is that?

Here's a thought: Salman Butt's shot of Tait was actually brilliant, shame it was mistimed, it was poor shot selection and went high up in the air. Other than that it was beauty. Fine line indeed.

Mohammad Hafeez bowled brilliantly except for all the runs he gave away. Chris Harris has lots of hair on his head except for the fact he's bald. You see where I'm going with this?
    Last edited by Juggernaut; 3rd May 2010 at 05:14.

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Yippiiiiie let's drop Umar Akmal in the middle of a tournament, it'll help us a lot in defending the title. Hurraheyy"

Debut
    Sep 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The shot was just poor. It's as simple as that. There was no way it was going to the boundary. And according to your logic any poor stroke is a good one if only it had gone to the boundary. How stupid is that?

Here's a thought: Salman Butt's shot of Tait was actually brilliant, shame it was mistimed, it was poor shot selection and went high up in the air. Other than that it was beauty. Fine line indeed.

Mohammad Hafeez bowled brilliantly except for all the runs he gave away. Chris Harris has lots of hair on his head except for the fact he's bald. You see where I'm going with this?
    well said

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    umar akmal is just another name on a very long list of Pakistani batsmen who had a lot of talent, but not a lot of cricketing i.q.......that being said, i would say his failures are just as much the coaching staffs fault as they are his.......the batting coach should be working on these flaws he has, their is no way you can drop his thou

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Afridi played the exact same shot , only timed it better and it went all the way...we had to go hard at one of their bowlers and Smith, being the most inexperienced of the lot as well as being a spinner, was the best bet...you see where I'm going with this? I'm pretty sure you don't, but I have to try.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inswinger

it was a joke, right?

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Afridi played the exact same shot , only timed it better and it went all the way...we had to go hard at one of their bowlers and Smith, being the most inexperienced of the lot as well as being a spinner, was the best bet...you see where I'm going with this? I'm pretty sure you don't, but I have to try.
    'Afridi played the exact same shot , only timed it better and it went all the way'

Do you see the irony of your own comments? Afridi hit it all the way because as you rightly pointed out he timed the ball better i.e. it was a better shot, a good shot.

I hate it when someone says something extremely stupid and then makes it out to be as if what they're saying is on another intellectual level thus making it beyond the reach of everyone else's understanding.

Please don't do that AZ. You've already made a couple of stupid comments and now is not the time to take the holier than thou, I understand things better than you, the truth is out there attitude.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    'Afridi played the exact same shot , only timed it better and it went all the way'

Do you see the irony of your own comments? Afridi hit it all the way because as you rightly pointed out he timed the ball better i.e. it was a better shot, a good shot.

I hate it when someone says something extremely stupid and then makes it out to be as if what they're saying is on another intellectual level thus making it beyond the reach of everyone else's understanding.

Please don't do that AZ. You've already made a couple of stupid comments and now is not the time to take the holier than thou, I understand things better than you, the truth is out there attitude.
    I'm not trying to suggest I'm at a higher intellectual level than you, you're doing a fine job of proving that you are on a lower level on your own...if we had been batting first and Umar went after the bowler out of the blue, then we would rightly call it brainless batting...but seeing the opportunity/situation at hand, I don't blame him.

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not trying to suggest I'm at a higher intellectual level than you, you're doing a fine job of proving that you are on a lower level on your own...if we had been batting first and Umar went after the bowler out of the blue, then we would rightly call it brainless batting...but seeing the opportunity/situation at hand, I don't blame him.
    I don't understand the point of a comment like that.

You couldn't argue your point with me and you come out with poorly formed insults like the one above.

So you're stubborn and won't except when you're wrong. Thats all I needed to know.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I am more than happy to accept when I'm wrong, and have done so in the past, it's not a major issue for me.

as for the 'need to understand the point of the comment', I'm sure you don't.

Debut
    Feb 2007
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think it would be very interesting to see him open with kamran akmal...

maybe that would be the rabbit out of the hat idea pakistan need right now

if you are not attacking you are defending. And if you are defending you are losing.

Debut
    Sep 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Calm down AZ bhai and Juggernaut bhai. Ghussa thook do...We are all pakistanis and our goal is simple, we want Pakistan to win. so whats all this fuss about if umar's shot was a good one or bad one?

InshaAllah he'll play better in the next game.

Fawad Alam's NO.1 FAN!!

Mohommad Hafeez is CLASS!

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still think Umar Akmal is not serious to play for Pakistan. He is just not serious.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys have no faith. Hes a kid with oozes of class and talent. For all his wrongs, he looked far more convincing than Hafeez who needs to be dropped permanently and immediately from this team.

Not exactly easy to walk in needing around 9/10 an over against this Aussie attack. The odd stupid shot is unfortunately hard to avoid in such situations. And there were plenty of those today by others too.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Umer has technique but no brain.
    He will remain same in all his life.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Milwaukee
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you guys are basically arguing over what makes a "good" shot good. one of you (AZ) is saying a shot is perceived good based on the result, and one (Jug) is saying it's the execution. I would say that strokes by themselves are neither good nor bad, it's all about execution. Both Afridi and Umar played the same kind of stroke, Afridi just timed it a bit better and he got the result. That doesn't mean Afridi played the better stroke, it just means he executed it better. I agree with AZ that if Umar had executed the stroke better, it would have been a good shot, but he didn't which is why his stroke was a bad shot.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    We need the perfect fusion of Alam and Akmal to get our next world class batsman.

Alam's intelligence with Akmal's skill would become the perfect prospect. Although I feel these two with the right direction will go a long way in cementing their spots in the middle order.

Umar Akmal requires some guidance with his batting. Its understandable to tell him to play his game - however some sort of direction needs to be given to his batting. Its unfair to judge him based on today's game because this is probably not the format to judge your batsman especially young ones.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingusama92
    Umar Akmal requires some guidance with his batting. Its understandable to tell him to play his game - however some sort of direction needs to be given to his batting.
    This.

He played a poor shot today. Saying to him 'Unlucky mate, maybe next time' is detrimental to his development.

All this talk of all technique, no brain is **. He is 19 years old. He plays a stupid shot once or twice you let it slide but when its starts to become part of his repertoire you need to sit down and have a little chat with the lad. Nobody is saying give him the hair dryer treatment. Just tell him where he went wrong and to learn from his mistakes.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umar Akmal should be batting at #3 in this tournament. If he clicks, he will win a game single handedly, and has done so before unlike lambs like Hafeez in his whole 7 year stop-start career.
    Last edited by the SHA; 3rd May 2010 at 07:45.

Debut
    May 2007
    Venue
    NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This.

He played a poor shot today. Saying to him 'Unlucky mate, maybe next time' is detrimental to his development.

All this talk of all technique, no brain is **. He is 19 years old. He plays a stupid shot once or twice you let it slide but when its starts to become part of his repertoire you need to sit down and have a little chat with the lad. Nobody is saying give him the hair dryer treatment. Just tell him where he went wrong and to learn from his mistakes.
    Who is the person that needs to have this chat with him? Now that's the million dollar question.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Igloo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need the perfect fusion of Alam and Akmal to get our next world class batsman.

Alam's intelligence with Akmal's skill would become the perfect prospect. Although I feel these two with the right direction will go a long way in cementing their spots in the middle order.

Umar Akmal requires some guidance with his batting. Its understandable to tell him to play his game - however some sort of direction needs to be given to his batting. Its unfair to judge him based on today's game because this is probably not the format to judge your batsman especially young ones.
    Well considering that T20 in itself has fortified its position as the next best thing in cricket, performing in this format is a valid measure of your abilities as a batsman.

Agreed that you cannot judge someone's Test playing ability by watching their performances in T20, but the way they perform in T20 will definitely echo their ability in that format.

And as far as I can see, Umar doesn't like to think with his brain. The shot he played today was so needless and so out of the blue I don't think even the commentators expected it.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tahaqureshi
    Well considering that T20 in itself has fortified its position as the next best thing in cricket, performing in this format is a valid measure of your abilities as a batsman.

Agreed that you cannot judge someone's Test playing ability by watching their performances in T20, but the way they perform in T20 will definitely echo their ability in that format.

And as far as I can see, Umar doesn't like to think with his brain. The shot he played today was so needless and so out of the blue I don't think even the commentators expected it.
    It most certainly can be looked at as a guiding point but it should not be deciding players' careers. I would be saddened if Akmal was dropped from the team one day because he wasn't performing in T20 cricket.

He is a budding talent and we will have to let him develop. The coaches should be pushing and prodding him in the right direction otherwise all of the time we will end up spending on Akmal's career will be completely futile.

You could tell that he is oozing with ability when he is out there. Just the way he plays his shots. The problem is that he doesn't stop. There is no stop button - perhaps its not an extreme situation like Afridi but its still a concern. Someone needs to tell him to pick his spots.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Igloo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It most certainly can be looked at as a guiding point but it should not be deciding players' careers. I would be saddened if Akmal was dropped from the team one day because he wasn't performing in T20 cricket.

He is a budding talent and we will have to let him develop. The coaches should be pushing and prodding him in the right direction otherwise all of the time we will end up spending on Akmal's career will be completely futile.

You could tell that he is oozing with ability when he is out there. Just the way he plays his shots. The problem is that he doesn't stop. There is no stop button - perhaps its not an extreme situation like Afridi but its still a concern. Someone needs to tell him to pick his spots.

Our approach should be like that of the Aussies. They don't have a blanket selection that attempts to serve them in all three formats.

They have T20 specialists and then they have the more solid players in their Test team.

If Umar does get dropped from the T20 team one day, I wouldn't be too surprised and it would probably be after many failures at the level.

However like you said, what he does in ODIs and Tests is completely different. He may very well succeed there.

Debut
    May 2007
    Venue
    NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd let him come at #3 and let him go at his own pace. Even today, he looked settled at the start and was looking for single. But as soon as the RRR shot up to around 11 he decided it was do or die. It was a bit too early to play such a shot and we would have been alright going at 8 RPO. Having a lame Misbah at the other end also didn't help matters.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stats AFTER Umar Akmal's first 5 matches:

ODI's

TESTS

T20s

his stats are better than any other Pakistani batsman if you combine the results of tests, odis and t20's compared to any other pakistani batsman since his first 5 matches.

So sir, you don't know jack.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koenigsegg
    I still think Umar Akmal is not serious to play for Pakistan. He is just not serious.
    do you know of any other current Pakistani batsman who has better stats since August 2009?

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    New Jersey, NJ
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chukandar_gosht
    stats AFTER Umar Akmal's first 5 matches:

ODI's

TESTS

T20s

his stats are better than any other Pakistani batsman if you combine the results of tests, odis and t20's compared to any other pakistani batsman since his first 5 matches.

So sir, you don't know jack.
    ok sherlock and what point have you proved? how many of the above innings have u watched? he has thrown his wicket each n every time n its annoying and not in the spirit of the "team"

so i dont know jack but i do know that this akmal fellow needs to be slapped across his face so maybe he gets some sense into his head bc right now he is riding a high horse called "pakistani ego"

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chukandar_gosht
    do you know of any other current Pakistani batsman who has better stats since August 2009?
    I don't think many people have problems with his stats. In fact I feel they are quite good considering the way he bats without any brain cell being used.

The fact PP members are so concerned about his batting is because he fails to go on when he's in. He is decent at getting starts and then he fails to turn those 50s into 100s.

I think we all have to remember he is only 19. I am sure he will learn as time progresses however if he wants to become a legend then he will have to learn right now.

Its up to him. Does he want to be a good batsman or a great batsman?

Debut
    Sep 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok sherlock and what point have you proved? how many of the above innings have u watched? he has thrown his wicket each n every time n its annoying and not in the spirit of the "team"

so i dont know jack but i do know that this akmal fellow needs to be slapped across his face so maybe he gets some sense into his head bc right now he is riding a high horse called "pakistani ego"
    exactly my point. He had a chance to be hero but he wanted to be zero

Debut
    Jun 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    major over reaction here.The main problem with Umer is he does not know how to pace an innings in any format thats why I think he needs good senior batsman around him (yousuf,younis).

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Milwaukee
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yosuf tried to influence him during that oz tour, remember how many glares Yosuf gave him when they were both on the crease? Too bad he's become a Mullah

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    Brisbane, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    838 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    He is not mentally strong is all I want to add here. It is a worry because in all games we have seen him play, we have seen his talent, we have seen his strokeplay. But the biggest problem is that he is not able to finish the job. All game in which he has scored well, how many games have we won? Put some pressure on him and he is bound to fail. Its something that you hope will improve with experience.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW, typical of Pakistani fans to kill its players.....Very Disappointed with this post... Actually expected with the way Pakistani Fans are towards there players.... NO support what so ever....
    You all need to relax and just start supporting the team..... Enjoy the cricket...

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Can't expect a 19-20 year old guy to be the leading batsman of your team. Give him some time, he will learn on his own.

He is a very exciting talent, should be batting at no 5-6 (in all the formats) for the first 2-3 years of his career. Don't thrust too much responsibility on him at such an early age.

In any case, how many young batsmen, who have had great starts to their careers , been able to repeat the same sort of success in their 2nd season of int'l cricket. I can't think of any name right now.
    Last edited by cricketindiafan; 3rd May 2010 at 11:23.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Igloo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketindiafan
    Can't expect a 19-20 year old guy to be the leading batsman of your team. Give him some time, he will learn on his own.

He is a very exciting talent, should be batting at no 5-6 (in all the formats) for the first 2-3 years of his career. Don't thrust too much responsibility on him at such an early age.

In any case, how any young batsman, who have had great starts to their careers , bee able to repeat the same sort of success in the 2nd season of int'l cricket. I can't think of any name right now.
    Watch videos of Inzi in the 92 WC. That is an example of a young talent coupled with brains.

Debut
    Sep 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watch videos of Inzi in the 92 WC. That is an example of a young talent coupled with brains.
    Exactly

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    St James' Park
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the problem with Umar Akmal is that he has been thrust into all 3 formats and there is this huge expectation to deliver every single time - lets not forget he is only 19/20 years old and has only been playing International cricket for less than a year

The horse has bolted now BUT the sensible thing would have been to introduce him to one format at first and then as he established himself he should have played the other formats

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    St James' Park
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed BUT Inzi had a class captain - had practically no expectations since there was no PP in those days ( ) and was playing in a better side

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Good that you bring 92 WC.

Just check the scoreards on which batting position Inzi was batting when he succeeded the most. It was at no 5-6.

IIRC, in the initial part of the tournament, he was batting at no 3 and did absolutely nothing for first 5-6 games. Then Imran sent him down the order and rest as they say is history.

Same way Umar needs to be given time to develop as a batsman. Sending him up the order isn't the solution. The seniors in the side Afridi and Razzaq should be batting ahead of him.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Igloo
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketindiafan
    Good that you bring 92 WC.

Just check the scoreards on which batting position Inzi was batting when he succeeded the most. It was at no 5-6.

IIRC, in the initial part of the tournament, he was batting at no 3 and did absolutely nothing for first 5-6 games. Then Imran sent him down the order and rest as they say is history.

Same way Umar needs to be given time to develop as a batsman. Sending him up the order isn't the solution. The seniors in the side Afridi and Razzaq should be batting ahead of him.
    The problem is that when you send a newbie down the order, he gets nothing done i.e. Fawad Alam. Alam, considering he doesn't bowl, hardly contributes to the overall team effort considering he comes in so late.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is with Umar Akmals head... When hes playing you can tell that hes not sure if he should go for boundaries or single/double

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    umer akmal is so overrated...

Debut
    Mar 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel people are being little harsh on Umer. He is a good talent and doing fine.

My verdict says, he is doing the same mistake that almost every pakistani batsman are doing recently. Always in a hurry and doesn't try to build an innings.

A batting order will mostly fail if there is no innings builder and I feel Pakistan currently have either no one (or they come too late, e.g. Fawad). All stroke makers will make the batting line up too fragile.

If you look at good batting line ups they have atleast 2 such batsman who can hold one end and Pakistan top 5 don't have one (not very confident on Butt for that too).

So this team's batting will be mercurial.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    where does umar akmal belong?

in his living room, watching pakistan team playing on his tv.

Debut
    May 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in friends marriage, he's really a good dancer but unfortunately he's playing with GM bat xD

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To be honest the match situation was such that he didn't have much choice and the faster men were harder to put away so it makes sense he tried to go after the spinners. As far I'm concerned it was bad shot selection but he has often thrown his wicket away so he does need to start playing according to match situation.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what is wrong with all you people n pakistani nation in general... Umar Akmal has easily been the most consistent batsmen in the last few months for Pakistan, and he has a good head on his shoulders, which is highly evident from the fact the couple of innings he played in the Australia in the last couple of ODIS where Pak had lost early wickets.

He played steadily and responsibiliy in those innings, and only because of him we reached a respectable target, especially his innings of 67 which took him 110 balls to score which shows he has both the temprament and the skill to make it big.

Another innings of his which in which he should good responisbility was his 76 in the 2nd innings of 1st test between NZ and Pak

He was the only batsmen who got consistent starts in Australia, yah he did throw his wicket a couple of times but that will improve with time, the lad is only 20, give him time.

Seriously a couple of failures, does not mean he is crap... give him time and than wait n see, he is the next inzamam or miandad for Pakistan cricket Inshallah

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koenigsegg
    Ian Chappell call either him, his batting style or his mind set, STUPID !!!
    and I don't find myself disagreeing with him.

I guess we need to bring Fawad Alam up in the order and either push Umer Akmal down the order or give him some rest and let him think about if he is really serious enough to play for Pakistan?
    Absolutely.

The fan boys who like brawn over brain still have not worked it out that Fawad has a better International T20 strike rate than Umar Akmal for a reason.

APPLICATION, TEMPERAMENT, DISCIPLINE.

Fawad >>> Umar Akmal

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1644 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Its to do with shot selection and placement.

The Aussies had a specific plan, they had a target hitting area for each bowler. Instead our batsman and that includes Umar Akmal just tried some ridiculous shots to deliveries that could not be hit out of the ground.

Akmal just needs to be guided regarding his shot selection. He's a class act and still very young.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by genghis81
    He is not mentally strong is all I want to add here. It is a worry because in all games we have seen him play, we have seen his talent, we have seen his strokeplay. But the biggest problem is that he is not able to finish the job. All game in which he has scored well, how many games have we won? Put some pressure on him and he is bound to fail. Its something that you hope will improve with experience.
    how can you say he's not mentally strong after his stellar displays in the Test arena?! and the ODI series in Australia?!

he needs some talking to about how he should be managing his innings in T20, that's about it really...nothing too alarming.

Debut
    May 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^
    Agreed
    at the time when Umar lost his wicket we needed about 11 per over.
    Thats more than a boundary per over.

Yes, the question exists whether or not the shot was on, but really you can not score 191 without playing high risks shots, especially on such a huge ground.

These things happen in t20s, as I mentioned earlier, judge him by his test performances and One Day performances which have been reasonable to date.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The shot he played was really poor? It was like giving the fielder some catching practise? He didn't go with full throttle at the shot and was double minded and hence played half shot in the air.

Anyways, one bad shot or innings doesn't/shudn't make him a bad player. He has alot of promise and if he applies some thought to his batting, he can become really good player!

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umer's batting order should be swaped with Fawad in my view. Fawad can build an innings while Umer doesn't look like to do so in T20.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He certainly needs a kick up the backside, he gets out playing soft shots, teams dont get him out he does

I think picking him in all formats is wrong, his t20 career aint outstanding neither is his strike rate and it wont help him learn how to play the right way

If pakistan cricket is to move forward they need to stop going back