Share This Forum!  

Old 10th December 2008, 12:06
PP Exclusives and Interviews Team

Debut: Jun 2001
Venue: UK
Runs: 59,080
My visit to the NCA in Lahore

10th December 2008

The NCA is headed by AAMIR SOHAIL - who is the Director, Game Development - He basically is the overall head of the NCA and what ever happens in that facility.

There after comes ALI ZIA - Senior GM, HAROON RASHID - Head of Youth Development

SHAHID ASLAM is the MANAGER, COACH EDUCATION and he runs the coaching courses for Pakistan, to which, male and female are welcome to join.

Also the NCA hosts the Medical Board.

DR SALEEM SOHAIL - Head
DR RIAZ AHMED - Resident Physician

The coaches attached to the NCA are MANSOOR RANA - Batting.

AAQIB and IJAZ are now with the National Team, but MOHTASHIM RASHID has come back to the NCA as the fielding coach - He of 'I Miss you Moti' from Younis Khan in Abu Dhabi. Also brother of Haroon and Umar Rashid.

Thereafter, the Academy runs in that there are 13 Regional Academies in the country of which 2 are in Lahore and Karachi, respectively.

The rest are Abbottabad, Hyderabad, Quetta, Sialkot, Multan, Faisalabad, Peshawar, Pindi, Islamabad.

These regions are basically, the centres of excellence, where a head coach is stationed. Additionally, the head coach, has an assistant coach, a fielding coach, a physical trainer, physio and an analyst as part of the team.

The coaches are: Wasim Haider (Faisalabad), Manzoor Elahi (Multan), Naveed Anjum (Lahore), Jalaluddin/Azam Khan (Karachi), Taimur Azam (Islamabad), Shahid Anwar (Sialkot), Sabih Azhar (Pindi), Akhtar Srafraz (Pesh), Shaukat Mirza (Abbottabad), Abdur Rehman (Quetta), Sadiq Mohammad (Hyderabad).

They are responsible for the senior and juniors development.

As far as I see it, and I cannot go into the complete facts and figures just yet, the NCA will re visit and redevelop all the plans and programmes in becoming the focal and finishing point for the best talent in the country.

You will be pleased to know that the NCA is presently being extended and will have a state of the art biomechanics lab.

The NCA has a huge budget and 152 staff attached to it from the gardener's upwards.

Ultimately, I know Aamir wants the NCA to be self funded in as fast a time as possible. This, for the readers, means that they will have a chance to utilise the NCA for a short time period, as paying guests and being able to improve their cricketing skills at arguably the best place there is in Pakistan, with some of the best coaching and facilities comparable anywhere else.

Whilst I was there, every day, cricketers came to practice and maintain their work in the gym.

They were SHOAIB AKHTAR, MOHAMMAD ASIF, JUNAID ZIA, MOHAMMAD KHALIL, KAMRAN/ADNAN AKMAL, WAHAB RIAZ, MANSOOR AMJAD. MOHAMMAD HAFEEZ came a couple of time, prior to the NWFP/PUNJAB game.

I also met young AHMED SHAHZAD, the U19 star and watched him briefly in the nets for a few moments. He is a very confident character and came across, very cocksure. I sat and listened to him briefly and he reminded of Aamir Sohail and his attitude as a cricketer. Having passed on a few wise words, I left him to ponder with the other person who was with us and later the other person, said I had hit the nail on the head with my comparison.

He is a young man starting in the game and it would be better to channel the aggression into scoring runs, as he has the goal of playing International Cricket inside 1 year. My opinion, is what I saw and heard, he has a lot of work to do.