Go Back   PakPassion - Pakistan Cricket Forum > Off Topic > Time Pass

Share This Forum!  

Old 3rd September 2012, 20:10
Test Match Debutant

Debut: Aug 2010
Venue: Sheffield
Runs: 13,882
Ross Kemp Extreme World - Karachi

Ross Kemp is in Karachi right now on Sky One...

Quote:
New & Exclusive. The unflinching documentary returns for a second series. Ross Kemp and his team are caught in cross-fire as they report on the battle for Karachi in Pakistan. (S2, ep 1)

Kami then proceeds to miss two stumpings...
Old 3rd September 2012, 20:16
Test Match Debutant

He's gone to Lyari and went on a walkabout with Uzair Baloch.

Old 3rd September 2012, 20:26
Test Match Debutant

He and the camera crew have come under sniper fire.

Old 4th September 2012, 03:46
T20I Debutant

Debut: Jan 2011
Venue: Karachi for life!
Runs: 6,808
It is really annoying when these western documentaries focus on Lyari and then say it is a guide to Karachi

If a good reporter wanted to he could make Karachi look like one of the best cities in the region if he only visited areas like KDA, Karsaz, Clifton and Defence
Old 4th September 2012, 03:55
T20I Star

Debut: Jun 2009
Venue: London
Runs: 20,463
Lol Lyari should start charging these people for providing them with work
Old 4th September 2012, 13:16
T20I Debutant

Debut: Jul 2010
Venue: England/ Mirpur AJK
Runs: 7,795
Lol can mods merge my thread with this one
Thanks

Malcolm X
Old 4th September 2012, 14:04
ODI Star

Debut: Jan 2010
Runs: 24,068
Interesting docu by Ross. Police can't even enter a run down area to arrest one man. lol The show should have focused more on the terrorist scumbags of the MQM. I have to say the old man from Lyari spoke some hard truths.
Old 4th September 2012, 16:06
Test Match Debutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PakPrince
It is really annoying when these western documentaries focus on Lyari and then say it is a guide to Karachi

If a good reporter wanted to he could make Karachi look like one of the best cities in the region if he only visited areas like KDA, Karsaz, Clifton and Defence
I'm not sure if you understand who Ross Kemp is. His documentaries are not a tourist guide to various cities but are focused on crime, law and order, gangs and policing. He has done documentaries in Jamaica, Moscow, Mexico City and many cities here in the UK. He doesn't condemn the city but focuses on the criminal elements of the city - hence the 'Extreme World' title.

Old 4th September 2012, 20:20
T20I Debutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKhanWC
Interesting docu by Ross. Police can't even enter a run down area to arrest one man. lol The show should have focused more on the terrorist scumbags of the MQM. I have to say the old man from Lyari spoke some hard truths.
Lyari is all Aman committee.

And in recent times the PPP backed Aman Committie has been extorting money from the rest of businesses in Karachi too. Many ppl I know have been treatened by them this summer.

Uzair Baloch and his cronies have left MQM way behind in this regard tbh. Locally its called bhatta

Uzair Baloch is a good charmer but grade 1 terrorist

If i had my way i would put members of Aman committee, ANP and MQM in a line and jail them all tbh! Shooting them would mean im following their ideology
Old 4th September 2012, 23:20
First Class Captain

Debut: Oct 2010
Runs: 6,046
karachi is too confusing for an outsider like me to get his head around, ive seen and read so much and it just seems like a vicious never ending cycle of mindless violance and retribution.
Old 4th September 2012, 23:39
ODI Debutant

Debut: May 2010
Venue: UK
Runs: 9,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElRaja
karachi is too confusing for an outsider like me to get his head around, ive seen and read so much and it just seems like a vicious never ending cycle of mindless violance and retribution.
I saw the last 15mins of the documentary and it was odd. I haven't ever been to Lyari, the Karachi I saw was pretty swish. I guess this must be the seedy underbelly of the city, Pakistan's equivalent of run down council estates in Britain. Pretty grim stuff but strangely soulless. It all looked staged and lacked genuine feel for the place I thought. Maybe the first 15 mins I missed had all that.
Old 4th September 2012, 23:45
ODI Star

Debut: Jan 2010
Runs: 24,068
Quote:
Lyari is all Aman committee.

And in recent times the PPP backed Aman Committie has been extorting money from the rest of businesses in Karachi too. Many ppl I know have been treatened by them this summer.

Uzair Baloch and his cronies have left MQM way behind in this regard tbh. Locally its called bhatta

Uzair Baloch is a good charmer but grade 1 terrorist

If i had my way i would put members of Aman committee, ANP and MQM in a line and jail them all tbh! Shooting them would mean im following their ideology
Thanks for the info. According to the show MQM are trying to take over Lyari, in your view is this correct and what are their chances?
Old 5th September 2012, 00:00
First Class Captain

Debut: Oct 2010
Runs: 6,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat
I saw the last 15mins of the documentary and it was odd. I haven't ever been to Lyari, the Karachi I saw was pretty swish. I guess this must be the seedy underbelly of the city, Pakistan's equivalent of run down council estates in Britain. Pretty grim stuff but strangely soulless. It all looked staged and lacked genuine feel for the place I thought. Maybe the first 15 mins I missed had all that.
yeah that could be an accurate observation, but when you consider how professionaly the criminality takes place the comparision breaks down imo.

i cant think of a run down council estate where private militias control entire neighbourhoods. even the favellas of rio are less weaponised than these areas from what ive seen.
Old 5th September 2012, 20:08
T20I Debutant

Quote:
Thanks for the info. According to the show MQM are trying to take over Lyari, in your view is this correct and what are their chances?
taking over in what sense?

they will never have any political support there in a million years..
No chance at all. Ive not heard of any MQM thuggery in that area tbh. But its an absolute nightmare for the business communityhere these days because of the extortion tactics of both parties

Currently support in Lyari is divided between Uzair Baloch and PPP. Though Uzair Baloch joins and then leaves PPP atleast twice every 6 months lol!

I think PPP's is coming to an end unless Uzair Baloch somehow ends up being part of the party again.

PTI unfortunately has no present whatsoever in the area and the city in general. Lyari especially is crying for a third option. I am extremely disappointed tbh
Old 5th September 2012, 20:10
T20I Debutant

anyways any link for the whole video.. will have a look at it if i get the time but im pretty sure its the same biased Western crap

the sky link wont work for me
Old 5th September 2012, 20:20
Junior Player

Debut: Jan 2009
Runs: 254
PakPrince,it has been pointed out above that the documentary isn't about biasness.

Ross Kemp, all he does is go to gang-ridden cities in the world and documents violence. He's done London, US,SA,Brazil etc
Old 5th September 2012, 20:33
First Class Captain

Debut: Feb 2010
Venue: Tbilisi, Georgia
Runs: 6,001
Uzair Baloch was portrayed as a kind of Pablo Escobar type figure...a gangster but also a man of the people...there was a lot of personality cult surrounding him and he had a lot of support...he certainly seems to have a lot of support within Lyari based on the documentary...Baloch gave an interview to those Vice guys too...
Old 5th September 2012, 20:33
T20I Debutant

ah ok

gotta wait till someone puts it on youtube..

skyvideo not working here
Old 5th September 2012, 20:35
T20I Debutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaykh1985
Uzair Baloch was portrayed as a kind of Pablo Escobar type figure...a gangster but also a man of the people...there was a lot of personality cult surrounding him and he had a lot of support...he certainly seems to have a lot of support within Lyari based on the documentary...Baloch gave an interview to those Vice guys too...
it seems to be more of fear than support tbh!

there are like 11-12 units in Lyari

and as you go out of his unit the support decreases
Old 5th September 2012, 20:36
First Class Captain

Quote:
anyways any link for the whole video.. will have a look at it if i get the time but im pretty sure its the same biased Western crap

the sky link wont work for me
He makes a point at the end of each of his episodes about how lovely the people he has met are and how the things he is portraying are not representative of the majority...

His job is to show crime in these parts not to show that these parts are criminal...give them a watch before you pass judgement...

What I will say is from an analytical perspective his show can be weak but then it isn't there to explain the ins and outs of why everything is happening...rather he shows what is happening...
Old 5th September 2012, 20:38
First Class Captain

Quote:
it seems to be more of fear than support tbh!

there are like 11-12 units in Lyari

and as you go out of his unit the support decreases
Yeah very well could be the case...hence why I said based on the documentary...sometimes fear and support can be quite intertwined and hard to distinguish between however...hard to tell with any kingpin I suppose...
Old 5th September 2012, 20:51
T20I Debutant

Debut: May 2008
Runs: 6,649
ross kemp is another agent masquearading for the zionists, you only have to watch his dismal report of the palestine conflict
''....the sea would be exhausted before the words of my Lord were exhausted... ''(18:109)
Old 5th September 2012, 21:04
First Class Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacha kashmiri
ross kemp is another agent masquearading for the zionists, you only have to watch his dismal report of the palestine conflict
I didn't see that one...how did he present it?...his Ciudad Juarez one was a disappointment...it was quite simplistic in that he mentioned corruption but then failed to build on it...eg he left out the links between the cartels and the US providing their weaponry...but then his show has never really been about how things happen but rather just showing the mayhem...his documentaries are limited but aren't necessarily biased from what I have seen...
Old 5th September 2012, 21:21
T20I Debutant

Debut: May 2008
Runs: 6,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaykh1985
I didn't see that one...how did he present it?...his Ciudad Juarez one was a disappointment...it was quite simplistic in that he mentioned corruption but then failed to build on it...eg he left out the links between the cartels and the US providing their weaponry...but then his show has never really been about how things happen but rather just showing the mayhem...his documentaries are limited but aren't necessarily biased from what I have seen...
it's better than danny dyer but only just

He basically showed it as palestinian aggression and israel securing it's citizens and the usual zionism crescendo bias
''....the sea would be exhausted before the words of my Lord were exhausted... ''(18:109)
Old 5th September 2012, 22:28
Local Club Regular

Debut: Dec 2009
Runs: 639
Quote:
ah ok

gotta wait till someone puts it on youtube..

skyvideo not working here

here you go

http://flashx.tv/video/YBYMADU7OU5W/...1hdtvx264-c4tv
Old 5th September 2012, 23:45
First Class Player

Debut: Sep 2010
Runs: 2,952
Old 6th September 2012, 00:58
First Class Captain

Debut: Nov 2011
Venue: Tukmenistan & Sidnaaaay
Runs: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacha kashmiri
it's better than danny dyer but only just

He basically showed it as palestinian aggression and israel securing it's citizens and the usual zionism crescendo bias
Are there any non-UK links for his palestine coverage?
Old 6th September 2012, 14:50
Local Club Regular

Runs: 930
Good watch.

Have always been interested in why Politics is so important in Karachi. After watching this I think it's because Politics are linked with ethnicity? Or is that too simplistic?

Intrigued by this Uzair Baloch guy. How did he become so powerful within Lyari? What's his story?
Old 6th September 2012, 15:01
First Class Player

Debut: Nov 2011
Venue: My Room
Runs: 2,596
thanx for the vdo,we rarely get to watch the real pakistani localities
Old 6th September 2012, 16:38
Test Match Debutant

If you want greater analysis of a crime-ridden, lawless city then you're better off watching Louis Theroux who has done documentaries in Israel, Lagos, Philadelphia, Johannesburg and Fresno. Ross Kemp does a lot content that really stand out for its shock value, in one show in Afghanistan you could see a wounded combatant's guts on his torso. He does not go beneath the surface but he certainly has courage for going to a place where even some Pakistani journalists be reluctant to go to.

Last edited by Markhor; 6th September 2012 at 16:41.
Old 6th September 2012, 17:30
Test Match Debutant

Wow, I have to say I sympathise with the police who have an impossible task. Kemp hit the nail on the head - 1 policeman for every 2000 people - how on earth can you possible keep law and order ?

However the two 'guards' who were hired for the kidnapping at the start may well have been tortured or beaten if it wasn't for the cameras. Still the weakness of the judiciary in failing to convict the criminals due to corruption and bureaucracy is an important issue. The police themselves are understaffed, underfunded and underpaid.

Just watching this now - I have respected the Edhi Foundation, even more so now. Amazing work by the Edhi Morgue workers. They are giving janaaza prayers to a deceased. Unbelievable.

Interesting phrase - who controls Karachi, controls Pakistan.

The armed militias can even be said to be 'better trained' at using weapons than the police themselves.

In Lyari now, in a Baloch dominated area. Uzair Baloch: 99% of police officers in Pakistan are corrupt. They will do anything for money so these pathetic guys get privileges because they speak against me.

An old man walks up to Ross Kemp and goes on a rant - 'Sir we are being oppressed. Why is that ? Our ancestors (Baloch) have been here for the last two to five hundred years. We gave refuse to the MQM people in God's name. Today they call us terrorists. Give us justice and let us live. Or just throw a bomb and wipe us out'.

From old men and women to youngsters, they are all shaking hands with Uzair Baloch and kissing his hands on this walkabout. They are giving him a royalty-like status.

Last edited by Markhor; 6th September 2012 at 17:58.
Old 8th September 2012, 12:11
PP Exclusives and Interviews Team

Debut: Jun 2001
Runs: 59,048
Ross Kemp Extreme World : Karachi

Watched it last night.

Interesting viewing.

Anybody else seen it?
Old 8th September 2012, 12:13
PP Exclusives and Interviews Team

Debut: Jun 2001
Runs: 59,048
Here's some audio commentary from the producer and director :-

http://sky1.sky.com/ross-kemp-extrem...dio-commentary
Old 8th September 2012, 12:20
Local Club Regular

Venue: Nottignham
Runs: 674
jus telling u thrs 2 other threads on this, should put that link in other
Old 8th September 2012, 13:33
Test Match Debutant

Third thread on this

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/se...archid=2149228

But yeah, fascinating documentary. I have to say I sympathise with the police who have an impossible task. Kemp hit the nail on the head - 1 policeman for every 2000 people - how on earth can you possibly keep law and order ?

Old 8th September 2012, 14:10
Local Club Star

Debut: Jun 2010
Runs: 1,652
Certainly not a very fair documentary. It focused solely upon the PPP and Uzair Baloch.

I would've liked Ross Kemp to have provided us the MQM's point of view as well. ANP obviously has little to do with Lyari.
Old 8th September 2012, 14:20
ODI Star

Debut: May 2007
Runs: 22,334
Quote:
There is only one officer for every 2000 people
Yeah and that officer is either an MQaatilM criminal, ANP criminal or PPP criminal
Old 8th September 2012, 23:51
T20I Star

Quote:
Lol they can`t because of the demographics . Baloch vote for PPP no matter what . MQM is much better off campaigning somewhere else .
Old 8th September 2012, 23:54
T20I Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markhor
Third thread on this

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/se...archid=2149228

But yeah, fascinating documentary. I have to say I sympathise with the police who have an impossible task. Kemp hit the nail on the head - 1 policeman for every 2000 people - how on earth can you possibly keep law and order ?
Even if you reverse the ratio making it 2000 policemen for every one person , the situation is unlikely to change because of our judicial system and laws not being implemented on everyone .

Just my opinion .
Old 9th September 2012, 01:18
ODI Star

Debut: May 2007
Runs: 22,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney
Even if you reverse the ratio making it 2000 policemen for every one person , the situation is unlikely to change because of our judicial system and laws not being implemented on everyone .

Just my opinion .
ooh be careful, you're beginning to sound like
Old 9th September 2012, 10:14
Local Club Regular

Runs: 806
So sad to see Karachi in this state
Old 9th September 2012, 15:27
Test Match Debutant

Debut: Mar 2010
Runs: 14,546
ppp is giving arms and money to the gangsters of lyari and the mqm's using the police to launch an attack on them. Quite sad. In all of this, it's obvious that mqm needs to be destroyed.

Anyway, I remember last year uzair said that they'll never vote for ppp again, lets see what happens.
Old 9th September 2012, 15:59
Test Match Debutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0tt0man
Certainly not a very fair documentary. It focused solely upon the PPP and Uzair Baloch.

I would've liked Ross Kemp to have provided us the MQM's point of view as well. ANP obviously has little to do with Lyari.
MQM probably didn't want to speak to the cameras.

Sad to see that young kid with a bullet in his leg but yet still kissed Uzair Baloch's hand. What's wrong with these people ?

The bit where the old man and Ross Kemp didn't quite know how to say goodbye

Kemp put his hand on his chest (after seeing people do that after giving salam) and the old man gave some sort of military salute ! Bystanders were smirking at that bit

27:37

Last edited by Markhor; 9th September 2012 at 16:05.
Old 9th September 2012, 16:28
Tape Ball Regular

Debut: Sep 2012
Runs: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saj
Watched it last night.

Interesting viewing.

Anybody else seen it?
I saw it just now buddy right till 38+ minutes & stopped where they showed those mourning women besides the corpse . My take :
[a]extortion & kidnapping seems to be the main game .
[b]28 policemen dead in 3 months is a crazy figure if true .
[c]that EDHI van driver ,some one give these guys a bonus,hug & a grand meal .
[d]Uzair Baloch looks like any sikh truck driver who had his hair cut . You can find 100's on dhabas around Indian highways .25 murders they say he has against his name,cant your paramilitary force take him out ?
[e]those numbered graves were very eerie .
Old 9th September 2012, 19:52
T20I Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohsin
ooh be careful, you're beginning to sound like
Great " burgers " think alike .