User Name Password
Go Back   PakPassion - Pakistan Cricket Forum > Sport > Cricket

Share This Forum!  

Old 15th January 2012, 20:58
ODI Debutant

Debut: Apr 2006
Runs: 11,518
Mohammad Zahid's View: "Pakistan Should Unleash Wahab Riaz Against England"

With the battle between Pakistan and England due to commence in Tuesday, it’s becoming increasingly obvious that Pakistan are set to continue with the two-spinner strategy that has served them well in recent times. However, I have always felt you have to look at a number of things before arriving at such a decision – past performance is not necessarily an indicator of future success and different opposition line-ups provide varying challenges whilst also exhibiting varying weaknesses. Pitch conditions of course also influence team selection.

Given his recent form and experience, it is obvious that Umar Gul is the right choice to lead the attack. It is also heartening to see all of the bowlers looking fit and ready - sometimes it’s a challenge in itself to identify bowlers who are fit enough for Test match cricket, but at the moment it appears this is not a major concern in the Pakistani squad. Other areas to consider are form and rhythm, and whether a pitch suits a particular bowler. Also, although it has become unfashionable for teams to be selected based on opposition weaknesses, such points are also important to review before making the final decision.

If Pakistan decide to go with just two seamers, I would select Wahab Riaz alongside Umar Gul. Wahab is occasionally wayward, but he is the one bowler from all the available options who is capable of bowling at 90 miles per hour. It depends on whether Wahab is match-fit– Aizaz Cheema has played quite a few test matches recently and has proven his fitness, but Wahab himself has also been taking wickets in domestic cricket and has had a good season for National Bank.

My third seamer, should pitch conditions be conducive to such a decision, would be Aizaz Cheema. Even in the Middle East, early in the day it can be a little cooler and the pitches can offer quite a bit of assistance to pace bowlers - there may be very little grass on the pitch, but there will be moisture which causes the ball to seam.

I would expect England to focus on the strengths which have contributed to their success in the last seven or eight series – that of pace and swing bowling, although the likes of Jimmy Anderson and Chris Tremlett won’t have the kind of advantage they enjoy in England. England may well be tempted to select a second spinner, particularly given Graeme Swann picked up a minor injury recently and Monty Panesar’s five wickets in the warm-up game, but Pakistan have the advantage in that Younis Khan and Misbah-ul-Haq and the others are good players of spin. England will no doubt also assess pitch conditions. I think England will select Tremlett, Anderson, Broad and Swann.

I would hope to see some spinning tracks, as this would not only aid the Pakistani batsmen who are better players of spin than their English counterparts, but also supplement the strength of the spin bowlers Ajmal, Rehman and Hafeez. Every team takes advantage of home conditions and Pakistan should be no different.

We have observed the first hour of every day offering assistance to the bowlers in the UAE. However, teams will have to devise strategies for the periods after this when the pitches flatten out. There isn’t a lot of grass and as a result this will roughen up the ball, meaning Wahab Riaz and Umar Gul will be important as they are adept at utilising reverse swing. It’s something we have lost in recent times – the ability to reverse swing the ball – Waqar Younis worked with the bowlers for two years and should really have imparted more knowledge in this regard. Wahab especially will be important, as sheer pace is central towards attaining reverse swing. The team will have to look after the ball, but once it starts to reverse, my money would be on Wahab Riaz as he’s the one who is capable of consistently bowling over 90 miles per hour.

Both sides have good, if contrasting bowling resources and I look forward to seeing a competitive series between two teams who have experienced success of late.

Old 15th January 2012, 21:02
Tape Ball Regular

Debut: Nov 2010
Venue: Scotland
Runs: 534
What about junaid?
Old 15th January 2012, 21:18
T20I Debutant

Debut: Jan 2011
Venue: Karachi for life!
Runs: 6,808
its not unleashing considering wahab has already played 2 tests and an odi series against them
Old 15th January 2012, 21:20
ODI Debutant

Debut: Apr 2006
Runs: 11,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by PakPrince
its not unleashing considering wahab has already played 2 tests and an odi series against them
How so?
Old 15th January 2012, 21:54
Tape Ball Regular

Runs: 319
Who else are they going to unleash lol? Kinda common sense but Cheema should hit the bench and Wahab should come into the side.
Old 15th January 2012, 22:20
First Class Captain

Debut: Apr 2010
Venue: Portsmouth UK
Runs: 5,373
cheema, wahab and Gul and very similar bowlers.

Junaid is the match winner, i reckon the line up should be Gul, Junaid and Cheema with Ajmal and Hafeez handling the spinners department

but most likely we will go with 2 spinners and 2 fast bowlers so it may be Gul and Junaid
Old 15th January 2012, 22:21
Tape Ball Star

Debut: Dec 2011
Venue: UK
Runs: 998
I disagree Zahid, pecking order goes like this imo:

Junaid Khan
Wahab Riaz
Aizaz Cheema
Talha
Old 15th January 2012, 23:23
Tape Ball Regular

Runs: 319
I rate Wahab second best after Gul. Just my opinion.. but he has the poise and experience needed to face a tough England team. He has probably played against them when he was playing county cricket and can exploit their weaknesses. Plus Wahab can bat a bit.
Old 16th January 2012, 00:56
First Class Star

Debut: May 2010
Runs: 3,972
I think Junaid is a better new ball bowler than Wahab, but Wahab has got the extra pace and has the ability to pick up quick wickets and change the course of the game....Its a tough one and luckily im not the one picking the teams
Old 16th January 2012, 08:34
PPCL Best All rounder

Debut: Mar 2004
Venue: Manchester, UK
Runs: 94,880
I would personally go with Wahab and Gul as both bowlers are capable of taking quick wickets in clusters when they get it right. I do hope wahab is fit to play the 1st test.
Old 16th January 2012, 12:05
T20I Debutant

Debut: Feb 2005
Runs: 6,258
I think Pakistan should go with Junaid if he is full fit with Gul. He bowled exceptionally well against SL. If he is not fully fit then Wahab would be my next option.
Old 16th January 2012, 12:27
Tape Ball Star

Debut: Dec 2006
Runs: 1,007
Wahab and junaid should be playing. Gul is not in best form for last couple of years. He should be left out from last 11. Gul better to select for ODI or in t20s.
Old 16th January 2012, 13:15
PakPassion Administrator

Debut: Oct 2004
Runs: 66,208
The 90+ mph point is a valid one but what makes difference is the reverse which Junaid has shown

Also from a purely temperamental side of things, how will Wahab react to needle on the field?
Old 16th January 2012, 13:22
Local Club Regular

Runs: 827
Junaid is a MUST!Gull Is Finished, Specially For tests.
Old 16th January 2012, 13:38
Tape Ball Star

Debut: Nov 2011
Runs: 1,238
riaz,junaid,ajmal.. good attack
Old 16th January 2012, 15:52
ODI Debutant

Debut: Jan 2009
Runs: 10,717
do Zahid knows that Talha is also in the squad and he is faster than Riaz?
Old 16th January 2012, 16:11
Newcomer

Debut: Dec 2009
Runs: 46
Even considering Riaz to be anywhere near any cricket team is a travesty of justice and morality.
Old 16th January 2012, 16:15
T20I Star

Debut: Oct 2010
Runs: 20,744
Misbah will NEVER play Wahab Riaz , Misbah's grand plan is to cut the scoring rate and get wickets and Wahab is usually expensive.
Old 16th January 2012, 16:28
First Class Captain

Debut: Oct 2010
Venue: London (Lala Land- Education Minister)
Runs: 5,555
Riaz HAS to play, he's got that x factor

Shoaib Akhtar
Old 16th January 2012, 17:58
First Class Captain

Debut: Oct 2007
Venue: Milwaukee
Runs: 4,542
attack should be

gul
wahab
junaid
ajmal

and ofc hafeez

i'd back that side to take 20 wickets consistently
Old 16th January 2012, 18:12
Hall of Famer

Debut: Dec 2009
Runs: 61,449
Maybe the minority choice but Junaid must play imo, even if that means ahead of Riaz.

Wahab is very good at his niche but I think he's a bit of a one-trick pony in that he needs reverse swing (I know he did well in England at first change with a slightly newer ball but this is based on seeing him in general terms) to really be effective. Otherwise, he's a solid hardworker who'll keep running in but, without an inswinger, could be pretty innocuous. Junaid is young, unseen for England, and did well against SL. He should be thrown in try to catch England cold and can get more new ball movement than Wahab and also reverse it a bit (not as much Amir could) around the wicket which is very useful.

More of a natural new ball bowler by the looks of things too. It will extend the tail but may be worth the risk. Having said that, I won't be that dissapointed if Wahab is the one who ends up being selected so let's see what happens.
Old 16th January 2012, 18:15
Local Club Star

Debut: Aug 2010
Runs: 1,485
line-up should definitely be gul junaid ajmal rehman imo

these are the form bowlers
Old 16th January 2012, 18:16
Local Club Star

Runs: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi
attack should be

gul
wahab
junaid
ajmal

and ofc hafeez

i'd back that side to take 20 wickets consistently
wickets in the UAE are definitely turners if anything, pak should play to their strengths atm and perhaps england's weaknesses and pick two spinnners
Old 17th January 2012, 03:08
World Star

Debut: Dec 2010
Venue: Court Room
Runs: 51,308

Gul should be in shorter formats only, I would also get for test matches.
Old 17th January 2012, 03:19
First Class Star

Debut: Aug 2011
Venue: Australia...mate
Runs: 3,907
I would rather Junaid. He has been more consistent in his short time and i believe he may get Cook early.
Old 18th January 2012, 17:14
PP Exclusives and Interviews Team

Debut: Jun 2001
Runs: 59,100
Cheema's place is the one that is in doubt.

Let's see how he bowls in the second innings.
Old 18th January 2012, 17:15
First Class Player

Debut: Feb 2005
Venue: chorley
Runs: 2,754
>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saj
Cheema's place is the one that is in doubt.

Let's see how he bowls in the second innings.
why is gul an automatic choice?
Old 18th January 2012, 17:36
First Class Star

Cheema is not that great at least gul gets indippers in. Wahab should have been selected over cheema.
Old 18th January 2012, 17:43
PakPassion Moderator

Debut: Dec 2007
Venue: Aberdeen, Scotland
Runs: 5,345
For me cheema is bowling quicker and better than Gul. Gul has to go, wahab or junaid is a tough call.
Old 19th January 2012, 22:06
Local Club Regular

Debut: Mar 2006
Venue: yorkshire
Runs: 919
for me Junaid would better choice for second test,cheema is struggling with his hamstring and also it would give Pakistan a another option of left arm fast bowler.
Old 26th January 2012, 18:38
Local Club Regular

Debut: Feb 2011
Runs: 638
Anyone disappointed in Riaz's non-selection??

I personally am very disappointed bcuz he provides us with an x-factor we can't ignore, he's also in-form as he took quite a few wickets in domestic cricket before coming to the UAE and not to mention his recent performances in the UK. It's not that I dont like Junaid, he's really good but I still think Riaz should've got the nod ahead of Junaid cuz Riaz is also a more than useful batsman...anyone else disappointed?
Old 26th January 2012, 18:50
First Class Captain

Debut: Jan 2005
Venue: Chicago, USA
Runs: 4,861
I like Riaz because he has pace unlike trundlers Junaid and Gul.
Old 26th January 2012, 18:59
Local Club Regular

Debut: Jan 2010
Runs: 914
on this pitch that doesnt offer much for the pacers in terms of movement i think the best way to get wickets is with pure pace and thats what wahab has.
Old 26th January 2012, 19:00
T20I Star

Debut: Dec 2008
Venue: Norway
Runs: 20,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilawal666
I personally am very disappointed bcuz he provides us with an x-factor we can't ignore, he's also in-form as he took quite a few wickets in domestic cricket before coming to the UAE and not to mention his recent performances in the UK. It's not that I dont like Junaid, he's really good but I still think Riaz should've got the nod ahead of Junaid cuz Riaz is also a more than useful batsman...anyone else disappointed?
Before the 2nd Test everyone was talking about Junaid Khan and him providing the x-factor and now that he hasn't got any wicket you want Riaz. What if Riaz fails if picked for third Test? Sami would be next x-factor guy?

I like Riaz and he should have played first Test as well but it seems Pakistan are not "risking" him against England because of the off-field incidents. Can't see any other reason as he has been in good form.

But there could also be that he hasn't impressed in the nets?
Old 26th January 2012, 19:11
T20I Star

Debut: Oct 2005
Venue: Manchester United-Kingdom
Runs: 19,348
Problem with Riaz is same as Gul and Khan that they are not new ball bowlers. Talha could be an option.
Old 26th January 2012, 19:20
T20I Debutant

Debut: Mar 2006
Venue: London
Runs: 6,253
is there really no Akhtar type express quickie in pakistan?! must be surely
Old 2nd February 2012, 15:20
Local Club Regular

hoping that Riaz finally gets his chance to play tomorrow...
Old 2nd February 2012, 15:26
Hall of Famer

Venue: UAE
Runs: 58,579
The pitches just haven't been pacer-friendly, otherwise no doubt he should have plaed in a 3 man pace attack with Gul and Cheema.

Let's hope he gets a go in the 3rd Test.
Old 2nd February 2012, 15:38
Local Club Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ
The pitches just haven't been pacer-friendly, otherwise no doubt he should have plaed in a 3 man pace attack with Gul and Cheema.

Let's hope he gets a go in the 3rd Test.
yeah, im counting on it...
Old 2nd February 2012, 15:44
ODI Debutant

Debut: Apr 2011
Venue: Vancouver
Runs: 10,969
Misbah said it looks like a much more batting friendly pitch than last time

Don't think he will play regardless....
Old 2nd February 2012, 15:53
Tape Ball Star

Runs: 998
Wahab needs to have a go, let's see if his 150kph claims were true.
Old 2nd February 2012, 15:53
Hall of Famer

Venue: UAE
Runs: 58,579
Did he? Phir rehne do, aiween kamar turwayega.
Old 2nd February 2012, 16:09
Local Club Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade
Wahab needs to have a go, let's see if his 150kph claims were true.
he's an express bowler, he hit 150 k's in England so i'm not doubting that claim...I'm kinda excited to see it too
Old 2nd February 2012, 16:14
Local Club Regular

I honestly don't know why some ppl here are doubting Riaz's ability saying he only bowls well on certain days and I say that's bull considering he did so well in the world cup particularly in the semi final vs India...I even think he's more consistent than Gul who's yorkers are almost extinct
Old 3rd February 2012, 00:07
T20I Debutant

Debut: Nov 2007
Runs: 8,187
I do like Riaz. I don't think he has as much skill or consistency necessarily as some of the others, but he hits the crease hard and gives a full effort. Also he's the quickest bowler in the squad: Cheema, Gul and Junaid are fast-medium and generally bowl in the 130s
Old 3rd February 2012, 00:07
T20I Debutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjafirstslip
Cheema is not that great at least gul gets indippers in. Wahab should have been selected over cheema.
. Cheema's stock ball is the in-swinger.
Old 3rd February 2012, 00:11
First Class Star

^ i thought he just angled it in?
Old 3rd February 2012, 00:13
T20I Debutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjafirstslip
^ i thought he just angled it in?
Nah, he usually nips it in off the seam. I personally like Cheema however I can see why some call him one-dimensional because he doesn't move it both ways. Having said that I think he's underrated personally, he has usually stepped up MashaAllah and also Cheema's action is very similar to my own
Old 3rd February 2012, 00:13
Test Match Debutant

Debut: Jan 2006
Runs: 13,321
Get him in ... at least he can bat a bit.
Old 3rd February 2012, 00:18
Test Match Debutant

Debut: Jan 2006
Runs: 13,321
I can't believe Cheema can't bring the ball into the left handers. I would think he would because he has played first class for so long. If he can start bringing the ball into the left handers, and take it away from right handers, then he can become a lethal bowler. He is only 30% of a bowler now. I remember Amir couldn't bring the ball in to the right handers early in his career, he didn't pick up many wickets, but as soon as he started bowling those in swingers to right handers, he was much more lethal, went from 30% to 75%.
Old 3rd February 2012, 00:21
First Class Star

All our bowlers are quite ordinary stuff to asif and aamir, no point crying over spilled milk now.
Old 3rd February 2012, 00:22
First Class Star

cheema is like 30, old dogs don't learn new tricks.
Old 3rd February 2012, 00:28
Local Club Captain

Venue: Toronto/Karachi
Runs: 2,264
I'm pretty sure Cheema can move it both ways, just his stock delivery is the inswinger/indipper. I would really like to see Wahab tomorrow, but it would be a little harsh to drop Junaid after one bad game. However, this series is against the number one in the world, so it's understandable. If it's a flat track, the only thing that a bowler can do is bowl with pace, and that's what Wahab does. He also sometimes extracts bounce and away swing/seam movement from the lefties.
Old 3rd February 2012, 00:32
T20I Debutant

Osee: Cheema moves it away off the seam, he swings and seams it into the rightie. That is he swings it one way but seams it either way: pretty handy overall
Old 3rd February 2012, 02:10
Local Club Star

Venue: philadelphia
Runs: 1,668
Cheema is a hard worker gives it his all but I just can't ever see him picking up any left handers because of how his action is. he might get an edge to like the third slip but lbw, never, his ball pitches way outside leg stump. That said wahab is young and has pace, he should come in for this game. junaid should also be persisted with, but maybe this game wahab should get a chance
Old 3rd February 2012, 02:41
Local Club Captain

Debut: Apr 2010
Runs: 2,372
its about time!!!