Go Back   PakPassion - Pakistan Cricket Forum > Sport > Cricket

Share This Forum!  

Old 7th March 2013, 02:42
PakPassion Moderator

Debut: Jun 2006
Runs: 13,568
Pakistan cricket in need of some direction: Waqar Younis

Quote:
Pakistan cricket is going through one of the toughest phases in its history.
Foreign teams refuse to visit Pakistan due to security concerns and Pakistan Cricket Board’s efforts to revive international cricket in the country are bearing no fruits at the moment.

The PCB tried to start a Twenty20 league (Pakistan Super League) on the lines of Indian Premier League but due to the unavailibility of foreign players the plans had to be shelved for the moment. Many of the top players of the world are willing to be part of the league if it is played outside Pakistan.

Adding to the woes, recently, Pakistan were whitewashed by South Africa in the three-Test series. Though Pakistan won a Twenty20 match on Sunday, the heavy defeat in the Tests needs attention.

Waqar Younis, former coach and legendry fast bowler of Pakistan, while talking to Khaleej Times shed some light on the pathetic condition of Pakistan cricket.

“South Africa tour is always a very hard and we used to struggle there in the beginning but we always made a comeback and tried to make a match of it.

“It is a very difficult time for Pakistan team and they look like a disjointed unit. Their capitulation against South Africa is very alarming. The team needs some direction and it can only be done by the coaches. During my tenure as Pakistan coach I always tried to convince players to put the team’s interest ahead of everything.

“The scars of this defeat will take time to heal and powers-that-be in the PCB should pay attention to this by helping players to come out of this abyss. South Africa are coming here next year and I hope they will be well prepared. We played well against them in the previous series in the UAE by drawing all the Tests,” Waqar said.

Pakistan were bowled out for 49 in the first Test in South Africa and none of the batsmen put up any resistance. Only two centuries were scored by Pakistani batsmen on the tour — one by experienced Younis Khan and the other by young Asad Shafiq. It was a dismal performance as a team but captain Misbahul Haq looked completely out of sorts. Waqar agreed Misbah failed to deliver as captain and a player, but says: “Not only Misbah, the whole team failed to perform. Remove him as a captain but is there anyone capable to lead the team? Mohammad Hafeez showed some promise in the past but his own performance abroad in Test matches is below average. He is good enough in shorter versions the game but giving him the reins of Test team at the moment might not be a wise decision.”

Many former greats of Pakistan are seeking the removal of Dav Whatmore as a coach and he is under pressure after bad results.

“It was bound to happen after such a dismal Test series. I don’t want to criticise him since I used to be Pakistan coach recently. I know how difficult job it is.

“Some introspection is needed to put the team back on track. It is high time for the coaching staff to help solve the problems in the minds of the players.”

Waqar and Wasim Akram terrorised the batsmen of the world with their fearsome bowling. But the master of swing laments the attitude of players when it comes to playing Test cricket.

“Now players need shortcuts to prominence and want to play only shorter versions of the game.

“Pakistan were struggling to find fast bowlers for the Test series on the tour as we saw a number debuts by fast bowlers but as soon as T20 arrived we found many quickies ready to have a go at it. Test cricket is the ultimate and we have to pay attention to it,” former Pakistan captain concluded.
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/sport/in...n=nationsports
Old 7th March 2013, 02:57
Tape Ball Regular

Debut: Aug 2006
Runs: 533
When Waqar captained Pakistan on the tour to SA in 2002-03 the team lost the ODI series 4-1 and the test series 2-0. We saw how the team performed in the 2003 WC under his captaincy. Under his coaching the team lost terribly to England in 2010. So not sure what he means by Pakistan team's coming back stronger.

I was not satisfied with his coaching, the team's batting needed attention which he was not capable of addressing on his own and when the PCB tries to rope in Miandad to fix the team's batting issues Waqar objects.

As far as T-20 Cricket is concerned, the W's need to accept the fact that T-20 cricket was not there during their playing days. Had it been there and with the amount of money on offer it would have been interesting to see what they would have prioritized. Its not like they ever let go of their county commitments for Pakistan during their playing days.
Old 7th March 2013, 03:32
Local Club Star

Debut: Feb 2013
Runs: 1,409
Even though i m in no love with Pakistan, i feel bad for Pakistan cricket and their cricketers. Its unfortunate that they don't get to play at home at all, m sure they will win a lot of home matches if they ever get there. Good thing is the current team though short on talent is making up for it by hard work, which btw will help them sail through the tough times. Somehow Pakistani batsmen seem to lack confidence, they just don't hit enough shots in a test match. I think all they need is some confidence, and constant criticism of fans wouldnt help.

Further, they don't get to play IPL, but problems are further compounded when you have players not just alleged, but convicted and jailed for fixing. I don't know whats the way out, my heart says they should be allowed to play IPL and make good money, which they deserve but then my brains says they might even fix matches in IPL.
Old 7th March 2013, 09:42
Tape Ball Captain

Debut: May 2010
Venue: Dubai
Runs: 1,903
Waqar is being really over the top. Agreed we were poor in the test series but that was very much expected. The problem isn't Whatmore. The problem is the batting and the fact that they just can't play on hard and bouncy South African pitches. Lets not forget South Africa has the best pace attack in the world as well. Pakistan needs to invest in its batting department. Whether its coaches, pitches they have to rectify this problem and there is no short term fix to it.
Old 7th March 2013, 10:01
Local Club Regular

Debut: Dec 2012
Venue: Old Trafford Cricket Ground
Runs: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by proud_pakistani
Waqar is being really over the top. Agreed we were poor in the test series but that was very much expected. The problem isn't Whatmore. The problem is the batting and the fact that they just can't play on hard and bouncy South African pitches. Lets not forget South Africa has the best pace attack in the world as well. Pakistan needs to invest in its batting department. Whether its coaches, pitches they have to rectify this problem and there is no short term fix to it.
this
Old 7th March 2013, 12:13
First Class Star

Runs: 4,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungi
Even though i m in no love with Pakistan, i feel bad for Pakistan cricket and their cricketers. Its unfortunate that they don't get to play at home at all, m sure they will win a lot of home matches if they ever get there. Good thing is the current team though short on talent is making up for it by hard work, which btw will help them sail through the tough times. Somehow Pakistani batsmen seem to lack confidence, they just don't hit enough shots in a test match. I think all they need is some confidence, and constant criticism of fans wouldnt help.

Further, they don't get to play IPL, but problems are further compounded when you have players not just alleged, but convicted and jailed for fixing. I don't know whats the way out, my heart says they should be allowed to play IPL and make good money, which they deserve but then my brains says they might even fix matches in IPL.
IPL matches are fixed anyways my friend
Old 7th March 2013, 13:49
First Class Player

Debut: Aug 2012
Runs: 2,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger
When Waqar captained Pakistan on the tour to SA in 2002-03 the team lost the ODI series 4-1 and the test series 2-0. We saw how the team performed in the 2003 WC under his captaincy. Under his coaching the team lost terribly to England in 2010. So not sure what he means by Pakistan team's coming back stronger.

I was not satisfied with his coaching, the team's batting needed attention which he was not capable of addressing on his own and when the PCB tries to rope in Miandad to fix the team's batting issues Waqar objects.
Fantastic post.

I must also add that during WI tour Waqar the coach, was mysteriously supporting Imran Farhat to be included in the playing squad and Afridi (the captain) did not want Farhat to play. Afridi held is ground and decided not to play if Farhat was included.
Old 7th March 2013, 15:08
World Star

Debut: Dec 2010
Venue: Court Room
Runs: 51,617
is a legend as far as bowling is concerned , but when it comes to tactics he is poor. He will never be a good coach.
Old 7th March 2013, 16:14
Local Club Regular

Debut: Oct 2011
Runs: 604
I don't know what his expectations from a team , who have couple of names who had previously visited SA and knew conditions a little bit, and a team which hardly played test cricket in last year. It's no fault of Watmore, he is doing fantastic job in my point of view.
Old 7th March 2013, 22:53
Newcomer

Runs: 15
Australia is constantly losing but no one talks about removal of the coach. I don't know why is this culture there in Pakistan. It's a shame when ex cricketers task about this'd. They should understand better than fans and be sensible haninng been gone through such ordeal themselves
Old 8th March 2013, 06:34
Local Club Captain

Debut: Jul 2009
Venue: Texas, USA
Runs: 2,562
Its all about preparartion for the tour and right selection. Can't count on Malika and Afridi to make runs in SA.