User Name Password
Go Back   PakPassion - Pakistan Cricket Forum > Sport > Cricket

Share This Forum!  

Old 7th December 2010, 06:18
T20I Debutant

Debut: Nov 2007
Runs: 8,187
Why the Shahzaib v Fawad comparisons?

There are quite a few posters here who support Shahzaib Hasan to a rather unbelievable extent (the guy is a natural, they say and will be one of the best in the upcoming decade), but seem to have a lot of hatred for Fawad Alam (can't get it off the square, they chant, taking one or two scratchy innings out of a decent career to support their point). I personally have nothing against either of these guys, but here's my perspective.

Shahzaib is not hugely talented by a long shot. He's a hefty hitter who can win the occasional L/O match. That said, he isn't the mindless, talentless swatter his critics make him out to be either. He's played a couple of innings that show that, while not a world-beater yet, he has potential to be a genuinely attacking opener.

That said, I believe Fawad is a far, far better prospect. Before King Leonidos jumps me for saying this let me say why: Fawad may not win matches on his own, but he can anchor a successful run much as other unusual, gritty players like Younus and Miandad (I know, big boots and unfair comparison, but I mean he should try to look up to these types of players) do. With abundant strokeplayers in our side a second-fiddle is necessary.

Technique-wise, Fawad has a rather ugly-looking stance where he shuffles around far too much to try and nudge the ball into gaps. He used to be a pretty decent striker as well early on, but recently has seemed uncomfortable going for big hits. Shahzaib is in many ways the opposite. Where Fawad shuffles unnecessarily, Shahzaib has zilch footwork and prefers to stand and drub from the crease.

Results wise, both have had their ups and downs. So far Fawad has started out a decent career, with several hard-knuckled back-to-the-wall fifties when they've been needed. What has impressed me is that even though he was in terrible form against RSA he still managed to score useful runs at a passable clip (59 off 69, in fact, is very brisk). That says quite a bit about his mental strength. And considering he's our only Test centurion away from home, he deserves a run. Shahzaib started out decently in Twenty20s, but had a slump in England. If he continues to pillage domestic runs as he has though, he also deserves a spot.

Domestic results wise: This is a rare similarity between these two. Shahzaib has mauled runs aplenty in domestic one-days. Fawad has accumulated plenty of domestic runs as well for years.

The bottom line is, at the moment both deserve their place. Cricket is a diverse game that allows for different types of batsmen, and at the moment both Fawad and Shahzaib have started off well
Old 7th December 2010, 09:10
T20I Debutant

Debut: Aug 2010
Runs: 7,716
Funny !

after the initial mock, you've compared the two in the remaining posts.
Old 7th December 2010, 10:05
World Star

Debut: Dec 2010
Venue: Court Room
Runs: 51,101
S. Hasan is good enough for domestic matches. He was played in lots of opportunities.
His average after 10 2020 internationals is pathetic 11.6 ,

His technique is not good. Against real fast bowlers he will always struggle.
Old 7th December 2010, 10:09
First Class Captain

Debut: Jan 2009
Venue: Wardown Park - Luton
Runs: 4,330
The people who put competition between the two saying that, Shahzaib should be in the team instead of Fawad are complete idiots Im sorry to say.

As mentioned before, ones a hard hitting opener making use of power play, ones a middle order accumulator. Both can be accomodated in good time, if they continue scoring runs when giving the chance.
Old 7th December 2010, 10:11
First Class Captain

Debut: Oct 2010
Runs: 4,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by farazaidi
Funny !

HAHAHHA!!!! Lol.....that was funny
Old 7th December 2010, 10:17
First Class Captain

Debut: Apr 2009
Venue: Pakistan
Runs: 5,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1137moiz
There are quite a few posters here who support Shahzaib Hasan to a rather unbelievable extent (the guy is a natural, they say and will be one of the best in the upcoming decade), but seem to have a lot of hatred for Fawad Alam (can't get it off the square, they chant, taking one or two scratchy innings out of a decent career to support their point). I personally have nothing against either of these guys, but here's my perspective.

Shahzaib is not hugely talented by a long shot. He's a hefty hitter who can win the occasional L/O match. That said, he isn't the mindless, talentless swatter his critics make him out to be either. He's played a couple of innings that show that, while not a world-beater yet, he has potential to be a genuinely attacking opener.

That said, I believe Fawad is a far, far better prospect. Before King Leonidos jumps me for saying this let me say why: Fawad may not win matches on his own, but he can anchor a successful run much as other unusual, gritty players like Younus and Miandad (I know, big boots and unfair comparison, but I mean he should try to look up to these types of players) do. With abundant strokeplayers in our side a second-fiddle is necessary.

Technique-wise, Fawad has a rather ugly-looking stance where he shuffles around far too much to try and nudge the ball into gaps. He used to be a pretty decent striker as well early on, but recently has seemed uncomfortable going for big hits. Shahzaib is in many ways the opposite. Where Fawad shuffles unnecessarily, Shahzaib has zilch footwork and prefers to stand and drub from the crease.

Results wise, both have had their ups and downs. So far Fawad has started out a decent career, with several hard-knuckled back-to-the-wall fifties when they've been needed. What has impressed me is that even though he was in terrible form against RSA he still managed to score useful runs at a passable clip (59 off 69, in fact, is very brisk). That says quite a bit about his mental strength. And considering he's our only Test centurion away from home, he deserves a run. Shahzaib started out decently in Twenty20s, but had a slump in England. If he continues to pillage domestic runs as he has though, he also deserves a spot.

Domestic results wise: This is a rare similarity between these two. Shahzaib has mauled runs aplenty in domestic one-days. Fawad has accumulated plenty of domestic runs as well for years.
The bottom line is, at the moment both deserve their place. Cricket is a diverse game that allows for different types of batsmen, and at the moment both Fawad and Shahzaib have started off well
In first class, there's a 22 run difference between their respective averages (34.53 and 56.87), not similar by any stretch of the imagination. Pretty close in list A though, 41.7(Shahzaib) and 43.1(Fawad).
Old 7th December 2010, 10:21
Test Match Debutant

Debut: Feb 2010
Venue: Delhi,India
Runs: 14,223
with so many hitter .....Fawad is more suitable then Shahzaib in the playing XI

People fight for Religion
People die for Religion
But
People do not follow the Religion
Old 7th December 2010, 10:25
First Class Captain

Debut: Aug 2009
Venue: Terrestrial
Runs: 4,635
I would highly appreciate if both of them are kept out of thick of things atleast till the WC.
Old 7th December 2010, 10:25
T20I Debutant

Debut: Mar 2010
Venue: Karachi
Runs: 7,034
There is no comparison between the two! Coz every thing is different between the two!

Different position, different style, different role and different technique! etc etc!
#1 FAN AND DIE HARD SUPPORTER OF SHAHZAIB HASSAN
Old 7th December 2010, 10:27
T20I Debutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzeel
In first class, there's a 22 run difference between their respective averages (34.53 and 56.87), not similar by any stretch of the imagination. Pretty close in list A though, 41.7(Shahzaib) and 43.1(Fawad).
That's because shahzaib is more suited to LOIs and fawad for tests!
Old 7th December 2010, 10:28
T20I Debutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassam Nasarullah
I would highly appreciate if both of them are kept out of thick of things atleast till the WC.
Your replacement for them??
Old 7th December 2010, 10:29
T20I Debutant

Debut: Nov 2008
Venue: London
Runs: 8,076
Both of them don't belong in our team.
Old 7th December 2010, 10:30
First Class Player

Debut: May 2009
Venue: Sharjah
Runs: 3,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhussain33
the people who put competition between the two saying that, shahzaib should be in the team instead of fawad are complete idiots im sorry to say.

as mentioned before, ones a hard hitting opener making use of power play, ones a middle order accumulator. Both can be accomodated in good time, if they continue scoring runs when giving the chance.
Old 7th December 2010, 10:30
T20I Debutant

Debut: Nov 2008
Venue: London
Runs: 8,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykhan
Ahmed Shahzed for Shahzaib. Or maybe Kamran if he comes back. Or even Imran Nazir.

For Fawad. Shafiq? Not sure you can fit both in, and U Akmal with Younis returning.
Old 7th December 2010, 10:31
First Class Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykhan
Malik (if available) for Fawad Alam.

Regarding Shahzaib, I personally would want Kami to open with Hafeez along with Azhar Ali playing in the middle order.
Old 7th December 2010, 10:32
First Class Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz
Ahmed Shahzed for Shahzaib. Or maybe Kamran if he comes back. Or even Imran Nazir.

For Fawad. Shafiq? Not sure you can fit both in, and U Akmal with Younis returning.
Yes that is a good option as well.
Old 7th December 2010, 10:36
Test Match Debutant

Debut: Feb 2010
Venue: Delhi,India
Runs: 14,223
Kami should always be the 1st option for opening in LO cricket ...he is a regular contributor

People fight for Religion
People die for Religion
But
People do not follow the Religion
Old 7th December 2010, 10:37
T20I Debutant

Quote:

Ahmed still not tested yet! So he isn't a repalcement yet! And imran got more thanl enough oppurtunities he deserve! so he is out of contention!

Kami is accepted!

and fawad has out performed shafiq and umar akmal in this year?? so how can u replace him with the guyss who have performed less than him??
Old 7th December 2010, 10:39
T20I Debutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassam Nasarullah
Malik (if available) for Fawad Alam.

Regarding Shahzaib, I personally would want Kami to open with Hafeez along with Azhar Ali playing in the middle order.
Malik is outdone by fawad many times! And on the recent performances of fawad in ODIs, fawad should stay ahead of malik, shafiq, umar akmal!

There are many contenders in the middle order! Azhar ali is the least acceptable!
Old 7th December 2010, 13:42
First Class Captain

Debut: Oct 2007
Venue: Milwaukee
Runs: 4,542
cool, a thread to the most overrated cricketers on this forum
Old 7th December 2010, 13:57
T20I Debutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by farazaidi
Funny !

oops, I mean why the "Shahzaib-Fawad exclusive comparisons"
Old 7th December 2010, 13:58
T20I Debutant

Quote:

Vous a le point, mate, but both have performed decently enough
Old 7th December 2010, 14:15
First Class Player

Debut: Apr 2010
Venue: Oslo, Norway
Runs: 3,082
Can't really compare them, one plays an anchor role to the inning, and one plays his shots and attacks the opposition
Old 7th December 2010, 14:19
Test Match Debutant

Debut: Jan 2006
Runs: 13,321
Comparing Fawad and Shahzaib? lol it's like comparing Laptop with blonde.

Shahzaib vs Afridi would be a better comparison.
Old 7th December 2010, 18:57
Local Club Star

Debut: Nov 2009
Runs: 1,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan0987
Can't really compare them, one plays an anchor role to the inning, and one plays his shots and attacks the opposition
all other countries anchors on the planet know how to hit when it is required but one spciall anchor
Old 7th December 2010, 22:17
T20I Star

Runs: 17,286
Shahzaib played aggressively against NZ bowlers because we had to win with a better NRR.He played a very good inning against Sri lanka and showed solid temperament which resulted in Pakistan's WC win over lankans,don't underestimate him

Fawad is no way near Shahzaib.Shahzaib is a better LOI cricketer and Fawad is more suited for test cricket but somehow he manages to find his way to the ODIs and T20 team.

Shahzaib is 10000000000x times better player than him
Old 7th December 2010, 22:21
T20I Debutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Nadeem
Shahzaib played aggressively against NZ bowlers because we had to win with a better NRR.He played a very good inning against Sri lanka and showed solid temperament which resulted in Pakistan's WC win over lankans,don't underestimate him

Fawad is no way near Shahzaib.Shahzaib is a better LOI cricketer and Fawad is more suited for test cricket but somehow he manages to find his way to the ODIs and T20 team.

Shahzaib is 10000000000x times better player than him
well technically Fawad's Twenty20 average and S/R are better than Hasan's
Old 7th December 2010, 22:22
T20I Star

Runs: 17,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1137moiz
well technically Fawad's Twenty20 average and S/R are better than Hasan's
I have explained in great details in that thread,why it is so
Old 7th December 2010, 22:23
T20I Debutant