User Name Password
Go Back   PakPassion - Pakistan Cricket Forum > Sport > Cricket

Share This Forum!  

Old 4th March 2013, 04:25
PakPassion Moderator

Debut: Jun 2006
Runs: 13,568
Beyond the Boundary: What Should be the Memory Span of a Cricket Fan?

Being a cricket fan these days is almost too good to be true. We have access to multiple forms of media, whether its online forums, analysis on television, or social media outlets. The action on the field is becoming faster and more innovative with tweaks to the rules and the Twenty20 format of the game. The cricket available for us to watch has even spoiled us to a point to where there is essentially no break in the international calendar. It has become the standard now for each bilateral series to extend across Tests, One Day Internationals, and Twenty20 Internationals. As a fan, however, where do you draw the line between these formats? Does one simply wipe the slate clean and start afresh with the change in number of overs?

There is no example that is more appropriate than the current tour of South Africa by the Pakistan national cricket team. They arrived to face the Proteas and whether you want to blame lack of preparation, inferior talent, or injuries, they failed to impress. Fans were left with a 0-3 whitewash in front of them as the players switched out of the whites. “Here come the T20Is and ODIs!” the commercials started telling us. As a fan, what do you carry over now? Do you throw everything you just viewed out the window and convince yourself that the change in format will bring a corresponding change in format? Even if it does, what are you left reflecting with when the tour is over? Is the 0-3 whitewash in the rear-view window as you celebrate your team holding up a limited overs trophy?

Does your opinion on the ability of certain players change as you seem them show up re-energized in colored clothing? Case in point, we watched Pakistan Test vice-captain Mohammad Hafeez score a paltry 43 runs in six test innings. Along come the T20Is, in which his previous three scores are 42, 61, and 55. As always, there will be two arguments. One cricket fan can argue that he is out of form and is not able to adjust to South African conditions as was evident on the tour so far. Another can point to the latter scores mentioned and defend his place in the T20I team at least. The result? After scoring 43 runs in six test innings, Hafeez doubled that total with 86 in yesterday’s T20I. Looking at the other side of the ball, and the leader of Pakistan’s pace attack, Umar Gul disappointed many with his showing in the test series with 5 wickets in the two matches he played. When it comes to T20Is, however, there aren’t many that have put up better performances in the past than the ones they call “Guldozer”. If you’re a fan, do you judge the fast bowler on the form he has shown on the current tour and prefer to field a new face such as Wahab Riaz? If you did and you allowed your memory be too short, you would have missed out on eye-boggling figures of 5-6 by Gul.

Not recognizing that the different formats each require their own skill sets can be disastrous. If your memory span as a cricket fan isn’t exactly right, you could end up picking players for limited overs based on their test performances or worse, dropping players in the shorter formats based on the same reason, not taking into account the records they’ve broken or matches they’ve won you in the past. This twist to the game has brought out headaches for selectors and coaches, but luckily for fans, we can sit back, kick our feet up and simply watch the action, regardless of format.
Old 4th March 2013, 04:30
PakPassion Administrator

Debut: Oct 2004
Runs: 66,214
Excellent piece

Fans have different ways of looking at series

Not long ago, there was a lot of chest beating when we lost to England in the ODI and T20 series - regardless of the fact that we won 3-0 in Tests.
Old 4th March 2013, 09:14
ODI Debutant

Debut: Jan 2005
Venue: Leeds
Runs: 12,463
Personally I take the 3 formats as separate entities, or at least, treat Tests completely separately to the other two.

Good point about the memory span though. It has been evident in the past that our selectors have picked/dropped players for one format based on their performances in another.
Old 4th March 2013, 09:33
PakPassion Moderator

Debut: Aug 2007
Venue: others´ hearts
Runs: 21,190
Good write up!
Old 4th March 2013, 11:00
Test Match Debutant

Debut: Feb 2005
Runs: 16,526
most new kiddy fans couldnt care less about the test format. Most of these bacah loag are brought up on English premeir league football, bad tv and movies and sound bites. Henc etheir attention spans normally last a few minutes at best. As a result for them ODI and T20's are where its at. Tests a re just a bunch of bhudda's keeping their places, doing tuk tuk all day and not slamming sixes. At the same time these bhudday are keeping 19 year old slam bam cricketers away from this form of cricket.

Personally I dont rate the opinion of many of these so called "fans" and just enjoy their nonsensical statements for example "Mark my words so and so will do so and so" or the best one is when they say things like "its an undeniable fact x yz etc " and then try to prove they are right when clearly their talking bunkum most of the time.

For me Test cricket is the pinnacle, everything else is mere entertainment. ODI's are good too but T20 is just a bit of WWE. Everything should be geared towards the Test game.
Old 4th March 2013, 12:34
T20I Debutant

Debut: Nov 2012
Venue: Perth
Runs: 6,927
In 2005 Australia won the ODI series in England. What series do people remember?

In 2006/07, England actually won the ODI series in Australia. What do people remember?
Old 4th March 2013, 12:39
ODI Debutant

Debut: Jan 2005
Venue: Leeds
Runs: 12,463
England also beat us in the ODIs in UAE after we whitewashed them. Even they don't care.
Old 4th March 2013, 12:43
First Class Captain

Debut: Oct 2008
Runs: 4,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict
In 2005 Australia won the ODI series in England. What series do people remember?

In 2006/07, England actually won the ODI series in Australia. What do people remember?
2005 test
2007 odi
Old 4th March 2013, 13:01
T20I Debutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RehanG
2005 test
2007 odi
Lol

I'd try to forget 5-0 as well
Old 4th March 2013, 13:10
First Class Captain

Debut: Nov 2011
Venue: Tukmenistan & Sidnaaaay
Runs: 4,259
Beyond the Boundary: What Should be the Memory Span of a Cricket Fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict

I think the Natwest tri series in 2005 ended in a 1-1 draw of best of 3 finals I think because one was a tie.

Last edited by Kwremb; 4th March 2013 at 13:11.
Old 4th March 2013, 13:22
T20I Debutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwremb
I think the Natwest tri series in 2005 ended in a 1-1 draw of best of 3 finals I think because one was a tie.
There was another bilateral series after that I'm pretty sure.
Old 5th March 2013, 15:18
T20I Debutant

Debut: Dec 2012
Venue: Indian Ocean
Runs: 7,329
No offense, but Pakistani fans especially have a memory of a goldfish. For instance, in any other country a bloke who has effectively been shown up to be a failure time and again in Kamran Akmal would have been disposed off and never looked at again, but even in this forum you get guys continually campaigning for his inclusion and lo and behold, he makes it into the squad.

Ditto Afridi - on what basis did he make the South Africa ODIs? , Sohail Tanvir, and so on.
Old 5th March 2013, 15:39
ODI Debutant

Debut: Apr 2006
Runs: 11,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun
No offense, but Pakistani fans especially have a memory of a goldfish. For instance, in any other country a bloke who has effectively been shown up to be a failure time and again in Kamran Akmal would have been disposed off and never looked at again, but even in this forum you get guys continually campaigning for his inclusion and lo and behold, he makes it into the squad.

Ditto Afridi - on what basis did he make the South Africa ODIs? , Sohail Tanvir, and so on.
Not sure what Pakistan fans have to do with the selection of Kamran Akmal or even Shahid Afridi for that matter.
Old 5th March 2013, 15:42
T20I Debutant

Debut: Dec 2012
Venue: Indian Ocean
Runs: 7,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSami
Not sure what Pakistan fans have to do with the selection of Kamran Akmal or even Shahid Afridi for that matter.
Because the thread title deals with 'fans', and the mentality of an average cricket fan of any nation is not too different from the higher ups in the cricketing set-up's.
Old 5th March 2013, 16:05
Test Match Debutant

Debut: Feb 2005
Runs: 16,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun
Because the thread title deals with 'fans', and the mentality of an average cricket fan of any nation is not too different from the higher ups in the cricketing set-up's.
agree. its amazing how accurate this theory is. Soon as the test series was over we heard the usual suspects bleating like sheep. Its also the reason no hopers like Malik keep getting picked. A weird perception thing or maybe its just collective bromance?
Old 9th March 2013, 06:06
Test Match Debutant

Debut: Jan 2006
Venue: Behind you
Runs: 13,052
Re: Beyond the Boundary: What Should be the Memory Span of a Cricket Fan?

This is why t20 and ODIs should only be an entree to the Test matches.

So the lasting impact from a series is the Test result. Simple.