Go Back   PakPassion - Pakistan Cricket Forum > Sport > Cricket

Share This Forum!  

Old 23rd December 2012, 09:38
ODI Debutant

Debut: Jan 2005
Venue: Leeds
Runs: 12,463
MS Dhoni: "Winning the toss will be crucial"

With just two days to go before the all-important clash between the arch-rivals, Indian captain MS Dhoni has highlighted the toss of the coin as being a crucial factor in determining the outcome of the series. Dhoni suggested that the two teams were evenly matched, hence it was vital to gain an early advantage by winning the toss.

"Winning the toss will be crucial because dew may have an impact. If you see both the sides, they are quite same. Their ability to play spinners is quite same. I think it will be nice couple of games," he said after the last-ball defeat to England in the second T20I.

Fans around the world are eagerly awaiting the start of this series, but MS Dhoni played down the hype, pointing out that every India series is important, and that the players were used to the pressure. "Tell me one series which is not big for us" he said. "Whether we play England, Pakistan, Australia or any other series. For us it is all the same."

"That is how we look at it and don't really look into who we are playing because that can only increase the pressure. We keep it very simple, whoever the opposition is. We look at the format and try to execute our plans."

India have recently completed a grueling four-match test series against England, and will compete in the ODI series against them in the New Year, immediately after the Pakistan tour. Dhoni advised his players that if the non-stop cricket schedule was taking its toll on anyone, they need to tell the BCCI to avoid injuries. "As an individual, if you feel that playing a series or the next few games you may get injured, which may take you out of the game for six to eight weeks, then it is better off to tell BCCI that you need some rest because you won't be available if you play a few games so it's crucial."

"I am not worried about too many series happening because I am someone who loves to play cricket. Maybe a few years from the other end will be shortened because of the amount of cricket we play.

"But it is a good thing because you are always playing the best bowlers in the world and the momentum keeps you going. I am not worried about too many games."

Bangalore hosts the first T20I between India and Pakistan on Christmas Day, before the sides move on to Ahmedabad for the final T20I on 28 December. The ODI series commences two days later in Chennai, followed by two more games, in Kolkata on 3 January and in Delhi on 6 January.

Last edited by Shayan; 23rd December 2012 at 10:40.
Old 23rd December 2012, 10:19
T20I Star

Debut: Dec 2008
Venue: Norway
Runs: 20,384
Stating the obvious. Dew plays a vital role in the winters there.
Old 23rd December 2012, 10:21
Tape Ball Captain

Debut: Nov 2012
Runs: 1,736
yup, win toss & bowl...avoid the dew .
Old 23rd December 2012, 10:23
T20I Debutant

Debut: Feb 2009
Venue: Watford, UK
Runs: 7,496
It should have been an earlier start then.
Old 23rd December 2012, 10:26
Tape Ball Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90MPH
It should have been an earlier start then.
i think it is at noon ....earlier than that would have made it a day game
Old 23rd December 2012, 10:27
Tape Ball Captain

btw, dew would come into play like in last 20 overs of match.... still,a wet ball is a huge disadvantage .
Old 23rd December 2012, 11:59
Test Match Star

Venue: lahore
Runs: 26,482
Dew factor has made the toss very very crucial. The one who loses the toss pretty much lost the game.

Heard it a Hundred times and counting.
Old 23rd December 2012, 12:02
Test Match Debutant

Debut: Feb 2010
Venue: Chandigarh
Runs: 15,167
Quote:
Fans around the world are eagerly awaiting the start of this series, but MS Dhoni played down the hype, pointing out that every India series is important, and that the players were used to the pressure. "Tell me one series which is not big for us" he said. "Whether we play England, Pakistan, Australia or any other series. For us it is all the same."

"That is how we look at it and don't really look into who we are playing because that can only increase the pressure. We keep it very simple, whoever the opposition is. We look at the format and try to execute our plans."
big difference between Indian n Pak teams in approaching Indo-Pak games recently
Old 23rd December 2012, 13:30
T20I Debutant

Runs: 8,484
Junaid khan,Hafeez.Saeed ajmal will do well in bowling for us
hopefully Gul comeback in From
Old 23rd December 2012, 13:37
ODI Debutant

Debut: Oct 2012
Venue: Republic of Wadiya
Runs: 10,710
Win the toss and bowl. Hard to contain on Indian roads plus the dew is a major factor as well. does have the knack of winning the toss most times than not (at least from what I have seen) so it will be interesting.
Old 23rd December 2012, 14:12
World Star

Debut: Dec 2010
Venue: Court Room
Runs: 51,308
Its sad that Toss plays an important role , its bad for cricket.
Old 23rd December 2012, 15:31
T20I Debutant

Debut: Nov 2010
Venue: Between Venus & Mars
Runs: 6,390
Preparing his list of excuses.......in case........
Old 23rd December 2012, 15:44
Tape Ball Captain

Runs: 2,010
It is because of the dew that the timings have been adjusted, in the T20's I don't really see Dew as a major factor, neither will it be in the day game at Chennai, the two ODI's at Kolkata and Delhi there the dew may play an important role esp in the last 20 overs or so of the innings.
Old 23rd December 2012, 15:46
Test Match Debutant

Debut: Feb 2010
Venue: Chandigarh
Runs: 15,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by waqar goraya
Preparing his list of excuses.......in case........
yes,helping Hafeez with that